Jump to content

Kingsong 16 S, what set up do you use?


Barone Cornadure
 Share

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Barone Cornadure said:

Someone can answer me, please?

That is very important for me.

Thank you.

I use both player mode and riding mode, depending on how much agility I need.

If I need more agility then I use riding mode as that allows the wheel to move along with me on the legs, and doesn't rub. I can clamp down on the upper pads and force the wheel to come along with me. I like the wheel to tilt along with me.

If I'm just normally riding then I use player mode, and then the wheel floats in a relaxed manner between my legs, and I use this mode when I'm strolling around the park 6-10 mph.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Barone Cornadure said:

Other opinions, please ?

Its your riding experience - so try them out snd what you like most.

I'm mostly in players mode and tried from time to time riding mode cause quite some people stated that this should be better to accelerate up inclines...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I would use the hardest Player mode the most, but it has about a 5km penalty on the battery range. Therefore I mainly use the medium Riding mode. I only use Player mode on difficult uneven paths with roots and such, as it gets me over the obstacles with less effort and in better balance.

I have recently started feeling that the medium Riding mode might be more comfortable on smaller bumps on paved roads.

A few weeks ago Justina wrote that KingSong is almost done with a new firmware for the 16S with improvements (or additions?) on the riding modes. I'm excited to see what they came up with!

Edited by mrelwood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started with Player Mode, but then switched to Riding Mode, as I noticed it seems to help me with accelerating up steeper inclines, and isn't too soft. Maybe I should try again with the Player Mode to see if the initial acceleration issues might have been down just to lack of experience with the new wheel.

Edited by esaj
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Player and rider modes are so different that I ride quite differently, and so I wish I could change modes on the fly. Instead, I have to stop the wheel, lean it against something, turn on the application, switch modes, then roll the wheel back and forth just to be sure the change took (it fails half the time), then get back on the damned wheel!

Admitedlt that takes under 20 seconds but still...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Player and rider modes are so different that I ride quite differently, and so I wish I could change modes on the fly. Instead, I have to stop the wheel, lean it against something, turn on the application, switch modes, then roll the wheel back and forth just to be sure the change took (it fails half the time), then get back on the damned wheel!

Admitedlt that takes under 20 seconds but still...

My wheel changes mode instantly.

I can feel the difference flicking through the different modes while driving at full speed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Player and rider modes are so different that I ride quite differently, and so I wish I could change modes on the fly. Instead, I have to stop the wheel, lean it against something, turn on the application, switch modes, then roll the wheel back and forth just to be sure the change took (it fails half the time), then get back on the damned wheel!

Admitedlt that takes under 20 seconds but still...

I'm using player mode in 95% of my rides.

Just when I go up very steep hills, especially offroad, I change to riding mode, because I have the impression that it allows me to get out more torque of the wheel.

BTW, the Kingsong app (at least the old one) allows you to change the modes on the fly, while you are riding. Try it out, it works!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I found out this morning that I can change modes on the fly but...and it's a big but, my KS application keeps crashing whenever the orientation of my phone (Alcatel 4s) changes.

I wonder if the bluetooth transmitter on my KS16 is starting to fritz out, as it often drops and just putting my phone in my pocket interrupts music. Even just braking hard makes the music temporarily drop/crackle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I found out this morning that I can change modes on the fly but...and it's a big but, my KS application keeps crashing whenever the orientation of my phone (Alcatel 4s) changes.

Yes, this is unfortunately an old bug of the Kingsong app.  I circumvented it by locking the phone in portrait mode, so that orientation cannot change.

 

12 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I wonder if the bluetooth transmitter on my KS16 is starting to fritz out, as it often drops and just putting my phone in my pocket interrupts music. Even just braking hard makes the music temporarily drop/crackle.

That's strange, I never experienced that. Maybe it's worth a try with another phone, to make sure it is not a problem on the phone side ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23.9.2017 at 8:41 PM, esaj said:

I started with Player Mode, but then switched to Riding Mode, as I noticed it seems to help me with accelerating up steeper inclines, and isn't too soft. Maybe I should try again with the Player Mode to see if the initial acceleration issues might have been down just to lack of experience with the new wheel.

I switched to Riding Mode for the same reason, but retried Player Mode recently, for a few weeks. I had less problems with acceleration now, but going up steeper hills still requires significant effort to get the wheel going. On the plus side, the dead band of the pedals is reduced in Player Mode.

Today, I was annoyed going uphill in Player Mode and switched back to Riding Mode mid-ride, to see how big the difference would be. I could immediately feel the pedals tilting forward and the wheel picking up more speed with less effort, while I did not change anything regarding my own riding position or force on the pedals. So, it's back to Riding Mode for me.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I get speed wobbles on the riding mode when braking (only) from nearly the top speed, but other than that I prefer the softer riding mode.

Interestingly, the range of the wheel is drastically reduced when riding in player mode, it feels like in riding mode the battery just goes on and on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 07/10/2017 at 4:34 AM, LanghamP said:

I get speed wobbles on the riding mode when braking (only) from nearly the top speed, but other than that I prefer the softer riding mode.

Weight balancing the wheel might help with the wobble:

 

Quote

Interestingly, the range of the wheel is drastically reduced when riding in player mode, it feels like in riding mode the battery just goes on and on.

I have noticed the same, range is about 5km shorter. Thinking about it further it actually makes sense. If some tilt is allowed, the motor doesn't need to react as fast and with as much power. By the time a looser mode starts to accelerate with more power, a lot of the smallest bumps have been passed with mostly just kinetic energy. If no tilt is allowed, the motor accelerates drawing more power at every little inconsistency of the road.

If you hold a foot long stick horizontal in your fist and hit down on the end of the stick with your other hand, you don't need much strength to hold the stick in your fist. But if you try to keep the stick level while you hit it, you need to hold the stick with a lot of force.

Edited by mrelwood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...