How hard can I push my ACM?

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

If you buy a used item and damage it yourself it’s not the sellers problem, it’s yours .

Exactly, "As is, Where Is" isn't that the idea of buying used goods.  "Let the buyer be 'ware".  I bought a used Mazda Miata last year only to discover the previous owner had run it out of oil at some time, and ruined all the bearing shells in the big end.  Did I go crying for my money back, even though the abuse was obvious?  No, I sucked it up and stripped down the bottom end and replaced all the shells.  Used, is used.  You have no guarantee unless specifically written.  @Marty Backe you are too nice.  I'm not saying you should be a dick, but this was too generous.

Next time you sell a wheel, and there will be a next time, test ride the wheel in front of the buyer.  Have them test ride it (if they can ride) and re-iterate, after the sale is final, there is no going back."As is Where is"  Better yet, write it on the receipt.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I now believe he broke the axle but lied to me when saying he had no issues when riding it for a few days. Evidenced by a damaged trolley handle that I didn't notice until after he returned it and took his money. :furious:

That’s a bummer! You were extremely generous to accept the return. I’m going to learn from your experience and take an array of photos of my ACM before selling it. With the new shells, side panels and pedals it will be easy to determine if the wheel was abused by the buyer. 

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I now believe he broke the axle but lied to me when saying he had no issues when riding it for a few days. Evidenced by a damaged trolley handle that I didn't notice until after he returned it and took his money. :furious:

???

How did that go? Did he bring back the ACM and said something like "i am not able to ride it, so please take it back" or did you offer a 2week test time?

And then the axle and the trolley were broken? I thought you sold it to a "friend".....MIf you have friends like that you dont Need any enemies ;-)

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That’s a bummer! You were extremely generous to accept the return. I’m going to learn from your experience and take an array of photos of my ACM before selling it. With the new shells, side panels and pedals it will be easy to determine if the wheel was abused by the buyer. 

This is always a good idea ...taking photographs of the item right before you box it up. Or before the new owner takes possession. I build and sell road bikes in the side to supplement my income. (High end frames and components...$1-$3k price range usually. And always ...always document every inch of the bike before sending it off . I’ve had a few PayPal disputes in the past and the photo evidence has always helped resolve them in my favor . Also keep all your conversations if they Are text or messages. 

You selling your ACM @Rehab1?

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

Exactly, "As is, Where Is" isn't that the idea of buying used goods.  "Let the buyer be 'ware".  I bought a used Mazda Miata last year only to discover the previous owner had run it out of oil at some time, and ruined all the bearing shells in the big end.  Did I go crying for my money back, even though the abuse was obvious?  No, I sucked it up and stripped down the bottom end and replaced all the shells.  Used, is used.  You have no guarantee unless specifically written.  @Marty Backe you are too nice.  I'm not saying you should be a dick, but this was too generous.

Next time you sell a wheel, and there will be a next time, test ride the wheel in front of the buyer.  Have them test ride it (if they can ride) and re-iterate, after the sale is final, there is no going back."As is Where is"  Better yet, write it on the receipt.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

???

How did that go? Did he bring back the ACM and said something like "i am not able to ride it, so please take it back" or did you offer a 2week test time?

And then the axle and the trolley were broken? I thought you sold it to a "friend".....MIf you have friends like that you dont Need any enemies ;-)

Ours is a very small community and I didn't want him to think I was trying to screw him by selling a defective wheel. I heard second hand that he was bad mouthing me because the axle broke.  Joey opened it for him and diagnosed the issue as the wire side of the axle had snapped.

I don't need that kind of aggravation, and I thought, "just maybe I did damage the axle when I recently rebuilt it". I did ride it about 70-miles after the repair with no issues, so I had my doubts that the problem was mine. He told me he rode it with no issues and then when he was at a stop, it started shaking.

But I choose to accept blame and give all of his money back. The $635 seemed a lot more important to him then it was to me.

Two days later I'm in my workshop and decide to take a look at. That's when I notice that the trolley handle has a bad twist to it and the left side of the bracket that is screwed into the bottom of the shell is twisted and ripped out of the shell (screw missing). I knew for a fact that the trolley handle was in perfect condition when I gave it to him (I had cleaned the ACM before giving it to him).

So clearly he had at least one accident of some sort that was severe enough to bent the trolley handle and rip it out of the shell. And he didn't tell me about it. His omission of this accident tells me everything I need to know, along with the fact apparently he was drunk when bad mouthing me to others. So I classify him as a low character individual.

I've learned my lesson, and as you guys suggest, next time I sell a wheel it will be clearly stated that the sale is final. That might make it harder to sell as I emphasize this fact, but it has to be. I can't go through this again.

But like I said, I'm going to turn this into some lemonade. Convert it to a ACM2, put a knobby tire on it, and dedicate it to wild mountain riding :w00t2:

1 hour ago, Scott Henley said:

Okay guys . Parts at here . Time to begin repair . 

1: what’s the proper way to plug in connectors? Order ? 

2: best way to test BMS on the repaired battery . 

Just make sure that the very last connector (of all connectors) that is plugged in is the battery connector on the control board. The sequence for the other connectors is not important.

I have no experience with the BMS, but I would imagine that if you can charge and have full capacity, everything is good.

33 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just make sure that the very last connector (of all connectors) that is plugged in is the battery connector on the control board. The sequence for the other connectors is not important.

I have no experience with the BMS, but I would imagine that if you can charge and have full capacity, everything is good.

By battery connector on the control board you mean the larger gauge wires with the xt60’s on the PCb side ? So the charge wire and other smaller red and black wires with the black clips first ...then the xt60’s? 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes. It will be up for sale this weekend. I just need someone to test it out first. ;)

Could you maybe sent me a message with price and info ...depending on the outcome today I might need a new ACM ...well a new battery pack at worst but for the cost of a new pack it might just be better to buy  another ACM .. 

35 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

By battery connector on the control board you mean the larger gauge wires with the xt60’s on the PCb side ? So the charge wire and other smaller red and black wires with the black clips first ...then the xt60’s? 

Yes, it's the only battery cable/connector coming from the PCB. All other wires and connectors can be connected in any order that you want. Leave the PCB battery connector to the very last.

21 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, it's the only battery cable/connector coming from the PCB. All other wires and connectors can be connected in any order that you want. Leave the PCB battery connector to the very last.

Okay. . This is the order I did it when it went kaboom . That’s why I ask . Everything connected . Then went to connect the xt60 to the pcb and boom. So I did do it right ...but it still blew ?

1 minute ago, Scott Henley said:

Okay. . This is the order I did it when it went kaboom . That’s why I ask . Everything connected . Then went to connect the xt60 to the pcb and boom. So I did do it right ...but it still blew ?

Really??? I thought somewhere earlier in this thread that you said the opposite. This really does not make sense. @KingSong69, what do you think of this last comment?

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Really??? I thought somewhere earlier in this thread that you said the opposite. This really does not make sense. @KingSong69, what do you think of this last comment?

No the thin red wires were already connected ...the one going to the charger and the other one ...the xt was my last plug in ...boom

3 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

No the thin red wires were already connected ...the one going to the charger and the other one ...the xt was my last plug in ...boom

I'm afraid that I have nothing to add then. To my understanding this sequence should not be a problem and has not been a problem with the many times that I've done it.

:confused1:

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm afraid that I have nothing to add then. To my understanding this sequence should not be a problem and has not been a problem with the many times that I've done it.

:confused1:

Well. We will see when I get home and solder the connections back . I’ll do this same sequence and hope for a better outcome . :cry2:

26 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I asked because i have to do this job(connecting ONE pack to the other) in the near future...

The answer is what i exspected....The only reason for a massive spark i can imagine is that the "balancer" cable was allready connected.

I dont know exactly what this cable does...but I ! would connect at first the xt60 cable......

19 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I asked because i have to do this job(connecting ONE pack to the other) in the near future...

The answer is what i exspected....The only reason for a massive spark i can imagine is that the "balancer" cable was allready connected.

I dont know exactly what this cable does...but I ! would connect at first the xt60 cable......

When you say the "Balancer cable", you mean those small gauge wires that go between the battery packs?

Now I am confused. I've always connect those cables first, then the batteries, and finally the PCB battery connector. Never a problem.

But you are suggesting that the "Balancer cables" should be connected at the very last???

53 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Ah. Okay. So you’re saying . The charge cable is okay...then the xt ...then the other little black and red with black plug (looks like the charge cable )...balancer 

2 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Ah. Okay. So you’re saying . The charge cable is okay...then the xt ...then the other little black and red with black plug (looks like the charge cable )...balancer 

Just to potentially confuse you more, watch this tear-down and re-build video by Speedyfeet. It's for the MSuper, but it's the same as the ACM (and Monster)

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Just to potentially confuse you more, watch this tear-down and re-build video by Speedyfeet. It's for the MSuper, but it's the same as the ACM (and Monster)

Haha. Okay . So much to consider here . I’m on my way home now so the repair is looking 

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

When you say the "Balancer cable", you mean those small gauge wires that go between the battery packs?

Now I am confused. I've always connect those cables first, then the batteries, and finally the PCB battery connector. Never a problem.

But you are suggesting that the "Balancer cables" should be connected at the very last???

Yes, i would say so...

But who am i ? Its just that i would connect the real power plug first....but who knows....

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

I just reconnected my ACM packs an hour ago. The 4 BMS cables can be connected at any time. My method:

1) connect the 2 BMS connectors and then the XT 60 connector on the non mainboard side first. Secure your side cover. 

2 flip your wheel over and connect the other two BMS connectors and then the other XT 60 battery pack connector. *** Not the connector going to the mainboard**** 

3) once all of the other battery and BMS cables are fastened you can now connect the mainboard to the battery packs.**** Be deliberate when you connect these together. Sometimes there is a small spark. Be sure both the male and female xt 60 connectors are position correctly before trying to insert them together or your could end up with a huge arc.  

Wear leather gloves if you are unsure ir worried. I still wear them when connecti g packs just to be safe. 

13 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

New xt60’s...now to connect it all up ....:laughbounce2:

image.jpg

Nice job!!!

Archived