The fear of falling.

LanghamP

Well this is the incline I was talking about - looking downwards:

paradise-hill.thumb.jpg.f87c487ae8ca68d15278dcd11fc7d4bb.jpg

Seeing it like this, it doesn't look that intimidating :D

But it is pretty steep and rather longish, wouldn't want to pop a FET.

7 hours ago, Scatcat said:

That "crawl up the hill" thingie... Isn't it less than ideal to go slow uphill?

When I look at amp-draw in my app, it seems to spike if I crawl uphill, but stay more reasonable if I just continue as if I was on flat ground. As the incline starts, I will of course slow down a bit naturally, but I don't slow down more than that on purpose. Neither do I try to push it to keep the speed up, at least not more than I would to accelerate moderately on flat ground.

If I come in too slow, I feel I have a tendency to push it harder, maybe that has something to do with the amp-draw? While coming in at normal speed, it just seems effortless.

Well, except for one hill in the woods here, which is somewhere around 35-40°, that is NOT an effortless uphill ride, whatever speed I start out with... :D 

Good to know Scat.  Personally its also a safety thing for me as well.  If I'm going slow and the board cuts out I have a better chance of not getting seriously injured.  I have almost no fear of flat ground but I can't bring myself to fly up a hill and risk more serious injury.  That's not to say it couldn't happen on flat ground, just that I'm aware of the overheat issue when climbing and choose to pick and choose my spots.  

7 hours ago, KalSeth said:

@Acturbo

I just opened Gotway app to check.  I don't have many settings.  

Ride Mode: Powerful

Tiltback speed: Off

Audio Alarm speed >32km/h

Speed Divider??? Set to Default 1.  People say Gotway misreports the true speed so this looks like the something to adjust to actual?

Vibration Alarm

Enable: I think this is supposed to vibrate phone?  I had these set to 32 for all three but just turned them off as I never feel any vibrations.

Looking up the App Info it says I am using version 1.0.2-beta, App size is 2.25MB

Hmmm.  I'm using version 2.12.  Maybe I need to find the older app.  What type of device are you using?  Android or Iphone?

2 hours ago, KalSeth said:

Android only.  LG G4

Not sure where I got the app from.

Thanks for the help Kal.  A simple google search and I was able to find it.  I'll give it a shot and see if it works better.

If anyone else needs the app and can't find it, follow the link in the thread I have attached.  

On 26.7.2017 at 8:21 PM, KalSeth said:

@Acturbo  After 300km on the wheel I used the Gotway app to turn off Tilt back.  I can't believe the difference!  

I used to be constantly fighting that feature.  I didn't realize how awful it was until I disabled it as a test. Now there is no going back to using it.

Since I no longer have Tilt back I did enable the speed warnings beeps, god they are annoying.  After some further testing I set all three warnings to 32km/h.

The wheel is now near perfect for my use.

This is a feature which I would like also on my Kingsong. I think the beeps at 30 km/h (or 35 on the 16S) would be enough.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:35 AM, LanghamP said:

I noticed after a couple of high-speed overlean crashes I pretty much cruise at 12.5 miles per hour. Going uphill, 12.5 mph, downhill 12.5, sidewalk 12.5, grass and gravel 12.5, road 12.5. Pretty much everywhere I park it at 12.5 mph. It's the speed where a runoff is scary but doable. 

I see a possible book opportunity here... :w00t2:

721891_fear.jpg

Typical EUC rider:

We discuss fear of crashing and it ends up riders asking questions on how to disable the mechanisms to prevent exactly that.

(But I got the speed code to disable the KS16S beginner mode after telling myself not to do that.)

8 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Typical EUC rider:

We discuss fear of crashing and it ends up riders asking questions on how to disable the mechanisms to prevent exactly that.

(But I got the speed code to disable the KS16S beginner mode after telling myself not to do that.)

We are insane, the speed ate our brain, and now we try to tell ourselves to act like adults - all in vain.

50 minutes ago, Scatcat said:

We are insane, the speed ate our brain, and now we try to tell ourselves to act like adults - all in vain.

Hm, did I already confess here, that I'm still a child ?

Maybe 58 years old, but still a child. :D 

E.g. I remember when I entered a highway in a borrowed Tesla P90D for the first time, and, looking at the speedometer after only a few seconds, it displayed 240 km/h, I just thought "Oops", and not how bad I am, or which law I'm breaking now, or how much it would cost if police catches me.

So it looks like I never grew up after being 10 years old, I still seem to be a bad, bad boy, and that's also the reason why I'm riding an EUC, this dangerous, absolutely illegal electric device, which terrifies all the old ladies I'm passing by.

Don't use me as a role model, or you'll end up as a terrorist !

7 hours ago, HermanTheGerman said:

E.g. I remember when I entered a highway in a borrowed Tesla P90D for the first time, and, looking at the speedometer after only a few seconds, it displayed 240 km/h, I just thought "Oops", and not how bad I am, or which law I'm breaking now, or how much it would cost if police catches me.

So it looks like I never grew up after being 10 years old, I still seem to be a bad, bad boy, and that's also the reason why I'm riding an EUC, this dangerous, absolutely illegal electric device, which terrifies all the old ladies I'm passing by.

I am 50 and a firm subscriber to the idea that we men mature until age six, then we just grow... ;) 

1 hour ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Plus one here B)

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I am 50 and a firm subscriber to the idea that we men mature until age six, then we just grow... ;) 

This is incorrect; men are mature when they make their own money instead of being taken care of.

Oddly enough, men are perceived as immature helpless creatures by this society when they get married although the vast majority of dollars brought into families are earned by the husband. Strange times we live in when some men have to ask permission from their wives to spend the money they make...

4 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

My last fall has taken out the fun.  Now I don't feel secure on the wheel and thinking about how to jump off if something happens.  I guess I've loss my faith in the wheel for now.  I hope it comes back.

Your comment resonates for me, @CaptainKBLS.  It took me a good long while to regain some confidence after my worst fall.  Maybe what helped me the most, and still it wasn't easy, was making damned sure I understand exactly why I had that fall.  In my case it was my fault, and I don't ride like that anymore.  But still, it was a good long while before I started to get over it. 

If I fall and it is user error, then it does not bother me.  I assess what I did wrong and nurse my bruises and move on.

If it was a wheel fault that could happen at any time for no reason then I would be less keen.

Fortunately, all falls have been my fault so far, and no permanent damage. 

Archived