Gotway MCM5 84V 420Wh advice

I have been occasionally riding a Ninebot C (with a battery of 320Wh) for the last 2 years (2000km approx.) and I have planned for an upgrade nearly since then (the limited speed of the C make it quite unpractical in most of the scenarios) but for one reason or another I never did it.

My initial replacement idea was the V8 (I put the deposit for one, before the release) and late on the KS16S (I just read good reviews about it), but from some time on and because of this forum I have been quite tempted to go for a Gotway.

Finally I get a good excuse for a change (6km + 55km train +10km commuting every day in each direction) and have been quite impressed from the reviews/videos of the MCM5.

It seems is my perfect commuting weapon (not too big or too heavy), fast and fun to ride.

The "problem" comes when it comes to the pricing, I can get the 420Wh (also 84v, same specs except the smaller battery) for 570USD brand new but if I want to go for the 650Wh I need to pay 835USD (yes I live in China).

I think with the 420Wh I should get a real range of around 20km in flat surface keeping a good speed, that is over what I will normally do....

From the other side if I go for the MCM5 650Wh I can get a Tesla 850Wh for less than 100USD more than the MCM5 and should be also not a bad commuter.

I would like some advice as I'm quite lost (as usual), important points for the decision:

- I'm a mean person ?

- Commuter (6km at less than 30km/h in downtown Shanghai with traffic on bike lanes + 10km of straight lines in the middle of nowhere with flat surface and no traffic (top speed)

- Easy to handle/carry ( I live in a 5th floor with no elevator and plan to carry it to the train every day (trains stations are quite big over here and unfortunately cannot ride inside them ?)

What do you think??

Thanks in advance for the advice, this forum is really the best place to get to know about the different wheels!

The Gotway MCM5 is 35 lbs for the 420wh battery version. The Inmotion V8 480wh is 30lbs and feels lighter than your Ninebot. It too can go 30 kp/h and faster depending on your weight and battery power with WheelLog app for Android. Available on this forum through a link as well. Search for it.

If you are not over 78 kg or 170 lbs the V8 should go the full 6km at 30 kph. Carrying the extra five pounds might not seem like a lot, but after the first 3 flights of stairs, you will be thankful for the further relief. The V8 charges remarkably fast too.

The MCM5 really shines as a hill climber on streets or up dirt hills.  I was told that since its a 14” tire it suffers from poor street surfacing and potholes. The V8 is also 5 lbs lighter than the KS16S which is also a fantastic vehicle for the streets.

Really depends on how much you will want to carry and your body weight.

I'm currently Commuting on a Tesla (10xxWh) and MCM4 (340Wh). If your inner city trip has a lot of stop-n-go lights &/or you have to snake thru multiple short blocks, i'd pick the MCM5 over the Tesla. The acceleration from a standstill with 14" wheels is awesome. For the last part you'll want the Tesla, tho the MCM5 has a pretty high top speed and if the roads aren't bad, 25mph on a 14" isn't that crazy. Also the Tesla is a little heavy for a 5th floor walk-up, tho the single sided handle on the MCM5 kinda sucks for that too. 

13 hours ago, US69 said:

My personal opinion on this:

Please do yourself a favor and get at least the 650wh MCM5...if not even the 800wh Version!!!....with the 420wh Version you have 20 cells less, thats not just less range, thats also less safety, as 40cells instead of 60 has to do all the work! 

More cells '= more range= more safety = less stress for the cells = less charging needed= longer battery life!

I would not set my life on a 40kmh Wheel that only has a 2times 20cells Setting....thats 20Amp max, means much less as with a 3P Setting = 60Amps!

My 2 Cents!!!!

Thanks for your reply, did not think about it before, range is not in my priority list but safety it is

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stan Onymous said:

The Gotway MCM5 is 35 lbs for the 420wh battery version. The Inmotion V8 480wh is 30lbs and feels lighter than your Ninebot. It too can go 30 kp/h and faster depending on your weight and battery power with WheelLog app for Android. Available on this forum through a link as well. Search for it.

If you are not over 78 kg or 170 lbs the V8 should go the full 6km at 30 kph. Carrying the extra five pounds might not seem like a lot, but after the first 3 flights of stairs, you will be thankful for the further relief. The V8 charges remarkably fast too.

The MCM5 really shines as a hill climber on streets or up dirt hills.  I was told that since its a 14” tire it suffers from poor street surfacing and potholes. The V8 is also 5 lbs lighter than the KS16S which is also a fantastic vehicle for the streets.

Really depends on how much you will want to carry and your body weight.

Thanks for the reply!

The V8 has been my favorite wheel for long time, but currently the pricing here is very similar to KS16S 640Wh, MCM5 650Wh or a Tesla 650Wh (just 10% less than these wheels)

I like the brand, reliability and lightness , but I get a smaller battery and a speed limited to 30kmh (it is really possible to increase that speed limit?) when with the others wheels I can probably cruise at 35kmh without being at their limit.

Anyway I also wonder how real are the speeds of each wheel comparing with the GPS..

For the 1st 6km (before the train) speed is not and issue but for the last 10km being limited to 30kmh should be a little annoying (specially to overtake the slow riders of the electric scooters that are quite unpredictable and cruise between 25-30kmh here in china).

Also I will just mostly need to carry it upstairs at my house, train station and most of the places in China have automatic stairs ?

Thanks!!!

I've bought my MCM5 (650 wh) from a guy who had to choose between Tesla and MCM5(he has a wife).  If Tesla is only $100 more, man it will be hard to pass that up with more wh.  I do love the light weight, torque and general usability of MCM5 but if it's between the Tesla and MCM5.  I would go for the one with more wh...

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, dieterGRAMS said:

I'm currently Commuting on a Tesla (10xxWh) and MCM4 (340Wh). If your inner city trip has a lot of stop-n-go lights &/or you have to snake thru multiple short blocks, i'd pick the MCM5 over the Tesla. The acceleration from a standstill with 14" wheels is awesome. For the last part you'll want the Tesla, tho the MCM5 has a pretty high top speed and if the roads aren't bad, 25mph on a 14" isn't that crazy. Also the Tesla is a little heavy for a 5th floor walk-up, tho the single sided handle on the MCM5 kinda sucks for that too.  

Thanks for your feedback.

If I'm able to cruise at 35km/h (22MPH), real speed on completely flat surface with the MCM5 will be more than enough for me.

I like also the Tesla (more stable and higher range), but I'm really more curious about the MCM5

4 hours ago, noze02 said:

Thanks for your feedback.

If I'm able to cruise at 35km/h (22MPH), real speed on completely flat surface with the MCM5 will be more than enough for me.

I like also the Tesla (more stable and higher range), but I'm really more curious about the MCM5

I had my borrowed mcm5 at 23mph based on GPS not the app, it wasn't my wheel so I didn't want to continuously drive fast but just to test the speed. I ride my ACM2 at 30mph routinely without any problems so I'd imagine the Tesla could do the same seeing as both have nearly the same internals, I could be wrong on that tho. 

Edited by Adumb
Typo

5 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

I've bought my MCM5 (650 wh) from a guy who had to choose between Tesla and MCM5(he has a wife).  If Tesla is only $100 more, man it will be hard to pass that up with more wh.  I do love the light weight, torque and general usability of MCM5 but if it's between the Tesla and MCM5.  I would go for the one with more wh... 

Actually here the Tesla is slightly cheaper than the MCM5 with the same battery capacity (650Wh).

Between the Tesla 650Wh and 1020Wh is less than 200USD difference (from 820USD to  1010USD) so is probably much better to go for the big battery.

The problem is than the MCM5 420Wh is 570USD (big difference) and that the regulations here are not so clear, so it have some chances one day to finish in a police deposit or just being able to use it and night....

1 hour ago, Adumb said:

I had my borrowed mcm5 at 23mph based on GPS not the app, it wasn't my wheel so I didn't want to continuously drive fast but just to test the speed. I ride my ACM2 at 30mph routinely without any problems so I'd imagine the Tesla could do the same seeing as both have nearly the same internals, I could be wrong on that tho.  

Thanks very useful information!!

That's pretty high speeds!!

• Like 1

With MCM5 650wh I (74kg rider) can ride on my maximum - 34km/h (smooth average 27km/h) 25 km distance. After that, app shows 30% remaining battery. This is about 5-7 km more.

Definitely, 650wh is a reasonable minimum with power and speed of MCM5.

Oh, of course, trolley handle is great and quite usable with stairs, as much as a "power disable button".

Edited by foxmulder32
  • Like 3

I have 650 wh. and I go upto 39 km/h till I start to hear 3 beeps, I can easy cruse 35 km/h and can take about 25-30 km with 25-35% battery left (depending on wind). I really, really like mcm5, small enough, no too havy (comparing to my last one msuper v3s), trolley (A+) and decent battery life (used to 1300-1600 wh.).

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, Esash said:

Your five flights of stairs walk up and walk down every day is a HUGE factor.

In fact, it's the ONLY factor, in my opinion.

Don't try too hard to find the perfect wheel that is both easy to carry up 5 flights of stairs AND has the biggest battery AND has the biggest wheel AND has the highest top speed.

Remember, everybody advising you to get a Tesla isn't going to be the one carrying that wheel up and down 5 flights of stairs before and after a long day at work every day. It's very easy for us to place a higher priority on extra-large battery/wheel/motor and the best value wheel, which it sounds like the Tesla would be.

Unfortunately for you, your 5 flights of stairs makes every other issue insignificant.

Your specific circumstances are so unique that you need to accept that you may want/need two separate EUCs for two different tasks. But the most important task right now is a wheel that can just get you to work and back, and something that you can relatively easily carry up 5 flights of stairs after a long day at work. 

When you have enough money in the future, you can start thinking about a long-range wheel that you take on long trips on your days off. But for now, you really just need a wheel that will do a very specific job for you: Be light, and be reliable.

Think about this: What if you go with a heavier wheel, and you slowly grow to absolutely resent having to carry it up and down 5 flights of stairs every day? What if you find yourself wanting to leave the wheel at home because it's simply too much of a burden?

What if you hurt your back or shoulder carrying the wheel up the stairs one day, when you are particularly tired after a particularly bad day at work? Now you have a very heavy wheel that caused an injury for you, and you can no longer carry the wheel up and down the stairs because of your bad back or bad shoulder. Now you might not even be able to work all day with your bad back. And some injuries are gradual, including back injuries.

Even though the InMotion V8 is not as good a wheel as the others, and even though it is not a great value compared to the other wheels, the fact is it might be a GREAT value for you, because it might be the best wheel for the very specific job you need it to do. It is not only light and reliable, but it has a 16" wheel that will be safer for your commute than a 14" wheel, like on those days where you are very tired and your mind is not as focused as it normally is. A 16" wheel is also just simply less stressful to commute with, especially over weeks and months. Because on a 16" wheel you can relax more, knowing that any little bump or hole won't cause a crash.

All of these wheels are basically safe. Your biggest safety risk in your circumstances is hurting your back or shoulder from lugging a heavy wheel up and down flights of stairs every day.

I would look at these wheels for your specific circumstances, with the highest priority on weight:

1) Inmotion V8 - Great water-proofing for rainy days, big 16" wheel for safety and comfort, proven reliability, and most importantly LIGHT WEIGHT.

2) Small battery MCM5 - should have good water-proofing, and will save you a lot of money too. Use that saved money to eventually buy a Tesla or something for your fun on your days off.

3) MCM4 - Even lighter than the MCM5, smaller, and probably cheaper too. 

4) Look at the new IPS S5. I don't think it has a trolly handle though.

5) KS14D or KS14S - The large battery KS14S might be as good or better an option for than than even the InMotion V8. Twice the battery, same light weight, even smaller size, good water-proofing and reliability, and nice trolley handle. The big difference though is that the V8 has a more comfortable, stable, and safer 16" wheel that you will grow to appreciate more and more every day of your commute. But you will also appreciate the smaller size of the KS14 D/S for it's small size.

Ignore value, battery size, and performance. You need a lightweight workhorse to get you to work and back. You don't need to be lugging around a 2000 watt motor and 1000wh battery every day for your short commute to work and your long trek up 5 flights of stairs. There's nothing ideal, or even preferable about that, and you don't want to learn the hard way with an injury.

Thanks for the reply!, I agree the lower weight of the V8 is an interesting point, but 3-4kg more won't make a big difference (at least for me), also my job is not very physically demanding so normally I get much more tired mentally than physically, so won't be a big burden to take the wheel upstairs.

For the safety perspective I'm more worried about a wheel does not have cut off issues that the weight of it...

Edited by noze02
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, foxmulder32 said:

With MCM5 650wh I (74kg rider) can ride on my maximum - 34km/h (smooth average 27km/h) 25 km distance. After that, app shows 30% remaining battery. This is about 5-7 km more.

Definitely, 650wh is a reasonable minimum with power and speed of MCM5.

Oh, of course, trolley handle is great and quite usable with stairs, as much as a "power disable button".

Thanks for the data, very interesting for me to get real data (I'm 79kg).

After all the replies I'm pretty clear 420Wh for such powerful wheel is not a good option and I will go for the 650Wh version.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

I have 650 wh. and I go upto 39 km/h till I start to hear 3 beeps, I can easy cruse 35 km/h and can take about 25-30 km with 25-35% battery left (depending on wind). I really, really like mcm5, small enough, no too havy (comparing to my last one msuper v3s), trolley (A+) and decent battery life (used to 1300-1600 wh.). 

Really thanks for sharing your experience, I think this wheel is exactly what I need/want.

Enjoy your MCM5, soon I will have mine (also 650Wh) ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My MCM5 just arrived, I follow the advice and get the 650Wh, tonight will go for a ride (it came just with 17% battery on it)

Feeling quite excited about it, so much that I forget my Ninebot in the taxi when I went to pick up the Gotway:rolleyes:

IMG_20180805_180503.jpg

Edited by noze02
  • Like 2

On 8/5/2018 at 6:09 AM, noze02 said:

My MCM5 just arrived, I follow the advice and get the 650Wh, tonight will go for a ride (it came just with 17% battery on it)

Feeling quite excited about it, so much that I forget my Ninebot in the taxi when I went to pick up the Gotway:rolleyes:

IMG_20180805_180503.jpg

Congrats... we'll be waiting for your first impression after few rides.

14 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Uuh, is that real carbon fiber or made to look like carbon fiber?

Looks like,  is just hard plastic and actually the quality of the plastics is not really the strong point of this wheel even in the pictures looks nice :-)

13 hours ago, yourtoys7 said:

Congrats... we'll be waiting for your first impression after few rides.

Thanks, plant to make a full review once I ride it a little more.

I just get it last Sunday and it has 65km on it. I'm trying different tyre pressures and playing a little with Wheellog (great app).

Currently I have set up the first alarm at 34km/h and works fine for me.

Is summer in Shanghai and temperature is around 35 Celsius but wheel keeps always cool below 50degree (here is completely flat)

Is amazingly silent, great acceleration and cruise nicely at 30-32kmh if the surface is smooth (I did not try to go over 34-35kmh).

Front light is better than nothing but will like something more bright, handle is really practical but feels is going to break apart easily, and the shut off button when you lift it is a great feature.

I feel confortable without padding on the sides but all my rides where less than 20km (need a longer one to test it).

Really happy with the purchase, I was never very convinced about getting a Gotway but once you ride it you forget about all the issues/problems etc. it rides far way better than any other wheel I ride before.

I imagine that is all about controlling yourself and not putting the wheel to the limit....

In 10days I think I will be able to take it to some mountains and test the climbing capabilities.

Thanks for all the advices!!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 1:32 PM, noze02 said:

Thanks, plant to make a full review once I ride it a little more.

I just get it last Sunday and it has 65km on it. I'm trying different tyre pressures and playing a little with Wheellog (great app).

Currently I have set up the first alarm at 34km/h and works fine for me.

Is summer in Shanghai and temperature is around 35 Celsius but wheel keeps always cool below 50degree (here is completely flat)

Is amazingly silent, great acceleration and cruise nicely at 30-32kmh if the surface is smooth (I did not try to go over 34-35kmh).

Front light is better than nothing but will like something more bright, handle is really practical but feels is going to break apart easily, and the shut off button when you lift it is a great feature.

I feel confortable without padding on the sides but all my rides where less than 20km (need a longer one to test it).

Really happy with the purchase, I was never very convinced about getting a Gotway but once you ride it you forget about all the issues/problems etc. it rides far way better than any other wheel I ride before.

I imagine that is all about controlling yourself and not putting the wheel to the limit....

In 10days I think I will be able to take it to some mountains and test the climbing capabilities.

Thanks for all the advices!!

Good for you! I’m in Shanghai too!:D

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, littlelio said:

Good for you! I’m in Shanghai too!:D

I bought it from Tim (in Hongqiao area), do you know him?

Already made over 400km with it, this little thing is really a blast to ride.

9 hours ago, noze02 said:

I bought it from Tim (in Hongqiao area), do you know him?

Already made over 400km with it, this little thing is really a blast to ride.

Great. I do not know him perhaps you can introduce. I am looking at a smaller one to be portable. MCM5 or even better mten3.