What a Jerk!

Donafello

A thief would be moving pretty slow lugging my 30 lb EU. (Then again if the thief knew how to ride...) Nobody get any ideas to commit crimes on an EU from this! However I do sense the possibility of a pretty cool movie or maybe a Law & Order episode!

It'd be great for a thief, but It actually doesn't lock if it's moving (tried it at 1mph :-D ). You'd have to chase him to a red light and lock it :-)

Thanks! Good to know. Something didn't seem right about that. You could butt dial the lock button. 

Have you tried testing pressing the lit mode button above speed of lit mode?

I do live in a "good" neighbourhood but that didn't stop my eldest son having a rubbish bin thrown at him whilst he was riding home one night last week.

He came off into some other bins and broke two teeth, it's going to be some very expensive dental work to fix them.

Obviously they were a couple of drunken louts but you are at risk from idiots like that when you are riding.

This only happens in America. He better hope his gun is bigger than mine. ;)

Now that's a new thought: Concealed carry on a euc. Better make sure the safety's on, you wouldn't want to shoot yourself during an unplanned dismount. :)

Can we expect to see wheel by shootings in the future as an alternative to drive by? :)

I'd just set it up to self-destroy on remote command... a half a kilo of thermite near the batteries with barium nitrate-trigger & simple cellphone should be enough. Wait 'til he's far enough, then send a triggering SMS and watch the fireworks (and the would-be-robbers legs blown off) ;) And of course it was just a device malfunction... :P

I'd just set it up to self-destroy on remote command... a half a kilo of thermite near the batteries with barium nitrate-trigger & simple cellphone should be enough. Wait 'til he's far enough, then send a triggering SMS and watch the fireworks (and the would-be-robbers legs blown off) ;) And of course it was just a device malfunction... :P

I was thinking along similar lines.  A customised app that could be trigged to create random but frequent  shutoffs at 80% max speed might be fun.  

And of course it was just a device malfunction... :P

You'd stand over the legless body and say "It'll do that if you over-lean.".

I do live in a "good" neighbourhood but that didn't stop my eldest son having a rubbish bin thrown at him whilst he was riding home one night last week.

He came off into some other bins and broke two teeth, it's going to be some very expensive dental work to fix them.

Obviously they were a couple of drunken louts but you are at risk from idiots like that when you are riding.

That's terrible.  Were they angry about something?  Or just didn't like EU's?

@esaj I definitely will not be tempted to boost any of your wheels! From the tech I've seen you discuss here, I am certain you are capable of booby trapping your rig! Oddly enough, the EU is the size and shape of some of the larger anti-tank mines. Neat idea for a custom case!

@Gimlet Hope your son is well soon. We have enough to worry about with danger from inattentive drivers, it is an injustice to endure attacks of idiocy.

@esaj I definitely will not be tempted to boost any of your wheels! From the tech I've seen you discuss here, I am certain you are capable of booby trapping your rig!

Or then I'd just blow my own legs/arms/face/other body parts off due to a small mistake when building it :P  Thermite itself is pretty stable though and needs very high temperature to ignite (that's what the barium nitrate would be for), but once it starts to burn, it burns hot (way over 1000 Celsius, up to 2500 Celsius) and there's no easy way to extinguish it, as the oxide keeps it going... it'll go through a car engine block, if there's enough & it's lighted on the hood. :D  The idea would be that the battery cells explode, as the heat is so enormous, that no safety vents are enough to prevent the pressure build up.

I like @MrBump's idea of causing a high-speed shut off remotely... ;)

It's kind of morbid and distasteful to dwell on how to make the EU more effectively destructive, yet I'll continue... A charge with a shaped copper focusing projectile aiming straight up from the housing would minimize bystander injury.

Now that's a new thought: Concealed carry on a euc. Better make sure the safety's on, you wouldn't want to shoot yourself during an unplanned dismount. :)

Can we expect to see wheel by shootings in the future as an alternative to drive by? :)

Really, it is not a problem.  

I think I found the thief!!

1466819969412299332.gif

On a semi-serious note, I was talking to my buddy while we were riding about how the EUC is a perfect hijacking tool. It's fast and more importantly very quiet so you can really come up behind someone without them knowing it.

Or then I'd just blow my own legs/arms/face/other body parts off due to a small mistake when building it :P  Thermite itself is pretty stable though and needs very high temperature to ignite (that's what the barium nitrate would be for), but once it starts to burn, it burns hot (way over 1000 Celsius, up to 2500 Celsius) and there's no easy way to extinguish it, as the oxide keeps it going... it'll go through a car engine block, if there's enough & it's lighted on the hood. :D  The idea would be that the battery cells explode, as the heat is so enormous, that no safety vents are enough to prevent the pressure build up.

I like @MrBump's idea of causing a high-speed shut off remotely... ;)

Hilarious, I never thought I'd be learning about Thermite on an Electric Unicycle Forum ...  If Batman ever needs to contract someone to arm his custom monocycle (probably would start with this in keeping with the batmobile's tumbler design), I think you'll be the right man for the job. :D

Archived