Tesla V2 - Any owner here?

Hi there, 

I've just ordered this recent updated model. I'd like to know from any owner what are his impression about the wheel in general and the features in particular. I'm curious about the quality of the speakers installed on the EUC (I've not read great things in comments section on AliExpress) and the usage of the lift sensor. 

Thanks for your feedback. 

Not a Tesla V2 owner, but ecodrift did a review of it (english translated link), covering the changes.

They say the lift sensor works well. About the speaker:

"About the sound. The speakers are very, very loud. Even if you turn on the music next to a busy highway, the sound at full volume noticeably cuts hearing. And here lies the problem: the sound for music is terrible. Very sharp, no bass at all. This sound can really scare passersby."

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, walsus said:

Not a Tesla V2 owner, but ecodrift did a review of it (english translated link), covering the changes.

They say the lift sensor works well. About the speaker:

"About the sound. The speakers are very, very loud. Even if you turn on the music next to a busy highway, the sound at full volume noticeably cuts hearing. And here lies the problem: the sound for music is terrible. Very sharp, no bass at all. This sound can really scare passersby."

Thanks for you answer. I've seen this review but it was in Russian. What I got by the translation is that they are not so excited by that EUC. It seems they are more attracted by the Kingsong 16S V2 they reviewed a week before. And this dumfound me a bit because I've sold my 16S V1 to buy a Tesla V2 :)

Will be possible to turn those speakers off? I guess it would. 

i cant say for sure since i dont own one.. but wouldnt those speakers be like right where your ankles are? they just seem like they would make the tesla take even longer to get used to.. idk what you mean about turn the speakers off, since they are not on unless you are playing music, they arent used for alarms or anything thats just the same beeper.. the cutoff should be very useful though and work perfectly like it does on the mcm5 and nikola.. should be very similar to inmotions since its a physical switch that you are depressing so i cant see how it could go wrong.. even the new kingsong ones that are physical switches triggered by lifting the trolley causing it to press them internally work pretty much flawlessly now

11 hours ago, Rywokast said:

i cant say for sure since i dont own one.. but wouldnt those speakers be like right where your ankles are? they just seem like they would make the tesla take even longer to get used to.. idk what you mean about turn the speakers off, since they are not on unless you are playing music, they arent used for alarms or anything thats just the same beeper.. the cutoff should be very useful though and work perfectly like it does on the mcm5 and nikola.. should be very similar to inmotions since its a physical switch that you are depressing so i cant see how it could go wrong.. even the new kingsong ones that are physical switches triggered by lifting the trolley causing it to press them internally work pretty much flawlessly now

The speaker surround is plastic.  I’ve not had any issue with ankles plus only one side is at ankle position.  

I used the speaker (one, other side is a blank for the light) for critical mass London ride and it worked fine.  It has no bass but you can adjust the volume to a comfortable level.  A lot of people were intrigued by it because you they could hear the music in a group of hundreds of people.  People with all kinds of different music devices is well.

The motor is so quiet that it’s good to have some sort of sound to alert people of your presence IMO.   

• Upvote 2

Bought one a week ago and all I would say is that I’m glad I bought it from a local supplier.

Firstly the ride is fantastic. Smooth and powerful but after 1 day the lift sensor has stopped working and a speaker has already shown a potential fault ie. abnormal power on sound. 

Another guy on in our group also bought one from Ali express and his cut out during mid ride! Now when trying to power it back on the wheel now longer balances. Blown mosfet?!

Disappointing.. 

Yeah mine is the v2 Tesla that cut off, I was so lucky something bad didn’t happen - no people or cars about.  I think the low pedals saved me as I some how jumped off and managed to catch the wheel from rolling off (the whole thing is a blur).  I was going max 15mph.  If this would’ve happened at critical mass though, hundreds of people on bikes; I dread to think.

I don’t know anything about the issue other than hot glue having something to do with it.  The power draw of the speaker maybe is stressing the mosfets more than normal as I was listening to music a lot.  

I loved the wheel though, best wheel I ever rode.  Just effortless torque and ease of us.  Beautiful design, the lights look so cool and not over the top (go completely red when braking).  The handle is perfect for holding a shopping basket and the wheel in one hand.  Battery life was sufficient for my use.  No foot fatigue, no issue with side pads.  Loved the speaker also.  

I really didn’t want to say anything bad about the wheel, I like it like Marty liked the nikola before his mishap.

Seller is offering a replacement board but I’m not sure the replacement will be sufficient if it’s the same board.  Maybe gotway has to update this board as well in light of the speaker addition.  

Also presumably I need to buy some kind of glue gun to glue all those connections in place to stop them moving.

Edited by Topkek

12 minutes ago, Topkek said:

Seller is offering a replacement board but I’m not sure the replacement will be sufficient if it’s the same board.  Maybe gotway has to update this board is well in light of the speaker addition.  

Also presumably I need to buy some kind of glue gun to glue all those connections in place to stop them moving.

id suggest you get the new board and have a look at it.. if you notice any shit like on the original nikola glue boards, its very easy and cheap to fix yourself.. they are using a solicone for the connections to hold them in securely but a glue gun would work just the same.. i use one all the time for my 3d printer builds and various electronics with cheap connections like these

9 hours ago, Topkek said:

Yeah mine is the v2 Tesla that cut off, I was so lucky something bad didn’t happen - no people or cars about.  I think the low pedals saved me as I some how jumped off and managed to catch the wheel from rolling off (the whole thing is a blur).  I was going max 15mph.  If this would’ve happened at critical mass though, hundreds of people on bikes; I dread to think.

I don’t know anything about the issue other than hot glue having something to do with it.  The power draw of the speaker maybe is stressing the mosfets more than normal as I was listening to music a lot.  

I loved the wheel though, best wheel I ever rode.  Just effortless torque and ease of us.  Beautiful design, the lights look so cool and not over the top (go completely red when braking).  The handle is perfect for holding a shopping basket and the wheel in one hand.  Battery life was sufficient for my use.  No foot fatigue, no issue with side pads.  Loved the speaker also.  

I really didn’t want to say anything bad about the wheel, I like it like Marty liked the nikola before his mishap.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm waiting for my Tesla V2. So excited about it.
It was a pleasure to read your feedback about all the positive things this wheel has.

But I'm a little worried about that cut off. Just to be clear a cut off is a sudden turning off of the EUC, correct? Very dangerous.
You said that you were listening to the music and that could cause that cut off. Is it correct?

So the suggestion for early adopters like I'm could be not to listen to the music while riding in order to prevent this situation?
Thanks for help.

Have fun.

22 minutes ago, Snowball said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm waiting for my Tesla V2. So excited about it.
It was a pleasure to read your feedback about all the positive things this wheel has.

But I'm a little worried about that cut off. Just to be clear a cut off is a sudden turning off of the EUC, correct? Very dangerous.
You said that you were listening to the music and that could cause that cut off. Is it correct?

So the suggestion for early adopters like I'm could be not to listen to the music while riding in order to prevent this situation?
Thanks for help.

Have fun.

I wasn’t listening to music when it cutoff.  Yes when my wheel cut off it lost all power to balance.

The nights before I was riding and listening to music at high volumes.  I suspect any effect is gradual however I haven’t taken the board out so can’t determine the exact cause.  Waiting to see what the aliexpress seller says.  

It’s such a shame because the wheel was so good when it was working.  As a city wheel I think nothing matches.  Never thought I would like low pedals after the msx but the ease of getting on and off make them perfect for city use IMO.  Also I feel safer with low pedals, so this maybe my preference in the future for a city riding wheel.

7 minutes ago, Topkek said:

I wasn’t listening to music when it cutoff.  Yes when my wheel cut off it lost all power to balance.

The nights before I was riding and listening to music at high volumes.  I suspect any effect is gradual however I haven’t taken the board out so can’t determine the exact cause.  Waiting to see what the aliexpress seller says.  

It’s such a shame because the wheel was so good when it was working.  As a city wheel I think nothing matches.  Never thought I would like low pedals after the msx but the ease of getting on and off make them perfect for city use IMO.  Also I feel safer with low pedals, so this maybe my preference in the future for a city riding wheel.

A few questions for you mate:

1. What is the AliExpress seller you bought from?

2. How good is the front light? 

3. I know the EUC has not a real light (that's a pity). How you owners are solving this issue?

4. How is the wheel on dirty roads (I'm not talking about offroading, but not perfect roads or grass path)?

5. Would you be able to explain why in this video Tesla fails to climb? What's the reason? Wheel should have so much power to climb a mountain...

4. Concerning the low pedals, I'm a little confused. I'm coming from a KS-16S that I've sold to buy this Tesla V2. Since I've read about those low pedals I checked some techinical charts from the official wheel sites. I was surprised to read that Kingsong 16S pedals are 13 cm from the ground. Tesla's are 15 cm and, and that's what surprised me, Gotway's MSX has pedals at 13.6 cm from the ground. Is it possibile? Now I'm riding a Inmotion V10 that a friend borrowed and those pedals are high. Maybe too high while riding (but perfect when turning)

Thanks so much for your time. :*

4 hours ago, Snowball said:

A few questions for you mate:

1. What is the AliExpress seller you bought from?

rockwheel store

2. How good is the front light? 

It’s alright but not great, not blinding like the Ks18L

3. I know the EUC has not a real light (that's a pity). How you owners are solving this issue?

no idea

4. How is the wheel on dirty roads (I'm not talking about offroading, but not perfect roads or grass path)?

seemed okay although I haven’t tested extensively 

5. Would you be able to explain why in this video Tesla fails to climb? What's the reason? Wheel should have so much power to climb a mountain...

no idea

4. Concerning the low pedals, I'm a little confused. I'm coming from a KS-16S that I've sold to buy this Tesla V2. Since I've read about those low pedals I checked some techinical charts from the official wheel sites. I was surprised to read that Kingsong 16S pedals are 13 cm from the ground. Tesla's are 15 cm and, and that's what surprised me, Gotway's MSX has pedals at 13.6 cm from the ground. Is it possibile? Now I'm riding a Inmotion V10 that a friend borrowed and those pedals are high. Maybe too high while riding (but perfect when turning)

I have an msx, Tesla pedals are a lot lower.  Sharp turns on the Tesla aren’t possible like the msx.  I rode the ks16 and felt the pedals were even lower than Tesla.

Thanks so much for your time. :

Edited by Topkek

6 hours ago, Snowball said:

Would you be able to explain why in this video Tesla fails to climb? What's the reason? Wheel should have so much power to climb a mountain...

This is purely a skillz issue. Takes a while to learn the right technique and to trust the wheel. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, Topkek said:

I don't think the power draw of a speaker is relevant compared to the motor. Even for a very loud speaker let's say 45w, with an inefficient amplifier it would pull 60w. That's nothing compared to a 2000w motor.

I think this is the same problem as the Nikola, because that is a manufacturing issue and not a design flaw. It's related to the factory/workers assembling Gotway wheels, and in theory could happen to any new Gotway wheel until they fix it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Topkek So your board has been replaced? Hope it's working back for you if so.

I also purchased the Tesla v2 today at Rockwheel store. I'm a bit scary while reading this :unsure:. It's my first wheel i'm coming from esk8.

-- off topic --

Did you get your tesla v2 with red or silver speakers? Is there a difference between the two models ?! Differents lots?!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Thomas Champagne said:

Topkek So your board has been replaced? Hope it's working back for you if so.

I also purchased the Tesla v2 today at Rockwheel store. I'm a bit scary while reading this :unsure:. It's my first wheel i'm coming from esk8.

-- off topic --

Did you get your tesla v2 with red or silver speakers? Is there a difference between the two models ?! Differents lots?!

Mine are silver speakers.  What colour are yours?

Yes I replaced the board.  As you can see above no hot glue issue, no burned mosfets.