Orange KingSong App is dying?

FlyboyEUC

I got this message on my orange KS app. Does this mean it won't function anymore? Will the blue app only be supported? @US69 is the KS rep right? Do you know?

Edited by Flyboy10
  • Like 1

I'm just glad I finally unlocked the top speed on my 18XL. The app wouldn't let me for a long time. Had to get the speed code again. Now I never have to use kingsong's app again. Praise WheelLog!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

I'm just glad I finally unlocked the top speed on my 18XL. The app wouldn't let me for a long time. Had to get the speed code again. Now I never have to use kingsong's app again. Praise WheelLog!

Just to answer the first Question:

Only the new app will be able to support Firmware updates. To my Knowledge the old app will still be usable...

Actually what the new KS app is unique for, are it's abilities to update the Firmware, calibrate it's sensors and pedals, analyze the Wheel, throw failure Messages for all Kind of sensors, temperatures, on a detailed Wheel Parameter page, something other manufacters and apps miss at all!....

Also there are lots of statitics now and it is customizable. 

Once logged in (which was the main Problem) and in use i dont have any Problems with it....actually it works more stable than the old orange app….

But yeah... for showing the Speed and amperage wheellog does the better Job....totally agreed!

14 hours ago, Stein1922 said:

I had it and it didn’t work well for my KS 18xl

13 hours ago, Stein1922 said:

they suck

Sorry, that's actually really  helpful and constructive, isnt it?

Since releasing the new app both Phone Systems allready got updates for bug Fixing and receiving new languages. Next Version should Pop up around 20.March.

We were able to do this because of  helpful User-Feedback, so whoever wants to report some faults... i am happy to collect them.

Edited by US69
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

My personal take is that this drive towards Registration-for-Use model with all the permissions required is not a step in the right direction, all the manufacturers use the same s***y CN App developer.  

The registration process is also very messy, identified over a dozen issues in the registration process: SMS verification codes not work, defaults to China, country field drop-down is in Chinese, only gives 60 seconds to enter verification/password while the confirmation message says you have 5 minutes, keyboard obscures the 'Register' button & pressing enter does not submit form, other screen defaults back to phone login.  

We need to fund an independent App effort, as the message from Customers/Distributors doesn't seem to be getting across, we want an App that 1) doesn't require registration to access, or if it does, then it needs to work flawlessly, 2) use without signing away more permissions than are absolutely necessary, 3) stable, reliable, descriptions that reflect the actual function, 4) is not a resource hog, 5) App & FW downloads that are hosted outside the CN Great Wall.   

Well we're all doomed if YOU are begging US for this.  Usually it is the other way around; you being one of the few westerners that King Song actually recognizes exists.  If you and the rest of the hand full of influencers can't get them to see that there is a world past their border, then as I said, App wise at least, we're doomed.  As @Chriull said, My King Song is going to be on it's current firmware version for ever, because I aint touching that shite with a barge pole.  People have been writing good clean Apps for over 10 years, millions of them.  Can it really be this hard for KS to do it properly, or pay for it?

EDIT Amateurish would be an insult to amateurs.

Edited by Smoother
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Looking back in nostalgia, look at how clean & rational the first IM App was compared to what we have today. It's the same with all the manufacturer's, their first forays in App development were simple, compact, non-intrusive App that got the job done. Is adding on +60MB of social media bloat progress?  

App-Interface.jpg

Chinese consumers might be the ones demanding strong social medias features from KS. Normally a developer would use a Facebook API to pass the pictures, text, and location back and forth between the app, but I think Facebook is banned in China. There is WeChat, and presumably you could socialize your wheel to your WeChat account instead of building your own social media platform.

I do find it amazing that even with all that the amount of activity on the Inmotion social media app is mind-boggling.

Maybe some of our Chinese users could chime in.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For me, it's WheelLog all the way. I only install (and then uninstall) the KS app when I want to tweak certain wheel parameters, and when I do so, I disable WiFi and Mobile data--I just don't trust the app not to suddenly yield a registration error of some sort and revert my max. speed back to 20 km/h, with the nightmare it can involve to set things straight again. That's how little I trust KS's apps (every single version I've tried). And that shouldn't be how one feels about an app that goes with a $2K+ wheel (which is, in KS's case, essential to unlock the wheel after purchasing it).

I literally had no idea an app could be so disastrously buggy until I bought my first EUC...

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

So, what ever happened to the permission to make phone calls for the new app?  I have been living without the app because I do not want to grant such an uncalled for permission.  Now, it seems that most people here are using the new blue app, but I have not found a response to the question “why?”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yasbean said:

So, what ever happened to the permission to make phone calls for the new app?  I have been living without the app because I do not want to grant such an uncalled for permission.  Now, it seems that most people here are using the new blue app, but I have not found a response to the question “why?”

In my case, I've found that it doesn't have the massive battery drain the "orange" app had (even if I force closed it when not in use). It also has more lighting options, and the option to calibrate the trolley lift sensor. I don't really use the app, I only install when I want to change a setting I can't change with WheelLog, then uninstall it again.

But a word of caution: When I installed the newest app (Downloaded from KS's website on 3rd May), discrepancies between the development stage of the app and the wheel's firmware caused all sorts of strange behaviour with my wheel (18XL): lift sensor issues, gyroscope switching off at very small lateral inclination, wheel randomly beeping when not in motion, gyroscope switching off sometimes when mounting after stopping at a stop-light, the "Please decelerate" message suddenly being set (with no input from my part) to 31 km/h, with no way of changing it, etc. The only solution was to upgrade the wheel's firmware to 1.12, which I wasn't to keen on.

I don't know if this has happened to others, or mine is an isolated case, but upgrading to the newest app messed up a lot of thing with my wheel that I was only able to fix by upgrading the firmware. Perhaps others can confirm whether this has happened to them too. But worth taking into account before installing...

BTW, you should check out @Seba's version of WheelLog, it has tons of new additions, from voice messages while you're riding (reading out distance, speed, avg. speed, wheel temp., current, time in motion, etc., so you don't have to check your phone) to the possibility of recording live tours that you can share on the euc.world website. You can choose different privacy settings for your tours, take pictures along the way, which later show up on the map, see your route on the map (and choose from different maps), as well as graphs with speed, terrain profile, power, battery life (wheel and phone), wheel temperature, current and voltage along the entire tour. (Example here)

He's really done a fantastic job. There are currently only 63 users worldwide using it, but I'd love to see many more, especially because the site logs and displays the total mileage of all users, as well as the CO2 we save by riding our EUCs. :D

Screenshot-from-2019-05-10-14-27-17.png

Download link here

Edited by travsformation