Helmet options

Ok, so last week I started looking at alternative helmets and reading some discussions here about bicycle helmets limiting coverage on the side/front. I wearing a fairly nice Specialized bike helmet now, but considering other options. I don't want to wear my MC helmet, and granted "any helmet looks dorky". But, I believe in safety, and having a good head.

After reading some comments last week I found a pretty nifty red, full coverage helmet with removable full face visor for $55. I wanted to take another look at it but cannot find it! And I've searched through the comments here a couple times. I thought it was on aliexpress, but searched there a couple times with no luck. Losing a link is like misplacing your keys! Grrrr.

So, if anyone comes across a nifty helmet, please post here.

Or maybe a moderator can move the helmet discussion over here. :)

11 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

Ok, so last week I started looking at alternative helmets and reading some discussions here about bicycle helmets limiting coverage on the side/front. I wearing a fairly nice Specialized bike helmet now, but considering other options. I don't want to wear my MC helmet, and granted "any helmet looks dorky". But, I believe in safety, and having a good head.

After reading some comments last week I found a pretty nifty red, full coverage helmet with removable full face visor for $55. I wanted to take another look at it but cannot find it! And I've searched through the comments here a couple times. I thought it was on aliexpress, but searched there a couple times with no luck. Losing a link is like misplacing your keys! Grrrr.

So, if anyone comes across a nifty helmet, please post here.

Or maybe a moderator can move the helmet discussion over here. :)

I started riding with two snowboard helmets beginning of 2016. They look pretty cool with snow attire but are otherwise dorky in EUC gear. They do keep my head and ears warm in the winter though. In the last year I purchased three others – two with MIPS:

Smith Axle MTB Helmet MIPS - (least favourite) inexpensive for a MIPS helmet, but heavy and looks bulbous on the head. It has poor ventilation and lacks an adjustable neck strap.

Bell Hub Helmet - my favourite. Inexpensive ($30-75), lightweight, awesome ventilation, and looks cool. Comes in a MIPS version named the "Annex" ($90 and up) with visor or with integrated eye protection (~$150). 

Bell Super 3R Cycling Helmet MIPS (currently $180-230) - also lightweight, great ventilation, feels very sturdy, with several cool features (GoPro mount, adjustable visor, removable chin guard). Also looks cool.

At least two other forum members have recently purchased Bell Super 3Rs so they can offer additional insights. I wear it on longer trail rides where my Ninebot speed averages >13.5mph (yes, that is correct). I wear it with the cheek pads installed which are very snug, but also very reassuring.

This weekend I hope to post either a video or text plus images where I compare the Bell Super 3R and the Giro Switchblade. They won't be "reviews" as I'm not qualified to do that. Just initial impressions and opinions. Both helmets are in the $230 to $250 range though. Not cheap, but then who wants to lose teeth, break a nose or worse become a vegetable. Money well spent.

23 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

This weekend I hope to post either a video or text plus images where I compare the Bell Super 3R and the Giro Switchblade. They won't be "reviews" as I'm not qualified to do that. Just initial impressions and opinions. Both helmets are in the $230 to $250 range though. Not cheap, but then who wants to lose teeth, break a nose or worse become a vegetable. Money well spent.

I paid $190.00 recently on Amazon for a new large 3R. The Super 3R price on Amazon has fluctuated from $180-230 for the past 4-6 months, depending on the seller. Since the beginning of summer the price has generally stayed close to $230.00 for all sizes but some colours (brain-splatter red, for example) are discounted late at night. The Super 2R which is similar typically sells for $170-180, although the glacier blue (which is sometimes listed incorrectly as a woman's helmet) often goes for much less.

31 minutes ago, litewave said:

I paid $190.00 recently on Amazon for a new large 3R. The Super 3R price on Amazon has fluctuated from $180-230 for the past 4-6 months, depending on the seller. Since the beginning of summer the price has generally stayed close to $230.00 for all sizes but some colours (brain-splatter red, for example) are discounted late at night. The Super 2R which is similar typically sells for $170-180, although the glacier blue (which is sometimes listed incorrectly as a woman's helmet) often goes for much less.

That's some good info. Thanks for sharing.

I just saw the movie in another thread of that girl on the non-electric unicycle smashing her face on the concrete. Now I start doubting if I also need to replace my cycling helmet with a full face helmet... :unsure:  

I already have a not-full-face helmet, so I do not really care about the fact you can take of the chin guard. Do you guys have some advice on a helmet that is cheaper then the Bell Super 3R if you don't need to be able to remove the chin guard? I don't see too many full face helmuts that are also this airy and light weight with MIPS technology.

4 hours ago, D i c K (ie) said:

I just saw the movie in another thread of that girl on the non-electric unicycle smashing her face on the concrete. Now I start doubting if I also need to replace my cycling helmet with a full face helmet... :unsure:  

I already have a not-full-face helmet, so I do not really care about the fact you can take of the chin guard. Do you guys have some advice on a helmet that is cheaper then the Bell Super 3R if you don't need to be able to remove the chin guard? I don't see too many full face helmuts that are also this airy and light weight with MIPS technology.

I think full face is the way to go. I know the video you mean and the sound of the impact is sickening. Full face is the only way I think of you value your looks. A regular helmet will protect your brain I'm sure, but teeth, jaw, nose. All of them are fair game for the asphalt without full face. And that girl wasn't even going fast!

Do you specifically want MIPS. That is considered higher end tech. Not sure how cheap you can go and still get MIPS. I'm going to post about both the Switchblade and the 3R currently in my possession but am 99% decided I'll be keeping the Giro Switchblade. It is downhill certified which blows the socks of the regular helmet certification that the 3R has and generally feels much more quality in build and design. Girl also make the Disciple. That has a fixed chin bar but at RRP you only save about 20 dollars over the Switchblade. I say spend as much as you can afford on the helmet. You only get one face and brain. Life sucks if you mess up either of them.

The chin guard, for protection, should also have EPS (the same foam in the rest of the helmet). Most of these helmets do not so while they'll protect your face from abrasions they'll work minimally to protect you from the highest peak force.

The HJC dirtbike helmets, some of them clearly state they have EPS chins, and seem to start around $140.

I believe all Snell certified helmets must have EPS chins bars, but DOT helmets have no such requirements.

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

The chin guard, for protection, should also have EPS (the same foam in the rest of the helmet). Most of these helmets do not so while they'll protect your face from abrasions they'll work minimally to protect you from the highest peak force.

The HJC dirtbike helmets, some of them clearly state they have EPS chins, and seem to start around $140.

I believe all Snell certified helmets must have EPS chins bars, but DOT helmets have no such requirements.

For downhill rated helmets the whole helmet must pass the tests. If the chin guard is removable it must pass both with and without the bar. The Switchblade chin bar is really well made and also lined with an impact absorbing rubber. It feels quality. I expect the Disciple to be very similar given it is rated the same. I'll look for the EPS foam in it.

I was reading about certifications the other day. Snell certification was very strict and most helmets adhered to it but standardization in the late 90s created the new current weaker standard that set the minimum legal bar for helmet safety in most countries and guess what, newer helmets started failing the Snell test but just eeked a pass for the new cert. This certification is still used today for most helmets including the 3R. Given the speeds EUCs travel I'm happier having a downhill rated helmet. The Switchblade feels much more like my old full face Motorcycle helmet but with less  weight. The 3R felt like just like another bike helmet, only fill face.

I'm not saying the 3R is a bad helmet. On the contrary it is quite nice and likely more than enough for standard EUC use. But that extra $20 for the Switchblade is well worth it.

4 hours ago, D i c K (ie) said:

@WARPed1701D Thank you for the tip. After watching watching that video again tree times, I ordered the Giro Disciple matte black gloss black.

I ordered one at bergfriende.nl for €174,97 with an extra €5 discount when you sign in on their newsletter! 

My Switchblade is matt black. It looks good. The only reason I didn't go with the Disciple is I could see some use for the helmet with the bar removed and the Switchblade appears to have a few more vents. In Florida that is a huge bonus. Please report back with your impressions.

35 minutes ago, WARPed1701D said:

My Switchblade is matt black. It looks good. The only reason I didn't go with the Disciple is I could see some use for the helmet with the bar removed and the Switchblade appears to have a few more vents. In Florida that is a huge bonus. Please report back with your impressions.

I wil do that, but I can only compare it with my current decathlon helmet...

So, looks like there are lots of options out there. That Met Parachute looks good, one for ~$150 on Ebay right now.

Still don't see that $55 helmet I came across a couple weeks ago. I'm only avging 9-10mph right now, so even considering dropping my bike helmet after I hit 100miles on my EUC. But anything over that seems like a good idea to have a helmet.

Any thoughts on speed vs helmet use?

On 07/10/2017 at 4:41 PM, KingSong69 said:

Bu this one meets it the most...even if its not electric....thats how it looks on a unexpected one:

If the crack of this girls head on the pavement from her slow manual unicycle isn't enough to convince you that a helmet is a great idea 100% of the time regardless of speed then I don't know what is.

Turn the sound up...it's special. :o

Also. I just posted my thoughts on two full face helmets in the Protective/Safety Gear section. Take a look. It may help you.

EDIT: I see this was already mentioned earlier. Sorry for reposting the video. Worth a re-watch though to re-affirm the need for headgear.

Yes, that video is spread throughout this forum on various channels. :)  I also like the other "safety" pictures of road rash on the hands and chins I have seen. One thing about this video is that it is a "free wheel" unicycle, not a motorized (controlled) EUC. The only similar situation I have had on my EUC was when my leg brushed up against the side, turning off power (hence "free wheeling" my EUC) causing it to slip out from under me at a stop. I was still able to land on my feet. Having "free wheels"  is a major issue on other devices (esp. skateboards).

So, safety can be considered a relative endeavor. I could also slip and fall , hitting my head on the curb walking down the street, but do not wear a helmet when walking since I consider myself an "expert" walker and the speeds involved are minimal. I also do not wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. One point is that the bicycle helmet I am wearing may not have helped much with this (or other) EUC falls due to their top impact protection and lack of side protection. I suppose the counter point is that any helmet is better than no helmet.

Still, at my avg 9 or 10 mph, I am considering reducing my use of the helmet as my experience increases. It does seem to me that any speed over what I am doing now should ALWAYS have a helmet.

Risk management is something we all do and view differently. That was my thought on the speed vs helmet question you posed.

You mentioned that you thought the risk to the girl was increased as it was a manual unicycle but I pose that there is a lot less that could go wrong for her than there is for us. Wires, batteries, mainboards, motors. One weak link in all these components (normally cheap components) and you are floored without warning. The girl just has her pedals to worry about.

Finally, normal bike helmets are designed to protect one key organ. The brain. They make no guarantee about less important parts such as your nose, chin, teeth etc yet I'm sure you are partial to them. Honestly the way I see it, given the type of fall expected in an unexpected SUC failure (face plant), only full face helmets are work considering and they should help avoid serious facial and brain injury.

That is true. The one thing I am thinking about on these is what would happen if the foot pad broke off. Even at low speed that could be bad.

Right now, as I am still a noob, I will be content with the bike helmet (however frequently I end up using it), and consider better protection in the future. Those full faced helmets look really nice.

I hope people use helmets at all times, even just a basic bike helmet, but in the end it's up to you. I've taken the ATGATT -approach since day one, and haven't ever had any serious injuries, despite ending up on the road head/face first on my very first day, from a speed of something like 5km/h. I don't buy the excuses like "it makes it look dangerous to other people" (it is, basically if you're not wearing gear, then you're just portraying the wrong message that it's not dangerous) or "using helmets makes it more likely for you to get into accident". If you say you don't want to use a helmet for aesthetic reasons, then I get it (but still think you're pretty stupid ;)). No wheel is ever 100% safe, regardless of the manufacturer. Even something like dual-winded motor (two "separate" windings driven independently) wouldn't save you in case the other side short-circuits, as it will likely lock up the motor regardless of redundancy, unless there's something like a way to isolate the failed side immediately as it happens (relays? those are going to burn up just in normal use... anything like mosfets can fail, it would have to be something that completely disconnects the electrical connection, probably by mechanical means). As long as there's just one wheel, it's never safe, although extra redundancy could make it less likely to fail (higher "mean time between failures").

1 hour ago, esaj said:

I hope people use helmets at all times, even just a basic bike helmet, but in the end it's up to you.

(but still think you're pretty stupid ;)).

Jep i know - i have a great helmet at home but just use a baseball cap and sunblocker against the sunburn...:wacko: maybe i start using the helmet again...

1 hour ago, esaj said:

... Even something like dual-winded motor (two "separate" windings driven independently) wouldn't save you in case the other side short-circuits, as it will likely lock up the motor regardless of redundancy, unless there's something like a way to isolate the failed side immediately as it happens (relays? those are going to burn up just in normal use... anything like mosfets can fail, it would have to be something that completely disconnects the electrical connection, probably by mechanical means). 

Some 100+ A fast/medium (depending on the wheel) fuse at the motor cables should do the job. Hopefully not designed and implemented the g****y way so they impose an additional thread for the driver... 

maybe just one higher fast fuse in the supply path of the mosfets would be enough?

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Jep i know - i have a great helmet at home but just use a baseball cap and sunblocker against the sunburn...:wacko: maybe i start using the helmet again...

I tend to exaggerate my opinions when it comes to safety gear :P, but the (sad) reality is still that should the wheel develop a fault during riding, there's likely very little you can do (if you even realize what's happening before you hit the road), so I openly advocate for helmet (and other safety gear) use for everyone. When there are things like a possible death, permanent brain damage or paralysis at stake (in the worst cases), not using a helmet just seems incomprehensible to me.

3 hours ago, Chriull said:

Some 100+ A fast/medium (depending on the wheel) fuse at the motor cables should do the job. Hopefully not designed and implemented the g****y way so they impose an additional thread for the driver... 

maybe just one higher fast fuse in the supply path of the mosfets would be enough?

Maybe... but all three phases would have to be cut (so no two phases are shorted, as that's enough to cause strong braking 2/3rds of the time), so probably would need three of them, and the fuse would have to be rated for high enough amperage not to blow on sudden power demand spikes, yet low enough to actually blow immediately in case of a short. Luckily, totally catastrophic failures seem (relatively) rare, more often the faults are more minor, and probably many people ride their wheels with no problems ever. Still, thinking that you're standing on a platform that's completely dependent on a bunch of electronic components and a piece of software, I sometimes wonder if we're completely sane (well, I know I'm not, but if other people are ;)).

6 minutes ago, esaj said:

I tend to exaggerate my opinions when it comes to safety gear :P, but the (sad) reality is still that should the wheel develop a fault during riding, there's likely very little you can do (if you even realize what's happening before you hit the road), so I openly advocate for helmet (and other safety gear) use for everyone. When there are things like a possible death, permanent brain damage or paralysis at stake (in the worst cases), not using a helmet just seems incomprehensible to me.

Maybe... but all three phases would have to be cut (so no two phases are shorted, as that's enough to cause strong braking 2/3rds of the time), so probably would need three of them, and the fuse would have to be rated for high enough amperage not to blow on sudden power demand spikes, yet low enough to actually blow immediately in case of a short. Luckily, totally catastrophic failures seem (relatively) rare, more often the faults are more minor, and probably many people ride their wheels with no problems ever. Still, thinking that you're standing on a platform that's completely dependent on a bunch of electronic components and a piece of software, I sometimes wonder if we're completely sane (well, I know I'm not, but if other people are ;)).

Sane you say? I sometimes wonder if I still have a working brain or have suddenly acquired a junkie dependence on adrenaline? :D 

Initially, after seeing it in a post here, I was thinking of getting a smart helmet. I had two I was looking at - one had bone conduction headphones but no controls on the helmet only a remote/mobile and the other had little speakers just above where your ears would be, also had rear lights, and had controls on the helmet as well as the remote. If I'd gotten one of them then the remote could have been velcroed to a glove.

After checking out reviews on the software for both I decided against them as both were pretty poor and the software was needed to control functions/pair the remote and helmet.

I decided yesterday to get a helmet with the MIPS system and after hours of looking settled on the Bell Annex Shield MIPS equipped 2017 because it has a removable eye shield and if it's cool/raining you can close vents. One of the reasons for this helmet is because often when I ride around the nearby lake or along the canal there's midges and I always forget to wear my riding glasses. The visor will stop the little annoying things getting in my eyes :) Also my eyes tend to water, sometimes, if the wind is blowing in them so the visor will help with that and dust.

On 7/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, Circuitmage said:

Nice. I didn't even know what MIPS was.

People that have had crashes while wearing a MIPS helmet have said they have definitely been better off and been less affected compared to previous crashes with standard helmets. I'm hoping to never have to put it to the test! hehe

Anyway it arrived today and took seconds to adjust to the right size when I put it on and it's very comfortable.

The "ratchet buckle" means you can have it tighter/looser without adjusting the strap and the visor easily slides up and down with plenty of room for those that wear glasses. 

It'll be interesting to see how the vents help, if at all. Ideally they'll help with regulating the temperature and keeping the rain off but time will tell.

A biggie for me is that I can wear my favourite Trekz Titanium bone conduction headphones still :) 

Archived