KS16S overvoltage and vibrations?

Circuitmage

I'm working with my local retailer on this, but I'm getting several instances where I'm either going slow or stopping and my unit starts vibrating, flashing yellow and stating overvoltage. I cannot power it off, and the only thing I can do to stop it is turn it sideways.

Then it won't power on for 5 mins.

In my first 17km it has happened 4 times.

Anyone else see that?

Just a follow up.

I met with our local KS dealer, he quickly duplicated the issues I was having with my (new) unit. And he had a "loaner" for me to use while he's working on my problem.

The morning before meeting with him, I thought I'd try it one more time, on about a 3 mile ride. About 1 mile in, it did it again and took 7 mins to restart. About 1.5 miles later, 3 block from home, it did it again. This time it happened while I was moving about 10mph! Moderately scary. I was still able to jump off, without dropping unit, but this time it took 3 tries tilting it 90degrees to get it to stop. At that point, I pulled out the handle and walked it home!

So, overall, it happened 8 times in about 20 km. Seemed to happen after the unit warmed up, and you started slowing down to stopping. App showed it over 40 deg, and "refrigeration" was kicking in when I monitered it, and did not have any high speed problems.

Very happy to have a good local dealer that is quickly addressing the issue.

Also went on short 30-45 minute ride with dealer.

8 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Just a follow up.

I met with our local KS dealer, he quickly duplicated the issues I was having with my (new) unit. And he had a "loaner" for me to use while he's working on my problem.

The morning before meeting with him, I thought I'd try it one more time, on about a 3 mile ride. About 1 mile in, it did it again and took 7 mins to restart. About 1.5 miles later, 3 block from home, it did it again. This time it happened while I was moving about 10mph! Moderately scary. I was still able to jump off, without dropping unit, but this time it took 3 tries tilting it 90degrees to get it to stop. At that point, I pulled out the handle and walked it home!

So, overall, it happened 8 times in about 20 km. Seemed to happen after the unit warmed up, and you started slowing down to stopping. App showed it over 40 deg, and "refrigeration" was kicking in when I monitered it, and did not have any high speed problems.

Very happy to have a good local dealer that is quickly addressing the issue.

Also went on short 30-45 minute ride with dealer.

I might have missed it before, do you have a link to the dealer?  

So I took video of the issue along with the app not to only show Kingsong but for anybody else that might have this issue.

Kingsong told me that it's a control board problem so I'll be replacing it with a new one once I receive it. From looking at the battery level when the wheel goes crazy, it seems it thinks the voltage level is higher than 67 volts. It would explain why it would say "over power" and "over wattage", but still don't understand why it would cause the major shaking issue and spin at max RPM forever.

20 minutes ago, Michael Vu said:

So I took video of the issue along with the app not to only show Kingsong but for anybody else that might have this issue.

Kingsong told me that it's a control board problem so I'll be replacing it with a new one once I receive it. From looking at the battery level when the wheel goes crazy, it seems it thinks the voltage level is higher than 67 volts. It would explain why it would say "over power" and "over wattage", but still don't understand why it would cause the major shaking issue and spin at max RPM forever.

Wow, that's some weird behaviour!  Good video showing exactly what it's doing.  It's good that you are getting a new board.  I wonder if unplugging the batteries and pressing the power switch to drain the capacitors would reset it?  Probably not, something is looking defective.

Maybe the shaking and spinning at max RPM forever is a way to drain the battery to a safe charge level?   But it doesn't help because the board is faulty?

@Michael Vu Nice. Documented. Thanks!

For viewers, skip to 1 minute in to see the action. That's what it did to me 8 times. How did I every survive 15 Km on that thing?! After the power off it shuts down for more than 5 minutes, which means you are stranded, even if you dare ride it again! Hope they put some FW update or other fix in for that.

I put 10 miles on the loaner yesterday. Not used to that much riding, but it was fun. Good to know how the KS16S is supposed to work. 

My 10 minute drive to the train station is now a 10 minute EUC ride, plus I don't usually have to wait on traffic/lights/construction crews, etc. 

And my 15 minute walk downtown is now a 3.5 minute ride on my EUC! Saving me more than 20 minutes a day!

I think I will remove that foam when I get my unit back!

Thats what i call a failfunction :-)

The part where it trys to tilt the pedals back is „normal“ reaction on overvoltage....but it should to that without vibrating :-) and spinning....

As it makes a big jump from 80 to 100%...the voltage reading seams to have a defect (and for sure some other board parts).

So good that you have a reputated seller, Respect to michael!

12 hours ago, kasenutty said:

What does Overvottage mean? 

It means that the wheel is reading a voltage level higher than 67 volts. This normally happens when you brake hard or go downhill while your wheel is nearly charged to 100%. In this case though the battery was well below 100% at around 80%, but the wheel incorrectly read 100% (or something above it) causing the vocal warnings. However overvoltage shouldn't cause the shaking and run away speed issues.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:44 PM, Michael Vu said:

That warning voice sounds ominous! Hope I never experience that erratic behavior.  You are one brave man in that compromising position!:)

36578699763_7e1d884345_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Michael Vu returned my KS16S today and it is running great. He also test rode it for 20 miles to ensure it was working.

And, the loaner he let me use during this time was awesome. The last couple of weeks on it has reaffirmed my decision as a great choice to go with the KS16S.

I'm very happy to have local support for this while this was going on!

Archived