Is it possible to strengthen the Monster’s shell?

Sketch

I think eventually I’ll buy a Monster.  It may be when a version 2 comes out... not sure. One thing that bothers me about it is how fragile the shell is when taken a minor spill because of its weight.  Do you think anything could be sprayed onto the shell to make it more durable.  I was thinking about some truck bed liner spray or some kind of rubberized spray that may give it more durability.  Just curious if anyone gave a DIY solution some thought.  Since Gotway seems to have removed the spin out off destruction when the wheels go on their side.  This might help with future Monster shell damage.

There's a 20 inch Gotway coming I believe, might be the Monster replacement.

About your question, I have 2 ideas:

• (Spray) adhesive and glue something soft onto it. May be the baby foam stuff or anything else that cushions. But my guess it has to cushion quite a bit, not sure if something like a coat of plastidip would be enough to prevent anything worse than surface scratches. More like a 2+mm rubber mat of so. Maybe this stuff (price warning):
  • If you want to do it nice and professional looking (and not looking like a wheel with random stuff stuck to it), you could reinforce the entire shell with fiberglass. Quite a lot of work and cost, though... disassemble the wheel, sand the shell to remove the paint, fiberglass it, prime and paint the fiberglass, not sure what other steps are needed so this works, never done any fiberglass work. But a few mm of fiberglass should be bombproof. And nice shiny white coated fiberglass (think boat) gives you a nice empty canvas for custom-painting the wheel.

2 options from each end of the effort scale:efee47c9c8:

Be advised reinforcing the shell would not make the support points less susceptible to damage. That is, if the shell is held by, say, four itty bitty screws on top of a tiny platform, the structure will still bend/crack.

3 hours ago, Sketch said:

I think eventually I’ll buy a Monster.  It may be when a version 2 comes out... not sure. One thing that bothers me about it is how fragile the shell is when taken a minor spill because of its weight.  Do you think anything could be sprayed onto the shell to make it more durable.  I was thinking about some truck bed liner spray or some kind of rubberized spray that may give it more durability.  Just curious if anyone gave a DIY solution some thought.  Since Gotway seems to have removed the spin out off destruction when the wheels go on their side.  This might help with future Monster shell damage.

I have seen @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" drop his wheel many times, including this morning. The thing has truly taken a beating. Still works like a champ and I don't think his shell has broken yet.

And get this. Today during the group ride he misjudged the depth of a river and the water went up to his knees. The Monster stopped and fell over, totally submerged in knee high water.

We opened it up and tried shaking most of the water out. After about 20-minutes it started balancing again and we eventually rode another 15-miles.

Don't be too concerned about the durability of the Monster. It's tough :)

Thanks for your input guys.  The motorcycle tank pads seem like a good option.  I like the look of those. I forgot about the screws being a little weak on n the Monster.  Good to hear that Jeff has had success with his.  I’m sure he is pretty hard on it and doesn’t baby it.  That’s amazing that it was fully submerged in water today and kept running.  

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I have seen @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" drop his wheel many times, including this morning. The thing has truly taken a beating. Still works like a champ and I don't think his shell has broken yet.

And get this. Today during the group ride he misjudged the depth of a river and the water went up to his knees. The Monster stopped and fell over, totally submerged in knee high water.

We opened it up and tried shaking most of the water out. After about 20-minutes it started balancing again and we eventually rode another 15-miles.

Don't be too concerned about the durability of the Monster. It's tough :)

Fantastic... please post a link to the video! :D

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Fantastic... please post a link to the video! :D

Unfortunately there is no video. @Marty Backe brought along his new 4K video cam to document our ride but forgot to charge the battery so it didn't record much.But the Monster was totally submerged for a couple seconds and came back to life after about 20min.TODAY GOTWAY GETS AN ATTIBOY!:) Now it works as usual and you could never tell it was under water.

4 hours ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Unfortunately there is no video. @Marty Backe brought along his new 4K video cam to document our ride but forgot to charge the battery so it didn't record much.But the Monster was totally submerged for a couple seconds and came back to life after about 20min.TODAY GOTWAY GETS AN ATTIBOY!:) Now it works as usual and you could never tell it was under water.

And it's clean now too! 

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:38 PM, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

Good news @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" - Although there is no video, I managed to pull a single still off @Marty Backe's memory card...

Monster Ford.jpg

I'm thinking this is just before when your monster stopped.

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Good news @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" - Although there is no video, I managed to pull a single still off @Marty Backe's memory card...

Monster Ford.jpg

I'm thinking this is just before when your monster stopped.

That, is fantastic! :D I love it.

Archived