Cracked Shell

lqwertyd

Hey Y'all--

Newbie here and I'm hoping I might be able to get some feedback. I just picked up a brand new Solowheel 3 (I actually ordered a V8, but they sent a Solowheel). Stepped on, and then stepped off. The thing tipped over (not hard) and the shell cracked immediately creating a large stalagmite like wedge sticking straight out of the unit. I was shocked. Everyone talks about how sturdy these things are (my other one has taken a beating).

Has anyone had similar experiences? Also, any experience with customer support from Solowheel?

Thanks!

IMG_7899.JPG

• Upvote 1

Mine cracked on day 5. I had the protective cover and some padding on at the time. I bought a new side panel from ewheels. I padded it more when I put on the new panel. I've done another 5 days since and so far so good.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, lqwertyd said:

Hey Y'all--

Newbie here and I'm hoping I might be able to get some feedback. I just picked up a brand new Solowheel 3 (I actually ordered a V8, but they sent a Solowheel). Stepped on, and then stepped off. The thing tipped over (not hard) and the shell cracked immediately creating a large stalagmite like wedge sticking straight out of the unit. I was shocked. Everyone talks about how sturdy these things are (my other one has taken a beating).

Has anyone had similar experiences? Also, any experience with customer support from Solowheel?

Thanks!

IMG_7899.JPG

Well that blows.  That should definitely not have happened in a fall like you described.  Do you, for warranty purposes, have video of the event?  

You next course of action is to contact them, tell them what happened and ask them what they are prepared to do about it.  A screen shot of the App showing total miles will help a bit, but that doesn't prove that you didn't throw it off a building for instance (which adds no miles).

My King Songs have been through a lot worse than that, and while some of the screws don't screw into anything anymore, they are still functional and essentially unbroken.

• Upvote 1

Usually the shells can take quite a beating without cracking, if something breaks, it's the "stands" for screws, if there are such. Or if cracks develop, they're not usually anywhere that long and near the sharp edges, at least from what I've seen. I wonder what material Inmotion/Solowheel uses, I don't know much about plastics, but most wheels seem they're something like ABS, which (by my experience) usually bends rather than breaks, up to a point...

Edited by esaj
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear about that crack. Being the anxious person that I am I would have taken it quite badly.
This is the first time i've read of a solowheel or glide 3 cracking like that.

Like others have suggested you should contact the vendor. You have used the wheel as intended and definitely not in an extreme way.

Let us know how it goes! 

Makes me want to pad mine up more.  I bought the cover for mine after dropping mine once on a low-speed tip over while learning to ride. it just scuffed it up. I haven't had any harder or higher speed drops yet, with or without the cover on.

I asked on here since noticing a lot of people on here add padding, and they use something similar to this for extra protection:  KOOLDOO 15.7ft Multi-Purpose Extra Wide Edge and Corner Guard Sharp Edges Coverage Child Safety Proofing (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQT344B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_uCQLCb27NNY8C

Not pretty but looks like it would work well for protection.

Edited by Blueblade

On 3/22/2019 at 9:23 PM, esaj said:

Usually the shells can take quite a beating without cracking, if something breaks, it's the "stands" for screws, if there are such. Or if cracks develop, they're not usually anywhere that long and near the sharp edges, at least from what I've seen. I wonder what material Inmotion/Solowheel uses, I don't know much about plastics, but most wheels seem they're something like ABS, which (by my experience) usually bends rather than breaks, up to a point...

I though most shells were made with PC?

• Upvote 1

I don't know the term but with skillful applying aceton you can temporary soften the plastic and when it "dries up" the plastiv will have glued or welded bavk together. This workd on Inmotion V8, as for other brand / models I do not know.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I don't know the term but with skillful applying aceton you can temporary soften the plastic and when it "dries up" the plastiv will have glued or welded bavk together. This workd on Inmotion V8, as for other brand / models I do not know.

"plastic welding" If this particular plastic responds to that solvent.  It's a good method.  Best applied via hyperdermic needle, from the inside surface of the shell, to get into the crack via capillary action, without smearing all over the surface (not such a big deal if applying on the inside surface - unseen in normal use)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's a good trick to know, @Smoother.

I wonder if how well E6000 glue would work too, even if to just reinforce the back side of the crack with a thin layer after repairing in the manner you describe.  This stuff seems to work really well for RC applications, like to repair/reinforce lexan bodies, and some of the non structural parts like plastic bumpers etc.  It adheres well, and more importantly it is somewhat flexible, so joints tend to bend rather than rebreak when stressed/impacted. It comes in both black and clear too.

I was aware of using acetone for welding plastics, I've fixed my Firewheel shells with that in the past, was just wondering whether InMotion/Solowheel use some other material than most wheels, as usually it takes quite a violent crash to crack the shells, not just falling over. My FW shutdown on me on a downhill, due to BMSs cutting power on overcharge (wrong type of BMSs), it went tumbling over downhill for a good 10-20 meters gaining speed before hitting a cornerstone and flying into some bushes. The outside of the shell itself didn't crack, but some plastic "studs", to which the screws connect inside the shell, broke.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, Blueblade said:

That's a good trick to know, @Smoother.

I wonder if how well E6000 glue would work too, even if to just reinforce the back side of the crack with a thin layer after repairing in the manner you describe.  This stuff seems to work really well for RC applications, like to repair/reinforce lexan bodies, and some of the non structural parts like plastic bumpers etc.  It adheres well, and more importantly it is somewhat flexible, so joints tend to bend rather than rebreak when stressed/impacted. It comes in both black and clear too.

Yep, the back side is fair game for any reinforcement that works, as long as it doesn't take up room that something else is using.  The problem still remains of the egg shell like consistency of this particular shell.  How often can one patch it up before it becomes more patch than shell? 

PS OP hasn't visited since Friday PM (as of) so we're just talking amongst ourselves....AGAIN!

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1

It should be noted thought that the crack is in the shell side cover which is not a structural part of the shell itself. These covers are somewhat transparent (the LED light show is behind them) and they are ridiculously fragile, but I don't think the same can be said for the shell itself. I assume that padding the exposed parts of the cover also has a preventive effect, as I have never seen such a long crack on mine and I have beaten it up pretty badly.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

I was just coming to this forum area to post about my shells cracking. I have had two minor mishaps at about 5 Mph each and each time the top portion of a side cracked like I dropped it from a step ladder. Thats with the protective case on it  

I posted about that in a comment on another thread and someone said they have seem a lot of chatter on here about Solowheel Glide 3 starting to have shell cracking issues. 

After a suggestion I emailed Jason at ewheels and he had not heard of any known quality issues and thinks they should be holding up very well. I was thinking about buying the replacements he sells but maybe I should reach out to inmotion as well. 

@lqwertyd any news yet back from them? 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, prasket said:

I should reach out to inmotion as well. 

I would. Don't ask, don't get.  This sounds like an ongoing problem and not an isolated incident.  You "crack heads" should pool your evidence and work together.

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2019 at 4:14 AM, Smoother said:

Don't ask, don't get.

Ha I do not know how many times I tell my partner that. :D OK so I did just submit a service ticket. I also took quite a few pictures which I sent them and can be found here:

https://imgur.com/a/xZWp8cb

I agree that there seems to be something going on with them, at least from what others have said about past experiences.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, prasket said:

Ha I do not know how many times I tell my partner that. :D OK so I did just submit a service ticket. I also took quite a few pictures which I sent them and can be found here:

https://imgur.com/a/xZWp8cb

I agree that there seems to be something going on with them, at least from what others have said about past experiences.

@esaj once reported on a book reporting extraordinarily stupid business practices in China, like switching key components for slightly cheaper ones for their foreign customers, saving a few thousand dollars up front,  but eventually scuttling a multimillion dollar deal, etc.  It sounds entirely possible that someone at the shell manufacturing plant is substituting a 2c per kg cheaper plastic for the specified plastic. Not all plastics have the same properties, obviously.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Smoother said:

@esaj once reported on a book reporting extraordinarily stupid business practices in China, like switching key components for slightly cheaper ones for their foreign customers, saving a few thousand dollars up front,  but eventually scuttling a multimillion dollar deal, etc.  It sounds entirely possible that someone at the shell manufacturing plant is substituting a 2c per kg cheaper plastic for the specified plastic. Not all plastics have the same properties, obviously.

The book's called "Poorly made in China", not a long one (less than 300 pages, IIRC), and actually very entertaining, although the topic might not sound like it at first.

• Like 1

Quick update: I haven't heard anything back from Inmotion. I've reached out through their web site, Amazon and elsewhere. Amazon finally reached out to InMotion and cc'd me on the email. I guess InMotion still didn't respond,  so Amazon simply refunded the entire purchase . . . which quite frankly shocked me a little. 

I'm purchasing a Kingsong 16S from eWheels instead. They were extremely helpful and friendly. 

I'm disappointed to be having such problems with InMotion. I guess I'll be a Kingsong rider instead. 

Edited by lqwertyd
  • Upvote 1

On 4/3/2019 at 9:33 PM, lqwertyd said:

Quick update: I haven't heard anything back from Inmotion. I've reached out through their web site, Amazon and elsewhere. Amazon finally reached out to InMotion and cc'd me on the email. I guess InMotion still didn't respond,  so Amazon simply refunded the entire purchase . . . which quite frankly shocked me a little. 

I'm purchasing a Kingsong 16S from eWheels instead. They were extremely helpful and friendly. 

I'm disappointed to be having such problems with InMotion. I guess I'll be a Kingsong rider instead. 

Well that's a result and a half.  I don't remember you mentioning Amazon as the intermediary.  Do you get to keep the glide 3 too?

Amazon does good customer service, and shame on Inmotion for burying their head in the sand hoping you would go away.  I guess Amazon just schooled them, big time.

You will like the 16s; much better wheel than a glide 3 (but at a higher price obviously)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

You will like the 16s; much better wheel than a glide 3 (but at a higher price obviously)

I wish I would have made that my first wheel instead honestly. I've got the Glide 3 but I am a little heavy for it I think the 16s would have been just enough for the learning Etc

• Upvote 1