My Z10 now sounds like an old dial up computer

Steef Klonoa

I have about 830 miles on my Z10 now. Rode it to work today and gave it a charge before getting back on. There is now a noticeable old computer sound to it, like it is dialing up the internet. When I disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth the sound changes, but it is still there. I have tried restarting my phone and restarting the Z10 but the sound hasn't gone away. I purchased it at eWheels back in October. @Jason McNeil have you run into this issue before? @Marty Backe curious to know if you've seen this before on one of your wheels. Could it be really strong internet interference, or is this unsafe to ride now? It seems to ride normal.

2 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

I have about 830 miles on my Z10 now. Rode it to work today and gave it a charge before getting back on. There is now a noticeable old computer sound to it, like it is dialing up the internet. When I disconnect and reconnect the bluetooth the sound changes, but it is still there. I have tried restarting my phone and restarting the Z10 but the sound hasn't gone away. I purchased it at eWheels back in October. @Jason McNeil have you run into this issue before? @Marty Backe curious to know if you've seen this before on one of your wheels. Could it be really strong internet interference, or is this unsafe to ride now? It seems to ride normal.

We really need to hear the sound. Based on your description, I have no idea. But if I heard it maybe I'd have something intelligent to say.

It does sound more normal now, maybe a quirk of the new firmware or something. What's funny is that it lasted a good portion of the day, all the way from work and then it still had a similar sound at home. There is still a "beep" every now and then.

7 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

OK, I've never heard anything like that from my wheel. Is there any chance that it was coming from the speaker and not the motor?

Does the sound go away when the tire rotates? EUCs in general make funny sounds when the electric current slowly changes from coil to coil in the (almost) stationary motor. The sound on the video reminds me of that. However, it does not explain why the sound is suddenly audible to you.

That's 2400 Baud.  You should ask Jason for an upgrade to 5600.

But seriously, it sounds (no pun intended) that something has let go on your mother board (rocket scientist, I know!) Swapping out one of the boards (I think the Z series has several boards inside) will be the most likely route.  Jason will advise, and Jason will act, and you will be made whole again. 

Personally I would worry about riding it, not knowing what has changed to create that noise.  The offending component could be on it's last legs, and when those let go, so might yours.

If you start hearing "The number you have dialed is not a working number. Please hang up and dial again" you have an entirely different problem.:)

4 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Marty Backe It could be coming from the speaker, but I can't really tell. @mrelwood the sound doesn't go away when the wheel spins. It's still audible like you hear in the video, just a bit fainter this morning.

Try playing some music through the speaker and see if this sound changes. Also, does the sound change as you move the wheel back and forth?

I hear essentially nothing from my wheel. The Z10 is one of the quietest wheels available.

53 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Try playing some music through the speaker and see if this sound changes. Also, does the sound change as you move the wheel back and forth?

I hear essentially nothing from my wheel. The Z10 is one of the quietest wheels available.

Trying the speakers is a good idea, I will check when I get home from work. The sound does change a bit while moving, but its still similar to what you can hear in the video. My friend has a Z10 so luckily we can compare and his has not made sound like this.

15 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Marty Backe the speakers don't seem to be effected at all. When I turned down my music the sound is still there.

Well, that is a bit disconcerting, because it indicates something has changed. Of course it's a judgement call as to whether it's important. If it were my Z10, I would continue riding but if I ever noticed any strange handling behavior, then I would stop.

@Marty Backe I went for a 15-20 mile run earlier and traded wheels with my friend for a bit. Both perform exactly the same. I'm thinking this might be an issue not related to essential functions. @houseofjob you've taken these apart, curious to know if you have any ideas on what would cause this? @EUCMania I think that would void my warranty.

1 hour ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@houseofjob you've taken these apart, curious to know if you have any ideas on what would cause this? @EUCMania I think that would void my warranty.

Hard to tell what's going on exactly without opening up the wheel.

I'm guessing a connector could have come loose, causing some kind of interference (?) But that's again just me guessing wIthout peeking under the hood.

If you do open, I will would try checking the Bluetooth and music speaker module connectors. 

How much abuse has the wheel seen? (specifically water) And this doesn't affect the ride, right?

10 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Hard to tell what's going on exactly without opening up the wheel.

I'm guessing a connector could have come loose, causing some kind of interference (?) But that's again just me guessing wIthout peeking under the hood.

If you do open, I will would try checking the Bluetooth and music speaker module connectors. 

How much abuse has the wheel seen? (specifically water) And this doesn't affect the ride, right?

The ride is not affected at all, I compared yesterday to my friend's Z10. I've been riding it through the New england winter here and will often commute 12 miles to work on it. I don't bring it out when it's raining, but its been out quite a few times when the ground is wet.

On 3/18/2019 at 6:00 AM, Steef Klonoa said:

The ride is not affected at all, I compared yesterday to my friend's Z10. I've been riding it through the New england winter here and will often commute 12 miles to work on it. I don't bring it out when it's raining, but its been out quite a few times when the ground is wet.

Gotta open it then I think, inspect the connectors.

• 1 month later...

If you can disconnect the speakers and the sound vanishes, it's probably the audio amp or speaker wires picking up interference from somewhere (could be the motor PWM frequency / sub-harmonic or serial data transfer somewhere on the PCBs/wiring). I don't know for sure, but I think the volume adjusting with Bluetooth only affects the transmitting end here, the audio amp would still be amplifying any interference it receives even when you turn the volume down on your phone.

@esaj thanks for the input! I'm assuming since it has 400 miles on it since the noise started, that this interference is not going to worsen or cause a board failure. I'm keeping a close eye on it and will send it in to ewheels at some point, it is still under warranty.

Archived