First ride

Catlord17

i started street riding motocycles 2006. stopped about 2013. the smartphone, ie apple iphone just turned ten. everything has changed now. i don't like driving my one ton dooley on these mean streets. my vehicles have been in 4 accidents since 2013. people being distracted by their phones. i'd never share any roadway with cars, walking, bicyling, etc.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight, I managed to do something interesting.  For the first time, I rode my wheel from my girlfriend's house all the way to my house without stepping off it once.  That is usually impossible because of a combination of foot fatigue and having to wait for two different crosswalks.  Tonight, it's 2:30 am as I write this, so obviously there was literally no traffic at the first crosswalk, so I just crossed.  The second one, I turned right and traveled half way down to the next light, and then crossed, as again, literally no traffic in any direction for as far as the eye could see.  I had foot fatigue most of the way home, but forced myself to do funny things with my foot to relieve it.  I would slow down and then stand on the blade of that foot, or the ball of the foot, etc.

I also started trying to ride the UEC in the grass from the driveway of my gf's house to the back door, which I have been successful at doing twice now.  Attempting to start off in the grass has failed because the grass is wet, and my feet slip off the pedals because of that damned rubber on them.  Tonight WheelLog showed that when I attempted to start off riding in the grass, the amperage spiked to 80 amps.  That sort of worried me... how much amperage can it handle without melting something?

EUC noob here. Stepped on my EUC for the first time three days ago. Two weeks have passed since I received my kingsong until I actually could try it, so in that time I did a lot of homework, mainly watching relevant youtube videos and reading this forum.

So when I actually started training with my unicycle, I already had a fairly good understanding of what to expect, was fully geared and my EUC was somewhat wrapped for protection. It took me about 8 sessions of ~15 min each (in 3 days) to make a ride today for 2 km with turns, acceleration/decceleration and do that without a strap or stepping off.

Now I'm officially hooked! :)

You guys were not joking when you said that our body learns so much in downtime. I was amazed that I could start a session with completely effortless stepping on when in the previous session I would struggle BADLY with that. Or that I couldn't turn to the right at all, but in the next session I would be turning to the right without thinking. Learnt so much about capabilities of our bodies!

6 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

Tonight WheelLog showed that when I attempted to start off riding in the grass, the amperage spiked to 80 amps.  That sort of worried me... how much amperage can it handle without melting something?

Those tiny (as in short) spikes are irrelevant. Technically, the current heats the mosfet until it overheats and increases its resistance disproportionally, it heats up more, etc (vicious circle), until it finally blows, so the shorter the time, the higher a current number can be without doing damage, in theory:)

Not sure how easily and quickly mosfets blow in "locked tire" situations on msuper V3 (apart from some bad luck wheels), but just a start from a high-effort-situation without locked tire should no be able to do any damage. If you start and notice it won't go at all, maybe step off before having more than one second (long time!) of really high stress, but that's it.

(Also, don't trust the numbers 100%, they come from a Gotway firmware after all:D Not sure how meaningful such very-short-extreme-situation numbers are. 80A for several seconds would be something different...)

2 hours ago, Herbas said:

Cool! Hi.

2 hours ago, Herbas said:

You guys were not joking when you said that our body learns so much in downtime. I was amazed that I could start a session with completely effortless stepping on when in the previous session I would struggle BADLY with that. Or that I couldn't turn to the right at all, but in the next session I would be turning to the right without thinking. Learnt so much about capabilities of our bodies!

Yep.

5 hours ago, Herbas said:

EUC noob here. Stepped on my EUC for the first time three days ago. Two weeks have passed since I received my kingsong until I actually could try it, so in that time I did a lot of homework, mainly watching relevant youtube videos and reading this forum.

So when I actually started training with my unicycle, I already had a fairly good understanding of what to expect, was fully geared and my EUC was somewhat wrapped for protection. It took me about 8 sessions of ~15 min each (in 3 days) to make a ride today for 2 km with turns, acceleration/decceleration and do that without a strap or stepping off.

What also amazes me is how much exercise I am getting riding this thing!

On 8/29/2017 at 2:37 PM, novazeus said:

i started street riding motocycles 2006. stopped about 2013. the smartphone, ie apple iphone just turned ten. everything has changed now. i don't like driving my one ton dooley on these mean streets. my vehicles have been in 4 accidents since 2013. people being distracted by their phones. i'd never share any roadway with cars, walking, bicyling, etc.

We wanna know how you're doing learning your new wheels.

@LanghamP hopefully tmrw. we've been experiencing quite a bit of rain, plus since i monitor my psa monthly, i didn't wanna get too physical doing anything until my monthly blood test which i did today. just started foaning the ks16s. also got the obrien foam pool float today. probably just use this same 1" foam i got from walmart for now. the start of "my pillow".

IMG_4782.JPG

Since I'm the first in my city to have an EUC, and mine is as big as it is, I have started asking the management of the restaurants, etc. where I plan to ride it to if they mind me bringing it in when I use it.  Tonight, the chef of the sushi restaurant I go to said he was cool with it.  So now I can ride there on it.  :thumbup:

The night manager of IHOP is cool with it.  Next up is the Olive Garden and the Ruby Tuesday's.

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

not terrible. about $10 in material including tape. still have enough to decorate the ks-18s 

IMG_4783.JPG

Hahaha...that look like a Mummy Wheel.

I learned with the V8 and glad it has a cover.  Regardless both of my wheels are all scratched up.  I don't really care about the looks only the ride.

8 minutes ago, CaptainKBLS said:

Hahaha...that look like a Mummy Wheel.

I learned with the V8 and glad it has a cover.  Regardless both of my wheels are all scratched up.  I don't really care about the looks only the ride.

I plan to buy new shells, etc. for my V8 from Jason (while he still has them in stock).  But I probably won't put them on until I get ready to sell the wheel.  

Just now, radial said:

I plan to buy new shells, etc. for my V8 from Jason (while he still has them in stock).  But I probably won't put them on until I get ready to sell the wheel.  

What!  You just got it!

I have to be honest tho.  Since, I've got the new ACM16, going back to riding the V8 it feels like riding an el-cheapo toy wheel.   Of course it's not cheap at all and thought it was the best thing in the world...until you start riding another wheel.

1 minute ago, CaptainKBLS said:

What!  You just got it!

I have to be honest tho.  Since, I've got the new ACM16, going back to riding the V8 it feels like riding an el-cheapo toy wheel.   Of course it's not cheap at all and thought it was the best thing in the world...until you start riding another wheel.

I know, but I figure it will look pretty sorry by the time I get around to selling it.  Gonna grab the shells now while the grabbing is good.  

I need new pedals, new side padding, new shell and new trolley handle.  It never fully recovered from the second self propelled adventure it had flipping out.  Damned trolley handle is almost impossible to push all the way down now.  And this is WITH a leash for 90% of the time I have had it.  lol  But whatever, for the time being, scratched up is okay since I am still mastering it.  

9 hours ago, novazeus said:

@LanghamP hopefully tmrw. we've been experiencing quite a bit of rain, plus since i monitor my psa monthly, i didn't wanna get too physical doing anything until my monthly blood test which i did today. just started foaning the ks16s. also got the obrien foam pool float today. probably just use this same 1" foam i got from walmart for now. the start of "my pillow".

IMG_4782.JPG

That looks like it could cause you a heat dissipation problem. May I suggest this instead:

14 hours ago, novazeus said:

not terrible. about $10 in material including tape. still have enough to decorate the ks-18s 

IMG_4783.JPG

Be aware that the wheel needs cooling. So don't be surprised to get premature overheating with this setup. 

@Mono @GoinPostal yeah i thought about that heat dissapation problem. definitely in the experimental phase here. my objectives are this, not bang up my wheel, not let wheel bang me up, not let wheel bang up anybody else. i'll be monitoring the heat but i doubt me personally will ever have a problem because i doubt i'll be discharging the batteries at to high of a rate or for very long, Bob's endurance isn't that great. if heat is a real problem, just leaving the black 9bot in the sun here in FL is gonna be a problem. this white mainstay foam from walmart isn't dense at all. it overlaps on the edges for doubling up. it should be good for like up to 10 mph, maybe more. still hurt if it hit you, but much softer. the top is open, still need to wrap the handle with that plastic wrap stuff with duct tape over, and the wheel openings are clear. idk what a high operating temp is or if there is a cutoff like our phones left in a car. iphones can't handle heat very well. i did the 9bot sorta like u suggested but a little more. i seriously doubt i'll ever leave the ranch with these things, but i still want them as safe as i can make them for Bob, most importantly, and me and the wheel. my long term goal personally is being able to tranverse my ranch on a 9bot1z with Bob running alongside off leash. this is all Bob's idea. 

to put things in perspective, got my psa results back from the lab from my bloodwork yesterday and my psa was 0.8, the previous 3 months were, 0.8, 0.7, and 0.8. so 3+ years from a 3 months to live prognosis, no presciption drugs, no cancer drugs/poison, and haven't seen a doctor for 3 years. and i'm not in houston, so yaay for me. and my best friend Bob, is the best dog/living creature i could ever have. life is good, today.

IMG_4787.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4683.JPG

my future plans after the white foam test, which is coincidentally the same size about as this float, so i should get two protective sleeves out of one float. this material is stiffer, more dense, heavier, more abrasion resistant and it's insulating properties in a sleeve type design should negate any airflow if any.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

20 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I need new pedals, new side padding, new shell and new trolley handle.  It never fully recovered from the second self propelled adventure it had flipping out.  Damned trolley handle is almost impossible to push all the way down now.  And this is WITH a leash for 90% of the time I have had it.  lol  But whatever, for the time being, scratched up is okay since I am still mastering it.  

Heh, yep. You and me both, and probably all EUC riders. Nature of the business.

Might be worth it to spend a few hundred on new replacement parts. 

8 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Heh, yep. You and me both, and probably all EUC riders. Nature of the business.

Might be worth it to spend a few hundred on new replacement parts. 

When I don't have to worry about learning anything new, and I have it spare, I probably will rework it.  Until then... bring it on. :)

11 hours ago, novazeus said:

my future plans after the white foam test, which is coincidentally the same size about as this float, so i should get two protective sleeves out of one float. this material is stiffer, more dense, heavier, more abrasion resistant and it's insulating properties in a sleeve type design should negate any airflow if any.

IMG_4798.JPG

IMG_4799.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

I am a two-time cancer survivor myself. Keep kicking cancers ass, and tell Bob hello for me. 

@GoinPostal congratulations on ur victories. yup, cancer is my enemy and it doesn't want to die either but i'm trying my best. using everything i've learn from caring for animals. it is quite a ride. only one exit, so i'll hang on as long as i can. Bob says "hi" back. u would love Bob.

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

Wow, congrats on making it this far, man.  I had cancer too.  Personally I can't imagine being forced to deal with it again, so I hope you never have to.

What I learned from my cancer experience was:

1. 99% of doctors have no idea what "bedside manner" is.

2. 50% of the time, what they tell you is more damaging than the reality.

3. Doctors spend 12 years in school to gain a +10% likelihood of knowing what the hell they're talking about.  Which is to say, they usually don't.  Especially when it comes to simple things like the impact of freaking nutrition and what people believe to be true, and then make true through that belief.

If the guys in my cancer ward had ignored the doctors on their "time to live prognosis", at least half of them who died wouldn't have.  It was most of us who did ignore them on it, who lived.

You die when and if YOU are ready to, my friend, and not a moment sooner.  Until then, live and enjoy to the fullest.  And if I may say so, fuck off, cancer! 

Archived