Max Weight Limit

Slartibartfast

I'm looking into getting myself a first uni but I am a pretty hefty lad and am not sure which models will accommodate my rather substantial 'heft'.

I appreciate that additional mass will take it's toll on the battery and inhibit uphill velocity and things but does anything bad actually happen if you over load them?

So far the highest rating I've been able to find is Inmotion's V8 (which is rated for 120kg).

Are there any models rated for 130kg or more?

Thanks,
Slarti.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take a look at the ratings for King Song KS16S, I believe it is substantially higher than the V8, and also look at the 18 inch wheels from both King Song and Gotway. The 18 inch wheels handle a lot more payload than the V8...........also there is the Big Boy....Gotway Monster which is a 22 inch wheel, although this is probably not the best choice for a “first wheel” but it will handle a lot of weight.

35 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Take a look at the ratings for King Song KS16S, I believe it is substantially higher than the V8.

Oh, nice!

The KS16 models are rated to 150kg! That will even take me just after eating lunch ;)
https://www.electricunicycles.eu/kingsong_ks16_c_(white)_680_wh_2017_face_lifting-c__59#tab_specification

I had been looking ar the KS14's previously but the 14's are not rated as highly. Thank you for the pointer :)

28 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Oh, nice!

The KS16 models are rated to 150kg! That will even take me just after eating lunch ;)
https://www.electricunicycles.eu/kingsong_ks16_c_(white)_680_wh_2017_face_lifting-c__59#tab_specification

I had been looking ar the KS14's previously but the 14's are not rated as highly. Thank you for the pointer :)

eWheels-Product-Lineup-30-Dec-17.jpg

Keep in mind that recommended rider weight is a better number than max rider weight. 

1: King Song KS18S

1a? Gotway Monster ?

3 Gotway MSuper 3

4 Gotway Tesla

4a? Gotway ACM2?

Keep in mind this chart might be outdated a bit, and new wheels like the Kingsong KS18L probably has a nice number too

Best thing you can do is eat less:efee47c9c8: EUCs are really weight sensitive. 

You'll also gain a lot of range by losing weight. Range goes down crazy fast for heavier riders, and up like crazy for lighter riders.

Lower weight means better safety. Better everything. In principle, 80kg rider (100kg overall) vs 130kg rider (150kg overall) you need 50% more power for the same stuff (think: emergency braking, balancing a sudden bump, and so on). Kinetic energy is proportional to mass.

A crash with higher weight = more likely to injure.

Etc.

--

Ok sorry, that's it for the weight comment now:efee47c9c8:

At 130+kg, I'd only trust the KingSong electronics. Not sure about the Gotways (I might be wrong). And you need a strong motor anyways, so V8 (800W nominal) is out of the question.

16S, 18L are really the best recommendations for you. Preferably anything with >1500W (nominal) motor power. There are a lot of nice, strong wheels coming out in the next few months as well.

These weight ratings are not trustworthy anyways, so don't believe them too much.

9 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

EUC riding itself lends itself to weight loss, so just buying an EUC addresses that private issue

Wait, wait, wait... Back the bus up a bit...

I must have been doing this wrong for the last 2½ years, because my riding hasn't lent itself to weight loss. My core muscles are hugely improved (completely negating a back problem), but the weight hasn't really changed...

So what are you doing differently???

23 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I must have been doing this wrong for the last 2½ years, because my riding hasn't lent itself to weight loss. My core muscles are hugely improved (completely negating a back problem), but the weight hasn't really changed...

I've lost almost 8kg riding my GT16... from 96,5 to 88,5 approx.

I have no idea why you're not, but one thing I started doing after noticing that my weight started dropping was to exclude everything "sugar" from my daily diet. Then it accelerated.

Now I've started training three times a week, since the weight loss kind of flattened out, and I start seeing those booooooring hours on the cross-trainer starting to give effect.

My new goal is 83kg, which is what I weighed 17 years ago, or 85kg if I can turn those last 2kg into hard muscle. ;) 

On 4/9/2018 at 6:45 PM, Slartibartfast said:

I'm looking into getting myself a first uni but I am a pretty hefty lad and am not sure which models will accommodate my rather substantial 'heft'.

I appreciate that additional mass will take it's toll on the battery and inhibit uphill velocity and things but does anything bad actually happen if you over load them?

So far the highest rating I've been able to find is Inmotion's V8 (which is rated for 120kg).

Thanks,
Slarti.

I was around 285 pounds when I started this hobby. My first wheel was a Segway S1.. I believe it’s max rating was 220 pounds. I now ride a KingSong KS18S. That wheel will handle your weight just fine. I also think it is the current best wheel  on the market. KingSong wins the quality war hands down.  Starting to save my beans for the KingSong 18X. 

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Running/walking on the treadmill while I wait for the snow to melt so I can ride my EUC :huh:

I guess just owning the EUC was extremely beneficial for my depression, and energized me enough to really hit the exercising hard while I wait for the weather to unfreeze. EUC gave me reason to hope, to dream, to love, to fight back at winter.

And when the weather warms up I plan on riding to the local basketball courts and running track, where the real intense exercising will be done. 

If I had a wheel with a range of more than 10-11 miles, I might have the same frustrations you do about not burning a lot of calories on the EUC.  

If you want real weight advice though, cut back on cheese 90%, so it's a once or twice a week treat. Cheese affects the brain like opiates, true story. But it's 70% fat. 

Eat cheese once/twice a week, eat meat 3-4 times a week, and cut way back on milk.

And there's nothing wrong with treating eating like a drug addiction, and going to therapy/group therapy or even rehab for it. Over-eating/obesity is just as harmful to your health as most drugs, but we don't tackle the problem/addiction/bad habits with the same seriousness that we tackle drug addiction.

Being poor and learning to cook beans/lentils/legumes has been incredible for my health. Just incorporate no-meat days 3-4 times a week, and cut out 90% of your cheese/dairy intake, and you'll be surprised by what happens to your body if you stick with it.

And bread/carbs are good, not bad. Endurance athletes live on carbs, for muscle recovery. So eat more bread/carbs, and incorporate some exercise into your lifestyle, and you'll slowly turn into an athlete of sorts. Then you're well on your way to turning into an athlete, period.

Think in terms of months, not weeks, to judge your improvements, and you'll be pleasantly shocked.

And your cardiovascular health will improve tremendously from cutting back on the animal fat. Blood will flow much more smoothly through your system, you'll be able to do ever more cardio exercise, and the Mrs will notice all kinds of size and stamina improvements in your ... performance.

This lifestyle will also raise your testosterone level greatly, which also affects the changes that the Mrs will notice.

Seriously, if you struggle to change your diet, talk to a therapist about it, maybe one who specializes in food addiction and/or diet changes.

And if those beans/vegetables don't taste good, get used to HOT SAUCE. Study Indian cooking or other spicy foods, and dump that stuff on your beans/potatoes/veggies.

Oh, and only drink water or coffee for the most part. Add the fruit juice/soda after you've significantly increased your exercise regime over the next month or two.

That's right, endurance athletes chug soda like nothing, and it's basically good for them.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention doing the above has helped me lose 20-25 pounds, and I'm no longer obese. Just overweight! My body fat % has gone down from 30+ to 20-23%. Hopefully I'll get it down to about 15% this summer on the running track. That's the kind of thing that is possible when you stay relatively consistent, you put yourself within range of achieving fitness goals that previously seemed impossible.

And if you get hungry at night, just eat peanut butter sandwiches. New research is showing that bread before bed can actually help you lose weight if you're exercising a little bit, and it's much better to eat bread than to get frustrated and binge on junk food, cheese, or meat.

Good luck buddy, and don't be too proud to seek out the professional help that is out there. Admitting that there's a problem is the first step. Perhaps the second step is admitting that problem to a professional who can help you better than we can help ourselves.

Poverty was my therapist, but you probably don't have that luxury and need more help. I know I would, if I had that sweet sweet pizza money.

46 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

I've lost almost 8kg riding my GT16... from 96,5 to 88,5 approx.

I have no idea why you're not, but one thing I started doing after noticing that my weight started dropping was to exclude everything "sugar" from my daily diet. Then it accelerated.

Now I've started training three times a week, since the weight loss kind of flattened out, and I start seeing those booooooring hours on the cross-trainer starting to give effect.

Yeah, having an EUC just stimulates wanting to have an active, healthy lifestyle. 

On 4/9/2018 at 8:45 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Thanks,
Slarti.

Yes extra weight has a direct effect on all euc systems and has a correlation with the longevity of the unicycle. About 2 years ago I evev came up with an emperical formula describing this relationship ( i gotta find this thread). It affects the loading placed on the battery cells especially when braking/ accelerating , it overloads mechanical connections/ bearings/ axle, causes higher amperage thru CB and fuses. I would say this is the single most common cause of issues. I used to be 40 lbs heavier and my ks14c would break all the time even though I was within the manufacturer announced weight limiT.  Yes you can find an euc for you that supports the weight and your axle may be thick enough to sustain it but manufacturers still do not do sufficient testing to account for all of the effects of the increased weight. This is not the reason to not ride an euc. By all means you should ride , pick one with a high upper weight limit, good track record, thick axle, large battery and high motor power.

now, I realize this wasn’t your question , and it’s none of my business , so feel free to tell me to shut the F..k up, but if you are planning to lose weight , maybe I can help you.  I just lost 40-45lbs  in 4 months, it was an easy program to follow and I can guide you through it. It may be unpleasant to discuss this but sometimes we all need a little help to bring us back on track. But you may be tall and well proportioned and not needing any weight reduction in which case just disregard my unsolicited comments.

19 hours ago, Cloud said:

Yes extra weight has a direct effect on all euc systems and has a correlation with the longevity of the unicycle. About 2 years ago I evev came up with an emperical formula describing this relationship ( i gotta find this thread). It affects the loading placed on the battery cells especially when braking/ accelerating , it overloads mechanical connections/ bearings/ axle, causes higher amperage thru CB and fuses. I would say this is the single most common cause of issues. I used to be 40 lbs heavier and my ks14c would break all the time even though I was within the manufacturer announced weight limiT.  Yes you can find an euc for you that supports the weight and your axle may be thick enough to sustain it but manufacturers still do not do sufficient testing to account for all of the effects of the increased weight. This is not the reason to not ride an euc. By all means you should ride , pick one with a high upper weight limit, good track record, thick axle, large battery and high motor power.

now, I realize this wasn’t your question , and it’s none of my business , so feel free to tell me to shut the F..k up, but if you are planning to lose weight , maybe I can help you.  I just lost 40-45lbs  in 4 months, it was an easy program to follow and I can guide you through it. It may be unpleasant to discuss this but sometimes we all need a little help to bring us back on track. But you may be tall and well proportioned and not needing any weight reduction in which case just disregard my unsolicited comments.

:blink1:

:(

:crying:

Okaaay you guys all ignore my Gravitos recommendations and head for the salad bar!  :blink:   Actually one thing I do notice is if you chew your food and eat slowly you don't tend to gain weight much.  Also be sure to drink plenty of water during meals, and cut back on the soda.  

I notice that I'm the slowest eater at dinner gatherings (and not because I yap the most :angry:).  Also not snacking or eating late close to sleep time is apparently beneficial.

2 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Okaaay you guys all ignore my Gravitos recommendations and head for the salad bar!  :blink:   Actually one thing I do notice is if you chew your food and eat slowly you don't tend to gain weight much.  Also be sure to drink plenty of water during meals, and cut back on the soda.  

I notice that I'm the slowest eater at dinner gatherings (and not because I yap the most :angry:).  Also not snacking or eating late close to sleep time is apparently beneficial.

Hunka, your detective (spy?) powers have exceeded all expectations. I don’t know how you hacked my secret weight loss program files, but what you described actually is the base of my weight loss program - eating slow, chew the food,  drink a lot, no soda or snacks. One thing they don’t address is eating late - I am sure you threw it in there just so it doesn’t look like An exact copy of my secret program.

2 hours ago, Cloud said:

Hunka, your detective (spy?) powers have exceeded all expectations. I don’t know how you hacked my secret weight loss program files, but what you described actually is the base of my weight loss program - eating slow, chew the food,  drink a lot, no soda or snacks. One thing they don’t address is eating late - I am sure you threw it in there just so it doesn’t look like An exact copy of my secret program.

After 20:00 in the night, only eat light stuff like yoghurt, a cup of tea and a small sandwich or just enough to not be kept awake by hunger. It does wonders for both sleep quality and weight.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:51 AM, Scouts Honor said:

New research is showing that bread before bed can actually help you lose weight

Where is this research? (Midnight bagel diet here I come.) :efeebb3acc:

1 hour ago, RayRay said:

Where is this research? (Midnight bagel diet here I come.) :efeebb3acc:

Maybe carbs aren't that bad after all: Study claims eating bread and pasta before bed could help you shed those last pesky kilos

• A recent study has claimed that 'carb backloading' could help you lose weight 
  • This is when you eat most of your carbs, like bread and pasta, before bed 
  • FEMAIL spoke to two Australian dietitians to see whether they agree 

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-5596835/Can-carb-backloading-make-lose-weight-Nutritionists-weigh-trend.html#ixzz5CW2S6axN 

Bread Before Bed? David Letterman’s Doctor Explains Why It’s Best to Eat Carbs at the End of the Day

01/12/2016

If you’re going to hit the breadbasket, when is the best time of day to do it?

According to Dr. Louis Aronne, director of Weill Cornell Medicine’s Comprehensive Weight Loss Center (and David Letterman’s doctor), it’s actually at the end of the day. Aronne shares this unconventional weight loss tip in his new book, The Change Your Biology Diet, and now he’s breaking down all of his best advice and insight for PEOPLE:

Eat carbs late in the meal and late in the day.
“Having carbs first may stimulate appetite, and make it harder to control your eating,” explains Aronne – who cites his research to backup this claim. “In one study, young men were given instant oatmeal for breakfast one day, and on another day they were given eggs. On the day they had the oatmeal, they ate 80 percent more than on the day they had eggs. They also were still hungry, even though they were eating more.” So skip the bagels and cereal for breakfast, and if you’re going to consume carbs, eat them at the end of the day when they will “have a minimal effect on eating.”

15 hours ago, Cloud said:

:ph34r:  It's the psychic powahs at work once again.  What can I say?  :innocent1:   I heard eating after 10:00 pm adds those calories onto the mid-section.  Side tip - I find wearing a belt seems to help keep me slim and my pants up as well.  Go figure.

Here's the original thread if anyone's interested.  Wow has it been that long ago?  :blink:  Seemed like just yesterday.  

Archived