Full Face Helmet Vision Problem and Recommendation

Hello EUC forum. I recently got a full face helmet on amazon. I tried it on, and surprisingly I found that I can no longer see my wheel under my feet if I don’t intentionally look down. I used to wear a bicycle helmet, and this change troubles a lot because I feel no control over my wheel. So my question is, is it just my helmet specifically, or do almost all full face helmets have similar problems?

I saw some riders choose other types of helmets, but personally I really want to maximize the protection with a full face helmet. So, do you guys have any recommendation on full face helmet that doesn’t block my vision looking down? I don’t have much budget, and price under $100 bucks is preferred. 

Btw, I have attached the photo of the helmet I bought from amazon (if i did it correctly).

43D41112-ADCB-43FD-9FEE-3F7C54EB6325.jpeg

When I first got my full face helmet, it was the same for me. It was a bit confusing and unsettling (scary is much too strong of a word). 

After a few hours, I got used to it, and I never thought about this ever again (till now... since you mentioned it).

So it's no problem at all, after a few rides you will adapt completely:) Use the helmet you have and enjoy the protection.

• Like 2

I noticed this difficulty of seeing downward with the newer "triangular" chin guard something like a decade ago, but the newer triangular helmets are substantially more comfortable than the older rounded chins (which you could see downward).

You want perfect visibility in a full face helmet? I tried one of these on at my local Triumph dealership.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/motorcycle/p/bullitt-carbon-cruiser-motorcycle-helmet

i would be more worried about the loss of peripheral vision.. not to mention looking behind you would be near impossible i would think

I wear a full face helmet, but am always looking forward. I don't need to look at the wheel as I can feel it and know where it is. I do find it gets in the way of my peripheral though and I need to turn my head lots to check behind me when crossing lanes. (Hopefully I can find a good rear view to attach to it.) 

I've heard good things about the Steelbird Air helmets giving a wider range of view, have yet to try one.

I noticed you're in Cerritos (I'm in Culver City), we don't travel fast enough on EUCs for motorcycle helmets to offer us enough air circulation. This is especially true in the California heat. I would recommend a Full Face Downhill Mountain Bike helmet, it has plenty of protection and circulation. I use it on the street as well. Throw on a pair of Cycling Glasses to help with the wind/bugs to the eyes.

If you search through the forums long enough this combo comes up as the best solution, especially for our west coast climate.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tihoa said:

I noticed you're in Cerritos (I'm in Culver City), we don't travel fast enough on EUCs for motorcycle helmets to offer us enough air circulation. This is especially true in the California heat. I would recommend a Full Face Downhill Mountain Bike helmet, it has plenty of protection and circulation. I use it on the street as well. Throw on a pair of Cycling Glasses to help with the wind/bugs to the eyes.

If you search through the forums long enough this combo comes up as the best solution, especially for our west coast climate.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into that.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, Rywokast said:

i would be more worried about the loss of peripheral vision.. not to mention looking behind you would be near impossible i would think

If only our heads were mounted on some sort of structure that allowed it to pivot around to see sideways and even behind us...   ;)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If only our heads were mounted on some sort of structure that allowed it to pivot around to see sideways and even behind us...   ;)

The Exorcist comes to mind. Actually this kid has the skills. 

49063869626_08b68f6859_b.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

The Exorcist comes to mind. Actually this kid has the skills. 

49063869626_08b68f6859_b.jpg

You call that a skill, I call it a sure sign of a connective tissue, spinal, or other kind of disorder, which will surely be a PITA later on in his life. :unsure:

Yeah yeah, I know you are much more educated on various medical conditions than me... ;)

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

hahaha, well ive never worn a helmet i dont know how much of your peripheral they obstruct xD

• Like 1