First ride

Catlord17

so ups has no idea where my ks-18s is that was supposed to be delivered yesterday and now fedex says they delivered my ks-16s but it's not here and they are clueless too. at least ups didnt say they delivered it. what a hassle. where are the drones, they gotta be better than humans.

i guess when u compete with the post office, the bar isn't set too high.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

still no communication from ups and still waiting for fedex to call back. you would think in this day of instant communications, even three year olds have phones, they could figure it out. at least one made it, all i really need to learn on. 

Just now, novazeus said:

still no communication from ups and still waiting for fedex to call back. you would think in this day of instant communications, even three year olds have phones, they could figure it out. at least one made it, all i really need to learn on. 

That really sucks, I have had a lot of delivery problems over the years. I even caught UPS lying about a delivery since I had security cameras around my house. They claimed a driver had attempted a delivery at a specific time and nobody was home so I would have to go pick it up. I informed them I had surveillance cameras at my home and the UPS driver did not attempt to deliver the package. Amazingly they were suddenly able to find the package and the time for the driver to get it to me that same day! 

yeah very frustrating. i don't care if they ever show up, ive got batman to learn on but these companies lack of communication and they are supposedly logistics companies, ha, ups has yet to call me back, they did update the tracking info to no info available as far as delivery, after 7 phone calls to fedex, 7 different people i'm told i may have to wait until thursday for an answer if they found it or lost it. guess God is trying to protect me and my wallet. ups, fedex, usps all suck.

i mean this ebay vendor on the batman is lucky i hate dealing with hassles especially ups, fedex, usps, cause i did order a white ninebot. thought white, know white would be better to learn on than black like this. this thing even the most skilled eucer would hate to drop it cause it will scratch and show just as much as how pretty it is untouched. with the luck i'm having, it will probably blow up when i go to charge it. where is my fire extinguisher? Bob is still wonderful, that's all that matters.

so to take my mind off these two new problems i have to deal with, since Bob is napping, i pulled out my batman ninebot box out of my pelican case from my dji inspire v2 traveling case, to keep Bob from eating it, and took a bunch of pictures, i'll put on the ninebot page. so before safely put it away, i had to at least get a taste. it balances side to side very well on my, rather Bob's very expensive bed, mindful of how delicate it looks and not protected with anything, i gently put it on the floor, next to me sitting on the edge and gently tried to put my left foot on the pedal, it's not turned on btw, i'm holding it with my right hand, feels like i'm try to balance on a weasel. finally got the right foot on and thought ok, that's how narrow it is, lets just say the harleys give the boys more room. funny how the brain works because the first thing that flashed in my mind when i first felt it was, oh screw this. i don't want to forget any of my first impressions, including acquisition and shipping. thought u pros might get a laugh. i'm nervous about turning it on that it might take off on me and bounce around and hit me.

I suggest not worrying too much about bashing up your NineBot wheel as it's probably going to be your learner wheel, and understand that at first getting on it feels impossible. We have all been there; my initial go at EUC'S was pretty much "WTF" it was so difficult and then, quite quickly (see @Catlord17) what seemed impossible became enjoyable and perhaps easy.

So go forth and bash up you 9bot.

I have to say I continue to be impressed by the design of the accessory ninebot pads. I've dropped my ninebot a few times on asphalt and pavement and the ninebot still looks fine. I'm basically over trying to keep the wheels pristine though. My KS-16s looks like a mess now but it's my everyday commuter wheel so I expect it to show some signs of wear. No point in babying it imo. That being said you really do beat it up a lot in the first few days of learning so maybe some padding would be advisable at the beginning.

1 minute ago, novazeus said:

@electricpen i'm glad you like those. hopefully i'll love this ninebot and i'll want another and actually get a white one too so i can use the blue pads if they ever get here. are those threaded inserts on the fenders for those?

No those are decorative, it is attached solely with double stick tape.

For the last few days I have been unable to ride or practice because of a combination of crappy weather and working a lot.  I was starting to become concerned that I was backsliding into losing my skills, and when Cameron suggested we go practice, and I determined that the rain was finished for the day, I decided to go do it.  Even though there were still puddles, and wet shoes on the MSuper V3s+ pedals is asking to slip off.

We went to City Center, and it was the end of some sort of event so we parked in a different area than where I usually go and still had plenty of open parking lot unhindered.  I got all geared up, and he had the bike helmet I gave him, but of course he had not taken my advice to get the rest of the gear.

I hopped on and was surprised when it was first try, and I then did some figure 8's around the parking lot and came back.  I set the tiltback to 6 kph for him, and he proceeded to try too hard, which I told him.  I think he was trying too hard to catch up to my level of skill, since he doesn't get to ride it much.  But he was trying to go too fast, too fast, and I told him so.  He was leaning really hard on it, and going from 0 to 6 kph immediately, which he wasn't ready to be doing.

I ended up riding it about a quarter mile to the local gas station to get something to drink, and we had the clerk asking what it was and come outside to see me ride it.  Then I rode it back, and looped around, got behind him and my girlfriend (who were walking back) and tried to do walking speed.  Did that for a little bit, and then came off.

I had occasion to get on it several times while we were practicing, and I noted that somehow, even with wet shoes, I was hopping on in one try without slipping, and having no problem going.  This was quite a surprise, because it indicated that despite my having been inactive for three days, I was actually gaining in skill during that time!  Mounting on the first try is easier now, turning is much easier, and my feet don't hurt most of the time.

Next, he got back on and I showed him how to let the wheel fall between his legs and control it by bending one knee and keeping the other straight as a way of turning.  Once again he was trying to learn too much and go too hard too fast.  While slowing down, he fell off and ripped his pants and seriously skinned his knee, and bruised his shin and ankle.  We stopped there and took him back to my house, where I disinfected the wound, patched him up and removed the gravel from it.  

"Congratulations," I told him.  "Now you've graduated to being a real wheeler.  And from now on, you will be required to wear the full gear set to be allowed to ride my wheel."

He agreed.  I think this time (the third time I told him to get gear), he will actually do it.

All in all, fun night.  I'm amazed that I can still be gaining in skill after three days without practice.  Now it feels so natural that I was actually able to go slowly and use my cell phone without issue.

There's still things I need to work on, but I'm definitely skilled enough to use it to replace my car now.

Side note, four days ago I fell for the second time, as a result of having the sidewalk suddenly transition to an asphalt driveway that was at a steep angle.  I don't know how I didn't see that, but I came off and landed partly on the sidewalk and partly in the grass.  The gear has paid for itself in pain and suffering twice now, but my rear view mirror is nowhere to be found...

Nice!

Go ride some trails in the forest. I did/do that and it's amazing how it improves your skill. It takes a lot more concentration and "reading" of the road ahead. When you get back to paved roads it's soo much easier. Obstacles are a lot easier too, as on paved roads they are "logical" and straight, whilst rocks, branches etc etc all have very organic random shapes you have to deal with. I made big progress in little time doing this. Don't forget to leash your euc, because you will lose balance at some point (at low speeds usually) and at least you don't damage it that way.

Just my 2 cents :) 

5 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Nice!

Go ride some trails in the forest. I did/do that and it's amazing how it improves your skill. It takes a lot more concentration and "reading" of the road ahead. When you get back to paved roads it's soo much easier. Obstacles are a lot easier too, as on paved roads they are "logical" and straight, whilst rocks, branches etc etc all have very organic random shapes you have to deal with. I made big progress in little time doing this. Don't forget to leash your euc, because you will lose balance at some point (at low speeds usually) and at least you don't damage it that way.

Just my 2 cents :) 

I am working up to that for sure, since I love going on trails in the woods (on foot), but so far I don't seem to have sufficient skill to do it on the UEC.  I guess it's time to start trying for that as a new challenge.  Maybe I can even ride from my house to the closest one, although I am unsure there are bike lanes or sidewalks all the way there, so riding in the grass may become necessary just to get there!

11 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I was starting to become concerned that I was backsliding into losing my skills

That does not happen, just like riding a bike. As a beginner, you'll even notice you learn in the time you don't ride, your brain still processes the old information and you will be better the next time you go.

11 hours ago, Catlord17 said:

I set the tiltback to 6 kph for him, and he proceeded to try too hard, which I told him.

6 km/h tiltback is just cruel. Way too slow, as going faster is more stable. New riders won't go too fast on their own instinct, no need to set any extra tiltback for them. It's just counterproductive, just when they are going well, suddenly a tiltback will throw them off. They'll learn that actual riding produces a problem (just like the Gotway pedal dipping in curves ruined my learning of curves, and in curves I'm still not 100% trusting the wheel won't suddenly dip just from that stupid short phase before I got it fixed).

I had a friend try my ACM for the first time yesterday, after 15 mins along a fence and some hours break where we did other stuff, towards the end of a second 15 mins session, he could pretty much go already (wobbly, but basically as far as he wanted). A 6 km/h tiltback would have ruined exactly that experience of success, not let him go fast enough to stabilize a bit, and throw him off just in the worst possible moments.

33 minutes ago, Catlord17 said:

I am working up to that for sure, since I love going on trails in the woods, but so far I don't seem to have sufficient skill.

If you can stay on the wheel on pavement, you can go on trails. Nothing makes you learn faster than doing something a bit harder than you're comfortable with. My first ride was on a sometimes snowy and icy mountain road with sometimes quite some incline. I learnt fast and a lot that day;)

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That does not happen, just like riding a bike. As a beginner, you'll even notice you learn in the time you don't ride, your brain still processes the old information and you will be better the next time you go.

6 km/h tiltback is just cruel. Way too slow, as going faster is more stable. New riders won't go too fast on their own instinct, no need to set any extra tiltback for them. It's just counterproductive, just when they are going well, suddenly a tiltback will throw them off. They'll learn that actual riding produces a problem (just like the Gotway pedal dipping in curves ruined my learning of curves, and in curves I'm still not 100% trusting the wheel won't suddenly dip just from that stupid short phase before I got it fixed).

I had a friend try my ACM for the first time yesterday, after 15 mins along a fence and some hours break where we did other stuff, towards the end of a second 15 mins session, he could pretty much go already (wobbly, but basically as far as he wanted. A 6 km/h tiltback would have ruined exactly that experience of success, not let him go fast enough to stabilize a bit, and throw him off just in the worst possible moment.

While a 6 kph tiltback might be ridiculous after a short while for most of us, he has maybe 1% of the experience on this wheel that I do.  So total riding time is about 2 hours.  At that time, I was definitely appreciating a 6 kph tiltback, on purpose, to keep me safe.  But this was not how we started out.  We started out with the wheel at a tiltback of 15 kph and he asked me to lower it from there.  Then later at the gas station I had reset it to 15 just for seeing if he still wanted the 6 kph, and he again almost faceplanted because he didn't have the control of his tilt, and asked me to put it back on 6 kph.  And when he fell, it was with that 6 kph in place.  Without knee/elbow/wrist pads, had it been higher, what would have happened to him?  I'd rather he learn to control his acceleration and not kill himself with my wheel.

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

If you can stay on the wheel on pavement, you can go on trails. Nothing makes you learn faster than doing something a bit harder than you're comfortable with. My first ride was on a sometimes snowy and icy mountain road with sometimes quite some incline. I learnt fast and a lot that day;)

I agree with you 100%.  That's why I'm going to use that as my next learning goal.  Plus, there are some trails I would like to visit that are so long and so remote that doing so on foot is pretty much hopeless unless you devote 10+ hours to it, for multiple days at a time.  While I could not ride the machine through all of that set of trails (some deep sugar sand in places), it would allow me to tour the area in a single day, without death by exhaustion or dehydration.

One of these days, I also want to do an endurance conditioning run, and ride from Fort Pierce, FL to Okeechobee, FL and back.  That is 37.8 miles in each direction.  I will probably have to set it up so that my friend receives me and I recharge at her house, before going back, since it would make me nervous to do in one go without someone to follow me, and those are major highways. (There is a sidewalk between them, though.)  But that's almost the full charge capacity of the wheel... 

4 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I can just speak for me and my friend, 6 km/h tiltback would have ruined both of our learning to ride:)

That's okay.  I'm sure we all do it differently.  Unfortunately, he is very tall and strongly tends to fall into the acceleration.

I think on hindsight, I seriously overestimated how many hours I have on the wheel, anyway. :thumbup:

Yep, I did some math and was surprised, 2 hours = 1% means you'd have 200 hours, which even at 10 km/h is 2000 km;)

Take enough to drink with you on your off-civilization ride, as a "what happens if for any reason I can't ride and have to walk out on foot" precaution (see Marty's mountain adventure).

Very cool with the long run, planned stuff like this is so much fun!!:w00t2:My feet get tired/flat quickly on pavement riding, but can go forever for gravel/more varied surfaces, so find a nice route that offers that if you can.

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Yep, I did some math and was surprised, 2 hours = 1% means you'd have 200 hours, which even at 10 km/h is 2000 km;)

Take enough to drink with you on your off-civilization ride, as a "what happens if for any reason I can't ride and have to walk out on foot" precaution (see Marty's mountain adventure).

Very cool with the long run, planned stuff like this is so much fun!!:w00t2:My feet get tired/flat quickly on pavement riding, but can go forever for gravel/more varied surfaces, so find a nice route that offers that if you can.

I'm going to set that as a goal for when I have a little more experience with the wheel, and of course do some prep work.  See how I feel after 10 miles, 20, etc. But in my backpack, I always carry my charger, a 2 liter of soda for sugar/caffeine in case of need for hydration, blood sugar or staying awake, and I carry some food as well.  Probably should add a first aid kit.  

Before I make that epic ride, I am going to go the route in my car and specifically pay attention to things like... where is there no sidewalk?  Does construction impede me?  Is there anywhere that is impassable?  Anywhere where I might be unsafe for specific reasons? I'm also planning to leave supplies hidden along the way at various intervals, just in case.  That is a lot of potential for problems, so I will also have someone on call to pick me up if the worst happens, if it starts to rain, lightning, etc.

But for now, I am still working up to that level of endurance I think.

Archived