How it started, and where it is taking me ...

Scottie

4 hours ago, Paul A said:

If one day there is the capability to transplant a brain.... would that mean someone could potentially live forever?

Interesting question!

Here is a related one about our individual consciousness. We all know we are the product of a particular egg cell and a particular sperm cell. Let's change just one of them. If a different egg cell joined with your same sperm cell, or your same egg cell joined with a different sperm cell at the moment of your conception, would you have been born? Would your consciousness (soul, self-awareness) have arose? Or would you not be here at all ... just that a sibling came along and not you? If not, then it is a miracle of numbers that we are even here at all ... got that one sperm cell out of the possible untold millions to join with that one egg out of the 2 to 4 million that our mothers were born with.

And what if you were born with an identical twin? Which set of eyes would you be looking through? :blink:

What about all the other odds that are against us. What if your father never met your mother ... or just one of your grandfathers did not meet your matching grandmother and so on ... and all the way back through time as far as you want to take it.  

Cells in the body are continually being replaced.

Some in the matter of days, months, others in years.

The body of a person is completely different from years ago.

Think it is the brain cells that are not replaced.  Seems some studies are suggesting brain cells can be replaced.  Ongoing debate.

7 hours ago, Paul A said:

Seems some studies are suggesting brain cells can be replaced.  Ongoing debate.

If they can be replaced, what would happen if it this occurred quickly vs slowly? If too quickly ... would our 1st person experience (consciousness) be at risk? Would we somehow just fall out of the mix if the new cells do not fully integrate and the overall brain could not retain the 'legacy' knowledge and/or memories? Our rapidly developing brain might cause the consciousness to get lost or end up something like a fetus in the womb ... barely aware of itself. The worst part of this is ... this new developing self might not be you ... and might not want to ride an EUC! :cry2:  

If slowly ... like a small child developing ... then we would be able to retain ourselves as the new cells fully integrate with what has or is happening. 

2 hours ago, OldFartRides said:

I watched the 1st hour so far. Those are two interesting guys.

The beginning of the video was on topic for this forum! I was thinking of an EUC during the early part when Joscha was describing the behavior of a controller and effector and how the controller strives to use the effector to neutralize what has become un-neutral.      

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The New Trail ...

... in the area goes over the bridge and through the woods. It was just paved a couple of days ago and I am eager to be the 1st single wheel vehicle rider to test it out. I have to do it before some stray OneWheel rider beats me to it. But I have to wait for this to blow through.

image.thumb.png.efa985e0b2ea0eda6071a74f09d1ad13.png

As soon as that moves through, I am on it! ... because I thought I heard the man say, "Roll well and live".  :eff034a94a:

Okay, my hearing was a little off. I just heard what I wanted to hear! :efef3d5527:  It is supposed to be almost 59 F / 15 C through midnight here, so I cannot let that lucky break go to waste. I should be okay to roll well and live by around 5 PM.

A little while ago after finishing my chores and before the rain, I was doing one of my favorite things ... riding the 16X and acting like a fool doing figure 8s and racing ants on the street in front of my house. I like to do that for 20 minutes or so when I do not have time to go for a cruise around town. The 16X is the best wheel for that slow, torquey foolishness. Sometimes the Mten3 is fun when I feel bold enough to try some backwards riding. I have managed maybe 7 meters at a time before my brain freaks out and I bail. I do not have a need for backwards riding, except for the fun of trying.

UPDATE: The Mten3 tire is still holding air just fine. Crossing my fingers that the tire does not disintegrate or something. But that should take a while if it does happen.

• Like 2

First Musical Ride

As usual, right-click a link and 'open in new tab' to preserve the flow of the story!

I have played music using the wheel speakers just to test it. But I have never played music during a ride, preferring to listen to the noise in my head or nothing at all. Today I made an exception and decided to try some riding music played through the wheel for the 1st time. It was a brisk 45 F (7 C) and sunny. That is a nice temperature for me and the wheel.

Most all of us probably have our personal lifetime favorites ... the soundtrack of our lives. I played this one 1st and let the rest flow out of the playlist at random. I added the circus music in the hopes that someday I will be rolling near a bunch of fun looking people and I would play it just to get some reactions. 

Later as I was rolling through and checking out a new park area that was built along the trail, this nice tune started playing. Her violin sounded great over the 16X speakers. They must work well in that frequency range. That tune caused me to start doing figure 8s for no reason. While I was rolling around the new park a couple of ladies asked me, "What is that thing called?". That is the question I hear the most.

After about 90 minutes of rolling around grooving to the sounds of my life, I was working my way back home and decided to roll through the cemetery to pay respects to the ancestors; not mine ... just all of them. The song that happened to start playing as I entered the cemetery was Over the Rainbow. That was a pleasant tune to enjoy as a rolled around the quiet place. I noticed the name on one headstone was "Leisure". That struck a chord! I was thinking about my father who just passed a couple of months ago when I looked up and saw the downtown skyline through the trees. Over the Rainbow lasted until I was rolling out of the cemetery.

The next song that started playing as I leaving the cemetery was Its My Life. I got the strong feeling that someone was telling me something!

I think I will try some more music on the next ride. Those professionals make lots of better sounds than the noise going on in my head. But I have to be careful. Those tunes made me ride faster and carve around a lot more ... gotta' watch that.     

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

dood needs a wheel

dood reminds me of Jason Bourne, or Mission Impossible's Ethan Hunt, or maybe James Bond. I hope to one day see one of these type of characters featured on a wheel for a good chase or escape scene in a big time movie.

Which character, and which wheel would be a good combo? Do we wait to see how the S20 pans out?

Oceans 14? You could do a group ride that splits up with the loot. Some escape through the city catacombs, others through the hills, decoys on the streets (bystander safety always first and foremost). Quick application of a power drill to the escape vehicles and poof... evidence is ash.

It would be a fun scene!

(did that video come out before parkour? Actor/stunt person was pretty adept)

An old friend and his daughter have been learning in fits and starts on my wheels. Today we met at the park and they both really got it today. They’re both skaters and skiers, etc. They really enjoyed the pump track through the woods.

Max wants a OneWheel, but I’m subverting him to the euc side. Heh.

• Like 3

Tuesday I hopped in the sports car to drive to Oldtown MD to check out the towpath conditions since I’d never been on it. I took the back roads by way of Keyser WV, Ft. Ashby WV, and Springfield. Green spring Road crosses the Potomac River into Oldtown on a low water toll bridge which is the last privately owned toll bridge in the country.

In hindsight, I should have used that beautiful day to start the trip, but I’d heard about monster mud holes and such, so it seemed sensible to scout it out. I rode “up” the path towards Cumberland about three miles. The path was double track, sized more like side by side than pick up. It was peaceful out of earshot of the road. In some places the canal had stagnant water. Other places it was dry. There’s a lock and a lock house at Oldtown. I encountered a couple of people on day hikes. The one fellow I talked to told me his great grandfather had emigrated here from Ireland and had worked on the canal construction.

On the way home I decided now was the time to at least ride part way. Spring and summer can be wet. Summer is hot and buggy. I called two buddies. One actually does freelance “ride service”, and the other would be back up for for him.

I started a list of absolute essentials for a knapsack. I would go ultralight.

Here is a link to one site with a map and mileage chart:

https://bikecando.com/c-and-o-map.aspx

• Like 2