Best shoes for preventing foot fatigue?

eddiemoy

I've not been able to ride for more than an hour.  Anyone have a suggestion for foot comfort?  Best shoes for riding?  I was thinking a really good pair of running shoes?  Today I tried a mid top when I saw some people discussion on preventing foot injuries.  

• 2 weeks later...

Today I feel like I have revealed a magical secret regarding this topic. I have several different insoles, and I've been swapping them in and out my new modern side-zipper combat boots. The boots easily fit two thick insoles on top of each other so I have many choices. I finally admit that memory foam serves no purpose in mattresses, pillows, and especially in insoles. As it reacts to heat, after riding a while your feet will be warm resulting the foam to become just a thin layer of redundant crap.

595d13ef9bc42_Mil-teccombatboot.thumb.jpg.34f825e0eada06a8c1090bfe47ab9782.jpg

However, these memory foam insoles have a lower layer of this fantastic bouncy polyurethane that works marvellously as a shock absorbing insole! I ended up tearing the memory layer off, and glueing an elastic fabric directly on top of the 4-8mm polyurethane. Now I have default Finnish army marching insoles at the bottom, topped by this marvellous DIY polyurethane insole. And my foot pain was totally gone! Finally, after 2300 km. The pedal extenders I recently made are ofcourse a huge step themselves to reduce foot pain and gain control of the EUC.

595d13ed68475_InsoleDIY2.thumb.jpg.aec47a008c441a42cc7a1014f835676f.jpg

I used to ride with a 2.3 bar tire pressure since the cracks on the pavement - which we have a lot here - actually hurt my whole body. Today I made a 23 km trip with 2.8 bar pressure without issues. It was actually more comfortable than the bumpier 2.3 bar, only because of the stacked insoles.

I recommend everyone whose feet hurt while riding to check for insoles with not just a thin shock absorbing layer, but look for a thick bouncy material. Flat silicone didn't do it for me, but these really do!

595d13ebe2fff_InsoleDIY1.thumb.jpg.0e1214770adc1662870b82c649778101.jpg

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 2

I've been liking skateboard shoes lately. They have stiff soles but are still cushioned inside. Retro basketball shoes have been good for me too, like Jordan 1's and Dunks. The softer flexy options make my feet tired too fast. 

I'm very fond of these Danish shoes from Ecco. As a brand, they're known for making shoes that are really ergonomic, and of high quality. These have a surprisingly hard sole, good support for the arches and gel in the sole under the middle of the balls of the feet. The top is mesh, which is very nice in the summer.

ecco.thumb.jpg.720753bc02fa6a0f2efad340af9343fe.jpg

• Upvote 2

I used to wear walking boots or trainers with my Ninebot but with the ACM being a different ride I found wearing some big sturdy Lowa Combat boots helped as it's easier to wiggle the toes. They also provide great ankle support and make maneuvering the wheel easier.

I tend to ride with my toes over the front of the pedal so I don't need so much pressure to accelerate/cruise and my foot slightly overhangs the back meaning I have good pressure for breaking.

I also take turns lifting each foot so only a small section is pressing/resting on the front of the pedal.

The Monster is, hopefully going to be easier on the feet once I suss sitting while riding :)

• Upvote 1

On my ninebot I really had to place my feet correctly and move them from time to time, but now I have the MSuper and I must say that qua footing it is a completely different feel. No cramp or nasty feelings anymore.
BTW I am riding with normal sneakers.. 

I'm on a Ninebot One S1 and in the beginning I was getting bad foot pain when riding more that 15 minutes. I'd stop every so often to move my feet and get the blood flowing again. That helped for a little while but wasn't a good long term solution. I'd been riding with some soft soled Nike running shoes. A friend suggested a try some skateboarding shoes so I bought a pair of classic Nike Bazers. HUGE difference! They have a harder sole and the bottom is completely flat so it seems like the weight is distributed much more evenly than with the running shoes. Now I can ride for an hour without stopping no problem.

Another thing that seems to have helped is from Simon's video above, tilting one foot up at a time to get the blood flowing also alleviates some of the pain.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Michael Lutge said:

I'm on a Ninebot One S1 and in the beginning I was getting bad foot pain when riding more that 15 minutes. I'd stop every so often to move my feet and get the blood flowing again. That helped for a little while but wasn't a good long term solution. I'd been riding with some soft soled Nike running shoes. A friend suggested a try some skateboarding shoes so I bought a pair of classic Nike Bazers. HUGE difference! They have a harder sole and the bottom is completely flat so it seems like the weight is distributed much more evenly than with the running shoes. Now I can ride for an hour without stopping no problem.

Another thing that seems to have helped is from Simon's video above, tilting one foot up at a time to get the blood flowing also alleviates some of the pain.

That actually makes sense.  I've actually been trying to get shoes that are flexible.  Thanks!

6 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

That actually makes sense.  I've actually been trying to get shoes that are flexible.  Thanks!

Yeah, harder soles = less pain.

As long as the sole is still grippy of course.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

image.png.55c241ceb5e232a70b70cfd36ebdec58.png

Van shoes are great but not warm and def not absorbing the pressure from bumps.  Soles, suspension wheel and flexed knees are the good solution 4U. Do I need the overpriced jelly ones or is a DIY solution OK?  

7 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

image.png.55c241ceb5e232a70b70cfd36ebdec58.png

Van shoes are great but not warm and def not absorbing the pressure from bumps.  Soles, suspension wheel and flexed knees are the good solution 4U. Do I need the overpriced jelly ones or is a DIY solution OK?  

The Scholl insoles did nothing for me, as I need much more arch from the insoles. But this is just it, it’s impossible to really recommend insoles or shoes for the huge variety of different kinds of feet we all have. 

To me its objective: 

What is the shock absorbing qualitites of different materials - the individual arching here and there is additional. Can you DIY this instead of paying for overpriced EVA foam?  In general we pay a lot for rubbery thangs that are backed by "science" is it b.s.?  I Frankly suspect it is.  The DIY insole I made is not strong enough for the EUC riding it seems, are the "professional" products stronger?  

The foot have remarcalbe shock absorbing abilities, but not enough for EUC riding it seems. I want the Van flat sole and ancle support.  Suspension wheel (probably not Gotway?) and flexed knees are very helpfull. Insoles could be additional if we find the right material or alternatively leave it to so called "experts" selling overpriced jelly stuff.  

This 20 USD product is "magic" Pedag - SNEAKER MAGIC STEP - Skosåler - grey/orange - 1
I dont believe in magic really. But prices vary from 20 USD to 200 USD.  Whats the logic if there is any?  The logic of 

Commodity fetishism  ?  

Insoles, shoeinsole, unisex, sportsinsole

Edited by Finn Bjerke

I wear flat, stiff soled shoes that sit low on my ankles. My feet hurt after about 30 minutes. After two hours, the toes on my right foot went numb. Because I'm right footed, that one seems to take more pressure. I've considered something with more ankle support. Thanks for some of the suggestions.