Gotway battery distance range STATS

Please post your Gotway average range on a charge, and your battery size.

For me I have a 680wh (MCM4), but haven't been able to get it low yet (my lowest was 60% after a few hours of riding). That thing just keeps going! I'll update when I manage to actually get it low.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, really? How much mileage did you cover in a few hours? And whats your weight? Did you make stops or pretty much continuous riding? What was the average speed? My kingsong 680 batter doesnt last more than 2 hrs of riding at decent speed ( 20 miles)

55 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

@Cloud just limit your 3rd alarm / tiltback to 24kph like the MCM4 max (if you can) and you'll probably get a similar result ^^

Well the tiltback on my kingsong is not adjustable. Its set at 28. But yes i suspect that if i ride at a slower speed, more like 15kph i will get better results. I never did the full longest mileage test at best conditions - constant slower speed with no fphills and no acceleration/ breaking. I dont think i can endure  2-3 hours going slow at this point - i am so used to going faster.

My MCM4 tilts back at 28kph when set to 24 (dunno if thats intentional by new app version or a firmware tweak by the distributor). Anyways, that tiltback can also be turned off. But lets not change the topic. I'm interested in comparing battery ranges, so as to gauge battery quality consistency. 

2 minutes ago, edwin_rm said:

My MCM4 tilts back at 28kph when set to 24 (dunno if thats intentional by new app version or a firmware tweak by the distributor). Anyways, that tiltback can also be turned off. But lets not change the topic. I'm interested in comparing battery ranges, so as to gauge battery quality consistency. 

Ha! A thread is a living organism, you will be hard pressed to control always staying on topic:) anyway, if you want a valid comparison, it would be great if you could post specifics of your results, like your weight, type of terrain, mileage, riding style/ speed

Yes, I get the best mileage at slower speeds and very smooth cement like sidewalks.  Also I weigh around 160 lbs - maybe 165.  The reason why I learned to extend my range is because of concerns about getting back home (or back to the car or starting point, etc).  I think the main trick to extending your range is to coast as much as possible - so meaning at speed, try to stay upright without leaning forward much and so the motor is working with very little effort and so you're balancing on top maintaining speed and almost coasting.  I also accelerate very gently - this is when I"m consciously trying to extend my range.  Sometimes I'm riding with a half-charged pack, so there you go.  I also don't want to discharge the battery very low so there's another reason.

Also anything heating up means wasted energy that's lost, so if you slow down, less heating, more range.  I don't think a lot of folks worry about all this though - not worry but unconcerned.

2 minutes ago, castShadow said:

Also anything heating up means wasted energy that's lost, so if you slow down, less heating, more range.  I don't think a lot of folks worry about all this though - not worry but unconcerned.

Great point about the coasting.

Are you saying the regenerative braking recharging the battery is not worth losing the momentum?

Ok took my MSuper2 HS 680Wh for a spin yesterday. Didn't drain it but here are some stats

I weigh aprrox. 165lbs and went for 12 mile (19km) ride. Was riding for approx 45 min and at an avg speed of 16.5mph (26.5kmh). I had 45-50% battery remaining afterwards. The terrain was mostly smooth road surface with a decent number of moderate hills, no crazy San Franciscan hills or anything.

It was the fastest I've pushed my unit, just below the 3rd alarm beeps, as I tend to be a safe/cautious rider - but coasting on nice smooth recently paved asphalt feels real nice :D; it made me feel more comfortable pushing it too vs rougher roads where I wouldn't dare go that fast

On 2015/11/10 at 5:41 AM, sbouju said:

I am curious... How do you install those "+200Wh+200Wh" ?

I installed the first home made 200Wh in the empty compartment. The second 200Wh is just bonded on the top of the EUC by a strap and 3M dual lock.
Each of the 200Wh packs consists of 16 Panasonic NCR18650B(3400mAh).

Few week old MSuper2, 850 w/hr, max sidewall pressure, .80 km section of decommissioned runway, full charge, tried to maintain 25-28 kph, 23.88 C ambient, I'm 81.65 kg. Rode 56 km to last light, flickering to all four flashing (50% state of charge on Gotway app.)

English measure: 1/2 mile runway, 15.5 to 17.3 mph, 75 F ambient, I weigh 180 pounds, rode 34.8 miles.

Battery only has three cycles on it, and I didn't try squeeking out max battery.

Next test will be at 20 kph :)

Update: Normal riding, not as strict as the airport, 20-23 kph (mostly/average,) one steady charge light, GW app showed 50% SOC - 62 km (38.9 miles.) I didn't drive the battery down to intermittent all charge lights flashing, like last time.

On 2015/11/10 at 0:42 PM, SlowMo said:

You must have legs of iron! So much stamina. :)

Thanks. I rode 50 to 60km many times but 70km is my top which really reached the limit both for the battery and myself.:D

I also tested the range in various speed. It seems that the cruising speed is somewhere between 20 to 25 km/k. This is the true GPS speed(not app speed) as graphed on the second pic.

speedtest.gif

3 minutes ago, zlymex said:

Thanks. I rode 50 to 60km many times but 70km is my top which really reached the limit both for the battery and myself.:D

I also tested the range in various speed. It seems that the cruising speed is somewhere between 20 to 25 km/k. This is the true GPS speed(not app speed) as graphed on the second pic.

rangevsspeed.gif

speedtest.gif

I dont understand, in an earlier post here you said you traveled 70km on 1080 wh battery with almost nothing left. And in the graph below you are saying you can do over 60km on a 680 battery. Why such discrepancy? Is it that you didnt ride at the best battery saving cruising speed the first time? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I dont understand, in an earlier post here you said you traveled 70km on 1080 wh battery with almost nothing left. And in the graph below you are saying you can do over 60km on a 680 battery. Why such discrepancy? Is it that you didnt ride at the best battery saving cruising speed the first time? Thanks!

I traveled 70km on 1080Wh battery, it's a real world test with traffic(turn, brake, accelerate) and a lot of hill climb.
The range vs speed is a short-range test(consist of different speed sections, 2nd graph) which performed on original 680Wh battery (not upgraded yet) in an near ideal condition. I sampled the data by Wheelemetric and calibrated with my own current shunt and meters, calculated the efficiency(in Wh/km term) and converted into range.

Ok, so today I managed to get the 680wh battery halfway down on my MCM4. Weather was about 60F and I rode for 25 miles (40 km) in windy conditions. Lots of rapid accel/decel, elevation changes, brick roads, sidewalks, pedestrian dodging, and stop & go riding. Very satisfied with my Gotway.  B)

2 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

Ok, so today I managed to get the 680wh battery halfway down on my MCM4. Weather was about 60F and I rode for 25 miles (40 km) in windy conditions. Lots of rapid accel/decel, elevation changes, brick roads, sidewalks, pedestrian dodging, and stop & go riding. Very satisfied with my Gotway.  B)

Edwin,

how are you enjoying the Mcm4? Do you have experience with other wheels to compare it to?

So today was an atypical commute for me so here are my stats on my McM2s 340wh. 

Ride 1 - bus station to office = 1.4 miles

Ride 2 - office to downtown NYC gym = 4.1 miles

Ride 3 - gym to bus station = 3.8 miles

total = 9.3 miles (14.97 km)

terrain was mostly flat city bike lanes with occasional inclines (no real hills)

speed was a constant approx 13mph (20kmh)

Remaining life: Approx 50%? Down to 2

lights

9 minutes ago, johnc415 said:

Edwin,

how are you enjoying the Mcm4? Do you have experience with other wheels to compare it to?

I'm in love with it. Couldn't be happier. I also own a Solowheel Xtreme. I prefer the Gotway thou.

The SW-X has a range of only 12 miles which is its weakness. The MCM4 feels more smooth while riding, even over bumps, despite having a smaller wheel. Also, the strong SW-X tiltback makes my legs really sore soon after I start riding. But with the Gotway I can ride many hours and not get sore at all.

5 hours ago, edwin_rm said:

You are getting amazing mileage out of your gotway. I dont understand how this is possible, there must be some magic built into yours

29 minutes ago, Cloud said:

You are getting amazing mileage out of your gotway. I dont understand how this is possible, there must be some magic built into yours

Riding mileage is depending on the rider's weight, road situations. For me, I can ride about 25 miles on a 340wh battery model on the flat road. I am 46kgs, so it make it possible. 

5 minutes ago, Linneaunicycles said:

Riding mileage is depending on the rider's weight, road situations. For me, I can ride about 25 miles on a 340wh battery model on the flat road. I am 46kgs, so it make it possible. 

Yes i understand that. I am 100kg so its understandable that i am getting about same mileage with the 680 battery.

Even if edwin is also 46kg, which i doubt, in windy conditions with acceleration and braking, on irregular surface, to get this kind of mikeage is still amazing.

how much do you weight, @edwin_rm ?

Archived