Need Real Life Battery/Distance Reviews

MetricUSA

I realize there is only a hundred versions and user weights but what are your real life experiences on the distances with the battery/model you are getting??? I believe the companies are overstating what units can do for real!

I (72 kg) bought a AirWheel Q3 (800 w motor) w/340 wh battery... They claim it should get 25-40 km (that's 15-25 miles for you sad Americans) but..... I only get 10 mi (sorry, not 8 km, stupid two measurement system country!), on flat land.... Big Disappointment.

State your mass, model, battery, claim distance, Real Distance. Needless to say, it should be based on mainly flat terrain for better comparison.

Holy Crap update--- I talked to sellers, they say the only way, beside tear apart, is by weight, to know what battery I have. Q3 comes in 4 different batteries, mine should weigh (340wh) 31.5 lb, (170wh) 30 lb, mine actually weighed in at 26.5 Pounds!!!!

BS update--- now seller claims my unit was 'early' unit made up of 'lighter' material, but will refund the extra $200 if kept... The bs just gets higher and higher.... And they said the upper limit of 40 miles is only theoretical. Really??? Why state something that will never happen? And I should go 5 mph.... How? There is no gauge to see how fast I am doing....and why buy an e-unicycle if I can walk that fast...

Wonder if the 'lighter material' was a freakn battery!!!

Update I took the money and rode off! And still have a sad little eu... Lesson learned... Not airwheelunicycle.com sellers fault, totally, I blame scrupulous Chinese business practices, sadly seller is repeating blasphemous rhetoric...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize there is only a hundred versions and user weights but what are your real life experiences on the distances with the battery/model you are getting??? I believe the companies are overstating what units can do for real!

I (72 kg) bought a AirWheel Q3 w/340 wh battery... They claim it should get 25-40 km (that's 15-25 miles for you sad Americans) but..... I only get 8 km.... Big Disappointment.

State your mass, model, battery, claim distance, Real Distance

Only 8???Too short,~~~

Weight: 85 Kg

Model: TG-T3

Motor Power: 350W

Battery: 132Wh

Claim: 15-18km

Actual: 7-8km

Some notes:

• I get this range pretty consistently. My average speed over most trips (as measured by phone app) is around 10.5 km/h (Just under the EU max of about 12km/h).
  • I usually charge my EU for at least another 30mins after the charger LED turns green. This seems to trickle another few % of charge into the battery as confirmed by measuring resting voltage of battery immediately after LED goes green and some time after it goes green having left the charger on.
  • I've also measured how much energy (kWh) actually goes into the battery during charging using a watthour-meter and from a full discharge (i.e. EU beeping) to a (really) full charge about 120kWh is consumed from the mains. Factoring in charger losses (fan, efficiency etc), I estimate about 100kWh is going into the battery and therefore that is the actual consumption of the EU over a single charge/ride. (i.e 100kWh/7.5km = 13.3kWh/km)

I (72 kg) bought a AirWheel Q3 w/340 wh battery... They claim it should get 25-40 km (that's 15-25 miles for you sad Americans) but..... I only get 8 km.... Big Disappointment.

Even beyond overstated ranges by airwheel I believe that for your weight and rated battery capacity you are getting terrible range that is unacceptable. Unless you are riding up a hill constantly, with a real 340wh battery, I think you should be able to get at least 12-14kms (minimum) . Check with others that have a q3-340kwh EU and if their pefromance is vastly different from yours (which I expect it would be) then go back to your supplier - something is not right.

Weight 95Kg

IPS 132

Motor 1300W

260wh battery

Claimed range 15-17 miles

Real life experience 9-10 miles

To be fair if it wasn't for the fact that every journey I do seems to end in a steep hill I'm sure they would go a lot farther, but as the voltage gets lower so does the power so my advise is to always oversize your battery as much as possible because the power of the motor is all that is keeping you from falling flat on your face!

Check with others that have a q3-340kwh EU and if their pefromance is vastly different from yours (which I expect it would be) then go back to your supplier - something is not right.

How am supposed to do that? I maybe the only one in my state to have one, LOL, besides that is what this forum is for....

I have contact the Canadian sellers to see what to do, they said to return it, but that means no eu to use. Anyways, as of this post I still would like to see real ranges... Thanks for your consern...

Weight: 70 Kg

Model: Solowheel

Motor: 1500 Watt

Battery: 132 Wh Li-Fe

Official range: 16 km

Actual range 11 to 14 km max.

Remarks:

Please note than if you let a fully charged EU unplugged for a day, battery capacity has already diminished.

Also, if the EU is switched on and you are just standing around on it, the battery will be run down. So, if you stop for a traffic light, or if you are talking for 10 minute to someone who asked you about your Solowheel (happens often), it will diminish your range.

Ok, I have two wheels, but I'll mention first my Rockwheel because some of my experiences with that one might be relevant. All units are in metric except for tire pressure 

Rockwheel GP12 118 wh   (not to be confused with the gr12 which is a geared rockwheel. this is a non geared 12 inch)

My weight: 82kg

motor 350w

Claimed range: 13-15km

Actual range: well, with it cold outside(5 degrees C), and before I thought to check my tire pressure, I got 4km over FLAT GROUND and the battery was totally drained, beeping and everything. but my tire was way under inflated.  I hadn't checked the pressure or anything so I don't know the tire pressure but it was low enough there was noticeable give pushing on it with my hand.   I then inflated the tire to 50 PSI and during this time it warmed up to 12 degrees C.  This time I took it for 7 km over hilly terrain, took it up a steep hill on a trail that led up to the top of a dam. a climb so steep the rockwheel could not handle it, and I had to walk the last 50 feet. with a nice 2 km stretch over several smaller hills next to the reservoir...  still a little over 7km total distance...

...and still had 2 LEDs lit on my battery life.

Charging was consistently until the trickle charge started then I pulled it off. so same charging style both times.   So proper tire inflation and a few degrees difference temp well over doubled the range...  not exactly a small difference there. My gotway arrived right after that and I have been sidetracked with using my gotway instead of my rockwheel and have not pushed it to it's limit.

Next wheel. Gotway 14 340wh (same battery capacity as stated by you on your airwheel)

My weight 82 km

motor 500w

claimed range 35km

Actual range:  unknown.  Yesterday I drove it on a full battery 9.6km of flat ground and was still at 70% power as measured by the gotway app.   so I would estimate that a 35km range is plausible. it would depend on when it shuts down on low battery.  temp outside was 18 degrees c (65 f)

Wt 80kg

airwhewl x3

400 watt

132wh battery

real range - some mild hillsX2 - at 4C I got 5-6 km. at 15C I got around 8 km.

Temperature has a significant impact on range.

Got an external 156wh battery - extended range to 15-16 km and still didnt hit the bottom although I added 2 much steeper and longer hills on my trail. Honestly I dont see myself riding more than 15 km at one time, my soles start hurting after that distance. Sticking the 1kg external battery requires slight balance adjustments, doesnt really affect feet position as I used it on the non-dominant foot side.

I only get 8 mi (sorry, not 8 km, stupid two measurement system country!)

:) Ok in that case 8miles is a little more reasonable than 8kms. I would still say you should maybe expect to get a little more than that for that rated battery capacity.

Did a GPS circuit run on the Ninebot E and IPS132, there's a bit of elevation gain, adding an accumulated 200ft climbing to the test.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ElectricUnicycle/permalink/737314199699879/ 

- Ninebot E =  10.51 miles

- IPS132 = 12.57 miles

All vendors exaggerate range claims to some extent, but Airwheel seem to stretch their claims considerably more than others.  

All vendors exaggerate range claims to some extent, but Airwheel seem to stretch their claims considerably more than others.

Does not make it right, and extremely bad business, something needs to be done, need to stand up to them! China is the worst of the worst... I will not accept the BS

Did the reseller represent the unit he sold to you as a 340Wh variant? I agree, it's pretty piss poor they can't identify the version based on the serial number or a sticker. As you've found out, the Q3 doesn't have many redeeming features: it's slow, very heavy, bulky, & has terrible range even on a nominal 340Wh unit.  

It's a good suggestion to give details about battery and motor etc when talking about our Eus. I would suggest adding Temperature also to the standard list. Obviously I get more mileage in Texas than in Norway, for the same given wheel.. Just my 2 cents. 

Yea, pretty dumb posting just freezing temperatures, but showing the differences would help.

I hope more will post, I am glad to see others are getting more range on a smaller battery then my Q3....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Mass: 70kg

Make/model: Airwheel X3 (130Wh)

Stated range: 15 km

Actual range: 10.84 km

Actual Temperature: 30 Celcius

Average speed: 11.9 km/h 

Terrain: Mostly flat in the park  

Note: This X3 is five months old. It was fully charged the previous night before the above test.

@Chuts @batteryworm you are getting amazing distances out of your batteries. Amazing.  26km on 260wh?? On an incline at 88kg? I am 100kg and was getting 32 km on 680wh on flat ground.

How is this possible? If these are objective results, i am buying an IPS or airwheel  tomorrow.

Have you tried other wheels? Consistent results or not? 

@MetricUSA your range woukd be consistent with a 170wh battery ( not 340) considering that your wheel is much lighter than its supposed to be, maybe thats what they sent you? I know hiw much this can suck. 

But since you got a $200 refund, maybe you can use it to buy a 340wh battery or maybe there is room to put an additional 170 wh or so battery in the wheel? Having a short range is no fun :(

Yesterday we rode for a total of 19 km. The wind was so cold that it's making my feet numb. At the end of the journey, both our MCM4s and MCM2s still have 50% juice remaining. Riders are 65 and 55 kgs. Our Kahuna 260wh, with a rider weight of 38kgs, managed to survive the trip and was still blinking at 1 beep per second. The IPS Zero which started at 85% charge and traveled without fancy lights ended with 24% battery remaining with a rider weight of 45 kgs. Here's a souvenir taken from the trip yesterday.

1zgrlle.jpg

3 hours ago, Cloud said:

@Chuts @batteryworm you are getting amazing distances out of your batteries. Amazing.  26km on 260wh?? On an incline at 88kg? I am 100kg and was getting 32 km on 680wh on flat ground.

How is this possible? If these are objective results, i am buying an IPS or airwheel  tomorrow.

Have you tried other wheels? Consistent results or not? 

I've got fatter since then so results have changed.  Same route I can do about 22km.  A big factor is the speed you go too.  I have one of the older IPS T260 and I'm limited to 19.9kph. So if you are riding anything higher than your EUs normal cruising speed you do a lot of drain.  I would say cruising speed would be about 5 kph slower than when your pedals start to tilt you back.  Assuming you have not changed it from factory settings like a few newer EUs have started to allow you to do.

As too if you have the bluetooth on your EU enabled.  That's if you have an EU with that function.  Again my aged EU doesn't have blue tooth so I'm saving battery power that way.

Finally make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended stated amount to avoid surface friction.  As with cars with low tire pressure uses more fuel, EUs use more battery power.

2 hours ago, Chuts said:

I've got fatter since then so results have changed.  Same route I can do about 22km.  A big factor is the speed you go too.  I have one of the older IPS T260 and I'm limited to 19.9kph. So if you are riding anything higher than your EUs normal cruising speed you do a lot of drain.  I would say cruising speed would be about 5 kph slower than when your pedals start to tilt you back.  Assuming you have not changed it from factory settings like a few newer EUs have started to allow you to do.

As too if you have the bluetooth on your EU enabled.  That's if you have an EU with that function.  Again my aged EU doesn't have blue tooth so I'm saving battery power that way.

Finally make sure your tires are inflated to the recommended stated amount to avoid surface friction.  As with cars with low tire pressure uses more fuel, EUs use more battery power.

Yes i agree with everything you said, especially the speed. My tire pressure is high, and yes bluetooth is often on but i just dont find the effect of it so big on the distance. Regardless of whether my stats are normal or not, i think what you were getting is still amazing compared to what ive heard from others. 

5 hours ago, SlowMo said:

Yesterday we rode for a total of 19 km. The wind was so cold that it's making my feet numb. At the end of the journey, both our MCM4s and MCM2s still have 50% juice remaining. Riders are 65 and 55 kgs. Our Kahuna 260wh, with a rider weight of 38kgs, managed to survive the trip and was still blinking at 1 beep per second. The IPS Zero which started at 85% charge and traveled without fancy lights ended with 24% battery remaining with a rider weight of 45 kgs. Here's a souvenir taken from the trip yesterday.

1zgrlle.jpg

@SlowMo very nice photo, beautiful

how do you determine the % of battery remainig? Does the app show the exact percentage or you just aporoximate from the battery indicator? Also, if are saying 50% was remaining - does the wheel allow you to go to 0% or it stops at a certain percentage?

Overall your distance resukts are consistently about 20% better than mine ( proportionate to the weight difference and battery capacities) which is probably due to your going very slow, no music, no lights. Also if your battery doesnt let you go to zero, then we are getting even closer.  So when you post your range, i dont feel so bad about myself :) 

28 minutes ago, Cloud said:

@SlowMo very nice photo, beautiful

how do you determine the % of battery remainig? Does the app show the exact percentage or you just aporoximate from the battery indicator? Also, if are saying 50% was remaining - does the wheel allow you to go to 0% or it stops at a certain percentage?

Overall your distance resukts are consistently about 20% better than mine ( proportionate to the weight difference and battery capacities) which is probably due to your going very slow, no music, no lights. Also if your battery doesnt let you go to zero, then we are getting even closer.  So when you post your range, i dont feel so bad about myself :) 

Yes man, the Gotways and IPS Zero shows the percentages. I am a tough competitor of "How slow can you go" and that contributes significantly to the battery savings. :P

2 minutes ago, SlowMo said:

Yes man, the Gotways and IPS Zero shows the percentages. I am a tough competitor of "How slow can you go" and that contributes significantly to the battery savings. :P

One day I will summon my remaining will power ( and wheel power) and go real slow with no fiona apple singing from between my  legs. We shall see...

Archived