Moved from France to UK - what a disapointment! Tips wanted

Greg_

Hello there,

I am a French student pursuing my studies at the University of Kent in Canterbury. I've used a unicycle daily for the past three years in France without a problem, ever (fell a few times but well that only injures myself).

Fast forward to today, I got pulled over by policemen because "these are illegals". I was astonished and didn't believe them at first, but well it seems to be true. I'm a little bit stupid (and didn't fancy walking for 4 km) so I replied that I won't use it again and used it again. My luck strucked and I met the same police officers one hour later (I used bike ways everywhere I could but that wasn't enough!).

They very clearly said to me that they'd confiscate my unicycle if they see me on it again.

I won't expand on how stupid is this, y'all can very well see and don't need another rant here.

However I'm asking for a few tips:

• If I get an insurance (I've read that the French insurer Allianz does insurance for EUC) ; can they confiscate my EUC or just fine me?
  • Would contacting the mayor and the MP a good idea / useful in any way? I am not really used to UK's politics.
  • Sounds stupid, but if I put 3 other wheels that does not even roll and a stupid licence plate, does that work?

Thank you very much!

Have a great day!

Greg

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wonderwebb said:

Get a faster EUC and dont stop for anyone ! 

Return to France where laws have caught up .

:D:D:D

I'm going back to France in about 9 months anyway, but that doesn't make me feel welcomed in the UK haha.

---

I've also read somewhere you maybe you can register it as a vehicle for assisted mobility. Is it true/doable?

Thank you

I can imagine your level of frustration, and I would be depressed in your situation.

Yet there appear to be so many British riders here on the Forum and other places, posting videos, etc. and apparently have zero problems riding their EUC's.

There must just be local pockets in England where it's a problem, and apparently Canterbury is one of those pockets.

Most UK riders seem to be located in London. The problem is worse in places where EUCs are rarely seen because that is when they attract attention. It is a ridiculous situation here in UK and it seems to be taking forever to change things particularly with Brexit going on. We've had nearly two decades since Segways were available (2001) and no one thought to look into making PLEVs legal up to now. It is VERY frustrating for sure.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nic said:

Most UK riders seem to be located in London. The problem is worse in places where EUCs are rarely seen because that is when they attract attention. It is a ridiculous situation here in UK and it seems to be taking forever to change things particularly with Brexit going on. We've had nearly two decades since Segways were available (2001) and no one thought to look into making PLEVs legal up to now. It is VERY frustrating for sure.

Speedyfeet isn't near London, is he? And how about @stephen?

25 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

There must just be local pockets in England where it's a problem

Its a problem everywhere, its just that many, myself included, try to ride where theres unlikely to be any police. I avoid them like the plague.

I think I would be scared stiff to ride in London with the amount of old bill around. That said, they seem to be fully committed with the Rebellion Extinction stuff at the moment and therefore less concerned with our circus wheels. Doesnt mean riders should get complacent though - I wouldn't like to rub my wheel in a coppers nose whether they appear busy or not.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Greg_ said:

:D:D:D

I'm going back to France in about 9 months anyway, but that doesn't make me feel welcomed in the UK haha.

---

I've also read somewhere you maybe you can register it as a vehicle for assisted mobility. Is it true/doable?

Thank you

Dont rely on that working no EUC is ever going to be classed as a mobilty vehicle . Just consider yourself an outlaw and ride like one lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Speedyfeet isn't near London, is he? And how about @stephen?

Neither are anywhere near London. And speedy usually rides right out in the sticks. Still surprised he has got away with it for so long, riding where he does (a large country park usually).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Neither are anywhere near London. And speedy usually rides right out in the sticks. Still surprised he has got away with it for so long, riding where he does (a large country park usually).

He has posted videos where he and Jon are riding around London

31 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

And he has done a few 1000 mile rides through england.

I think he was just lucky like me. We are criminals as well here in Germany for riding EUC, you just have to fly under the radar and avoid the coppers. :ph34r:

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Im not saying none of them have ridden in London.

I said neither of them live anywhere near London and dont usually ride near London. :confused1:

Then again, lots of people do ride plevs in London. But they are poking the bears for sure. And no amount of charm or confidence will enable you to get away with it forever.

• Like 2

If you ride on the pavement, you can get fined, but theoretically they cannot confiscate your wheel. On the other hand, on the road or on a cycling lane, the fine can be way higher and they can confiscate your wheel. So I am told; please double check.

In any case, just avoid any contact with coppers, nothing good can be had from there unfortunately. They usually wear high-vis jackets, and mostly keep around the "cycling super highways" when trying to crack down on electric vehicles, so are not too hard to spot. Avoid the Battersea Park like plague, and Chelsea if at all possible. They must have special instructions there to be tough on PLEVs.

Personnally I subscribed to an insurance in France with an address in France. The insurance reads valid in the whole of EU, though I am sure it is useless in the UK, especially after brexit. My intention is to play dumb innocent tourist, and produce it as a kind of justification of my good intentions, in case I get approached by the police. That won't fly very high though.

If they stop you, do not argue too much; they have the law with them, eucs are illegal in the UK. You need to talk your way out of the situation quickly, which frankly is not too hard, but heavily depends on the individual case.

Good luck :) 

• Like 1

On 10/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, Wonderwebb said:

Check out esha she knows how to handle the police 

I don't have a facebook account myself but asked a friend to apply. Thank you!

On 10/12/2019 at 4:33 AM, gena said:

If you ride on the pavement, you can get fined, but theoretically they cannot confiscate your wheel. On the other hand, on the road or on a cycling lane, the fine can be way higher and they can confiscate your wheel. So I am told; please double check.

In any case, just avoid any contact with coppers, nothing good can be had from there unfortunately. They usually wear high-vis jackets, and mostly keep around the "cycling super highways" when trying to crack down on electric vehicles, so are not too hard to spot. Avoid the Battersea Park like plague, and Chelsea if at all possible. They must have special instructions there to be tough on PLEVs.

Personnally I subscribed to an insurance in France with an address in France. The insurance reads valid in the whole of EU, though I am sure it is useless in the UK, especially after brexit. My intention is to play dumb innocent tourist, and produce it as a kind of justification of my good intentions, in case I get approached by the police. That won't fly very high though.

If they stop you, do not argue too much; they have the law with them, eucs are illegal in the UK. You need to talk your way out of the situation quickly, which frankly is not too hard, but heavily depends on the individual case.

Good luck :) 

Do you have any sources for that? I couldn't find anything online, maybe my search terms aren't good.

I guess I can't really play the dumb tourist here after being issued two warnings. Canterbury is not that big, I've probably met half the police force with these two guys lol.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:47 AM, Retrovertigo said:

To think what a forward thinking, inventive country we once used to be. Reduced to stopping people for riding alternative transport solutions.....how depressing.

That was so disappointing and surprising! A great country like the UK shouldn't rely on laws that are 100s years old to regulate new & modern tech.

• Like 1