First ride

Catlord17

18 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Oh, forgot to mention... last night, I had a few seconds of unconscious competence poke their head through during my second practice session.  When I realized it, I almost fell off, but it was amazing.  Can't wait for that to become my norm all the time!

That is the stage I have found now. Things are becoming automatic. It is when I think about a manouver that I get unstable. Finding that zen state of mind where you just do something is, I think, the second click moment where stuff starts to become fluid. I'm 90% there now until I hit an unexpected crack or bump that wakes me up. Not automatic on those abnormal experiences yet.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RayRay said:

I think once you practice the basics enough what happens is: you get tired of thinking about 'proper technique' and allow your mind to wander. Then, low and behold, the techniques you practiced start to kick-in automatically (but subconsciously). After this happened to me, I realized that all I needed to do to change direction was to envision myself 'going-in-that-direction'. Also, 'looking-in-that-direction' really helps with this vision. :efee8319ab:

Looking at where you want to go was drilled into me during motorcycle training. You will naturally go where you look. Look at a wall on a street corner rather than the road you wish to go down and.....:facepalm:

It seems like there are definite stages to becoming fully skilled in this.  Interesting to observe them.  Cameron went out with me last night, and his gf and mine talked while we practiced.  He's now about able to ride for 3 to 6 meters at a time, while I am riding for hundreds to thousands of meters at a time.

3 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

It seems like there are definite stages to becoming fully skilled in this.

I practiced hard, but after a couple of sessions could only travel several meters 'freestyle' (no fences or posts to balance on). Then, I unconsciously (but competently) traveled the entire distance of my 'safety area' without reaching out to grab/balance off anything. After that, I got bold and started riding off into unknown territory... A quarter kilometer, half a kilometer, one and then two km without much trouble... On top of that, yesterday I made it to work (only 5km roundtrip) and managed to free-mount my wheel a couple of times (after a couple of tries). A symbolic victory! :thumbup:

1 minute ago, RayRay said:

I practiced hard, but after a couple of sessions could only travel several meters 'freestyle' (no fences or posts to balance on). Then, I unconsciously (but competently) traveled the entire distance of my 'safety area' without reaching out to grab/balance off anything. After that, I got bold and started riding off into unknown territory... A quarter kilometer, half a kilometer, one and then two km without much trouble... On top of that, yesterday I made it to work (only 5km roundtrip) and managed to free-mount my wheel a couple of times (after a couple of tries). A symbolic victory! :thumbup:

I did almost the exact same thing yesterday!  Not symbolic at all, but very much a victory.  I also just managed to wrestle my wheel into submission enough to actually inflate the damned thing, which requires a foot on the wheel, a chopstick forcing the damned valve away from the aluminum wheel itself, and an air compressor inflator pressure valve thingy all going at once.  The issue is that I can't get consistent pressure readings from the tire.  I would like to question the designers of this wheel (MSuper V3s+) when it comes to what the hell they were thinking when they designed it concerning accessing and utilizing the damned inflation valve...

13 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I would like to question the designers of this wheel (MSuper V3s+) when it comes to what the hell they were thinking when they designed it concerning accessing and utilizing the damned inflation valve...

Yeah, I hear you. I had to change the tire on my KS14C after my first ride... Not fun!

I put it off for several weeks because I had to special order a 14'' innertube with a right-angle bent valve. Also, you damned near have to disassemble the thing to get at the tire hub. Here's a post about a sister model being unscrewed and taken apart to change the tire. (Note: You also must disconnect and reconnect wires properly making the whole process very 'technical'.)

Guys, don't worry! you are all doing great!

there will come the time, where you are driving without thinking about it! just a question of time/experience!

it will go into blood...like normal walking :-)

18 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Yeah, I hear you. I had to change the tire on my KS14C after my first ride... Not fun!

I put it off for several weeks because I had to special order a 14'' innertube with a right-angle bent valve. Also, you damned near have to disassemble the thing to get at the tire hub. Here's a post about a sister model being unscrewed and taken apart to change the tire. (Note: You also must disconnect and reconnect wires properly making the whole process very 'technical'.)

I have yet to figure out how to disassemble my case enough to remove the body.  Maybe someone who has an MSuper V3s+ would be kind enough to point me to, or create, such a video? :whistling: :D

I will explain a bit more what I need help with on the disassembly.  I've removed the pedal and all screws on the side that I can find, even looking under the pads, but still could not get the case apart.  Is there some sort of secret I'm missing?

In other news, today I was expecting to be very sore after my first fall but I was and am not.  So I found myself compelled to get back on and keep trying, and that is exactly what I did.  The first run was around a city block, which is 863 meters.  I had to stop once because I fell off while turning, once because someone was pulling out of their driveway and twice because my left foot was cramping too much.  That did not please me.

I returned to my point of origination, rested my feet and then got back on and rode off in the other direction.  This time, two city blocks wide and one long, and one of the lengths was on a sidewalk adjacent traffic.  There is very obviously some part of me that is afraid of that, because all of a sudden, I found myself unable to ride for lack of balance, even though the sidewalk is 2 or 3 times the width of most, and traffic was light and sporadic at worst.  After a few tries I did get it and rode the length, with a successful turn, then turning again and returning to my point of origination yet again, and again with severely cramping left foot.

Even after a foot massage from my gf, and 30 minutes has elapsed, my left foot still hurts.  This must be some sort of subconscious fear or insecurity, given the pattern of expression, then fading, then return after the fall.  The good news is, this means (as I knew already) that given enough time and stubborn practice, the foot cramping will disappear.  The bad news is, this is turning into a greater and greater exercise in stubborn refusal to give up and less and less fun and enjoyment because of the pain.  It would probably help if I wasn't so tired when I had the chance to practice most days.

@Catlord17 Just take a few days break if something hurts! Your brain still learns even if you don't ride. You could be off the wheel for a week and will still be instantly better once you ride again! You don't want to associate "EUC" and "not fun" if you can help it. Ride if you want to, not if you feel like you have to.

Good luck with the repair. Don't open the board side (right side), but the other one - you only need to disassemble one side to get to the tire (It's a tire repair right? Lost overview with all the new riders here lately).

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Catlord17 Just take a few days break if something hurts! Your brain still learns even if you don't ride. You could be off the wheel for a week and will still be instantly better once you ride again! You don't want to associate "EUC" and "not fun" if you can help it. Ride if you want to, not if you feel like you have to.

Good luck with the repair. Don't open the board side (right side), but the other one - you only need to disassemble one side to get to the tire (It's a tire repair right? Lost overview with all the new riders here lately).

That's the thing... nothing hurts after the fall.  So, to avoid associating "fall" with "EUC" and letting it get out of proportion in my head, I jumped back on and kept going.  "Get right back on the horse", as they say.  I'm rather amazed that I am not even hurting from where my skin was removed.

I don't need to do a repair.  I need to find a way to inflate the damned tire without having to use my foot to hold the wheel still while my right hand manipulates the valve into place and my left hand tries to fill it.  I thought I would remove the case, but the case design practically requires a complete tear-down to do that.  Not my idea of an easier way to fill the damned tire.  GotWay's engineers need to think things like this through better.

As it turns out the reason I was not able to open the case after removing the screws is that I was trying to pull the wrong areas.  But given this "design feature", I suppose I will just have to become proficient with doing it the way I came up with.  

5 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I need to find a way to inflate the damned tire without having to use my foot to hold the wheel still while my right hand manipulates the valve into place and my left hand tries to fill it.  I thought I would remove the case, but the case design practically requires a complete tear-down to do that.  Not my idea of an easier way to fill the damned tire

@KingSong69 posted a photo last week or two weeks ago showing how he cut a small piece of the outer shell off, underneath the pedal, that is not visible until you put the wheel on it's side, but allows easy access to the tire valve.  I can't find the picture right now, but he didn't cut in to the inner shell, I think he used a cutoff wheel to do it.  I think it was cut off about 4 or 5 inches wide and about 1 or 2 inches high piece of plastic.  You could see there was no longer any problem inflating the tire.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

@KingSong69 posted a photo last week or two weeks ago showing how he cut a small piece of the outer shell off, underneath the pedal, that is not visible until you put the wheel on it's side, but allows easy access to the tire valve.  I can't find the picture right now, but he didn't cut in to the inner shell, I think he used a cutoff wheel to do it.  I think it was cut off about 4 or 5 inches wide and about 1 or 2 inches high piece of plastic.  You could see there was no longer any problem inflating the tire.

I have been contemplating that, too, but in my case I would also likely need to remove some of the actual aluminum part of the wheel.  The valve is so pressed against it that it is difficult at best to get the inflator onto the valve stem.

Today I had to go to the dentist for a cleaning, so afterwards I went to Langford Park and geared up for a ride.  It was drizzling lightly when I started, but I wasn't going to let that stop me.  Started the GotWay app and off I went.

Had to stop a few times from foot pain, but as time went on it was less and less.  I managed two times to intentionally slow the machine to a stop and dismount.  I should probably practice that more, although I'm pretty good at it when I want to do so.

Half way through, I closed the GotWay app and started WheelLog for the first time.  Wow, what an improvement.  Instead of "70%", it showed my battery at 75% when I started and 74% when I was forced to stop by the rain.  Also showed me in miles, not meters or km, how far I had gone (1.5 miles this time).  Nice stats, I definitely like it better than the GotWay app for info.  Haven't tried anything else with it.

The rain forced me to stop before I was ready.  By the time I had managed 1.5 miles my feet were not hurting anymore and I was successfully executing turns in both directions again, albeit slightly wobbly turns.  I also had to contend with traffic coming and going, most of which I dealt with by stopping, dismounting, and waiting for it to pass while I stood with my wheel in the grass.

Practiced a bit of turning in tighter radius than before, and traversing a slope up and down.  Tiltback was set for 15 kmh, and WheelLog records that I did a hair over 11 mph at tilt back speeds.

If I can stay awake long enough, I am again going to try for the 6 mile city megablock ride, or at least commuting to IHOP, which is about 4 miles there and back.  Given how intense today's work has been mentally, not sure I will make it.  But I will try!

Today, the female and I went to Lake Okeechobee.  Around the lake there is a berm, basically a continuous man made hill about 20-30 feet tall, intended to keep the lake in the lake during hurricanes.  At the top of this berm is a paved path, wider than a typical sidewalk, narrower than a typical road.  Today, I rode my wheel 2 miles out and 2 miles back on that berm.  The way out, average speed was 15 kph (tiltback speed).  Then I raised it to 21 kph and rode back, not averaging 21 kph, but I did again achieve tiltback a few times and hold it there comfortably.

This path is pretty much a straight shot, being curved as subtly as it is, so it was a nice change of pace from practicing turns and obstacles.  I was very pleased and a little surprised to be able to ride so far and so comfortably at those speeds, but I am definitely growing.  So 4 miles for today, averaging about 17 kph overall.

It's a good 45 to 60 minute drive each direction to get there from my house, so I can't do that location all the time, but I really like it.  Zero traffic 90% of the time, and it's a smooth ride 99% of the time, with only rare bumps.  I was getting some foot fatigue/cramping, but not a lot.  I had to rest about once a mile.  Next time I go there I am going to try to do 5 to 10 miles and see if I can't push how far I can go before resting, as well as the speed.  

It's back to being fun again!

3 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Hard part after you get going and being able to cover some ground is getting confidence in starting. At least for me :) 

Starting as in stepping on properly, or the "getting up some speed to stay balanced" part?

6 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

Starting as in stepping on properly, or the "getting up some speed to stay balanced" part?

No, doing stop-start with confidence, which you need a lot in real traffic. Stopping is easy. But for instance if you want to cross a road, or just got onto a sidewalk etc etc, you need to just hop on and get going again, without needing 4 tries before you wobble around and drive in a straight-ish line. No time to hesitate or retry when there is traffic around. You also don't want to set off on the road when there are cars passing and you can't confidently start from the first time in a straight line. Don't want to swerve under a car :) 

6 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

No, doing stop-start with confidence, which you need a lot in real traffic. Stopping is easy. But for instance if you want to cross a road, or just got onto a sidewalk etc etc, you need to just hop on and get going again, without needing 4 tries before you wobble around and drive in a straight-ish line. No time to hesitate or retry when there is traffic around. You also don't want to set off on the road when there are cars passing and you can't confidently start from the first time in a straight line. Don't want to swerve under a car :) 

Yes, and staying on narrow sidewalks, especially with pedestrian or bike traffic.  That's what I am planning to practice next.  City Center is good for all that, especially at night.  I think I'm going to dedicate one day a week to driving out the Okeechobee and really pushing distance and speed, though.  That is FUN!  Of course pushing speed will have to wait until I have a full face helmet, but I am now going fast enough to need the eye shield I got with the helmet.  Bugs.  I inhaled one and it got stuck in my bronchial tubes and I coughed for 30 minutes.  Blasted bugs.

Looking forward to getting a full face helmet and matching goggles. :)

On 8/8/2017 at 1:13 PM, Catlord17 said:

I did almost the exact same thing yesterday!  Not symbolic at all, but very much a victory.  I also just managed to wrestle my wheel into submission enough to actually inflate the damned thing, which requires a foot on the wheel, a chopstick forcing the damned valve away from the aluminum wheel itself, and an air compressor inflator pressure valve thingy all going at once.  The issue is that I can't get consistent pressure readings from the tire.  I would like to question the designers of this wheel (MSuper V3s+) when it comes to what the hell they were thinking when they designed it concerning accessing and utilizing the damned inflation valve...

I use this which can be placed into the MSuper V3

Accu-gage - Chek A Spare, Valve Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O2S8M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MvKJzbX3R9PXY

In order to unscrew it without deflating the tire, wind nylon or other strong cloth around the stem, then by pulling quickly on one end you can spin tube off without losing much air.

49 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I use this which can be placed into the MSuper V3

Accu-gage - Chek A Spare, Valve Extender https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006O2S8M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_MvKJzbX3R9PXY

In order to unscrew it without deflating the tire, wind nylon or other strong cloth around the stem, then by pulling quickly on one end you can spin tube off without losing much air.

Same exact thing I use.  I just inflate about 5 psi high and when I unscrew it it drops down right where I like it.  

I appreciate the suggestion, but the issue I have is that the valve is pressed so hard against the aluminum wheel itself that I can't get the inflator on it without literally using a lever of some sort to try to force it away from the aluminum part of the wheel.  At that point, putting an extension on it only makes for the same issue.  

Is that normal, having the valve so pressed against the aluminum part of the wheel that it's hard to get the inflator tip onto?

4 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but the issue I have is that the valve is pressed so hard against the aluminum wheel itself that I can't get the inflator on it without literally using a lever of some sort to try to force it away from the aluminum part of the wheel.  At that point, putting an extension on it only makes for the same issue.  

Is that normal, having the valve so pressed against the aluminum part of the wheel that it's hard to get the inflator tip onto?

On my KS16s the valve is pretty tight against the rim. I actually just unscrew it without really pulling it out just by brushing the cap like a dial. It was hard to get it started the first time but now I didn't put it back on as tightly as it was from the factory. Then I have an extender that has a similar screw and I put it on the same way, I just line it up and turn the screw by running my finger along it. That's what worked the best for me, pulling the valve out didn't work well.

Archived