Water damaged Ninebot E

Munsense

Had a mishap today, my Ninebot E fell into the river. I jumped in and got it back. The battery smoked and caught on fire, and I managed to disconnect it after. Should I get another control board and battery to try to fix it? Could someone please advise what gets damaged by water? Would the motor be ok?

9 hours ago, Munsense said:

Had a mishap today, my Ninebot E fell into the river. I jumped in and got it back. The battery smoked and caught on fire, and I managed to disconnect it after. Should I get another control board and battery to try to fix it? Could someone please advise what gets damaged by water? Would the motor be ok?

Keep it for parts and buy another wheel.  I'm serious, don't try to fix it.  Turn in the battery to a electronics recycler, but in the right now, leave it outside away from anything flammable.:pooping:

16 hours ago, Munsense said:

Ninebot One is water resistant for the most part. But the Connections are not waterproof. So if the connections (or charging port) were exposed to water - then the battery gave up the ghost.

But motor and controller are sealed and should be good to use again.

Thanks for the advice, that's good to know! Ok- battery has been discarded, I've ordered a new bot, and am keeping the motor, controller and housing for a future repair project then. Will wear a leash from bot to my belt next time I ride by the river. Lol. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Munsense said:

<snip>Will wear a leash from bot to my belt next time I ride by the river. Lol. Thanks.

I hope it's not a deep river :cry2:

On 19/01/2017 at 4:22 PM, Munsense said:

Could someone please advise what gets damaged by water? Would the motor be ok?

2 years ago my wheel (it was a X3 clone) decided to jump into water and stay close to 1 hour at 2 m deep.

I found a solution to take it back but water enter everywhere inside. I had to disassemble all parts in order to dry them.
For the motor, I had to remove tire, inner tube and to open both side to allow water to go out. And I've put the motor inside a big bag with rice during 48h.
Same thing with the control board (and the shell), I put it inside a bag (the bag need to be close) with rice.
The battery was out of order and I have to buy a new one.

And after 48h waiting, I have put all parts in place and the wheel have restarted. and it works all time until now.

So it's possible to save some parts but you need to full dry them asap to prevent from water's damage.

Wow that's quite interesting. Great job getting that back to life, smallexis. I have bought a new ninebot E+ now. I'm just considering if I can swap out the new E+ Control board and battery into the drowned Ninebot E just to see if the motor and all still work. Or am I asking for trouble? Also anyone has any idea for a leash to keep the bot from running away to have a swim again?

2 hours ago, Munsense said:

I'm just considering if I can swap out the new E+ Control board and battery into the drowned Ninebot E just to see if the motor and all still work. Or am I asking for trouble?

Just make sure, the motor is really properly dried out before you put any electricity in it! The big bag of rice method is definately recommended to carry out before trying to revive it.

On 27/01/2017 at 4:33 PM, Munsense said:

Also anyone has any idea for a leash to keep the bot from running away to have a swim again?

I was using an outdoors baggage strap as a leash for a year or so. First, I connected it tightly with my belt. This resulted in one of my less pleasant falls by stumbling over the leash when I was trying to run off. Then I just slid it through under my belt from below, such that it could glide out easily. Like this I could sometimes grab it before the wheel escaped or the wheel got out of balance just from pulling the strap out. I believe I didn't have any run away with the loosely attached leash, nor a fall due to it. By now I don't use a leash anymore, I am confident enough that I can prevent a run away most of the time without.

46 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Depending on how fast you go, maybe an elastic leash would be good so it does not drag you away in the worst case. Something like a bungee cord.

But then make darn sure that it is very safely attached. If you stretch a bungee cord and then the connection breaks it becomes a pretty dangerously moving object.

Been there done that!  Battery did not fry, but I fried a mosfet on the the controller after riding it back to the car. Repaired the board, its now a spare.  Your Bot motor is a sealed unit, so should be OK, the controller I would clean with a good alcohol bath, because of all the dirt collected over time in there and water made MUD.

Archived