IPS 132 V2 - Track Record

panda

Public record of my experience with my unicycle. Please don't let this deter you from contacting Jason. However if you suffer from any of the following faults, I am sure @Jason McNeil will be able to sort it out.

Brief timeline of my unicycle(s):

• 06th August 2015 - Power cutting safety mechanism stops working. Metal noise heard when traveling (i.e. with load ~ 60kg) in one direction only. Audio Here
  • 08th August 2015 - Jason replaces the entire inside of my unicycle with a brand new one.  Of course no problem there. Pedals become loose, but I can live with that. (i.e. they don't stay up fully when retracted.)

• 18 September 2015 - Strange rubber noise can be heard when travelling in one direction only. Travelling in the other direction for 10+ minutes seemed to stop this noise completely. Audio1 Here & Audio2 Here
  • 20 September 2015 - Jason replaces the entire inside of my unicycle with his demo wheel. Once again, no problem there.

• 12 October 2015 - Power randomly cuts, especially when travelling over small bumps/features. This happens when travelling at any speed.:(
  • ~ 19 October 2015 - About a week later, Jason fixed the issue.
  • Potential solution: Try tightening any loose screws/nuts in your wheel

• 5 July 2016 - Power randomly cutting when travelling over small bumps again. This is similar, if not identical to the previous problem.
  • 9 July 2016 - Jason referred me to Stefan to get it fixed. According to him, there was a loose nut as Gimlet suggested.
  • Potential solution: Try tightening any loose screws/nuts in your wheel

How much do I use it?

• Commuting to work everyday in central London (~ 15 mins)
  • Very rare shopping journey with a backpack (< 20Kg of shopping & ~ 60Kg of my weight)
  • Weekly journey to/from a gym's bus stop (~ 5 min journey)

Doesn't sound very good. 

The only problem I've had with my two is the wheel nuts loosening off in the first few weeks. I took them off refitted with some locktite thread locker and torqued them up with my torque wrench.

They don't get daily use but they are the wheel of choice to start people off on and with the dozens we've taught to ride they get a lot of fairly rough handling.

Did anyone else have such problems? Jason seems to suggest that I am the only one having this problem, so maybe I use it too often or am doing something fundamentally wrong. :unsure:

Doesn't sound like an abuse of the device by any stretch of the word to me. I'd rather think you are simply the unlucky one to have gotten the bad outlier in the production line. That can happen, unfortunately. 

@Gimlet: I would like to open it up and see if I can fix it, but Jason said that I would void my warranty with them if I did so.

@Niko: It just gets frustrating when all three wheels (internal) are outliers. Will I ever get a non-outlier? -_-

I tried contacting Jason on Monday, but he hasn't replied. I'll probably call him directly tomorrow afternoon though.

EDIT: He fixed this problem in about a week, fast service!

So what's the latest with the wheel?  I wonder if it's not the control board, but it could be a factory issue with the electric motor itself or maybe a bad BMS / cell in the battery pack.  Perhaps there's a weak connection in the motor which cannot handle sudden changes in current leading to a power loss or perhaps it's a faulty hall sensor?  If you've replaced the control board a couple of times, and the problem persists, there's only a couple of other possibilities...

It's tough riding a wheel that you cannot trust... hopefully @Jason McNeil can figure it out...

I'm not actually sure what Jason changed previously, so I don't know if it's the control board.

However what I do know is that the current motor is not the original motor I had. After the September fault, Jason said he swapped out my motor/wheel from a spare wheel.

Panda sent the message yesterday, when I was flying back to Miami. Making my way through the 100+ email backlog but it seems he hasn't had the courtesy of waiting for a response before posting here. 

What is not conveyed in the log is that he's been using the Wheel trouble free from October to yesterday, or that there are over a hundred people around Europe who have been using this model Wheel generally without issue. We work very hard to deliver  top pre/post sales service, so thought a response was in order.

This particular issue is what Gimlet said, Wheelnuts can get a bit loose over time. It's a short job that we'll be happly take on regardless of the state of warranty.

Some days I envy your job, Jason, others days not so much.  ;)   You have to keep in mind though that a day without EUC riding is like a day without sunshine so it's hard waiting for a response.  We're here 24/7 so people tend to look for answers on the forum.  Users have to keep in mind that sellers don't always have the time to give an instant answer as they have many other things on the go so patience can be a virtue.

It looks like he's in good hands, as usual, and you'll get him rolling again.

Firstly, thank you for replying. Hope your flight wasn't too crowded.

Secondly, I would appreciate the customer-vendor privacy. I am not a public figure, so please do refrain from publishing confidential information (such as my name) on a public forum.

Thirdly, the log conveys only problems I've had with the wheel. Nothing more, nothing less. As such, I would hope the absence of a problem means that it has been running perfectly. Apologise if you feel that this thread has something against you.

Finally, I posted on here in addition to my email because I wanted a more public record that the fault occured during the one year period. I am not here to point fingers or moan at you. Other posters asked if you replied yet, I merely answered their question.

Just to be clear:

"he hasn't had the courtesy of waiting for a response before posting here"

I don't believe any of my replies were particularly hostile or can be percieved as an attack on you, so I do question your attack on me.

Edit:

Thanks again for replying to the forum post Jason! I would probably have missed your reply if I didn't accidentally keep this page open. An email would be great next time.

2 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Some days I envy your job, Jason, others days not so much.  ;)  

Thanks, it's true that Panda has certainly had ealier on a disproportionately larger share of bad luck with his Wheel.

2 hours ago, panda said:

Secondly, I would appreciate the customer-vendor privacy. 

Thirdly, the log conveys only problems I've had with the wheel. Nothing more, nothing less. As such, I would hope the absence of a problem means that it has been running perfectly. Apologise if you feel that this thread has something against 

OK,  thought you used your firstname elsewhere, maybe I was mistaken, redacted.

Communications are never neutral, a title of 'never ending problems' is not conducive to attracting business. But this is not the first time where if I don't immediately answer a call or respond to a message you post here, for instance on October 14th you said " tried contacting Jason on Monday, but he hasn't replied. " but  failed to mention that I sorted things out and that at the time you were satisfied, giving readers the impression I somehow left you bereft of service.

@panda sorry to hear about the problems with your wheel. I understand how frustrating it can be when a problem resurfaces, i hope that "unicycle gods " will be favorable to you in the future and provide a worry free riding for the longest time. 

Nothing wrong with listing keeping the log of issues with the wheel, probably nothing wrong with communicating the issues with others so people know what kind of problems this model can have. Of course you paid the money and expect a good product. I understand your frustration, but i think the way you communicated inadvertently expressed that you are not getting a proper service from the distributor. You may have shared the facts, but the facts and the perception are not necessarily the same thing. The distributor's reputation on the forum is very important to them - and they strive to achieve customer satisfaction and provide a good service. @Jason McNeil is normally very responsive , probably the most responsive distributor i know, and he was in fact travelling yesterday. I know that he has gone out of his way many times to provide service beyond his warranty obligations, and i have no doubt, he will be able to help you.

i am sure Jason will be able to tell you exactly what parts were replaced in the past, so you have a piece of mind as to what internal components are in your wheel. Its always better to resolve any issues with your distributor first.  Of course if you end up being treated unfairly by any distributor, others may want to know about it, but i am sure this is a very rare situatikn that a reputable dealer will want to jeopardize his reputation to make a quick buck. 

Sounds like you guys are resolving any remaining issues with the wheel and hope you will be riding worry free again soon!! Good luck and let us know you are back on the horse!!

@Jason McNeil I wish I could get after-sales service like Jason seems to be giving to a lot of people here on the forum (respect for that Jason).

@pandaToo much bad luck maybe, or somehow this wheel cannot cope with the way you use it (the 50min travel is it non-stop?)

Anyway, sometimes it's better to let things go. Try a Zero, it will definitely look better on you.

Best of luck.

6 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Communications are never neutral, a title of 'never ending problems' is not conducive to attracting business. But this is not the first time where if I don't immediately answer a call or respond to a message you post here, for instance on October 14th you said " tried contacting Jason on Monday, but he hasn't replied. " but  failed to mention that I sorted things out and that at the time you were satisfied, giving readers the impression I somehow left you bereft of service.

I have changed the title of the post, and edited the first post to reflect that you indeed sorted the October problem out. If you wish for there to be more changes, just let me know.

@Cloud I understand what you are saying. That is why when Jason contacted me a few months ago regarding his customers raising questions about this post, I edited the post to point out that he is a good vendor and that this is just my problems.

@Jurgen I agree with you that Jason has excellent after-sales service. Unlike other places, he offers a 1 year full warranty. In regards to the 50min journey, I hardly ever do it anymore. Maybe once every 2 months?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived