rear view mirror

Guest PogArt Artur
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

All of my helmet mounted mirrors are epoxied to the helmet. They've never come off even when I've gently whacked the mirror.

The one I'm using now has a very slight convex shape to the mirror. This is great because it picks up movement and draws my attention to the mirror without me having to look at it.

There is a fair amount of vibration in the mirror (can't tell if it's a Chevy or Ford). But all I care to know is if there's a vehicle or bicyclist approaching me. One of my most recent videos is of me cruising down a mountain road. I never had to turn my head or raise me arms yet I always knew if a car was approaching so that I could get out of the center of the road. It's very liberating.

You've caught my attention @Marty Backe :)

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

get the type that pops up like a compass and then swivels.  I have found that it can be easily viewed with the wrist still down , or mostly down by you side; so there's no need to push you fist out in front like Superman taking flight.

I tried the one on a nylon strap that velcros in one position and I didn't like it.

@Smoother, something like these? 

image.thumb.png.cb8cc4c51d2194319a58eb2b81ce818b.png

Guest PogArt Artur
5 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Or maybe one like this..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323400220644

Not keen on how it sticks out though. Be nice if they made the one with the velcro flap but still allowed left/right tilt on the mirror?

Yeah, I'm thinking of something like this one, or like the one,that @NylahTay posted...

I'm unsure which one might be better option.

Thank you for the links :)

2 hours ago, PogArt Artur said:

Yeah, I'm thinking of something like this one, or like the one,that @NylahTay posted...

I'm unsure which one might be better option.

Thank you for the links :)

This might work for you. But for me I got one and shortly I dropped using it. 

Main reason I could flap my arm or twist it to look around. 

I use my hand for signaling a lot where I want to go andy intention is in the traffic. The wrist mirrow took that away.

My helmet mounted mirrow works great if I  mount it right.

20190408_201629.thumb.jpg.488bab74052b02af9c99d59909eb554f.jpg20190408_201534.thumb.jpg.a2abc1ffcae505a585c1a3e29e69f250.jpg

I can detach the mirrow and mount either in open helmet mode or in full faceode (180 degree flipped around chinbar).

• Like 2

Guest PogArt Artur
8 hours ago, Unventor said:

This might work for you. But for me I got one and shortly I dropped using it. 

Main reason I could flap my arm or twist it to look around. 

I use my hand for signaling a lot where I want to go andy intention is in the traffic. The wrist mirrow took that away.

My helmet mounted mirrow works great if I  mount it right.

20190408_201629.thumb.jpg.488bab74052b02af9c99d59909eb554f.jpg20190408_201534.thumb.jpg.a2abc1ffcae505a585c1a3e29e69f250.jpg

I can detach the mirrow and mount either in open helmet mode or in full faceode (180 degree flipped around chinbar).

I do remember it @Unventor , and imagine, since then I haven't done anything yet, to try whether helmet or wrist mirror would be best for me :)

For now I'm after to try wrist mirror.

Then I'll see if I like it?

Could you send me the exact link to get the mirror you've mounted on the helmet please?

Thank you :)

I got it from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01E2IK104/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UZRWCb1X3SCDM

It is not avaliable right now/anymore 😞 

I seems to have misplaced the mirrow yesterday. I hope I find it when I get home tosay.

Edited by Unventor

1 hour ago, PogArt Artur said:

I hope you'll find it :)

Thanks for the link, I'll try to search for similar.

If you already have a wist mirrow try that out. You might not need a helmet mirrow. 

As I said I didn't like it the wrist mirrow. But there is no right solutions only. That is why I like the diversity of alternatives.

Guest PogArt Artur
3 hours ago, Unventor said:

If you already have a wist mirrow try that out. You might not need a helmet mirrow. 

As I said I didn't like it the wrist mirrow. But there is no right solutions only. That is why I like the diversity of alternatives.

Yes you right :)

I just got home, and I'm feeling a bit embarrassed...

I've started commuting for last few days, it's all very new to me, by commuting I'm frequently practicing turnings,gett8ng on/off the wheel, you know...

I'm still not perfect, and when I was about to get on,one of bus drivers suddenly appeared.

I thought he might go his way, but he's actually got interested in my wheel,he started asking questions, and gavd me his arm to help me get on the wheel!

It's distracted me in annoying way, I told him - would you follow me home to support me?

He said he wanted to help, but I said I need to get on on my own, otherwise who should I ask for help everytime I'm out for riding?

Instead of having nice conversation, it's disrupted me,and all way home I wasn't riding well, because of the situation at depot...

In the town rush hours, many people, cars, traffic...

And the rain ! :)

Lol :)

On 4/25/2019 at 9:29 PM, Planemo said:

Or maybe one like this..

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323400220644

Not keen on how it sticks out though. Be nice if they made the one with the velcro flap but still allowed left/right tilt on the mirror?

Yes. That one works well for me.  The sticking out part isn't really an issue. After all, you're only looking at it when you're looking at it.  Strap is a bit short for wrist guards so I just put it around the guard first, then put the guard on.  It stays there, so I never forget to wear it.  Of course, if not in use, just close the flap, and it looks like a large watch case.

Edited by Smoother

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Smoother said:

@NylahTay Yes, that is the one to avoid for EUC.  May work well on a bike but not EUC.

Thank you for your comment...

It's good to know the opinion, before purchase...

Guest PogArt Artur
6 hours ago, Smoother said:

Yes. That one works well for me.  The sticking out part isn't really an issue. After all, you're only looking at it when you're looking at it.  Strao is a bit short for wrist guards so I just put it around the guard first, then put the guard on.  It stays there, so I never forget to wear it.  Of course, if not in use, just close the flap, and it looks like a large watch case.

Thank you again @Smoother, thanks to you I know, which one works better for you, so it might works for me as well :)

Cheers.

• 2 years later...

Is there any alternative to mount a mirror on the very top of the EUC itself upfront? Some Velcro or magnet structure attached mirror or similar solution? I think that would be a perfect solution for me...A mirror on the helmet seems to allow control only over one side and wrist mirror won't give you instant control either...

You can install a mirror on both sides of the helmet. Especially the stubby ones should work well for that.

A small mirror down on the shaky wheel might not work very well. The position of your head varies a lot as you accelerate or brake. The mirror would have to be bowed to allow a large enough viewing range, but it would also make the view quite small.

Edited by mrelwood

At different times over the decades, I've had a mirror on my helmet or mirrors on the ends of racing-style bicycle dropped-handle bars.  I found both of these mounts required extra-delicate handling of the thing they were attached to:  put the helmet down wrong and mess up the mirror angle or break it; same for the bike, laying it down or into a stand, or walkers passing by.  I love having the mirror, and agree with the statements that they contribute greatly to situational awareness even when not consciously peering into them for inspection before signalling a turn/manoeuvre.  Of course a full-on shoulder check still happens before committing (with it's minor disturbance to balance), because a mirror still suffers from blind spots.  

When mountain biking, I'd rather not have a mirror at all.  No need whilst riding single-track at an average-or-better speed, not in any danger posed from things behind me.  And nicer to not have to be careful of their fragility.

The EUC, to me, is more similar to road riding where lack of awareness can be lethal.  It only has to happen once, in hundreds or thousands of outings, and it only takes a second.  The mirror, once it becomes second-nature, might be a life-saver.

The wrist-mounted options look interesting, will have to add this to my experiences.  Thanks for sharing purchase links - this saves time!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

If you are based in the UK you can get these rear view wrist mirrors

1. https://highendscooters.co.uk/product/bike-rear-view-mirror/

2. https://highendscooters.co.uk/product/wrist-rear-view-mirror/

Both are way under your €30 budget. 

Hope this helps 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...