Gotway Wireless Display (+video)

I've seen the following video on a Gotway facebook page

That shows a screen thingy that is connected directly to the wheel that displays information, changes settings and more.

I think its a micro controller with some kind of BLE functionality and maybe a linux micro-embedded system (?, i hope! :) ), maybe @Seba can help identify it?\

Does anyone know where to buy it, i've searched the internet and asked about it on their website but i haven't found any information, or received an answer. I'd like to take it apart and see what it makes it "tik" and use it when the pebble is out of battery! ;) 

Here are some screenshots.

image.png.6edf64b3c727bfd28b087067dc2cb39b.png

image.png.9af3629919dc20a9637cd325f74890f0.png

image.png.b8b563f42df77d104ecff519b6b64b79.png

image.png.99f8ac6cdb2d74ad6072bcf8765a5290.png

image.png.6b4684f9f5c13ebe4ce4b06c67e348e8.png

image.png.94dd33491d994dd704e28cdb50aaa8a8.png

image.png.be08a9a907b51e1320e777ea3a1f9708.png

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 2

I remember I also found it when searching for a wider tire for my Tesla on Alibaba. Unfortunately it uses an almost forgotten mini-USB connector and the menu navigation seems to be a little annoying. Now, its small size may allow you to integrate it into your helmet DIY style, giving you real-time information of your wheel ^_^

For those also interested, it is available in the official Gotway's Alibaba store :)

• Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 11:37 AM, Lefteris said:

I think its a micro controller with some kind of BLE functionality and maybe a linux micro-embedded system (?, i hope! :) ), maybe @Seba can help identify it?\

No, but there are lot of MCUs that could be used, for example Espressif ESP32. This one is cheap and easy to implement in this application. And you don't need Linux for such simple use case :)

• Like 2

In any case, i've ordered one and i'm gonna open it up to check what makes it "tick" :P i'll report back all my findings.

If you want i can send it to you to check it out after i had my fun :D (Edit: maybe make it work for all wheels?!?!)

Edited by Lefteris
  • Like 2

On 3/7/2020 at 10:42 AM, Lefteris said:

Well in about 40 days i'll receive it and report back, so! ;)

Thanks for being the guinea pig. ;) It will be interesting to see how well it functions. 40 days might be optimistic given the disclaimer Alibaba posted. :popcorn:

49639107412_6ba50a167f_b.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Don't pop the packaging? is that a phrase or something i didn't get it sorry..! :-/ 

People are worried that COVID-19 might be able to sustain itself inside of China’s bubble packaging. :huh:  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

Sub titles EN are availables

Wow.. what a fast comprehensive response! :cheers: @Lefteris you now have some quantifiable facts to build on when your GW BT unit arrives. 

• Like 1

When i say about tampering with it, i'm talking about identifying chips and even try to dump some info.

If it follows the known Gotway modeling, it's gonna be open to any code modification/ep-rom re-flashing/etc.

I've talked to @Seba maybe "open" it up for further its abilities to connect to any wheel etc.

All the above are assumptions, lets see when it gets here! Stay tuned! :D 

• Like 1

I'm always impressed by little devices but I'm confused why they built it when surely it would be easier to use a smart watch with something like EUC World. It really threw me was when they showed the device stuck over the top of a smart watch. What might make it do better is if they had a large colour display where having a single number might be visible (I couldn't read anything on the display in the video). So 50 in white might mean 50kph. If the wheel starts overheating then the display could show the temp flashing in red etc. If it had a USB male plug then it could be plugged into your wheel to recharge.   

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

When i say about tampering with it, i'm talking about identifying chips and even try to dump some info.

If it follows the known Gotway modeling, it's gonna be open to any code modification/ep-rom re-flashing/etc.

I've talked to @Seba maybe "open" it up for further its abilities to connect to any wheel etc.

All the above are assumptions, lets see when it gets here! Stay tuned! :D 

I'm already overwhelmed with EUC World development, so don't need more tasks :) And while I put a lot of time to fully implement Gotway support to EUC World,  I won't find anything useful in this device.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lefteris said:

Oh come on.. side project? :P 

I see you have so much free time... :P :P :P 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

The objective is to have the speedometer at the charging plug

Yeah, this circuit is nice :)

The main problem with device that @Lefteris posted about is that if you connect this device with wheel jut to measure speed, you won't be able to use app that gives you more features (speed, load, voltage etc.). So it would be a better idea to build a speedometer that is powered from wheel mainboard and uses Hall sensor signal. This would be precise, work all the time and not block Bluetooth communication.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Yeah, this circuit is nice :)

The main problem with device that @Lefteris posted about is that if you connect this device with wheel jut to measure speed, you won't be able to use app that gives you more features (speed, load, voltage etc.). So it would be a better idea to build a speedometer that is powered from wheel mainboard and uses Hall sensor signal. This would be precise, work all the time and not block Bluetooth communication.

Some devices can handle multi BT connections. I do see the value to have something inexpenside  you could attach to your safety gear. 

Yet I got a smart watch but at 400€ it is a bit expensive to be used straped on safety gear only. And my Phone  is still more expensive and larger so it isn't feasable to use that attached either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Some devices can handle multi BT connections.

While phone (acting as a BLE master) can connect to several Bluetooth LE devices (slaves) simultaneously, BLE slave (in this case EUC BLE module) can only be connected to single master.

• Like 1