Uses for old still good battery packs?

kasenutty

I have a 14c that's semi retired that has a hardly used 840wh battery set up. Can this be used for anything? Is this the same size and shape as my 16s batteries? Could I buy some kind of Kingsong for cheap and swap the batteries, like put them into a 14d and have 840wh? What can I do with these batteries to make good use of them? I probably put 400 miles or so on my 14c so the battery cycles are pretty low. 

Why not?

Most all current and past EUCs use XT60 power connectors, so just a matter of all the peripheral connectors matching up I think.

There are other posts on here with people using non-traditional RC add-on packs, DIY LiON with AliExpress 16S BMS's, etc.

But there are more knowledgeable than I, hopefully someone else will chime in.

5 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I have a 14c that's semi retired that has a hardly used 840wh battery set up. Can this be used for anything? Is this the same size and shape as my 16s batteries? Could I buy some kind of Kingsong for cheap and swap the batteries, like put them into a 14d and have 840wh? What can I do with these batteries to make good use of them? I probably put 400 miles or so on my 14c so the battery cycles are pretty low. 

From ks16a/b/c to ks16s the battery bms/wiring changed. Between these modells  a simple swap would not be possible. But i don't know about the batteries used for the 14d

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:53 AM, kasenutty said:

Kasenutty, if your KS14C is still operational, consider selling it to this guy who is looking for his first wheel with a $500 budget. He's in Texas, and considering far inferior wheels:

I totally would but it’s been ridden 800 miles by a fat guy, and I worry that the axle may be cracked already. Definitely need to open it up and go through it. I would be hesitant to make it into someone’s new problem.

4 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I totally would but it’s been ridden 800 miles by a fat guy, and I worry that the axle may be cracked already. Definitely need to open it up and go through it. I would be hesitant to make it into someone’s new problem.

For the record: It wasn't me!

Um, do you have access to some Kanthal wires?  :whistling:  Arranged in the proper orientation you could use the battery packs to summon the unholy demon of the underworld...  if you want, that is.  I know a guy who could recommend some catchy satanic music which could come in handy too.

The batteries contain 18650-cells (like @digitalkenny said above), so you could take them apart and use the cells. On their own, the voltage is too high for most devices that use something like 12, 9, 5 or 3.3V, but with suitable (high enough DC input voltage allowed) devices, they could be used as-is. Most wheels use XT60's, but KS16S switched to MT60's (if memory serves) and apparently uses the third line for some type of communication between the BMS and the mainboard, so likely wouldn't work just by connecting the red and black wire there, but should for other wheels using batteries with same voltage (67.2V max, 16 cells in series).

XT60:

411DLLr3sYL._SX425_.jpg

MT60:

66802.jpg

There are motorcycle lights available that work up to 80V input, but I had one die on me during testing, so the quality of these ones might not bet that good:

NcUoqxS.jpg

These things are really bright, the picture's taken in a fully lit room but the surroundings look dark because of the camera.

Homemade flashlight using 2 x 18650's, I use this during the winter to take the dog out late at evening/night, 10-15 minutes of use per day, usually need to recharge only every 3-4 months (with <2000mAh cells):

7PNukLd.jpg

BR6beOq.jpg

Not a very efficient solution, as it uses simple constant current source to keep the current in check, step-down switching would be much more efficient (so it would need to be recharged even more infrequently).

Easiest way to use them is to produce heat :D 

7t5zJ0f.jpg

I should clarify, I was looking for EUC uses. I have shitloads of 18650s and don't need any and was hoping I could use my Kingsong Battery pack for another kingsong of some kind. Or maybe a different brand with swapped connectors. Sorry for the vagueness of the post :)

3 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

I should clarify, I was looking for EUC uses. I have shitloads of 18650s and don't need any and was hoping I could use my Kingsong Battery pack for another kingsong of some kind. Or maybe a different brand with swapped connectors. Sorry for the vagueness of the post :)

At least some (most?) older IPS's have BMSs built into the mainboard or some separate board inside the aluminum cooling case-thingie, and the newer King Songs (well, at least KS16S, might be also the other S's) have the MT60-set up, but many other wheels seem to use just XT60's (or some other connector), so as long as there's no other wiring running between the battery packs and the mainboard, and they use the same "16S" (16 cells in series, not KS16S) batteries, the only issue should be being able to get the packs to fit inside the wheel. Connectors can always be changed (of course take the "usual" precautions if you start to fiddle around with the batteries: 

)

25 minutes ago, kasenutty said:

OOooOOoooOooooooh  :efef2e0fff: I guess putting together a battery pack for an eSamba VW bus is off the list then...  :yawn:

Archived