Crazy Idea - has anyone ever tried slip-in / slip out straps on their pedals?

KiwiRoller

Title kinda says it all... I am wondering if anyone has ever tried strapping their feet to the pedals of their wheel?

I mean with the kind of straps that you could slide your foot into / out of easily, but if you were to say jump up, the wheel would come with you?

If they have tried it, was there any downside?

I remember that people tried some contraptions to always keep their feet on the pedal and that it ended up very badly.

As in, if you start wobbling you can't jump off and save yourself, instead you crash and end up with a 20-25 kg lawn dart tied to your ankles that drags you over the asphalt (with one foot invariably trapped under it).

• Like 3

Yeah, there's a reason ski bindings are designed to release under the right circumstances, otherwise you can get seriously injured, and that's with a pair of lightweight skis.  Anyway, look at making some pads that you can hook your ankles into.  Takes a bit of getting used to but makes the idea of strapping your feet in unnecessary.

• Like 3

Just now, Rehab1 said:

That’s using brevity at it’s finest! ;)

Had to try this whole brevity thing some day... :efee612b4b:

Longer version: You can't run off a bail if your feet are strapped to the wheel. Regardless of the speed, it's a recipe for disaster. Don't do it

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tazarinho said:

end up with a 20-25 kg lawn dart tied to your ankles that drags you over the asphalt (with one foot invariably trapped under it).

Good analogy. I was thinking, chained to a cannonball in flight before I read yours.  I like yours better. Although I think there is a cartoon of the well respected Mr. Wiley Coyote flying through the air chained to a cannonball. I believe it was that stupid birds fault.

Now that I think of it..... maybe we shouldn’t take advice from @meepmeepmayer

• Like 3

In cycling clipping in is common practice. I'm not sure it does lead to more injury.

Anyway you unclip by twisting your heel outward. In crashes you usually get unclipped automatically. Don't ask me how. Maybe that kind of system would work better?

I'm not for the idea just wanted to help think about it.

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

In cycling clipping in is common practice. I'm not sure it does lead to more injury.

Anyway you unclip by twisting your heel outward. In crashes you usually get unclipped automatically. Don't ask me how. Maybe that kind of system would work better?

I'm not for the idea just wanted to help think about it.

I haven't had problems unclipping when crashing my SPD pedals, but compared to EUC crashes bicycle crashes have more time to realize your crashing. And I've known riders who haven't unclipped and ended up breaking a wrist.

EUC crashes happen so fast that either you're gracefully running it off or you're rolling. There's rarely a warning, especially if you drag a pedal.

The MSupers all come with de facto Kuji rolls, so hooking your heels into that might be adequate.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I haven't had problems unclipping when crashing my SPD pedals, but compared to EUC crashes bicycle crashes have more time to realize your crashing. And I've known riders who haven't unclipped and ended up breaking a wrist.

EUC crashes happen so fast that either you're gracefully running it off or you're rolling. There's rarely a warning, especially if you drag a pedal.

The MSupers all come with de facto Kuji rolls, so hooking your heels into that might be adequate.

Also worth noting the effect of unclipping your feet from the pedal. On a bicycle the "lift-and-twist" motion has zero effect on the bicycle's direction, I don't think it would play out the same on an EUC...

And as you said, the way falls happen, your foot needs to be able to slide right off the pedal, you wouldn't have time to unclip your foot...

Bad idea...

• Like 2