Is it time for British Police Officers to carry guns?

To be honest with the ability to travel anywhere now, our world is a mixed up place of all cultures and tolerance has got to be way way better than guns.

For example the translation that has been added onto this Bollywood video has really helped me understand why Bollywood movies are so popular. In fact, I'm suprised it isn't @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's theme tune:

There's a fundemental contradiction that most people have to resolve.

Should the many be punished for the deeds of a few?

So if you ask if Muslims should be controlled at the border, then you answer yes the many should be punished for the deeds of a few.

Yet ask the same person if gun control should be invoked because a few criminals use guns, and they usually say no.

That's a contradiction.

Ask a social liberal if Muslims should be punished for a few bombings; if they say no then ask them if gun control should be invoked and chances are they will say yes.

Again, that's a contradiction.

I guess one could resolve these contradictions by saying we need an armed populace to protect ourselves from attacking Muslims. That to me seems a low-intensity war. Also, the more guns floating around the more likely people are to use them.

Being a peaceful and accepting person reminds me of this memoir I read some years back, about a Hell's Angel (or Mongols I forgot which) member. What's interesting is how often these guys would ambush civilians for whatever reason. They never went looking for trouble but it always seemed to find them. In reality they were opportunistic predators who also spread the word of respect by cowing people by randomly attacking them. You may be minding your own business but at any time and for any or no reason you could be attacked by a Hell's Angel. You might not think you deserve it but your mere presence and lack of subservience makes you a target.

While this forum is primarily for euc discussion and while nobody in this off-topic sub-forum thread has "violated anything" (yet), The moderator team and I can see this thread POTENTIALLY get out of control. Therefore, before anything bad happens, I'll paste the relevant paragraph from the forum rules here hopefully to prevent the "something bad" from happening. :unsure:

Be good to one another. Don’t insult anyone directly, including the staff. Don’t use hate speech of any kind, including (but not limited to) hate speech related to ethnicity, race, sexuality, gender, religion, political inclination, or anything else deemed inappropriate by the moderation team.

40 minutes ago, John Eucist said:

While nobody in this thread has "violated anything" (yet), I can see this thread POTENTIALLY get out of control. Therefore, before anything bad happens, I'll paste the relevant paragraph from the forum rules here hopefully to prevent the "something bad" from happening.

Be good to one another. Don’t insult anyone directly, including the staff. Don’t use hate speech of any kind, including (but not limited to) hate speech related to ethnicity, race, sexuality, gender, religion, political inclination, or anything else deemed inappropriate by the moderation team.

I have never seen, both in real-life and online, a more respectful and carefully reasoned arguments for and against immigrants.

THIS is how people should relate to people who may or may not think like them, or be like them.

3 hours ago, John Eucist said:

Great refresher and definately relevant! Was 'including the staff' just added?:)

:popcorn: Who be hatin'?  :efee47c9c8:  Actually I be hatin'!  I hate the death and carnage that I see on the news caused by a few bad apples.  Sure they might have their own justifications in their minds to do what they do, but I wonder what response can there be to help reduce the problem to protect the innocent.  When I hear stories of a some young lady travelling with her fiance getting run down by a van in the prime of her life, it just makes me upset.  Hearing that three men stabbed a helpless woman angers me.  Listening to news about one policeman trying to take on all three attackers by himself without a gun kinda makes my stomach churn. 130 people killed in France by terrorists with machine guns and 86 run down by a guy in a truck?  It's agonizing to hear about these events!

I think we all know that it's not the religion, but the people twisting it's doctrines to suit their own agendas.  I know plenty of very nice Muslim people, and I hear that a core value of their religion is against terrorism.  It's like those Christian extremist cults in the US where certain people are able to influence others to follow how they want to interpret their religion.  I don't think anyone should paint everyone that follows the same religion with the same brush as that would be a terrible mistake.  The same goes for immigrants.  American is a melting pot of immigrants, and Canada's diverse culture would not be the same without them.

Am I enticing forum terrorism by discussing the subject?  I hope not!  :innocent1:   In any case, I trust that the forum moderators are equipped with the proper means to stop anything in its tracks as they see fit.

More people die from mundane violence or accidents than from terrorist attacks in any country. A few dozen kids died in that Ariana Grande concert in Manchester but it's likely that more kids will die in the USA this year from drowning in 5-gallon buckets. All that attention to a small number of deaths caused by crazy people just encourages like-minded crazy people to follow their lead. Copycat violence is a well-documented problem.

I don't think we're addressing the issue realistically unless we get into what someone will surely call hate speech.  Merely bringing such subjects up will always automatically offend someone, first of all.  Second, that is all that is needed for someone to start saying "hate" to shut discussions down.  Works almost every time, so the attempt is made opportunistically.  I hope it won't work here.  

My contribution to addressing the problems realistically is to note that there is no way to divorce the terrorists from their cause.  It is not that we don't know why they do it.  They tell us why.  Precisely and at length, and have done so for decades.  They will continue to do so, and there will never be lack of clarity about it on their part.  They will attest to their motivation in the loudest, clearest voices they can.  We can continue to insist that they must be talking about something else.  That they must, in fact, not be committing terrorist attacks for the reasons that they say they are, but that's simply a game.  

Certainly nothing is going to change by insisting we don't know what's going and and that nobody else does either.  The terrorists are telling us why they are doing what they are doing.  We would at least be taking a step forward by taking them at their word.

1 hour ago, dmethvin said:

A few dozen kids died in that Ariana Grande concert in Manchester but it's likely that more kids will die in the USA this year from drowning in 5-gallon buckets

Kids that unfortunately die in 5 gallon buckets of water or any other abstract analogy pales in comparison to blowing up, running down or slicing the throats of innocent children and their families. 

10s of thousands of Islamic Extremists are seeking to impose their deceptive religious beliefs on mankind worldwide. They are masterminding an eradication of any individual that does not fully agree with their extremist interpretation of the Quran! 

Men, women and children have been brutally murdered at the hands of these monsters! Exclusion from consciousness may easy emotions but we cannot ignore the fact that our moral civilized societies are under attack!

Archived