Most frequently asked questions?

Henrik Olsen

Hi Guys

I'm thinking about doing a video for my YouTube channel (Drones & Electric Unicycles) to cover the most basic/general questions about Electric Unicycles.

Let me start out with my Top 5: 

1. Is it difficult to lean?
  2. How much is it?
  3. What is the range?
  4. How fast does it go?
  5. Is it legal?

To make it relevant I want to check in with you guys and hear what questions you get?

In England, where people are a little more emotionally-retarded and stand-offish, the overwhelming question I get more than any other is (in an attempt at casual): 'what are those called?'

When I tell them, they give me a laid-back 'oh right, ok' and then walk off. Obviously they're going home to do a full youtube/google/twitter investigation ?

10 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

Hi Guys

I'm thinking about doing a video for my YouTube channel (Drones & Electric Unicycles) to cover the most basic/general questions about Electric Unicycles.

Let me start out with my Top 5: 

2. How much is it?
  3. What is the range?
  4. How fast does it go?
  5. Is it legal?

To make it relevant I want to check in with you guys and hear what questions you get?

Yup J is often asked the same questions

10 hours ago, Henrik Olsen said:

I'm only just starting, but so far I got a "What the hell is that?"

Not from a question, but I think a major thing people should know is that your weight will affect pretty much everything -- how strong a motor you should get, how big a battery, how safe you are, how easy will it be for you to climb hills ... if you're heavy and need a big machine, now you have to deal with how heavy a big machine is ... etc etc.  The little guys can ride any machine and have it much easier going up hills ... but the average American male weighs 190 pounds and the average female weights 160.  Basically the average person is heavier than a lot of wheels recommend to even use the things.

And another one, I've gotten asked what kind of safety gear do you need, by people just talking about them with me and people seeing me practice.  (I'm not really a real rider yet, just a practicer.)  There's a lot of meat in that topic ... maybe life and death stuff too, so worth bringing up at least in passing.

"That one looks fantastic!" (Quite a few people, GT16 looks awesome)

"Wow, he even has a rear-view mirror! Ha ha ha ha..." (Secretly envious teen)

"Mommy, mommy, look! Soooo coooool!" (Just about every kid I pass)

"Is it hard to learn?" (Anyone catching me standing still.)

"How far does it go?" (Anyone catching me standing still.)

"How fast can you drive?" (Anyone catching me standing still.)

"That looks bloody dangerous!" (Anyone catching me standing still.)

"That thing really moves!" (Me zipping past at >15 mph)

"Swaaaag!" (Teen)

"Oh, I want one of those!" (Girl nudging her boyfriend today)

"Can I try?" (Yeah right, I'm going to lend my €1700 EUC to a complete stranger...)

"You're a true original... :P" (My boss, in a friendly tone)

If I ever go walking and manage to catch an unknown EUC-rider, I think I will try to keep a straight face and ask this:

• Is it hard to learn?
  • Isn't it dangerous?
  • Aren't you afraid of falling off?
  • Does it balance like a Segway?
  • How do you accelerate?
  • How fast can you drive?
  • Jesus that was fast! Do you have some kind of brake or something?
  • How far can you drive?
  • Wow that was far, it must have some mean batteries in it, what kind is it?
  • What is that called?
  • How much does it cost?
  • Where did you buy it?

At this stage, the poor guy/girl is probably wishing he/she could knock me out with the wheel, so I would have to relent...

– Sorry friend, I just couldn't resist. In fact I ride a Rockwheel GT16 myself, just not today. Please don't kill me...

:whistling:

On 2017-6-19 at 10:19 AM, Henrik Olsen said:

There must have been Freud in play ;)

3 hours ago, Scatcat said:

"Can I try?" (Yeah right, I'm going to lend my €1700 EUC to a complete stranger...)

hmm, I let strangers try all the time. I do say no sometimes, but more often I say yes. And I probably would do it even if I had paid 1700 bucks. Didn't you buy yours used?

My favorite question: "Have you ever fallen off / crashed?" Then I show them my scars.  I let people try the wheel if they want though. It's amazing how some people get the hang of it almost immediately, especially the kids. 

11 hours ago, Mono said:

There must have been Freud in play ;)

hmm, I let strangers try all the time. I do say no sometimes, but more often I say yes. And I probably would do it even if I had paid 1700 bucks. Didn't you buy yours used?

I think you're probably a bigger man than me. I would let someone try it, in a situation where I judged it was reasonably safe to do so. But if I felt the least bit uncomfortable, I would say no.

While I sounded as if it's just about the money, that ain't entirely true. On a flat surface, where I feel the risk of hitting bystanders, cars, trees etcetera is small, I probably wouldn't worry too much about scuffs and such. The conditions matter, as well as my impression of the person and the people around him/her.

In this case it was a girl in a "gangsta type" teen-gang, sitting outside a museum building, that in turn sits on top of a hill in a big wooded park in Gothenburg. The gang as such wasn't really intimidating, but the attitude of gangs are not a good starting point for testing. The idea of letting her try the EUC, without any form of protection, when the drop from the road is rather drastic, pretty close to 100%/45°, is enough to give me goosebumps - and not the good kind... I couldn't even lend her my helmet, as I have size 61 (metric).

testing-euc.thumb.jpg.0e82b28e69fc0d03f2ebdf71a425f11d.jpg

In that kind of situation, I would only let someone I knew and trusted, and that has ridden EUCs before try. Not a complete stranger, a teen, in a gang, in a slightly dangerous environment.

6 hours ago, Scatcat said:

I couldn't even lend her my helmet, as I have size 61 (metric).  

In that kind of situation, I would only let someone I knew and trusted, and that has ridden EUCs before try. Not a complete stranger, a teen, in a gang, in a slightly dangerous environment.

I'll shake a hand, grab a shopping cart and push it around without worrying about wiping it down first, let a stranger borrow a pen, but that's about my limit.  I wouldn't want someone using my helmet, frankly, any more than I would want them using my handkerchief or toothbrush..

I've done wine tastings with friends, and just about the only time I ever catch a cold is when someone asks to drink out of my glass, which always happens there.  Or else someone gathers the glasses and gives them a quick rinse in plain water and then back again they go with the lipstick still on them for another round.  I just don't do it anymore.

Per EUC's specifically, I'm not convinced that letting someone try out something that can take weeks to learn and cause injury while trying is doing them a favor. Plus what happens if the wheel goes flying and hits someone/something?  I don't see any way to escape the blame for setting up a situation that could allow any of those things to happen.  

Archived