THE VIDEO THREAD!

dpong

On 9/23/2022 at 5:55 PM, 5Cauac said:

S22 Motor failure and blown Mother Board while out on the trail, deep in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Had to be stashed to be rescued the following day by an S18!! 😲

0:00 Preview
01:09 Intro/S22 issues
4:02 Suspension and Torque talk
7:02 Black Diamond trail run (Ridge Trail)
8:59 Blue Square trail run (Flow Trail)
11:56 Motor and Mother Board failure
12:54 The rescue plan
15:47 A very exhausting and wet rescue
17:23 Successful rescue

I don't see any peddle clip in the video.  Are you sure you hit a pedal?  Also, we're wondering if the motor failed via stator slip.  If so, please cross-post your update:  

1 hour ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I don't see any peddle clip in the video.  Are you sure you hit a pedal?  Also, we're wondering if the motor failed via stator slip.  If so, please cross-post your update:  

Yes, I returned to the berm and did notice a fresh scrape along root. I still need to confirm if in fact it was a stator slip that caused the blown MB by opening up the motor.

Will be doing that sometime this week.  

Edit: I don't think the pedal clip was the cause at all as it was more of a scraping rather than a clipping. What did it in was either the tether yanking the wheel to full stop or the how others have reported by crashing on it's side.  

Edited by 5Cauac

2 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Thank you informing us. A sturdy fire box wouldn't have been any better. Hot flammable gases can catch fire outside of sack or box.

unless it is vented to the outdoors no box is going to contain that explosion. it was so intense. the video doesnt do it justice how crazy it really was. it would help for the prolong fire, but when those packs go its just nutty

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Shameless promotion from myself. :D 

I think my box could handle that. All flames would go out of those holes.. Doh because of the extreme heat, the surroundings still would catch on flames. If not melt the box itself... (Need to add additional flame prof paddings around/in the box for "bigger" wheels - Wheels which have much bigger batteries.)

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

I keep saying EUC's need to be waterproof!!! People use these thing to go to job, for transportation. If it's raining like crazy, pouring down with buckets. We still need to ride. In fall it's almost raining everyday - at least where i'm from. I and my dad use backpack cover over our euc's. But that doesn't make it 100% safe to ride in rain.

I don't understand, a item that is made for outdoors and yet aren't made waterproof.. Especially something electrical, that can burn down houses.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Funky said:

Shameless promotion from myself. :D 

I think my box could handle that. All flames would go out of those holes.. Doh because of the extreme heat, the surroundings still would catch on flames. If not melt the box itself... (Need to add additional flame prof paddings around/in the box for "bigger" wheels - Wheels which have much bigger batteries.)

Your box might survive, but not the apartment were it is located. Your (and many others) box can't handle the volume and pressure of hot flammable gases. To make it work, you need vent the gases outdoor, as @GoGeorgeGo noted, or submerge the wheel into water in early stage of thermal runaway. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Your box might survive, but not the apartment were it is located. Your (and many others) box can't handle the volume and pressure of hot flammable gases. To make it work, you need vent the gases outdoor, as @GoGeorgeGo noted, or submerge the wheel into water in early stage of thermal runaway. 

2.3 vent holes for each battery cell. It literally has 2x the size of cell diameter to vent hole. Or is the volume/pressure so much greater? (I built the box for my ks18xl wheel in mind.. For much bigger wheels it would need to be much more robust.)

~285 vent holes for 120 cells.

Edited by Funky

8 minutes ago, chanman said:

Can we get a summary of that, heavily used wheel, recently got submerged briefly, deliberate thermal runaway after charging to full? Do I have that right?

You got one spot wrong. They were trying to charge the wheel in place where nothing could catch on fire - if fire started.. They didn't know it will start burning. Just taught it may happen. (Because of water ingress..)

They wanted to play safe. By charging it somewhere else than at home.

Edited by Funky

7 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I am trying good old fashioned bricks, having decided a firesack isn't enough, 2 deep, and piled up around the wheel with tactical small air gaps.

Photo please? :clap3: Wanna see it.

Don't forget lay on top of it something - as batteries can go flying like rockets.

50 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I am trying good old fashioned bricks, having decided a firesack isn't enough, 2 deep, and piled up around the wheel with tactical small air gaps.

It isn't any better than the firesak on the video. Hot flammable gasses would ignite everything around your wheel castle.

7 minutes ago, Eucner said:

It isn't any better than the firesak on the video. Hot flammable gasses would ignite everything around your wheel castle.

You don't know where he keeps the wheel. Maybe in basement where everything is concrete.. Maybe in big open empty place. Maybe in old cast iron bathtub. :D 

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Don't forget lay on top of it something - as batteries can go flying like rockets.

Yes I will have roof tiles on top to prevent toply egress ! I am very lucky that my builder landlord leaves a delightful variety of stuff outside my walls !

33 minutes ago, Eucner said:

Yeah you see I am not so sure about that. I think that if they have to find their way through tiny non-coincident gaps in multiple layers of thick stone they may have cooled to non-ignition temps by the time they clear the last one. I don't think the explosive nature of these is enough to blow apart 2 layers of tightly packed bricks, although I could imagine it cracking the roof tiles, so may double those up too. I do have a fire blanket next to my charging station, and a good old bucket of sand and a dry powder fire extinguisher and a pair of heavy duty welding gloves nearby with which to pick it up and carry it the few feet to outside if that becomes preferable or caught early enough in the event of disaster. I think that is probably about as much effort as I am prepared to go to. Over and above that, my landlord has buildings insurance and me and the cat are quite fast on our legs if we have to be !

Edited by Cerbera

45 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah you see I am not so sure about that. I think that if they have to find their way through tiny non-coincident gaps in multiple layers of thick stone they may have cooled to non-ignition temps by the time they clear the last one. I don't think the explosive nature of these is enough to blow apart 2 layers of tightly packed bricks, although I could imagine it cracking the roof tiles, so may double those up too.

My reply to @Funky is also applicable to your case.

45 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I do have a fire blanket next to my charging station, and a good old bucket of sand and a dry powder fire extinguisher and a pair of heavy duty welding gloves nearby with which to pick it up and carry it the few feet to outside if that becomes preferable or caught early enough in the event of disaster.

These could help only if you are around and awake when fire starts. You can't count on that.