Alexei/Alexander have written new 'NINEbattery' app - a 'MUST-HAVE'

Really thanks Alexei :clap3:

Now, hope next forthcoming app will be the NineFlash, the 1st and only Greatest app to Flash Custom or Official Firmwares back and forth in our Minis B) :dribble: :thumbup:

Edited by zugu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@MRN76

Can you advise, status 16 in the NineBatt app (as below). 

This is because cell 2 is out of balance, yes? At full charge there is a 0.07v difference, at half charge 0.04v. 

Interestingly the ninebot app shows battery status is normal.. How far out of balance is safe? 

This was after full charge and balancing on charger. SmartSelect_20181012-162902.thumb.jpg.e21a8a980e5c885bd9f0510fe983dd0a.jpgSmartSelect_20181015-194617_Segway-Ninebot.thumb.jpg.3fff3145e8662a66dc716c3f47500f6b.jpgSmartSelect_20181015-205747_Segway-Ninebot.thumb.jpg.3bacd168f1d0e4dfe64c8d48557c073f.jpgSmartSelect_20181011-211942.thumb.jpg.2e9d403aa8e0b4122db9f25502f18d28.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Alex_from_NZ said:

@MRN76

How far out of balance is safe?

The MiniPRO battery packs are configured as 15x2 cells, for a total of 30 cells. The cells used are either MG in the original MiniPRO battery pack or MF in the reduced power lower cost variant. Both are rated at a maximum continuous current delivery of 10 amps max. Two identical cells of each are selected at the factory, welded in parallel, then they are stitched into a series bank of 15 twin-cell 'cells'. If one of the individual cells goes fully faulty then the other cell will have to deliver all the peak motor current, which according to the Engineering blog, is normally 10-15 amps. This will give problems, so a single cell failure will degrade the current output of the whole battery pack.

The problem is that the cell voltage is not an exact measure of the state of the battery. One cell of a pair could be totally dead, yet the remaining cell could put out a correct voltage. It would be the current which would be halved. This is why there is such a complex BMS on these battery packs, to try and reduce cell failure. I built my pulse-current tester so I could throw a 20-25 amp load across the battery pack and make sure it could supply the full current.   Details are in this thread: https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/10991-minipro-batteries-4300mah-or-5700mah-boondoggle/?do=findComment&comment=189387       

Having played with lots of these 18650-size batteries over the years, I would not become worried until the discharged voltages varied by more than 0.1V and even when this happens I would suggest trying to assess whether the battery is able to supply full motor power, as it may well still be able to do. I am sure the BMS and the main firmware measure maximum motor current, but AFAIK there is no way to get a readout from them of how much current they are seeing from the cell-bank.

However, being able to watch a single two-cell 'cell' of the battery gradually change with time is far better than having no idea whatsoever of what is happening inside that battery :)

MG1.gif.97e28323f69859d3230641204170d35eMF1.gif.009c48834122f6fb13d24de419d83781

Edited by trevmar
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

"BLE not connected". Any ideas out there.

I had a bit of trouble getting connected initially. I connected using the Segway app, then opened the battery app, and all was OK. Closed the Segway app and battery app still stayed connected. Bluetooth is like that, sometimes...:)

23 hours ago, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Tried NINEBattery app with my Ninebot PTR Elite+  but says "BLE not connected".  Tried turning bluetooth on/off, but with no success.  Website says that it should work with any Ninebot.

Any ideas out there.

bluetooth 4.1, try with android device

On 10/16/2018 at 9:28 PM, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Tried NINEBattery app with my Ninebot PTR Elite+  but says "BLE not connected".  Tried turning bluetooth on/off, but with no success.  Website says that it should work with any Ninebot.

Any ideas out there.

Hi....

As said, is a problem of BT version....

While I'm able to connect to the MiniPro with Android 4.3 OS, Elite+ require at last Android 4.4 and up in order to use BT 4.1......

20 hours ago, trevmar said:

I had a bit of trouble getting connected initially. I connected using the Segway app, then opened the battery app, and all was OK. Closed the Segway app and battery app still stayed connected. Bluetooth is like that, sometimes...:)

20 hours ago, trevmar said:

Had  an old android phone with 4.4.2 and Ninebot V4.2.0.   Tried connecting to both apps to get Battery app to connect to Bluetooth, but still no success.  Do want to thank you for your post and suggestions.  Was certainly worth a try.

7 hours ago, jojo33 said:

bluetooth 4.1, try with android device

Had  an old android phone with 4.4.2 and Ninebot V4.2.0.   Tried connecting to both apps to get Battery app to connect to Bluetooth, but still no success.  Do want to thank you for your post and suggestions.  Was certainly worth a try.

20 minutes ago, NinebotPTRELITE+ said:

Has anyone been successful connecting  a Ninebot PTR Elite to the new NINEBattery App using a Android 4.4.1 or newer version????????????????? Or with any device??

Thnks.

will try asap and will let you know;)

Ok... here for my report. ..

Installed the app both in my Android OS 4.3 and 6.1 devices...

Before to go to try it with my Elite+ that is in garage, I try to connect with the app to my MiniPro. ... Well....

NO way to make them scanned by the app both in OS 4.3 and 6.1....in the bottom line the app still "write" BLE not Connected. ..

Useless the tries in rescan, reboot and/or turning Off/On The BT in the relative smartphones.... :confused1:

7 hours ago, zugu said:

Installed the app both in my Android OS 4.3 and 6.1 devices...

NO way to make them scanned by the app both in OS 4.3 and 6.1....in the bottom line the app still "write" BLE not Connected. ..

Running a Nexus 5X with Android 6.1, and no problems here connecting BLE. Note that phones may have BLE hardware limitations, rather than OS version limitations...

I tried it both on a Samsung Note3 Os 4.3 and on Tab S 8.4 Os 6.1.... no way to get listed my Minies during the scan....:(

Note that both devices work fine with the Official Ninebot app over BT...<_<

Edited by zugu

For those interested, here's a screenshot of what a battery with bad cells looks like. It throws a 52 error code (Battery Voltage Error) but turning the MiniPro on/off a few times will cause the error to stop. Before this NINEBattery App I had identified cells 2, 10, 11, 12, 13 as problematic. (10, 12, 13 being considered 'dead'). I thought 14 to be sketchy and this app shows it too is bad.

The NINEBattery App pretty much confirms what I already knew (hoping wasn't true). Any variation greater than 0.1v is bad juju.

I was able update BMS Firmware from v2.1.7 to v2.1.9 and NINEBattery report this as FW 18.1.7 and 18.1.9 respectively.

Anyone know what the BMS FW update does?

BatteryApp_BadResult.jpg

Edited by Syber7

20 hours ago, Syber7 said:

For those interested, here's a screenshot of what a battery with bad cells looks like. It throws a 52 error code (Battery Voltage Error) but turning the MiniPro on/off a few times will cause the error to stop. Before this NINEBattery App I had identified cells 2, 10, 11, 12, 13 as problematic. (10, 12, 13 being considered 'dead'). I thought 14 to be sketchy and this app shows it too is bad.

The NINEBattery App pretty much confirms what I already knew (hoping wasn't true). Any variation greater than 0.1v is bad juju.

I was able update BMS Firmware from v2.1.7 to v2.1.9 and NINEBattery report this as FW 18.1.7 and 18.1.9 respectively.

Anyone know what the BMS FW update does?

BatteryApp_BadResult.jpg

While the cell groups show a wide variety in Voltage (bad), none look "really" bad from this information. All the cell groups are above the minimum voltage for a cell, so that is very good news.  You would have to balance the cells and get the report. While cell group10 does look the worst, none of them show anything the warrants the term 'dead'.

It would be very interesting if you could charge the battery (preferably with a 63V charger) until the MiniPro says they are balanced (flashing all segments) and then get the report.  It might also be possible that the sensor (measurements) are out of calibration, and it is not the actual cells that vary. The BMS may calibrate the sensors in software.  

This is an interesting App, I think I will buy an Android phone to run it.

• Like 1