Need Real Life Battery/Distance Reviews

MetricUSA

Just now, Cloud said:

One day I will summon my remaining will power ( and wheel power) and go real slow with no fiona apple singing from between my  legs. We shall see...

Better yet bring a pack of apples and oranges when you travel and snack your way through. This will help you feel full when lunch time comes.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Better yet bring a pack of apples and oranges when you travel and snack your way through. This will help you feel full when lunch time comes.

Lol yes i know i am a fat son of a gun, but actually the weight loss program i am on right now teaches that snacking leads to gaining. No snacking for me any more :) 

im doing pretty good so far, lost 5% of my body weight in 15 days :) 

I get the following values:

Weight: Me 100 Kg + 10 KG wheel --> overall weight = 110 KG

Model: IPS Zero

Motor: 800 Watt

Battery: 240 Wh

Official range: 30 km

Actual range 14 Km (with several rests to the end of battery)

I calculated an average consumption of 15,5 Wh/Km for me.

Remarks:

Bluetooth off, Lightmode set to 'Meteor' (fancy light's)

Estimated speed about 12 to 16 Km/h. Temperature about 8 Grad Celsius.

Last 4 to 5 Km remarkably slow ( ~ 4 - 6 Km/h) due to tilt-back and limited speed of wheel due to weak battery level.

34 minutes ago, viti said:

Last 4 to 5 Km remarkably slow ( ~ 4 - 6 Km/h) due to tilt-back and limited speed of wheel due to weak battery level.

It's nice to know the actual reaction of your IPS Zero on low battery levels. It reassures that face planting is not imminent. Thanks!

Another thing you have to consider on battery life is Air temperature (lower will drain the battery a little more) and also Tire PSI (lower creates more drag on the tire thus lowering battery life). With that said..... here's one ride with a Ninebot I did.

Weight: 170 lbs

Model: Ninebot One E+

Battery:  320 Wh

Official range: 20 miles

Actual range:  10 miles

On top of all of this, when I hit 7 miles, performance of the ninebot one e+ dropped significantly to the point I couldn't go faster than 10 mph.

This is why now I only get wheels with batteries larger than 600 Wh. 

18 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

Another thing you have to consider on battery life is Air temperature (lower will drain the battery a little more) and also Tire PSI (lower creates more drag on the tire thus lowering battery life). With that said..... here's one ride with a Ninebot I did.

Weight: 170 lbs

Model: Ninebot One E+

Battery:  320 Wh

Official range: 20 miles

Actual range:  10 miles

On top of all of this, when I hit 7 miles, performance of the ninebot one e+ dropped significantly to the point I couldn't go faster than 10 mph.

This is why now I only get wheels with batteries larger than 600 Wh. 

Finally someone who gets worse range stats than me :) i am so happy now :) 

Hi all, just discovered this forum while searching for electric unicycle range. Nice to see that we have a forum for electric unicyclists around the world to share their experiences.

I'm from singapore and I have been riding an airwheel x8 since late 2014. Here's my range with the x8 after a year of usage(almost daily 4 - 8km commutes).

Weight : 75kg

Official capacity : 170Wh

Measured capacity : ~130Wh

Actual max range : ~12km

I just switched out the battery pack with new Samsung INR18650 30Q cells. Hopefully they will really deliver 3Ah and bring my range to ~16km.

Weight: 70 Kg

Model: Generic

Motor: I don’t know, maybe 350 Watt

Battery: 132 Wh Samsung

Official range: 30 km….. :o

Actual range: 7 km max at average speed 7-8 km/h

Remarks: this unit is 2 months old, measured many times mostly in parks with short breaks and temperature around 10 Celsius. I have not noticed performance decrease up to the tiltback.

2 hours ago, DS said:

Weight: 70 Kg

Model: Generic

Motor: I don’t know, maybe 350 Watt

Battery: 132 Wh Samsung

Official range: 30 km….. :o

Actual range: 7 km max at average speed 7-8 km/h

Remarks: this unit is 2 months old, measured many times mostly in parks with short breaks and temperature around 10 Celsius. I have not noticed performance decrease up to the tiltback.

Seems like actual battery capacity is lower than advertised. Or maybe the lower temps gave you lower capacity.

If only the chinese sellers could put a more realistic range on their marketing material. I recently helped a friend of mine to replace his airwheel battery pack with one that claimed a 170Wh capacity, but ended up only being able to put in 120Wh (measured with a meter). Ripped the heatshrink plastic off expecting to find inferior cells but they appear to be legit panasonic cells. Wonder if they were fakes or reject cells.

Just tested my new pack today on a 8.5km ride, still had 3/4 LEDs remaining on the battery indicator. The new cells seem promising.

@Colin

Here is the pic of my battery pack, what is inside I don't dare to see :o

But I think my range with 132 Wh is quite normal, I've seen other guys stated similar numbers.

The declared official range is just marketing bait.

20151208_224307.jpg

Just went for a long ride to test the range of the new Samsung battery cells. I'm amazed I got 21km out of this 170Wh pack. Mostly flat pavement, a few climbs here and there. Pumping the tires rock hard seemed to help with the range too.

4 hours ago, Colin said:

Just went for a long ride to test the range of the new Samsung battery cells. I'm amazed I got 21km out of this 170Wh pack. Mostly flat pavement, a few climbs here and there. Pumping the tires rock hard seemed to help with the range too.

21 km on 170 wh?? Wow. You sure cant complain about that! i want to have whatever you are riding!

battery experts, how is this possible? I am 35% heavier than @Colin by my distance stats (km/wh) are 2.5 times worse than his. Maybe i should go for an airwheel with samsung cells!

1 hour ago, Cloud said:

21 km on 170 wh?? Wow. You sure cant complain about that! i want to have whatever you are riding!

battery experts, how is this possible? I am 35% heavier than @Colin by my distance stats (km/wh) are 2.5 times worse than his. Maybe i should go for an airwheel with samsung cells!

That is the max range I've gotten on the SoloWheel Xtreme, which also is somewhere between 160-200wh (sticker on euc says 160).

And btw, SW is known to be conservative with battery, not letting you ride anymore when batt is low while still keeping a big reserve that can't be touched.

1 hour ago, edwin_rm said:

That is the max range I've gotten on the SoloWheel Xtreme, which also is somewhere between 160-200wh (sticker on euc says 160).

And btw, SW is known to be conservative with battery, not letting you ride anymore when batt is low while still keeping a big reserve that can't be touched.

Nice. So powerful and so economical. If i could deal with its slow speed, id be all over it...or maybe not...too expnsive after all

6 hours ago, Cloud said:

I think most battery packs are overrated or have lousy cells in them.

Just ripped out the original battery pack from my x8. The battery label says "18650 NC1" which upon googling returned sony cells. Tearing the yellow shrink wrap apart I found panasonic "NCR18650PF" cells instead. Looking at datasheets they appear to have similar specs (2900mAh) so I think Airwheel substituted the sony cells with panasonic ones. If anyone is interested here are the links to the resources I found.

Sony 18650-NC1

Panasonic NCR18650PF

Closer look at the panasonic datasheet gave me a capacity of about 2800mAh. So I should have about 165Wh new.

If that is true, I could have ridden close to 20km on a single charge when I just got my x8 new. I estimate that over the past 14 months the cells have degraded to under 2500mAh.

When the battery analyzer arrives, I'm going to test the capacity of the cells I currently own and see which cells are overrated.

As of now I have about 8Wh/km on the new samsung cells.

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

34 minutes ago, Colin said:

Just ripped out the original battery pack from my x8. The battery label says "18650 NC1" which upon googling returned sony cells. Tearing the yellow shrink wrap apart I found panasonic "NCR18650PF" cells instead. Looking at datasheets they appear to have similar specs (2900mAh) so I think Airwheel substituted the sony cells with panasonic ones. If anyone is interested here are the links to the resources I found.

Sony 18650-NC1

Panasonic NCR18650PF

Closer look at the panasonic datasheet gave me a capacity of about 2800mAh. So I should have about 165Wh new.

If that is true, I could have ridden close to 20km on a single charge when I just got my x8 new. I estimate that over the past 14 months the cells have degraded to under 2500mAh.

When the battery analyzer arrives, I'm going to test the capacity of the cells I currently own and see which cells are overrated.

IMG_1747.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

Do you think this samsung pack would work with other euc brands? Do they make higher capacity packs? Can you recommend a place to buy? Thanks

8 hours ago, Cloud said:

If you ride below18km/h, you will see that you will gain much more mileage. Riding the EUC too fast draws much more current than normal thus draining the battery faster.

9 hours ago, Cloud said:

Do you think this samsung pack would work with other euc brands? Do they make higher capacity packs? Can you recommend a place to buy? Thanks

There's not a trustworthy and economically priced source that I know of. This is why I replaced the cells in my battery pack manually. Can't trust any battery pack out there.

As long as the battery pack specs meet the EUC's power requirements and dimensions you should be fine. There's a timelapse video on youtube of somebody modding his airwheel to fit a double capacity battery pack. Not sure where he got his pack from.

9 hours ago, SlowMo said:

If you ride below18km/h, you will see that you will gain much more mileage. Riding the EUC too fast draws much more current than normal thus draining the battery faster.

Good point, I can't go any faster than 15km/h without straining my calves on the airwheel.

14 hours ago, Colin said:

Sony 18650-NC1

Panasonic NCR18650PF

I found those Panasonic NCR18650PF batteries to be the ones that came in my Gotway MCM2S 340wh.

Weight: 100 kg (me) + 15 kg (wheel)
Model: IPS T350+ (121+)
Motor: 1000 W
Battery: 350 Wh
Official range: 35 km
Actual range: at least 25 km

I recently unlocked the 30 km/h mode on this wheel and riding faster seems to drain the battery somewhat faster but not crazy fast. Headwinds hurt, and they also reduce the speed I can get before tiltback.

IPS claims the wheel can do 30% inclines...it definitely can, but it sure can't do them for very long! Battery voltage drops quite significantly -- but I am a big dude, as they say! :lol: Gentler inclines are no problem though.

1 hour ago, jd said:

Weight: 100 kg (me) + 15 kg (wheel)
Model: IPS T350+ (121+)
Motor: 1000 W
Battery: 350 Wh
Official range: 35 km
Actual range: at least 25 km

I recently unlocked the 30 km/h mode on this wheel and riding faster seems to drain the battery somewhat faster but not crazy fast. Headwinds hurt, and they also reduce the speed I can get before tiltback.

IPS claims the wheel can do 30% inclines...it definitely can, but it sure can't do them for very long! Battery voltage drops quite significantly -- but I am a big dude, as they say! :lol: Gentler inclines are no problem though.

What's your average speed?

On February 12, 2016 at 11:48 PM, SlowMo said:

What's your average speed?

Probably around 20 kph average? Longer stretches of 25, shorter stretches of 10-15.

Archived