Riding strategies for the long-footed?

brockj

Hi all!

I'm relatively new to EUCs, started with a King Song 18XL a couple of months ago. From what I understand, the 10" pedals on the new King Songs are the largest in the biz, which is great for my size 12 US feet (EU size 46 I think?), from what I understand... but my feet still exceed the pedals, so I have to make some hard choices about where to put them :D

I have found the greatest stability with my heels flush or nearly flush against the back of the pedal, as depicted below. The downside here is that the front of my toes have a hard time relaxing.

Can others with long feet recommend any strategies to keep the feet better relaxed? How do you deal with this kind of thing?

mFwYO4G.jpg

• Like 2

not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about fatigue, then you need to just keep your feet moving.  by riding, you are constantly applying pressure to the front half of your feet.  longer riding requires just lots of tired feet.  numb feet.  to help, you either get off and rest or move one foot and then move the other foot when riding if you don't want to get off.  the other option is to get a wheel with a seat.  

24 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

not sure what you mean, but if you are talking about fatigue, then you need to just keep your feet moving.  by riding, you are constantly applying pressure to the front half of your feet.  longer riding requires just lots of tired feet.  numb feet.  to help, you either get off and rest or move one foot and then move the other foot when riding if you don't want to get off.  the other option is to get a wheel with a seat.  

Thanks! yes, for me it starts as discomfort and turns into fatigue.

I'm still working on moving my feet a bit while riding. I guess that is the best I can do. It's challenging when I'm so far forward already.. best I can do now is squeeze my toes :D 

Pedals on all EUCs are too small. Make them bigger and all your foot problems are solved.

I have duck taped plywood to one of my 14 inchers, and once you have footpads that reach beyond the ball of your feet then all that foot numbness, lack of control, assymetrical stance...all that goes away. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, brockj said:

Thanks! yes, for me it starts as discomfort and turns into fatigue.

I'm still working on moving my feet a bit while riding. I guess that is the best I can do. It's challenging when I'm so far forward already.. best I can do now is squeeze my toes :D 

The practice will allow you to ride with one foot.  You shift weight to the dominant foot, then lift your non dominant foot and stretch your foot on the pedal.  Then work on doing to the other foot. This will also allow you to develop the staggered stance.  Good luck or ask the person next to you, Chris.  He seems to think he is an expert rider now.

Edited by eddiemoy

Turn on the music and dance or carve or both at the same time, load alternation, alternating the left foot on the toes / right foot on the heel and vice versa. Do something, just don't stand stiff in a spot. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, buell47 said:

Turn on the music and dance or carve or both at the same time, load alternation, alternating the left foot on the toes / right foot on the heel and vice versa. Do something, just don't stand stiff in a spot. 

Yes, I find carving helps a lot... The shift of weight from one foot to the other means your muscles flex and that also helps with blood flow. And it's fun too.   :D

Choice of footwear can help too, though preferences vary. For long rides I prefer a pair of hiking boots - I find the stiffer sole reduces the pressure on the balls of my feet. And having a bit of padding on the ankles doesn't hurt either.

Nice cover by the way!   :thumbup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

16 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Yes, I find carving helps a lot... The shift of weight from one foot to the other means your muscles flex and that also helps with blood flow. And it's fun too.   :D

Thanks! I feel a little silly since I've seen this advice in foot fatigue threads. I thought my unusual foot size required an unusual solution like what @LanghamP suggests :) which BTW I may just try too after I've given carving and slaloming some practice.

17 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Nice cover by the way!   :thumbup:

It's a thing of beauty. Thanks for making them!

• Like 1

same size feet.. been riding for three years and only got xl pedals a few months ago.. theyre awesome but i never felt any foot fatigue or issues before i had them except when learning and still the majority of my EUCs have small pedals.. its simply something that is more of a beginner pain, with time it will pass, moving your feet around, shifting your weight and relaxing helps and it will all come naturally but as has been said on numerous threads before only experience and building up the proper muscles truly relieves it.. i can easily go 100 km without stepping off and have no pain or fatigue, but i have 25000 km experience on many unicycles, it has a lot less to do with pedals than you might think.. at least, thats my experience.. i cant speak for everyone of course, and you can only make the pedals so large before you have problems with inclines, turns etc.. just ride more and it will go away on its own haha

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

Just to report back, I tried a couple of things that seem to have really improved my comfort on the wheel.

1. Like others have suggested, shifting my weight from foot to foot (not even turning/slaloming) helps when my arches are feeling a little pained.
  2. I opened my knees up a bit, so that my feet weren't pointing directly straight in front. Like so, although usually not pointing outwards quite this much. This particular change was a huge step forward for my sense of oneness-with-wheel: 

(these are not my riding shoes... I usually stick to boots)4GLKYmM.jpg

Edited by brockj
grammar
  • Like 2

I have a EU 49 or a US 15/16 .  On my 16X, I'm riding with my arch in the center of the pedal.   I've tried with my heel lined up with the back but the front of my feet stick out way to far that way.

I'm wearing Vans cause they are my "riding" shoes for all my Eboard vehicles.  maybe some shoes with more cushion inserts .[ if they make em in your size.... :cry2: ]

I tend to flex my feet after riding for a bit.  I'll either step up onto the ball and the rock back to my heel on each side separate.   I also find if i'm going on a slow cruise it seems to help more to do these exercises; when you're really moving and getting it I don't get these pains. 

• Like 2

I have giganto feet as well.  Most of my foot pain (in the front and arch) went away when I placed my heel just behind the mid-point of the pedal.  This is pretty far forward.  But it means that just by standing up straight (no lean) you are moving forward at a gentle pace.  This means you don't have to lean much to speed up.

Downside is if you need to brake hard, you gotta lean way the hell back.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Okiiashi said:

I have a EU 49 or a US 15/16 .  On my 16X, I'm riding with my arch in the center of the pedal.   I've tried with my heel lined up with the back but the front of my feet stick out way to far that way.

Damn! I can't even imagine!

I've found that I prefer something like this too, especially when there's a lot of downhill.