V8 charger fuse blown?

Tim Koffler

I rode my  wheel this morning, parked it. Then upon returning a while later to ride it was totally unresponsive when I tried to turn it on. No lights, nothing.  I plugged it in and the charger did not have the little wind up sound it usually does.  So I'm assuming that the fuse in the charger blew? 

Any other thoughts?

Tim

That's odd.  I didn't think the V8's had fuses, only the KS16 series of wheels?   Ewwww charger fuse.... nevermind... Maybe a connector has gotten disconnected like the charging line from the port.  I think the V8 is a bit of a pain to disassemble, but there's a handy video available.  Maybe there is an issue with the battery BMS?  Can you take a voltage reading?

You said you rode the wheel, parked it, tried to turn it on and it wouldn't.  Sounds like a problem with the wheel, not the charger.  At least it is still under warranty if you don't get any good suggestions here, you can send it back to Jason to have it checked out.  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's video is where I would start, take off the shell and look for a loose or disconnected wire at the charge plug and power button, and check all the wiring for burn marks or bad connections.  Try wiggling the wires one by one while pressing the power button, maybe you can get it to turn on momentarily and at least know which wire has a bad connection.  You could probably fix a bad connection yourself.  Good luck and keep us posted.

20 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Maybe a connector has gotten disconnected like the charging line from the port.

2 hours ago, da_toni said:

Maybe you parked your wheel in the sun? Sounds a little bit like over temperature protection is active...

Nope it was in my dark (very dark. I have a backlit mirror that provides the only light) entryway with no windows.

Temp in my place was 70 - 75 F.

I had leaned it against the wall with it still on, and LEDs still on.  I do that quite often so it stays upright.  I ended up leaving it for a couple hours and when I checked back it didn't even cross my mind that the wheel was black (or turned off).  So i'm not sure if it jsut rocked back and forth running it out of battery or what.

2 hours ago, steve454 said:

You said you rode the wheel, parked it, tried to turn it on and it wouldn't.  Sounds like a problem with the wheel, not the charger.  At least it is still under warranty if you don't get any good suggestions here, you can send it back to Jason to have it checked out.  @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's video is where I would start, take off the shell and look for a loose or disconnected wire at the charge plug and power button, and check all the wiring for burn marks or bad connections.  Try wiggling the wires one by one while pressing the power button, maybe you can get it to turn on momentarily and at least know which wire has a bad connection.  You could probably fix a bad connection yourself.  Good luck and keep us posted.

This is possible. Checking connections tonight

10 minutes ago, Tim Koffler said:

I had leaned it against the wall with it still on, and LEDs still on.  I do that quite often so it stays upright.  I ended up leaving it for a couple hours and when I checked back it didn't even cross my mind that the wheel was black (or turned off).  So i'm not sure if it jsut rocked back and forth running it out of battery or what.

Apparently wheels can use a surprising amount of power when just balancing, depending on how you have it propped up. Hopefully that's it and a good charge will put things back to normal.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My Ninebot turns off by itself if it's left on and detects no activity.  Maybe the wheel  is in some weird deep sleep mode?  Maybe try contacting your dealer to find out or check with Jason McNeil?

So if you're a real smooth rider, Ninebot's can turn off on you, causing a face-plant??? Talk about dangerous. What a piece of crap

There's a reference to some sort of sleep mode on the V8.  Maybe there's a special sequence to wake it up?

Maybe one other guess is that the button under the handle could be stuck in the engaged setting shutting the wheel down?  It drives me crazy when I can't find the solution.

Fixed it!   I opened it up and unplugged and replugged the main wires back in and beep beep!    Good call Steve454....although you had me freaked out when I smelled warm plastic upon opening it and I was certain it was melting down.      

Thanks to everyone else's great suggestions, as well.  Probably took me 20 minutes to pop the case off  and unscrew the battery and replug the two main wires. 

Wheeling!!!!    I LOVE WHEELING!!!!!!

BEEP BEEP.  On Your Left.

Well, i tried to figure out how to add On the Road Again by Willie Nelson but no luck and I'm tired.   Someone help me out? :)

18 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

There's a reference to some sort of sleep mode on the V8.  Maybe there's a special sequence to wake it up?

Maybe one other guess is that the button under the handle could be stuck in the engaged setting shutting the wheel down?  It drives me crazy when I can't find the solution.

Just noticed that the two women in the background are ready to ride their Gotways.  Except they forgot the left knee pads and elbow pads and helmets.

On 6/27/2017 at 0:39 PM, Tim Koffler said:

Well, i tried to figure out how to add On the Road Again by Willie Nelson but no luck and I'm tired.   Someone help me out? :)

Just use the direct youtube-link, no /embed/, no youtu.be or such, just like  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AreAHWPzY

If the video will embed automatically while you're still writing the message, then you know it works.

On 6/27/2017 at 6:32 PM, steve454 said:

Except they forgot the left knee pads and elbow pads and helmets.

Their kneepads aren't for riding.

Archived