What is safer in case of engine failure?

maxkan

What is safer in case of engine failure  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is safer in case of engine failure?

• OneWheel
    • EUC

Onewheel. It doesn't go as fast as an EUC and also the tire is much larger. During a motor cut-out, which happens pretty frequently with a Onewheel, you just put one foot down and skid to a stop. Their top speed is around 15 mph as well. Their design is much easier to jump off of because it is not as reliant of the motor to keep balance as an EUC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, duaner said:

If you want safe, get a easy chair.  If you want more fun, faster, easier to turn, better on slopes and bumps, easier to port/store, etc, etc - then choose EUC over Onewheel.

I want both devices

Unless it happens under breaking, the Onewheel will make a sudden ground bite which is probably quite hard to run off from the sideways positioning on the board. Under breaking I'd maybe prefer the Onewheel failing.

Edited by Mono
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Generally speaking, I think we are referring to over-powering the motor causing shutdown or accidental dismount, which anyone can do by placing too much weight forward or backwards. Actual mechanical/electrical failure is very rare, comparatively.

Onewheels are easier to over-power because of the greater leverage created by the fore and aft platforms vs. the shorter pedals on an EUC which have less leverage. Fortunately, the Onewheel's platforms can sometimes lightly skid in an accident, slowing you down and allowing the move to be saved without dismounting. Conversely, if the edge of the platform bites the ground, the board will stop suddenly. There are third-party suppliers of roller accessories for the edge of the board that help with sliding in these situations.

The action stance used by Onewheel riders is actually more of a diagonal stance similar to what is used in martial arts. It is very stable and is a very good starting position for moving forwards or backwards, hence good for running out a mishap. Also when balancing normally this stance allows for more range of forward to backwards weight distribution while still remaining steady. Onewheels are very good at standing still or moving very slowly, and the stance itself makes it harder for the operator to lose their own balance.

Of course, the more powerful a motor is, and the larger a battery's capacity is, the less likely an operator of a certain weight might be to over-power a motor in the first place. Also, the faster you go, the less likely you are to have time to react and the more momentum you will have to deal with during a dismount.

A lot of our safety relies on ATGATT: all the gear, all the time.

Edited by Mmhmmm
clarification
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I haven’t ridden a Onewheel so I’m not sure about the exact riding position, but in general I’d take my chances from a forward stance over a sideways stance.

I have bailed a slipping or stuck MiniPro several times this winter. My speeds were of course always around walking pace, but still, if I’d had to jump sideways I figure I’d have grounded myself many times.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a Onewheel XR , Pint and a Inmotion v8. I've  logged about 1000 kms on the XR , 400 kms on the v8, but just got the PInt yesterday.

I had a bad fall when I first got my Xr because I got too cocky and didn't know what push back was, but never had a motor failure on the Onewheel or Inmotion. 

Fortunately, I was wearing full gear including a full face helmet. I still do.

Now I know push back and can almost predict when it's going to happen, the Pint is designed for more aggressive push back at a lower speed as I hit push back many times yesterday especially going up a hill.