Current top speed of KS18XL?

null

My 2000w 18XL had max 45Km/h as "warp" speed before FW 2.0. 
Now it is 50Km/h.

Is this some sort of error with the 2200w version or has Kingsong added some speed?
I couldn't hear right when testing, but I believe it gave a "please slow down" at 45Km/h. It might have been just bellow 50% battery though.

Can anyone confirm whether I can reach for 50 or if it is an error?

55 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

Let us know, please ! It's interesting to check the real speed as KS app is apparently overestimating it !

Seconded. It came as news to me recently that what I have been touting as "30 mph" for the last couple years has actually been closer to 26 mph. 

12 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Brace yourselves then chaps... It may be as high as 18% (overstated)...   :shock2:

On the 16X it seems like it's not that overblown...maybe more like 6-9%?

On the 18XL I've noticedthat distance is much closer to reality under FW 2.x, but I didn't pay attention to whether they've made any changes in terms of speed

Edited by travsformation

On 2/2/2020 at 12:50 AM, null said:

My 2000w 18XL had max 45Km/h as "warp" speed before FW 2.0. 
Now it is 50Km/h.

Is this some sort of error with the 2200w version or has Kingsong added some speed?
I couldn't hear right when testing, but I believe it gave a "please slow down" at 45Km/h. It might have been just bellow 50% battery though.

Can anyone confirm whether I can reach for 50 or if it is an error?

Don't know if the 2200W version has an own firmware with maybe again different numbers?

I got to make a quick test today, on a long open and horizontal street so the phone GPS got time to stabilise.
KS18XL from 12/2018, FW 2.0.  The numbers I kept going for a while:

KS: 30 km/h     GPS: 28 km/
KS: 40 km/h.    GPS: 37 km/h

Various numbers in between, basically it can be extrapolated. So if we consider the speedometer app to be fairly correct after stabilisation, the 18XL FW 2.0 isn't that terribly off. I'd much rather have real numbers but at least its not outrageous.

If anyone else bother to bring out two phones to test, or use Sebas app (allows to compare I believe?) it would be cool.

(Thanks  @Chriull It seems I was mistaken about the original speed, somehow it is sold as 45km/h in France as it is the max for non license plate vehicles, and I had set warp at that. So apparently no more speed from FW 2.0 or 2200W motor)

Edited by null
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, null said:

I got to make a quick test today, on a long open and horizontal street so the phone GPS got time to stabilise.
KS18XL from 12/2018, FW 2.0.  The numbers I kept going for a while:

KS: 30 km/h     GPS: 28 km/
KS: 40 km/h.    GPS: 37 km/h

Various numbers in between, basically it can be extrapolated. So if we consider the speedometer app to be fairly correct after stabilisation, the 18XL FW 2.0 isn't that terribly off. I'd much rather have real numbers but at least its not outrageous.

If anyone else bother to bring out two phones to test, or use Sebas app (allows to compare I believe?) it would be cool.

(Thanks  @Chriull It seems I was mistaken about the original speed, somehow it is sold as 45km/h in France as it is the max for non license plate vehicles, and I had set warp at that. So apparently no more speed from FW 2.0 or 2200W motor)

Has anyone confirmed the 18xl speed max and the amount it is overstated? I set euc world up for 18% but am running firmware 2.0 on an 18L. If the discrepancy is more like 10%, I'd seriously consider leaving it be at factory settings. My telemetry data on EUCW shows gps to be faster than my wheel speed, by a tiny bit. I dont know if this is before or after the 18% correction. Im just trying to come to terms with the actual top speed of the wheel in mph, and hoping to get a better understanding of when my tiltback is REALLY going to happen.  I THOUGHT I had a top speed tiltback of 25mph(with -18%), but i seemed to have hit near 30mph today and didnt hear any such warning or feel any loss of available acceleration.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

If i could comfortably ride that fast, I could have it clocked so easily. I'd just go down to a local police station in one of these tiny towns, and ask for a speed check. Hell, them good ole boys around here would be in awe of the contraption anyhow. I'd bet money they'd have no problem watching you go top speed on the 35-45mph street and clock it. As long as you werent speeding, i dont think it would matter. Arent radar guns becoming more common and affordable nowadays? If summer hits and I manage to hit top speed at will, I'll go get a calibrated (they aint gna verify or give me ppw for sure tho) gun, speed check. My weight shouldnt matter, as it should be software limited. I am a skinny F**k tho. Im am kind of shocked we dont have more OCD persons here that have bothered to clock it yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Has anyone confirmed the 18xl speed max and the amount it is overstated? I set euc world up for 18% but am running firmware 2.0 on an 18L. If the discrepancy is more like 10%, I'd seriously consider leaving it be at factory settings. My telemetry data on EUCW shows gps to be faster than my wheel speed, by a tiny bit. I dont know if this is before or after the 18% correction. Im just trying to come to terms with the actual top speed of the wheel in mph, and hoping to get a better understanding of when my tiltback is REALLY going to happen.  I THOUGHT I had a top speed tiltback of 25mph(with -18%), but i seemed to have hit near 30mph today and didnt hear any such warning or feel any loss of available acceleration.

I can't speak for speed, but I had to apply -18% distance correction on FW 1.13; since 2.0, with 0% correction I'm only getting small variations (+200-300m) in 15-ish km tours between GPS distance and the distance reported by the wheel (the higher number being wheel-reported, but within what I reckon can be considered a reasonable difference accounting for the carving the GPS fails to register).

I can't say the same for speed though: Wheel speed in my euc.world charts is consistently higher than GPS speed, but I can't give you an exact figure. It doesn't feel like anything's changed though, but I can say there's a subjectively (quite) noticeable difference with the 16X, which seems to report much lower (realistic) speeds than the 18XL

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1

I've learned to trust the KS speed readings to be perfectly accurate in telling me that I definitely am NOT going that fast. I think my confusion lies in all the mph and kmh settings. I am pretty sure I am seeing 50km as my limit now. as of today, the KS app is still total shit for me on ios. Their app download  links are always broken on my windows desktop, no app is showing up in the store (ios), and the current app connects to everything, but won't open speed settings. I had to update Darkness bot today, as it didnt have any speed settings either. After the DB update, I managed to set my speeds up to 50km or 31mph.  Oddly, EUCW wouldnt let me set it past 40kmh before my last ride. No matter, they all show 50kmh and Im pretty sure EUCW and DB will both be more use than the KS app. KS as a company should REALLY do much better at this app stuff, it is reflecting badly on them.  Luckily, my wheel is maxed and other people have come to the rescue, as KS cant be bothered with the details.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I wonder if those are accurate? I mean I know they are, but are we being given the REAL reading? 27mph sounds about right tho. Imagine how that would go, getting pulled over and asked for registration/insurance/license, and leaving with a hefty speeding ticket. Too new for helmet laws, but who knows what the cop would do/write?

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 8 months later...

I compare my 18XL speed side by side with a msp and a S18. Mine was 50km/h and started Tilt me back, at the same time next to me my buddies with  msp was 42km/h so do the S18.

so the 18XL has a real max speed around 44km/h.

that’s sad I hope @Jack King Song and kingsong fix this in a future firmware