Tesla V2 - Any owner here?

8 hours ago, Thomas Champagne said:

Topkek So your board has been replaced? Hope it's working back for you if so.

I also purchased the Tesla v2 today at Rockwheel store. I'm a bit scary while reading this :unsure:. It's my first wheel i'm coming from esk8.

-- off topic --

Did you get your tesla v2 with red or silver speakers? Is there a difference between the two models ?! Differents lots?!

Are there two version of Tesla 2? I've seen the one with red speakers. Do you have picture of the silver version? Thanks.

Edit: nevermind

UTB8AVLAq1vJXKJkSajhq6A7aFXaG.jpg

Edited by Snowball

On 7/1/2019 at 10:58 PM, Topkek said:

Yeah mine is the v2 Tesla that cut off, I was so lucky something bad didn’t happen - no people or cars about.  I think the low pedals saved me as I some how jumped off and managed to catch the wheel from rolling off (the whole thing is a blur).  I was going max 15mph.  If this would’ve happened at critical mass though, hundreds of people on bikes; I dread to think.

I don’t know anything about the issue other than hot glue having something to do with it.  The power draw of the speaker maybe is stressing the mosfets more than normal as I was listening to music a lot.  

I loved the wheel though, best wheel I ever rode.  Just effortless torque and ease of us.  Beautiful design, the lights look so cool and not over the top (go completely red when braking).  The handle is perfect for holding a shopping basket and the wheel in one hand.  Battery life was sufficient for my use.  No foot fatigue, no issue with side pads.  Loved the speaker also.  

I really didn’t want to say anything bad about the wheel, I like it like Marty liked the nikola before his mishap.

Man, I'm really sorry for what happened.

Any updates yet? Are you riding it now with new board?

I've been figuring out what to buy the last 2 weeks and now that I have decided on buying the Tesla, I read something like this, just as I am starting to rely on GW not making stuff that don't work.

@US69, don't know if you've heard anything regarding the new v2 that is good for us to know?

Edited by Azze80

4 hours ago, Topkek said:

Mine are silver speakers.  What colour are yours?

Yes I replaced the board.  As you can see above no hot glue issue, no burned mosfets.   

Not received yet but i asked for the red speakers version.

I should receive it in 7-10 days. I will provide updates and pictures in this thread.

Tom

3 hours ago, Azze80 said:

@US69, don't know if you've heard anything regarding the new v2 that is good for us to know?

I would not overrate this one or two report of a cutout, as this here is the exact same Person, that i know from the english Group.

I have NOT heard of construction issues, in contrary, on the V2 Nothing which is relevant for safety, has changed to the V1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Azze80 said:

Man, I'm really sorry for what happened.

Any updates yet? Are you riding it now with new board?

I've been figuring out what to buy the last 2 weeks and now that I have decided on buying the Tesla, I read something like this, just as I am starting to rely on GW not making stuff that don't work.

Have the new board in, going to go somewhere with grass both sides wearing some protection to test it. 

I’m not sure about the change of speaker surround.  Both red and silver are plastic and seem to be scuffed by the grip tape, maybe just cosmetic change to match the red light.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Topkek said:

Have the new board in, going to go somewhere with grass both sides wearing some protection to test it. 

I’m not sure about the change of speaker surround.  Both red and silver are plastic and seem to be scuffed by the grip tape, maybe just cosmetic change to match the red light.

Let me know how it goes and good luck!

On 7/18/2019 at 4:11 PM, Topkek said:

Any update yet?

Also, do you have the name of the store at aliexpress from where you bought it?

20 hours ago, Azze80 said:

Any update yet?

Also, do you have the name of the store at aliexpress from where you bought it?

I changed the handle switch and now I have the problem another rider on our group had lol.

Rockwheel store, been very helpful.  Sent new board and switch. 

I'd be surprised if the board and general construction would have changed from the v1. Why would it? Essentially it's  just the cut iff and speakers that are new.

Has anyone compared the v1 board and the v2 board? I'm curious if they tried to downgrade parts or build to cost cut.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got my Tesla V2!  This is the wheel I was looking for!  The KS-16X is nice but a juggernaut imho.  Then I tried the MCM5, but smaller and more squirrelly than what I wanted.  Tesla has the feel I am looking for.  The Telsa and the MTen3 feel like extensions of my body, they just jive so naturally.  I have to work the 16X somewhat, not as a natural feeling.  And the MCM5 ... I almost want to say it's too responsive (and hence unnatural).  The Tesla is the first wheel I've used that I took off no problem and felt immediately used to it.  Literally right away, I feel more in tune with the Tesla after 3 minutes, than I do on the MCM5 after a month.  I may have to do something about the Telsa pads though.  I prefer the MCM5 egg shell as my first impression.

• Like 3

I'm sure someone probably already did this, but I peeled the pads off, tested it real quick, and then went ahead and peeled off (thus destroying) the clear double-sided adhesive tape.  Under the pad, it's actually inset ~1mm smooth and curved.  Oh man relief for my calves!  (I have beefy marathon runner calve muscles.)  Also,  I find the Telsa motor sound to be pleasing.  It's not silent, but it's also not obnoxious, it has a pleasant subtle timbre, letting you know it's there.

g1qdQcn.jpg

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

I'm sure someone probably already did this, but I peeled the pads off, tested it real quick, and then went ahead and peeled off (thus destroying) the clear double-sided adhesive tape.  Under the pad, it's actually inset ~1mm smooth and curved.  Oh man relief for my calves!  (I have beefy marathon runner calve muscles.)  Also,  I find the Telsa motor sound to be pleasing.  It's not silent, but it's also not obnoxious, it has a pleasant subtle timbre, letting you know it's there.

g1qdQcn.jpg

oh yea it didnt take me long at all to replace those pads with something much more suitable on my tesla lol.. i have stick thin legs and yet it still is very unpleasant with those pads.. they just hit in the absolute worst spot, its like they dont even test these things at all before they go ahead and manufacture a thousand of them lol.. mcm5, tesla, msx.. all have very poor pads, i have never felt pain from any other wheel from any company, except for gotway where every single one ive owned i replaced or removed the pads lmao.. other than that you are right it is a very comfortable natural feeling wheel

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh yea it didnt take me long at all to replace those pads with something much more suitable on my tesla lol.. i have stick thin legs and yet it still is very unpleasant with those pads.. they just hit in the absolute worst spot, its like they dont even test these things at all before they go ahead and manufacture a thousand of them lol.. mcm5, tesla, msx.. all have very poor pads, i have never felt pain from any other wheel from any company, except for gotway where every single one ive owned i replaced or removed the pads lmao.. other than that you are right it is a very comfortable natural feeling wheel

I see you have a KS16S too, how does the KS16S feel compared to the Tesla?  I've seen the spec talk, but how's the feeling, is it natural, and how does the mass centralization or yaw and tilt inertia compare?  Nobody talks about these things ...

24 minutes ago, xorbe said:

I see you have a KS16S too, how does the KS16S feel compared to the Tesla?  I've seen the spec talk, but how's the feeling, is it natural, and how does the mass centralization or yaw and tilt inertia compare?  Nobody talks about these things ...

i have always said that the KS16S is the most comfortable wheel i have ever ridden, everything about it is absolutely spot on and it is my go to daily commuter wheel for almost three years.. i had two at one point and then as i accumulated more wheels and they came out with the V2 i sold both of them off in favour of the V2.. i wouldnt trade it for anything and if they managed to put a 2000W motor and larger battery in it i might opt to have a slew of them instead of all of my current wheels haha.. it rides somewhat similar to the tesla but it is a little more relaxed, whereas the tesla feels wound up like a bouncy kid full of energy.. the wheel i would compare it most to that ive owned is the ACM actually, it feels quite grounded with a low center of mass, compared to the tesla which is a bit higher up making it very slightly harder to balance but also slightly easier to tilt.. 16S though is ergononically perfect though in my opinion, the battery life is amazing, it has plenty of torque and pep, more than you would expect for a 1200W motor, trolley is absolutely perfect, all they need to do it put in a new motor where that whine is gone because while it doesnt bother me wearing headphones, it screams like a bat out of hell.. but across 3 units and 15000 km between them, i have not had one single issue, it is the most comfortable, reliable, well built robust commuter wheel there is if you ask me.. now of course for someone who wants raw speed its not the wheel for you, but its definitely no slouch if youre a lighter rider it can gun it pretty damn good especially for a three year old motor ive never been able to get it to complain.. in terms of outside comparison the tesla feels like a shoddily slapped together creaky flimsy plastic thing compared to an extremely well built, well thought out, tried and true tank.. though it has old school somewhat low, flat pedals.. ive upgraded to the XL pedals and done a very simple mod that takes thirty seconds to give all of my KS wheels a more aggressive pedal angle though and they become much more nimble

• Like 1

About the Mosfets & music suspicion from last page, the power Mosfets of EUCs are not related to secondary peripherals like sound systems or lights in any way. The Mosfets only power the motor.

The Tesla pads indeed make the wheel’s ergonomics feel like the boxy wheels of 2014 or so. The leg contact point should be padded and contoured (not sharp) and high enough from the pedals. A trio that GW hasn’t gotten right on any model. (Not sure about the Monster though.)

The 16S is a great wheel, but the pedal feel is noticeably softer than on any GW wheel younger than 2 years. For a 100kg person at least the difference is quite notable. That absolutely doesn’t make the KS approach bad in any way, but it’s a marked difference.

I’m conflicted wether I’d ride faster than 35km/h on any 16” wheel. Then again, more experience on the Tesla might change that due to the more stable riding modes.

Ever since I modified my 16S to fit a 2.5” tire, all 16 x 2.125 wheels have made me feel like it was a part of history that I’ve grown out from. Tesla would require a lot more work to fit 2.5”. If I had to choose between a Tesla v2 and a 2.5” 16S, I might have to go with the 16S. But as a direct comparison in default form, my weight makes me lean towards the Tesla, as I have turst in my abilities to make a padding comfortable enough.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

The 16S is a great wheel, but the pedal feel is noticeably softer than on any GW wheel younger than 2 years. For a 100kg person at least the difference is quite notable. That absolutely doesn’t make the KS approach bad in any way, but it’s a marked difference.

I’m conflicted wether I’d ride faster than 35km/h on any 16” wheel. Then again, more experience on the Tesla might change that due to the more stable riding modes.

Ever since I modified my 16S to fit a 2.5” tire, all 16 x 2.125 wheels have made me feel like it was a part of history that I’ve grown out from. Tesla would require a lot more work to fit 2.5”. If I had to choose between a Tesla v2 and a 2.5” 16S, I might have to go with the 16S. But as a direct comparison in default form, my weight makes me lean towards the Tesla, as I have turst in my abilities to make a padding comfortable enough.

I don't doubt that at all but luckily at 53 kg all pedals feel equally rock solid.. tesla feels very stable at speeds even with it's thin tire actually I am very comfortable going up to 50 kph on one, though you sure wouldn't want to hit a pot hole haha.. I've ridden 1.95, 2.125, 2.5, 3, 3.5 and for some reason I just prefer 2.125 feels more comfortable to me, 1.95 and 2.5 are also ok but anything more than 2.5 I dislike.. you can definitely make the tesla comfortable you just have to put a bit of padding lower than factory so it doesn't beat the hell out of your shins lol then it could be comparable to the feeling of an 18xl without it's pads, it also needs some sort of ankle pads if you like to have your feet close in it's not rounded like inmotions just totally flat as well your ankle bone rests very uncomfortably right in the recessed hidden screw compartment.. and if youre looking to get a tesla they are making a new version and the 21700 version will also be mainstream soon

• Like 1

On 7/18/2019 at 1:08 AM, Topkek said:

Mine are silver speakers.  What colour are yours?

Yes I replaced the board.  As you can see above no hot glue issue, no burned mosfets.   

silver are only very early models they quickly changed it to red.. that's the only difference is the plastic colour.. personally, I have no idea why they changed to red it doesn't suit it at all literally everything is black why not make them black and inconspicuous

13 hours ago, Rywokast said:

and if youre looking to get a tesla they are making a new version and the 21700 version will also be mainstream soon

Yeah I saw that, but I have a bigger wheel already if I need to ride forever, so I figured the current Tesla would be fine.  Too bad they put in a light instead of a second speaker, hah, who decides these things.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Yeah I saw that, but I have a bigger wheel already if I need to ride forever, so I figured the current Tesla would be fine.  Too bad they put in a light instead of a second speaker, hah, who decides these things.

probably the same idiot who thought to put in a hideously annoying startup sound that cant be turned off?

My lift sensor on my Tesle V2 never worked. And after 4 weeks the main board burned. Now sending it back for repair.
Weak mosfets seems to be a problem.
Strangely there is a thin layer of rubber between the mosfet and the cooling. Why not directly to the cooling aluminium for better cooling (with cooling paste)?

3 hours ago, zeroSIXzero said:

Strangely there is a thin layer of rubber between the mosfet and the cooling. Why not directly to the cooling aluminium for better cooling (with cooling paste)?

The mosfets must be electrically isolated from the cooling plate, which a paste wouldn’t do. The ”rubber” plate is a specific kind of silicone temperature conductor, and I think every EUC mainboard uses them.