Ever ordered a EUC from Taobao?

Evils

Hi guys,

I'm looking into buying a Inmotion V8 EUC and have been in contact with a seller on taobao that can directly ship to the US (battery and EUC separately) for a decent price. The seller has a pretty good review history and has been selling stuff on Aliexpress as well, so it seems to be a better choice than some new seller there.

What I'm wondering though, has anyone ordered with Taobao before? Experiences?

The price if 500 Yuan ~ $75 can't be real in that I can't imagine this could cover the costs of production even remotely. It also can't be a typo, as it says 500 - 4299. 

I don't know anything about taobao, but I have seen a number of positive reports on orders from reputable sellers/stores at aliexpress (rockwheel, sumtop), which (usually?) seem to work out fine.

Edited by Mono

Even the high end of the price range (~$600) is too low for a V8.  This appears to be from a Hong Kong seller (using traditional Chinese).  The problem for me with TaoBao is the payment.  You typically need a bank in China, and you need to open e-Payments at your bank (which I've done with Bank of China).  I've only ordered from TaoBao in China, so tell us how it goes.  Then you need a phone number in China.  Since you have direct contact with the seller, you can sidestep these.  Seems like a good deal, and I'd be interested in how it goes.

1 hour ago, Chris Westland said:

Even the high end of the price range (~$600) is too low for a V8.

I don't think so, at least not by much. I have seen several reports of successfully completed deals for around or somewhat under 700EUR including shipping to the Euro zone.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

Just search reddit.com for general, non-EUC Taobao buying experience (I've bought from AliExpress & Banggood with good results, but not Taobao yet).

From what I gather, it's like an eBay or Amazon in that it's more about who the seller is and their reputation.

The prices you see are largely intended for the Chinese market and don't readily list international shipping rates. (not sure if those rates appear if you follow through with purchase or if you have to contact the seller directly).

Often times, multiple sellers of the same EUC will all be the same or similar prices on Taobao, I've noticed.

Also, I've heard AliPay is the PayPal of China and will make transactions go way smoother when buying from these sites.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, EUCMania said:

That 500rmb is just a deposit. The real price is > 4000rmb.

Correct. The 4299 RMB is the real price.

2 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Just search reddit.com for general, non-EUC Taobao buying experience (I've bought from AliExpress & Banggood with good results, but not Taobao yet).

From what I gather, it's like an eBay or Amazon in that it's more about who the seller is and their reputation.

The prices you see are largely intended for the Chinese market and don't readily list international shipping rates. (not sure if those rates appear if you follow through with purchase or if you have to contact the seller directly).

Often times, multiple sellers of the same EUC will all be the same or similar prices on Taobao, I've noticed.

Also, I've heard AliPay is the PayPal of China and will make transactions go way smoother when buying from these sites.

I spend about 10k on Aliexpress in the last 24 months so far without much of an issue as Aliexpress will act in the interest of the buyer in 9/10 cases (at least for me) if something goes wrong. Patience is the thing you need the most though :D I think Aliexpress is basically just the international front for most buyers while Taobao is the Chinese Amazon.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

I don't think so, at least not by much. I have seen several reports of successfully completed deals for around or somewhat under 700EUR including shipping to the Euro zone.

If you look up the Inmotion V8 you can find a few deals on French Slickdeals getting the Inmotion V8 + Cover for a bit over 600€ ... Unfortunately, I missed that.

3 hours ago, Chris Westland said:

Even the high end of the price range (~$600) is too low for a V8.  This appears to be from a Hong Kong seller (using traditional Chinese).  The problem for me with TaoBao is the payment.  You typically need a bank in China, and you need to open e-Payments at your bank (which I've done with Bank of China).  I've only ordered from TaoBao in China, so tell us how it goes.  Then you need a phone number in China.  Since you have direct contact with the seller, you can sidestep these.  Seems like a good deal, and I'd be interested in how it goes.

What I posted is Taobao international. So far I had no issue whatsoever using my Chase issued Visa card. Shipping costs are declared at 999 RMB, after talking to the seller he said that the shipping would be accurate if he wouldn't have to ship the battery in a separate box. That way it's 1100 RMB

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Mono said:

Interesting.  Do they have the same batteries as Jason puts in his V8's (are they rated at 480 Wh?)

You should watch out and check as I heard from the french forum that inMotion decided to zone-lock the unit. 

You won't be able to connect the app and register the unit from outside China if you bought it in China.

(You might be able to use a VPN tho maybe)

I bought a lot of things from Banggood including my first generic wheel. Wondering why they couldn't carry notable brands like Ninebot, IPS, InMotion, GotWay etc. They do carry "some" but not the serious ones like MSuper, V8 level. If they do, I would rather buy from them than Taobao for the peace of mind and reputation.

On 18.1.2017 at 4:13 AM, Chris Westland said:

Interesting.  Do they have the same batteries as Jason puts in his V8's (are they rated at 480 Wh?)

yip, v8 is everywhere the same....just the v5f+ is jason special 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

yip, v8 is everywhere the same....just the v5f+ is jason special 

almost: the charge connector of Jasons V8s are apparently 4-pin GX12, while those I have seen delivered for France and/or from China are 3-pin GX12.

Edited by Mono

9 hours ago, Planetpapi said:

I bought a lot of things from Banggood including my first generic wheel. Wondering why they couldn't carry notable brands like Ninebot, IPS, InMotion, GotWay etc. They do carry "some" but not the serious ones like MSuper, V8 level.

I bought a TG T3 and a TG F3 from Banggood in addition to many other things. I have often wondered why they do not sell "serious" wheels.

12 hours ago, Mono said:

almost: the charge connector of Jasons V8s are apparently 4-pin GX12, while those I have seen delivered for France and/or from China are 3-pin GX12.

That's just because it has been different Kind of Batches....as far as i know.

Inmotion had make some changes

13 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

That's just because it has been different Kind of Batches....as far as i know.

Inmotion had make some changes

The shop I went to in Paris a week ago seemed not to be aware of these changes. And my V8 left the factory after December 12 and has a 3-pin connector.

• 2 years later...

I think, if you are buying from taobao you should also explore some similar options like this taobao agent. You will find plenty of taobao agents but I am just linking the one I know of. I you go theough all of those you will have a few good sellers to chose from rather than going for the only option.