Electric unicycles and the law

Juggler

5 minutes ago, jer said:

We need to keep a super low profile.

What is needed is invisibility cloaks.

Jer

(UK resident)

Good idea but a lot of EUC riders enjoy the attention they get from the general public! I know that's half the reason I ride down the promenade in Blackpool. Riding sensibly in places where bycicles are allowed/accepted ( not public hiways ) shouldn't attract much adverse publicity.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Steven Algoet said:

good news in Belgium: http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi/change_lg.pl?language=nl&la=N&table_name=wet&cn=2016072134

We can use it like a bike, as long as the speed limit is limited 'by design' to max 18 km/h.

No idea how they will control it... But maybe I put a sticker on it :P

Ive been thinking about this "by design" legal speed limit to make eucing legal. And my solution is max speed-specific firmware versions, customisable to the countries that require proof of max speed. Confused? Ok, listen loudly:

country "A" says EUC legal but max speed 18kmh.  

Wheel manufacturer "B" has a wheel that can do 30 kmh on firmware version 1.456

wheel manufacturer writes firmware version 1.666 that has max speed of 18kph and makes it clearly available on their app as an option for 18kph countries only, and that getting off 1.666 requires factory or dealer intervention , and will break the law if operated outside the rules of the country where ridden.

wheel manufacturer informs EUC community and it's known customers that 1.666 is available, and informs country "A" that 1.666 complies with their law, and gives instructions on how to check which app is running on their wheels

job done.

simples ?

• 4 months later...
On 01/12/2016 at 8:01 PM, Smoother said:

Ive been thinking about this "by design" legal speed limit to make eucing legal. And my solution is max speed-specific firmware versions, customisable to the countries that require proof of max speed. Confused? Ok, listen loudly:

country "A" says EUC legal but max speed 18kmh.  

Wheel manufacturer "B" has a wheel that can do 30 kmh on firmware version 1.456

wheel manufacturer writes firmware version 1.666 that has max speed of 18kph and makes it clearly available on their app as an option for 18kph countries only, and that getting off 1.666 requires factory or dealer intervention , and will break the law if operated outside the rules of the country where ridden.

wheel manufacturer informs EUC community and it's known customers that 1.666 is available, and informs country "A" that 1.666 complies with their law, and gives instructions on how to check which app is running on their wheels

job done.

simples ?

What a good idea, but hey, your thinking logically !!! The government in the UK don't!!!

On 02/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, Slaughthammer said:

I wish you happy faceplanting with a speed restricted wheel... Or otherwise happy slow riding, because if you program 18 km/h as maximums speed in the firmware, you should not exceed 12-14 km/h as you always need headroom for balancing.

Why would you face plant? surely the tilt back and warning sounds would just occur at a lower speed!!

On 2016-12-02 at 4:28 AM, Slaughthammer said:

I wish you happy faceplanting with a speed restricted wheel... Or otherwise happy slow riding, because if you program 18 km/h as maximums speed in the firmware, you should not exceed 12-14 km/h as you always need headroom for balancing.

I don't think you quite understand how these things work. 

3 hours ago, Juggler said:

Why would you face plant? surely the tilt back and warning sounds would just occur at a lower speed!!

Exactly this.

7 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: If you've read some of Slaughthammer's other postings, I don't think you'd make that statement, my fellow Canuckian.  :whistling:

I haven't read his other posts, only the one above, which isn't right.  If you set an 18kph limit on an EUC that can go much faster, it does not mean you will face plant at 18kph. Nor does it mean you have to ride at 12kph. 

34 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:blink: If you've read some of Slaughthammer's other postings, I don't think you'd make that statement, my fellow Canuckian.  :whistling:  Newbie newbs, I tell ya. :P

Instead of poking fun, why don't you explain how I'm wrong and how limiting an EUC's top speed to 18kph will in fact cause face planting or force the rider to travel at 12-14kph. 

And I'm not Canadian. 

25 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

And I'm not Canadian

Have you seen the documentary Being Canadian?  Kind of funny.  Canada seems like a good place to live.  At the end there is a scene where people from all over the world become citizens.  I never knew so many immigrants went to Canada before I saw that video.  The Mounties are cool, red and black, that's their color scheme.  (Blue Oyster Cult)

My bad... your location stated Canada.  Visitor to Canada?  Anyways, my statement was purely in response to yours stating that Slaughterhammer doesn't quite understand how these things work.  On the contrary it appears that he is quite knowledgeable as far as I can tell from his postings.  

Certainly there is that possibility that he hasn't a clue and is just making impulsive statements that seem to conflict with other people's opinions on the subject.  I will let him defend and explain his statements as they are not necessarily the same as mine.  I find that people seem to faceplant at any speed regardless of speed limitations.

In addition, one of my main reasons of frequenting this board is to poke fun at people.  I poke.  It's fun.  That is what I do.  :innocent1:  If you have a tender spot, expect me to be the first to poke it.  Now if you're a sexy, non-Canadian female well just be warned.  :whistling:  Ima poker.

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

My bad... your location stated Canada.  Visitor to Canada?  Anyways, my statement was purely in response to yours stating that Slaughterhammer doesn't quite understand how these things work.  On the contrary it appears that he is quite knowledgeable as far as I can tell from his postings.  

Certainly there is that possibility that he hasn't a clue and is just making impulsive statements that seem to conflict with other people's opinions on the subject.  I will let him defend and explain his statements as they are not necessarily the same as mine.  I find that people seem to faceplant at any speed regardless of speed limitations.

In addition, one of my main reasons of frequenting this board is to poke fun at people.  I poke.  It's fun.  That is what I do.  :innocent1:  If you have a tender spot, expect me to be the first to poke it.  Now if you're a sexy, non-Canadian female well just be warned.  :whistling:  Ima poker.

So you visit the forum to poke fun at people.  Well, every forum has its jester.  But I would kindly ask you to keep your fingers off my tender spots.  Going by your recent posts perhaps you need to find a girlfriend you can poke instead. Cheers. 

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I poke.  It's fun.  That is what I do.  :innocent1:  If you have a tender spot, expect me to be the first to poke it.  Now if you're a sexy, non-Canadian female well just be warned.  :whistling:  Ima poker.

The only inherent problem you face is that since you are of Canada,your poker is by definition inherently small.:laughbounce2: I.E.-you have a small poker.

33 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

Instead of poking fun, why don't you explain how I'm wrong and how limiting an EUC's top speed to 18kph will in fact cause face planting or force the rider to travel at 12-14kph. 

No worries, you are not wrong. Certainly not about the face planting thing. The point that a top speed of 18km/h means that the tiltback must set in at a speed somewhat lower than 18km/h remains to be true though and I guess is a concern for some people for some undisclosed reason. 

8 minutes ago, RooMiniPro said:

So you visit the forum to poke fun at people.  Well, every forum has its jester.  But I would kindly ask you to keep your fingers off my tender spots.

If you want a backup strategy, you can block users under Ignored Users in the pull down menu at the upper right. It's a useful way to reduce spam.

Just now, Mono said:

No worries, you are not wrong. Certainly not about the face planting thing. The point that a top speed of 18km/h means that the tiltback must set in at a speed somewhat lower than 18km/h remains to be true though and I guess is a concern for some people for some undisclosed reason. 

If you want a backup strategy, you can block user under Ignored Users in the pull down menu at the upper right. It's a useful way to reduce spam.

Yeah you're exactly right about tiltback kicking in as it approaches the top speed. Right now we can set any limit we want and tiltback will kick in slightly before it. 

Thanks for the tip on blocking. I can already see how useful that feature is going to be. I appreciate that. 

17 minutes ago, Mono said:

The point that a top speed of 18km/h means that the tiltback must set in at a speed somewhat lower than 18km/h remains to be true though and I guess is a concern for some people for some undisclosed reason. 

Fear of dying is not an undisclosed reason.:w00t2:

What manner of sorcery is this, the blocking Ignored user list?  :blink:

:cry2: Wh why do I get this sudden odd feeling that I'm on a few people's naughty list already?  Those people are missing out on 2273 awesome and interesting posts let me tell ya!!  Don't hate the blockee, hate the cold weather and resultant shrinkage!  :innocent1:

4 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Wh why do I get this sudden odd feeling that I'm on a few people's naughty list already?

No idea. 

8 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Fear of dying is not an undisclosed reason.:w00t2:

Not sure I see the connection between fear of tiltback setting in before max speed and fear dying...

Archived