Riding in the cold?

Retrovertigo

I have been reading @Mike Sacristan's posts about some issues he has been having with the battery on his 16X in the cold, and wanted to ask more about this with regards the Z10.

I haven't really got a grasp on the whole battery thing, as I'm obviously just used to having various electronic goods where you simply watch the charge percentage. But with EUC's it seems the voltage reading is important as well, though I don't understand it really. But how about the cold and the Z10?

I have been itching to carry on my practicing, but the weather here has been really wet for the last week or so and today is the first dry day for ages. But the temperature outside is 3°c at the moment, and not sure if that is too cold to be riding in, or what precautions I should take first? Cheers

9 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I don't know too many Z10 riders though but maybe @stephen can chime in if he has been riding his Z10 in the cold.

Tbh I've never really noticed the z10 losing range when it's cold ,i don't ride it as much as my msx 16x though

I'll try take notice next time it's cold and take it out 😬🥶

3 hours ago, Retrovertigo said:

I have been itching to carry on my practicing, but the weather here has been really wet for the last week or so and today is the first dry day for ages. But the temperature outside is 3°c at the moment, and not sure if that is too cold to be riding in, or what precautions I should take first? Cheers

Ofc you can carry on practicing. Only precautions i would take is wear saftey gear lol ,as regarding the z10 just charge it up if your going out long time because batteries don't like cold and they run down quicker and can limit your range 

I wouldn't worry too much about riding in the cold it will probly bother you more than the wheel,, go practice 👍👍😁

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I have done a lot of riding in the cold on my MSX. Even on snow and on ice.
There are quite a few other riders who have done the same.
I don't know too many Z10 riders though but maybe @stephen can chime in if he has been riding his Z10 in the cold.

But you forget that they are Gotways and they all have a built-in case heater.

It's not called a heater, but a control board. :efefa6edcf: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stephen said:

Ofc you can carry on practicing. Only precautions i would take is wear saftey gear lol ,as regarding the z10 just charge it up if your going out long time because batteries don't like cold and they run down quicker and can limit your range 

I wouldn't worry too much about riding in the cold it will probly bother you more than the wheel,, go practice 👍👍😁

Well you say that, but (don't laugh)…..I am still in my honeymoon period and don't want to get it wet!! :efeec46606:

edit: actually, how do you guys go about charging? I know you both ride long distances most of the time, but I'm still only going a handful of miles (mainly because of pain in my legs, not related to riding) and so mine can sit there on around 70% or so at times. 

I have read a lot of posts from people around the net to try and only charge up to around 80%. But then I've seen Z10 owners say to charge to 100% and then leave it even longer while it balances the batteries, which it can't do if you cut it off at 80% ish. Cheers

Edited by Retrovertigo
  • Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 8:26 AM, Retrovertigo said:

I have been reading @Mike Sacristan's posts about some issues he has been having with the battery on his 16X in the cold, and wanted to ask more about this with regards the Z10.

I haven't really got a grasp on the whole battery thing, as I'm obviously just used to having various electronic goods where you simply watch the charge percentage. But with EUC's it seems the voltage reading is important as well, though I don't understand it really. But how about the cold and the Z10?

I rode my Z10 last winter, I think the coldest was around -20C. No problems as long as you keep the wheel inside before riding. Then the battery will more or less stay warm during the ride. The problem is how to keep the rider warm.

• Like 3

3C is nothing.. i believe the batteries themselves are rated for down to -10.. not that while in operation they would ever get that cold unless you were to ride for a long time in -40 weather lol... the internal temperature of the EUC and of the packs themselves is much higher than ambient during normal usage.. i would say you probably dont live in an area where you should ever have to worry about that.. just dont charge them outside in the middle of winter lol.. you will however, have a very noticeable drop in the amount of usage you can get out of them as the temperature drops.. but it is not harmful.. heat is what is harmful to them.. even if you were in the middle of the artic while you might not be able to ride, the batteries would be perfectly fine.. freezing them is actually beneficial

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 3

On 10/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Retrovertigo said:

Well you say that, but (don't laugh)…..I am still in my honeymoon period and don't want to get it wet!! :efeec46606:

edit: actually, how do you guys go about charging? I know you both ride long distances most of the time, but I'm still only going a handful of miles (mainly because of pain in my legs, not related to riding) and so mine can sit there on around 70% or so at times. 

I have read a lot of posts from people around the net to try and only charge up to around 80%. But then I've seen Z10 owners say to charge to 100% and then leave it even longer while it balances the batteries, which it can't do if you cut it off at 80% ish. Cheers

I always charge to 100% if I'm going out next day , if i don't go out next day i don't charge it , the z10 i charge to 100% only because the battery drops anyway 😬 just charge it and use it 👍

• Like 3

On 10/2/2019 at 7:26 AM, Retrovertigo said:

In comparision to other EUCs, Z10 has much "smarter" BMS in terms of some features and protections. For example if temperature of battery will fall below some value (somewhere near 0°C IIRC), it won't allow you to turn on the wheel. However, as long as you ride, current flowing out and in will cause battery to heat up due to power losses. So if you store and charge your wheel in a warm, ~20°C room and then take you for a ride, it probably won't cool anything near to 0°C before the end of your ride. Even if there is -5°C outside (or even colder). But you have to ride, with only shorts stops (waiting for traffic lights etc.). And I wouldn't bother with limiting battery charge level. Just charge it to 100% to have a wheel ready to ride next day. Babying your battery may in fact cause it's quicker deterioration :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Seba said:

In comparision to other EUCs, Z10 has much "smarter" BMS in terms of some features and protections. For example if temperature of battery will fall below some value (somewhere near 0°C IIRC), it won't allow you to turn on the wheel. However, as long as you ride, current flowing out and in will cause battery to heat up due to power losses. So if you store and charge your wheel in a warm, ~20°C room and then take you for a ride, it probably won't cool anything near to 0°C before the end of your ride. Even if there is -5°C outside (or even colder). But you have to ride, with only shorts stops (waiting for traffic lights etc.). And I wouldn't bother with limiting battery charge level. Just charge it to 100% to have a wheel ready to ride next day. Babying your battery may in fact cause it's quicker deterioration :)

Thanks mate. I do appreciate replies like this....helping me to grasp the small details :) 

• Like 1

Hmm, maybe this is a good time and idea to add Z6/Z8/Z10 battery temperature readout and possibility to alarm when it goes below 5°C.

• Like 2

Shameless plug but here's my experience riding my Z10 last winter; the temperature was around 20-30F I think and all charging was done outside. This was not a happy trip for the z10 as the battery was charging very slowly and in the end the wheel wouldn't turn on even though I still have 35-40% left.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hsiang said:

in the end the wheel wouldn't turn on even though I still have 35-40% left.

I didn’t watch the video, but it’s been said that the Z10 doesn’t turn on if the internal temperature drops below +4•C or so.