Helmet options

36 minutes ago, TremF said:

A biggie for me is that I can wear my favourite Trekz Titanium bone conduction headphones still :) 

I have a set of these. I brought them for cycling to allow music while not detracting from my situational awareness but actually use them much more at work so I have my own personal speaker in my head but can still hear my colleagues. An awesome bit of kit.

Glad you like the helmet. Be sure to come back and do a review if you can with a few images beyond that of the promotional ones.

So, all of this safety discussion, my observations of someone I let ride my EUC who fell hard 2 times, and my experience on various modes of transportation definitely has me thinking more on the safety side.

As far as helmets are concerned, I can definitely agree that full face is preferable to a bicycle helmet. It's not even a question on a motorcycle to drop several hundred dollars, or even over a thousand on a good helmet. Long ago, I was going 15 mph on small motorcycle and a cheap DOT helmet saved my life. It cracked all the way down the middle after a car slammed into me (prob going about 60mph in a 30mph zone). 

All of this is mitigated by personal safety factors. For example, now that I am more experienced, I have no problem jumping on my EUC for short trips (at low speed without full gear. However, when you start adding in speed, traffic, and distance, I think it becomes more and more of a consideration. A nice visual chart might be good on this forum.

Archived