My learning curve...

btl

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

in the meantime i didn't have too much of dry weather, but yesterday i finally learned to mount & launch without grabbing to a wall or pole.

Today i practiced tight turns and mount & launch on my driveway again. I feel already pretty secure now and don't need my arms as much as on my first video, so riding looks a lot more relaxed now. I even did a bit of slalom to strenghten my balance. Next up, backwards riding?

Greets,

Stefan

Edited by btl
  • Like 1

Just watching the video, It looks like you have the makings of someone that is going to get good at this. You are making bold moves and making it work. In the video you are carving back and forth just to stay upright. You would likely rather just go straight however there is quite a bit of learning in that motion so as you get better learn to carve on your own terms and keep it as part of your diet. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Impressive. :shock2:
   I have always said, having a reason to turn makes a big difference in learning. ....... I hate to bring it up, but..... I did notice that you missed one of the last markers at the end. :facepalm: 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

today I have ridden on asphalt for an hour this morning, to condition my legs to the new wheel, and to learn how it behaves. I also installed the EUC-WORLD app and tried various alarm settings. I have the tiltback to 25mh/h to prevent myself from speeding before i know the wheel. My EUC-WORLD speed alarm is set to 20km/h.

Then in the afternoon, after creating EUC.WORLD account and logging into it on my phone, i geared up, put all my protectives on and tried my new MSX in tha forest: 

https://euc.world/tour/585333786868146 

it was only 20 minutes, but my legs told me to pause. That was really fun :-D . This part of forest is at the bottom of the "Teutoburger Wald" and only has little height differential.  However, it triggered the current alarm of the EUC-WORLD app twice. To what value should i set it?

Greets,

Stefan

• Like 1

The GotWay wheels report a higher amperage than most wheels. 50 amps is unusable for me. A pinball machine makes less noise.  I think I have mine set to 100 amps. From Looking at your chart 75 amps looks reasonable. The important thing is to know your wheel and understand how hard you are pushing when alarm goes off. You just have to get a fell for it. 

I really enjoy mountain bike trails. The trails here in Chattanooga TN are very mountainous. You get a real workout and your skill level jumps dramatically. The trails here are fun but I think I would enjoy fewer ups and downs per 100 feet of travel. ........ and fewer rocks..... 

• Like 1

Does no one else have a video of their wheel doing front flips for an hour like me? Everyone seems to get it without completely abusing their wheel, lmao. 

Today I made my first attempt at commuting to work. It was unsuccessful. I had managed to start without holding on to some support before, but only after warming up with support and finding the balance. Turned out to be a different thing to just go out, jump up on the monowheel and zoom away.
I still see it as a success though, and if I give it a few days I'm sure I'm slowly wobbling away down the bicycle roads. A very early meeting at work on Friday (that should be illegal...) makes me think next attempt is after some relaxed practicing over the weekend.

I think it's important to have fun while learning, and not only look at how great it's going to be when the brain has adapted to this new way of cycling. It works even with frustration, but might take longer time :)

3 hours ago, Eaglecott said:

Today I made my first attempt at commuting to work. It was unsuccessful. I had managed to start without holding on to some support before, but only after warming up with support and finding the balance. Turned out to be a different thing to just go out, jump up on the monowheel and zoom away.
I still see it as a success though, and if I give it a few days I'm sure I'm slowly wobbling away down the bicycle roads. A very early meeting at work on Friday (that should be illegal...) makes me think next attempt is after some relaxed practicing over the weekend.

I think it's important to have fun while learning, and not only look at how great it's going to be when the brain has adapted to this new way of cycling. It works even with frustration, but might take longer time :)

I don't know your traffic situation, but I was quite careful riding the wheel in rush hour commuting traffic before I could start/stop and keep my balance in those crowded and narrow bicycle paths we have in town. Unless you're comfortable overtaking, being overtaken and meeting people everywhere while having others close to you I'd recommend riding a lot in "off-hours" when it's not so crowded. Now 500+ km later I'm much more relaxed. But not commuting any more, due to the virus that shall not be named...

Ride a lot off road. Works wonders for balance. And usually there's not too much people around to crash into if it goes tits up...

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 1

Take care guys, you don't wanna be the bad example that shows EUC's aren't safe. Do not go on public roads or places until you can ride with confidence.

Greets,

Stefan

• Like 1

It's so strange how you learn and adapt and a lot of times don't notice the changes. I was thinking the other day, how the camber on the roads here scared me at first, as it wanted to make my wheel turn all the time. So I was always having to compensate and it felt scary/dangerous with traffic around. Then it occurred to me the other day, that I don't even realise there is a camber anymore. It's a total non-issue, as my body now just understands what subtle pressure to put on each pedal to compensate for it wanting to turn. It's a great feeling :) 

11 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

It's so strange how you learn and adapt and a lot of times don't notice the changes. I was thinking the other day, how the camber on the roads here scared me at first, as it wanted to make my wheel turn all the time. So I was always having to compensate and it felt scary/dangerous with traffic around. Then it occurred to me the other day, that I don't even realise there is a camber anymore. It's a total non-issue, as my body now just understands what subtle pressure to put on each pedal to compensate for it wanting to turn. It's a great feeling :) 

I have to second that! As a new rider that just past the initial phase and is out and about riding now, I can say the brain is not working so hard to figure things out. The body is running on auto-pilot now for most things. And yet I can think back to many similar situations that you mentioned and see that things are improving and becoming a non-issue almost unconsciously now. 

I have the fortune to have bicycle roads all the way to work. Just need to cross a road twice. But even with that I have much respect for the task, and there's also a big downhill to work, so I understood that I'm not supposed to start fully charged to avoid cut-offs.

Hej guys and girls, its about time to show the progress of my learning curve. Please excuse the bumpy ride, next camera will have motion stabilize function of some kind.

So, all you need is the will to learn, and a wheel that matches what you intend to do.

Edited by btl
YT re-upload
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 4:17 AM, seage said:

Does no one else have a video of their wheel doing front flips for an hour like me? Everyone seems to get it without completely abusing their wheel, lmao. 

I have video of my ks18L tacking a spill and damaging my watch. I fall off the mten in grass too. The ability to take a fall is important to me, as my desire is always more than my ability. Unfortunately, I got my wheel before i got my camera out, but the falling down at slow speeds is boring to watch anyhow. The rollnz cover is good for hiding the truth. My mten proudly shows the reality tho.  I'd imagine soon, I'll have a better crash to share, maybe something with some blood, cracked helmet(or skull) and a long crawl back to the house...  Give me time, keep your fingers crossed! Fwiw, go look at the speed test videos for the msx on youtube. Lotsa good high speed spills to be had.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi,

i finally found the motivation to learn what seemed impossible: backwards riding. Every now and then i of course tried it, but had to unmount before even going 1 meter backwards. Today i kept trying and the video shows that it basically clicks right now. I'm taking the same approach as with my first learning how to ride: grab the fence when needed, try to slide the hand only, if possible. If it goes the same way as with my initial learning curve, then: "Everything that i barely managed to do one day, was easy the next day."

• Like 1

Wow! You did it! I'm still, after many months, trying to ride backwards. I can stop still for a couple of seconds, yet it seems that the "passing through the stop" to backwards is another difficult skill to master. I don't have a fence anywhere to ride along, so I have tried a dog leash, through the handle, to hold up the wheel when I step off, fall off. Backwards is elusive even after 2300 miles of forward riding on my V8. Maybe these skills will be easier to learn when I receive my new Nik+ in a month. We'll see. Peace from Maine USA...Guy

Thanks man!

Today i had another hour to try it, and indeed it went far better than yesterday. Sorry for the bad camera angle, but the clip at least shows my progress.

If you're trying it: keep at it, an hour a day!

Greets,

Stefan

• Like 2

Thanks for the great documentation of your progress! I'm approaching 4 hours on my new KS 18XL and am having a similar cumulative learning experience as you describe. My practice is more an every other day affair though as I have other fitness things that I'm doing. I can see that as I get better, and more relaxed, on the wheel I'll be able to practice regardless of what state of recovery my legs are in.

Today was my 4th session and my first attempt at an all pavement training session. To date I have been learning on the bumpy and uneven field next to my home and I realized right away today that some extra pressure in the tire really helps on the tarmac. I made some very rewarding progress today and discovered the link between carving on the EUC and skiing. I've done a lot of skiing in my life and connecting the two activities through this movement was super rewarding. I did some weaving practice like what you have above but just with the lines in the parking lot.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that I just got my first starter wheel (V8) and your videos help inspire me and make it seem achievable to learn. First day on it was very jarring and takes some getting used to. 

In the first video you posted, did it all take place in one session? Seems like very quick progress

• Like 1