2.00 firmware upgrade bricked my wheel

林延光

I tried to upgrade the firmware of my ks18l from 1.00 to 2.00 using the latest Android kingsong app from kingsong website. The upgrade stuck at one point I had to force close and restart the app. After restarting the app, the Bluetooth connection to the wheel drops half the time. When I can connect to the wheel, the app can detect that I am in the middle of upgrading firmware and prompt me to continue. But after I confirm, the app goes right back to the home screen without doing anything.

My wheel is not ridable any more. When I turn it on, no lights are up and there are no beeps. The wheel does not self balance itself. And the tire becomes harder to rotate (a sticky feeling if it makes sense) when it is off.

Tried using iOS app and eucworld app. Tried continue upgrade during different time of day. Nothing worked so far.

Unfortunately I bought my wheel from a Chinese website and the seller is not helping me. Lessons learned!

Anyone has any insights? Browsing through the forum it looks my best bet is to use the engineer app. I could not find it anywhere from the internet. Anyone who has it can share?

• Like 1

Wish I could help, but I don't have much insight into the firmware recovery process. Too bad @US69 isn't very active now as he would probably know the correct course of action.

Unfortunately KingSong utilizes serial numbers to know where your wheel came from. So if it was from China, I think EUC World won't work. Perhaps @Seba might have some ideas.

KingSong is the one wheel I wouldn't buy outside of the established dealer network because they are very stringent on supporting their dealers (Gotway couldn't care less). So help from them may be difficult.

Hopefully someone here can help you.

• Like 1

Thank you both! I will try to find the KS SoftTuner app. It does not seem to be easy. Please pm me if any one have any tip.

Never gonna take the risk of buying from overseas any more. I thought as someone native in Chinese my customer experience would have been better. Apparently not!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

I think that if you'll search forum carefully enough, there's a chance that you'll find it.

Unless I missed something the previous post of this "KS engineer app" or "KS soft app" might be present but logins has been hidden/erased. 

It was a moderator decision as personel details got posted publicly. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 林延光 said:

Thank you both! I will try to find the KS SoftTuner app. It does not seem to be easy. Please pm me if any one have any tip.

Never gonna take the risk of buying from overseas any more. I thought as someone native in Chinese my customer experience would have been better. Apparently not!

Too bad about your experience.

But consumers rights and warranty rule, don't seem to bother Chinese webstores that much.

It can be very hard to get them to comply to anything if it cost them money. We have seen this reported here on the forum from time to time even for stores with high reputation. 

I am sorry to side track the thread a little. But I think it will be something people need to understand that making an app is not the same to be responsible for a fw update. (yes I know none pointed any fingers here) but it is bound to raise some questions at some point @Seba. I rather not someone points a finger at you, since you gave done a fantastic job so far with developing wheelog into euc.world. 

10 hours ago, Unventor said:

I am sorry to side track the thread a little. But I think it will be something people need to understand that making an app is not the same to be responsible for a fw update. (yes I know none pointed any fingers here) but it is bound to raise some questions at some point @Seba. I rather not someone points a finger at you, since you gave done a fantastic job so far with developing wheelog into euc.world. 

Happily, I didn't received any complaints about firmware upgrading with EUC World. Maybe it's because I put a lot of work to make it as bulletproof as possible. Of course I know that nothing is 100 % ideal, but the source of any problems was always original KS apps. If it  While it worked for some people, it didn't for most of users. This problem proved particularly serious after King Song published an 2.xx update to several of his EUCs at the same time. 

At the same time, probably a bug showed up at the King Song servers that caused a problem with the KS-16S update (upgrade to 2.01 and then downgrade to 1.09 and again...). Fortunately, I managed to include workaround on my side that protected EUC World users from unnecessary downgrade from version 2.01 back to 1.09:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 林延光 said:

It can turn, just harder than when the wheel is off. Does it make any difference?

You're good. That means the controller is still functioning. If it were bad than your tire would free spin as if it were off.

On 1/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, Daley1 said:

Does @The Fat Unicyclist have a fix with the soft tuner app?

Yes, I believe the KS Soft Tuner App would fix this. It has the functionality to update FW from the boot loader stage and also to reset the serial number (if you know what it should be).

The challenge is to either the app (and a login) yourself, or find someone with the app (and a login) and have them in the same place as your wheel.

Using the app is the second challenge, as it is very powerful and doesn't come with any instructions. This means it could as easily break something on a wheel as it could fix something. For example, I haven't tried this, but I think the app would allow me to install 16X FW on a 14M... Which would almost definitely either break the wheel or kill me).

However, it might be worth contacting KS directly. They may be prepared to provide you with a copy (and a temporary login) that allows you to resolve your problem.

They may even note down the steps you need to go through. If you do end up with app access, but no instructions, then let me know and I would be happy to step through the process for you...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, I believe the KS Soft Tuner App would fix this. It has the functionality to update FW from the boot loader stage and also to reset the serial number (if you know what it should be).

The challenge is to either the app (and a login) yourself, or find someone with the app (and a login) and have them in the same place as your wheel.

Using the app is the second challenge, as it is very powerful and doesn't come with any instructions. This means it could as easily break something on a wheel as it could fix something. For example, I haven't tried this, but I think the app would allow me to install 16X FW on a 14M... Which would almost definitely either break the wheel or kill me).

However, it might be worth contacting KS directly. They may be prepared to provide you with a copy (and a temporary login) that allows you to resolve your problem.

They may even note down the steps you need to go through. If you do end up with app access, but no instructions, then let me know and I would be happy to step through the process for you...

Thanks a lot! Still trying to get the app atm.

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Thanks a lot! Still trying to get the app atm.

Hi, I have the ks soft tuner app with working login. If you can help me on how to make kingsongs ks-x1 (m365 clone) go faster u can use my login.

My distrubitor sells 2 versions of the scooter.  30km/h and 22.  They have confirmed they change top speed with the app but dont want to help me it seems.

Thanks Tegulf! I am new in the community as well but I can definitely help you do research. I know how to change my unicycle top speed when it was working. Not sure if the scooter work the same way as my ks18l. If yes I can defitely help you with it. It is very straightforward though.

12 hours ago, 林延光 said:

Looking at your post history, it looks you were trying to use the ks soft tuner to set top speed. Maybe you can but normally people just use the official kingsong app to set top speed. You can find the official apps here: https://www.kingsong.com/list-30.html

I find no way to remove limit on my scooter in offical app.  And my shop that sold it to me said i needed the softtuner app to change this. But no instructions.

9 hours ago, 林延光 said:

I got my hands on the soft tuner app. My wheel is finally fixed! Thanks for all of you that have chimed in! @Tegulf, you might just have to try several times. I had to try 5+ times to get it working.

What did you try?  I cant find any menues that implies max speed.  And where did you get the app from?  If it is a distributor i would like to ask them aswell.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 林延光 said:

I can definitely help you to explore. I am a Chinese native so at least I do not have language issue. Can you pm me the app and login to start? Thanks

I cannot pm anyone on this forum. Not been unlocked for me yet.  :/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tegulf said:

What did you try?  I cant find any menues that implies max speed.  And where did you get the app from?  If it is a distributor i would like to ask them aswell.

I found the app in this thread:

Maybe you can try darknessBot app on iOS? After I upgrade my firmware. I did run into issue that I was stuck at 20kph and not able to set top speed through all Android apps (soft tuner, official kingsong, euc world). But through the iOS darknessBot app I was able to set top speed up to 40kph.

I also had to attempt upgrading firmware multiple times before it finally got through. So what ever you tried earlier that did not work, you might want to try it multiple times.

• Like 1