THE HELMET THREAD

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, litewave said:

The Bell MX-9 Adventure is heavy, weighing in at 1.7kg. Over the years, I think there has been a general consensus that 1kg is the median weight for the community. The TSG Pass is in the 1100g range. The modular helmets are much heavier. Most riders would probably agree that motorcycle street helmets are overkill and have poor visibility. 

Many of us who began riding on older, slower wheels in ancient times (2016-2018) started with the Bell Super 3R and later the Air and DH. They are supremely light, have MIPS, have fantastic ventilation, and the DH is downhill-rated. However, they are probably not recommended by most for street riding above 30 mph. 

Also, the Troy Lee helmets should be considered. The DH4 (~1050g) and SE4-5 carbon (~1250g) models can be had starting in the $200 (DH4) to $300 (SE4) range on sale. However, I seem to be the only one wearing them! :lol:

To sum it up, there is no real starter helmet anymore, now that EUCs have evolved for multiple use cases. Determine your criteria and take the plunge on your first one. You will eventually buy another one or ten anyway.

litewave, thanks for the additional things to look at. Yes, I was looking at a helmet that was closer to the 1100g range.  The Bell Super 3R looks more like a downhill mountain bike helmet with CSPS Safety Standard? Wouldn't be much different then a TSG Pass, no? I like the open air, but I will eventually be riding my Extreme at well over 30mph, probably 40 eventually, so yeah, probably not enough protection at those speeds?  The SE4 looks to be around 1500g, so a little lighter than the bell, but not by a lot. Troy Lee Designs SE4 Carbon Flash Helmet I can pick up a Used in Good Condition for $260.00. At 1325 grams that seems to be a decent deal? Otherwise, its like $399.  Its really hard to choose. I am a buy once, cry once kind of person, so whatever the best recommended item, is usually what I go with (within reason), I am not a first time adopter though.

I went and pulled the trigger on the Troy Lee SE4 Carbon with MIPs for $260. If I don't like I can always return it. Seems to be a good compromise. Only thing I think missing would be a visor, but I wear sunglasses all the time anyways.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by Brutal-Force

Posted (edited)

I own both the TSG Pass Pro carbon (no longer available) and Bell Super 3R, and a bunch of TLD helmets as well. The Bell Super weighs around 750g. It is hands-down the better of the two for hot summer weather. The TSG Pass is claustrophobic but has the coolest looks; I bought it for cooler weather in the Midwest. I wear it only a few times  per year when it gets cold in the southeast. I think you would regret buying it for Florida, to be honest. The Super 3R looks dated and out-of-style to me, so I use it as a loaner.

The SE4 carbon is about 200g lighter than the composite SE4. The SE5 carbon is even a little lighter but expensive. The SE helmets are bulbous compared to the DH4. Still, I love most of the TL Designs.

If the used SE4 hasn't been crashed and is in near-new condition, then I'd say go for it: it's probably a good deal.

This is my current favorite summer helmet.

610sXJQZRRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by litewave

1 minute ago, litewave said:

I own both the TSG Pass Pro carbon (no longer available) and Bell Super 3R, and a bunch of TLD helmets as well. The Bell Super weighs around 750g. It is hands-down the better of the two for hot summer weather. The TSG Pass is claustrophobic but has the coolest looks; I bought it for cooler weather in the Midwest. I wear it only a few times  per year when it gets cold in the southeast. I think you would regret buying it for Florida, to be honest. The Super 3R looks dated and out-of-style to me, so I use it as a loaner.

The SE4 carbon is about 200-200g lighter than the composite SE4. The SE5 carbon is even a little lighter but expensive. The SE helmets are bulbous compared to the DH4. Still, I love most of the TL Designs.

If the used SE4 hasn't been crashed and is in near-new condition, then I'd say go for it, it's probably a good deal.

This is my current favorite summer helmet.

610sXJQZRRL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, I pulled the trigger. The one I ordered is a display item. $260 for the SE4 seems like a deal.

image.thumb.jpeg.4d2c25e249976cf90f0b95f1b0bf5a95.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Brutal-Force said:

Thanks. Yeah, I pulled the trigger. The one I ordered is a display item. $260 for the SE4 seems like a deal.

image.thumb.jpeg.4d2c25e249976cf90f0b95f1b0bf5a95.jpeg

FYI, the DH4 and SE helmets tend to run a little small and will take a few months of regular wear to break in.

On 5/10/2024 at 8:48 PM, litewave said:

FYI, the DH4 and SE helmets tend to run a little small and will take a few months of regular wear to break in.

Well, I recieved my SE-4 Carbon and fits just right. I was pleasantly surprised it came with a carrying Duffel Bag (not just a cloth bag) and an extra visor. It said like Condition: Used - Very Good - Blemished; display model; may have surface blemishes from being handled or installed in showroom

It looks brand new, never taken out of the box. In my size, an Amazon purchase should have been $399 for the Carbon. So I feel like I got a good helmet and a good deal.

Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brutal-Force said:

Well, I recieved my SE-4 Carbon and fits just right. I was pleasantly surprised it came with a carrying Duffel Bag (not just a cloth bag) and an extra visor. It said like Condition: Used - Very Good - Blemished; display model; may have surface blemishes from being handled or installed in showroom

It looks brand new, never taken out of the box. In my size, an Amazon purchase should have been $399 for the Carbon. So I feel like I got a good helmet and a good deal.

Thanks for the tip.

You got a great deal!

I snagged a new SE-5 for $139 last year on Amazon, that is now selling for $549. Sellers will heavily discount helmets that aren't selling well at the moment, so keep an eye out if there are any other designs you really like. Troy Lee also heavily discounts helmets on their site from time to time.

FYI, you can buy different cheek pads to adjust the fit from TLD, eBay, and sometimes Amazon. I purchased thinner sets for the large D4s I own.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 17.42.46.png

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, litewave said:

You got a great deal!

I snagged a new SE-5 for $139 last year on Amazon, that is now selling for $549. Sellers will heavily discount helmets that aren't selling well at the moment, so keep an eye out if there are any other designs you really like. Troy Lee also heavily discounts helmets on their site from time to time.

FYI, you can buy different cheek pads to adjust the fit from TLD, eBay, and sometimes Amazon. I purchased thinner sets for the large D4s I own.

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 17.42.46.png

Thanks, good to know. My Cheekpads will probably need some breaking in (or maybe a little thinner) they are definitely pushing in on my jaw.

Big difference between the SE4 and SE5? Was the SE5 you got a Carbon? The SE5 doesn't look a whole lot different and the weight looks the same too.

Edited by Brutal-Force

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Brutal-Force said:

Thanks, good to know. My Cheekpads will probably need some breaking in (or maybe a little thinner) they are definitely pushing in on my jaw.

Big difference between the SE4 and SE5? Was the SE5 you got a Carbon? The SE5 doesn't look a whole lot different and the weight looks the same too.

The differences between the SE4 and 5 are minor, in my opinion. The product announcement from TLD was that the SE5 has improved safety and performance technology in a lightweight design, whatever that means. This reviewer said the main differences are weight and comfort - I would agree. The SE5 fits better, but the SE4 fit is very good, too!

My SE5 is composite, and the SE4 is polyacrylite. They both weigh about the same: 1470g vs. 1575g. I wanted a carbon helmet but could not find one in a design/color I liked. I definitely prefer the look and weight of the D4 (1000g) to the SEs, but wear the SEs if riding on the road above 30mph. I also like the overall design and muzzle of the SE4 better than the SE5. Below are the D4 carbon and SE models.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f88eacdf5e892e05f2139f5e1cfc053.jpeg

TLDhelmets2.jpeg

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, litewave said:

The differences between the SE4 and 5 are minor, in my opinion. The product announcement from TLD was that the SE5 has improved safety and performance technology in a lightweight design, whatever that means. This reviewer said the main differences are weight and comfort - I would agree. The SE5 fits better, but the SE4 fit is very good, too!

My SE5 is composite, and the SE4 is polyacrylite. They both weigh about the same: 1470g vs. 1575g. I wanted a carbon helmet but could not find one in a design/color I liked. I definitely prefer the look and weight of the D4 (1000g) to the SEs, but wear the SEs if riding on the road above 30mph. I also like the overall design and muzzle of the SE4 better than the SE5. Below are the D4 carbon and SE models.

image.thumb.jpeg.2f88eacdf5e892e05f2139f5e1cfc053.jpeg

TLDhelmets2.jpeg

Thanks for the input. So if I understand you right, I made a good choice as long as I like the fit and colorways?  Who doesn't like bumblebee :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.png.82be20c49d591695faf393e5fee2792d.png

Gordon Ramsay's life was saved by a helmet. With this amount of damage, it's almost certain no helmet would mean a shattered skull.
Kinda sad he didn't share details of what exactly happened, that's a gigantic bruise... Did a car hit him?

• 2 weeks later...

Troy Lee Designs has a Fourth-of-July sale today on select bike and moto gear - up to 40% off!

Thought still pricey, the top end gear is now easier to afford. Several SE5 carbon helmets are marked down from $749 to $449, for example. They also offer free 2-day shipping (in the US, not sure about elsewhere in the world).

Posted (edited)

I would suggest looking at last years offerings on Amazon (TLD sells on Amazon). I picked up my TLD SE4 Carbon for $252.70, and my TLD Stage for $215.00. I also picked up some Oakley Airbrake MX TLD Quattro for $86.54.

Not sure of your Location "NA" if that means Not Applicable, but if you are in a cooler climate, go with the SE4 Carbon.

SE4 Carbon Midnight Black for $270.00 https://www.amazon.com/SE4-CARBON-MIDNIGHT-BLACK-CHROME/dp/B087F5Z71K/ref=sr_1_4?crid=26D86GOSSMYLV&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.aHTXDgDbY13csalKhMwY_9igNsQQI5VoNpMvE9GjX0Mcqvo0wLegMAlxUhcAjWyb-_3ZNvIStp4nMnXJDwtCSXAlbt5E-fN3fxVtPzfO1vUfq2kobMfLKHgEYPnLXmA0pAlgcdJcFF4UXNE1NZOJVRa0mYrqPF92a-q9UItx3d2bex80V-VjF-QbIw6VDNL3JrdWU5OT4i50uq-MzcOeNg.9BMdlhoH71gjrHYmfYf1SLEKXjyNkzSgsRQ4nu_Y5oQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=SE4+carbon&qid=1720103823&sprefix=se4+carbon%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-4

image.thumb.png.ed3a8f153d091753a43aff3962f34fbe.png

Edited by Brutal-Force

Agreed. I have purchased a few TLD helmets (DH4 and SE4) at significant discounts from third-party sellers on Amazon. The catch is that most all the designs that are marked down are designs and/or sizes that are not popular and did not sell. So if you want all black in the summer time, this is a good deal!

Otherwise, this TLD sale is really good for it's latest and most fashionable gear.

2 minutes ago, litewave said:

Agreed. I have purchased a few TLD helmets (DH4 and SE4) at significant discounts from third-party sellers on Amazon. The catch is that most all the designs that are marked down are designs and/or sizes that are not popular and did not sell. So if you want all black in the summer time, this is a good deal!

Otherwise, this TLD sale is really good for it's latest and most fashionable gear.

I appreciate you turning me on to them. They are legit.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Been out of the loop on the community for a while since the wheels have gotten more and more insane. What's the common wisdom for riding at maximum 35mph? I ride the RS. Most rides darkness bot says I never go over 30. Should I be looking at a full blown motorcycle helmet? Right now I use this https://a.co/d/eKQorVb

41 minutes ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Been out of the loop on the community for a while since the wheels have gotten more and more insane. What's the common wisdom for riding at maximum 35mph? I ride the RS. Most rides darkness bot says I never go over 30. Should I be looking at a full blown motorcycle helmet? Right now I use this https://a.co/d/eKQorVb

If you ride on the road with traffic, yes, get a motorcycle helmet. If mostly trails, I think a high-end mountain bike (TLD D4) or, even better, a motocross helmet (TLD SE 4/5) will suffice. 

19 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

Btw, I noticed you are using the Demon Freeride helmet. I own that helmet and used it for a month or two but regret buying it. I bought it for the looks and price since I got it on sale as an open-box return. In my opinion, it is not adequate or safe for EUCs.

I hope you upgrade to a better helmet asap. If you must have a convertible, consider the Bell Super 3R (my first full-face), Air, or DH, or Giro Switchblade. They are all much better and safer. If you want a low-cost option, the Demon Podium should be minimally-acceptable.

In my experience, September is perhaps the best time of year to find good deals on helmets at Amazon or even the manufacturer's sites.

1 hour ago, litewave said:

Btw, I noticed you are using the Demon Freeride helmet. I own that helmet and used it for a month or two but regret buying it. I bought it for the looks and price since I got it on sale as an open-box return. In my opinion, it is not adequate or safe for EUCs.

I've ordered the iXS TRIGGER for under $200 yesterday. The Demon being a convertible was mostly incidental. At the time I didn't want to spend $300+ on a Proframe and wanted something cheap with a lot of ventilation. I agree on the inadequacy of that helmet, the connection mechanism for the chin bar is sketchy as hell. I've never even used it without the chin bar.

Edited by I_Must_Bust

19 hours ago, I_Must_Bust said:

I've ordered the iXS TRIGGER for under $200 yesterday. The Demon being a convertible was mostly incidental. At the time I didn't want to spend $300+ on a Proframe and wanted something cheap with a lot of ventilation. I agree on the inadequacy of that helmet, the connection mechanism for the chin bar is sketchy as hell. I've never even used it without the chin bar.

Ixs trigger FF is the best I've used. Under 600 grams, perfectly ventilated and very adequate helmet. I've fallen straight face down with it on the pavement with no injuries after.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Aztek said:

Ixs trigger FF is the best I've used. Under 600 grams, perfectly ventilated and very adequate helmet. I've fallen straight face down with it on the pavement with no injuries after.

I just got it in today and got it adjusted. I was shocked at how light it is! Can't wait to ride with it this weekend.

• Like 1