My RE-learning is coming along... I guess (new day 3 update 11.15.16)

Greg Spalding

Back home. 2 1/2 hours hours in the rubberized floor pen. 

Not hurt only fell one time but the wheel tumbled many times I cannot ride more than 15 or 20 feet without remembering that I can't ride and then falling off but not falling on the ground.

I know that eventually muscle memory will kick in and I will be able to ride but the truth is I'm not sure how that transition occurs.

I am hoping to be able to ride much better by the end of tomorrow but as you know I am off for five days and I'm going to work on it every single day and I'm praying to God that five days from now or essentially four days from now I will be proficient at riding enough to be out on the street and improve my skills from there.

As @Marty Backe reminds me... Eventually muscle memory takes over I just don't see that transition right now.

I did ride but not that well year ago and I'm not usually the kind of person to have a mental block.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Your pathetic friend who owns three wheels and can now ride 15 feet (or 5 feet per wheel :rolleyes:)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I interesting case, this one... While a lot of people have learnt to ride an EUC, I don't know many who have re-learnt. And I suspect the "standard" comments may need to be tweaked slightly.

How's this though...

1. Relax! (Have a beer even) You need to ensure your body isn't too tense. 
  2. Don't start off trying to ride - try to circle... Get your first foot comfortably on the wheel (leg braced), other foot a bit away from the wheel and in line with the axle. Then instead of mounting, shift your weight toward the wheel and try to circle around your other foot. You will probably start hopping a little, but stick with it (shifting more weight) until you can comfortably circle, with your foot only there to pivot on. 
  3. Keep relaxing!

I think this will help with both your confidence and your "rolling memory."

I have, of course noticed that riding the MCM4 is far easier then the $224 training wheel I bought from eBay... 

I have padded both of them but feel that i'll learn quicker on the 14" GotWay... than the training wheel. Of course I'm sure the wheel Will take another 400 tumbles before I can ride without having to jump off so maybe you better use the training wheel to be a little bit kinder to the MCM4

1 minute ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I interesting case, this one... While a lot of people have learnt to ride an EUC, I don't know many who have re-learnt. And I suspect the "standard" comments may need to be tweaked slightly.

How's this though...

1. Relax! (Have a beer even) You need to ensure your body isn't too tense. 
  2. Don't start off trying to ride - try to circle... Get your first foot comfortably on the wheel (leg braced), other foot a bit away from the wheel and in line with the axle. Then instead of mounting, shift your weight toward the wheel and try to circle around your other foot. You will probably start hopping a little, but stick with it (shifting more weight) until you can comfortably circle, with your foot only there to pivot on. 
  3. Keep relaxing!

I think this will help with both your confidence and your "rolling memory."

Thank you for your suggestion. Getting on and off the wheel doesn't seem to be a problem from a standing start but once I push off I still only go about 10 or 15 feet before somehow I have convinced myself I can go no further and have to just mount as the wheel tumbles. I did practice my circles, of course. Maybe it is just a mental block, I suppose or maybe as I've aged my entire body has become more crooked :laughbounce2: and I am unable to navigate on one wheel in the straight line

Look for a quiet area and that can support the hand for a long time to avoid falls and to have more concentration in his muscular memory, the fear of the fall interrupts that process, in the penultimate video of Dufisthenics is seen as a young man learns to mount in 30 Minutes and I think that because I could support his hand on a fence and be able to concentrate more on the sensations of the wheel, when I learned to go back, it was like starting again, but you get, have a good time, greg

Following on from @Jose Otal's comment... Where are you practicing? 

Like riding a bike, you need to be looking ahead (not down) for better balance. Do you need a change of venue? 

Also, stick with the trainer wheel - it may be a bit harder, but that will only increase your skill, and the lower power may be more ideal at this point.

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Following on from @Jose Otal's comment... Where are you practicing? 

Like riding a bike, you need to be looking ahead (not down) for better balance. Do you need a change of venue? 

Also, stick with the trainer wheel - it may be a bit harder, but that will only increase your skill, and the lower power may be more ideal at this point.

I am on the Board of Trustees of the local school and was able to borrow one of their sports courts and has a rubberized floor and is the size of a tennis court and fully under cover away from the sun. I never found that the floor is forgiving in a better way than cement to a TUMBLING wheel.

I could practice on my own street outside but there is quite a Crown in the road which makes it difficult. I have a circular driveway fun it quite an angle and there really is no flat part let my neighbors driveway across the street isn't that long.

I understand about the looking ahead and not down. Again, I did write some more been a year ago when I don't know what's happened to me and of course I was hoping that my 230,000 miles on motorcycles over the years would be of some assistance, but obviously I'm a moron thinking that, apparently.

I appreciate all of your kind words and suggestions

I can go back to that rubberized environment later this afternoon and twice tomorrow before returning the key on Monday when the kids go back to school, of course.

I'd like to be able to improve my skills in the street entirely after that so I don't have to go back or ask to borrow that key again

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

A raíz de @Jose Otal comentario 's ... ¿Dónde estás practicando? 

Como andar en bicicleta, tiene que mire hacia adelante (no hacia abajo) para un mejor equilibrio. ¿Es necesario un cambio de lugar? 

Además, se pega con la rueda entrenador - que puede ser un poco más difícil, pero que sólo aumentará su habilidad, y el menor consumo de energía puede ser más ideal en este punto.

Sorry, but I do not understand the translation very well, I translate it all with the Google translator and it's a bit difficult, the question is in which country or in what area do I use the wheel? I'm from Spain - Baleares, Ibiza

9 minutes ago, Jose Otal said:

Sorry, but I do not understand the translation very well, I translate it all with the Google translator and it's a bit difficult, the question is in which country or in what area do I use the wheel? I'm from Spain - Baleares, Ibiza

I'm on the west coast of Florida.... In Clearwater, just west of Tampa

I'll go out for another hour to this evening into hours, twice tomorrow

Either I'll be riding..... Or, in traction :shock2:

So, as I'm reading it... It's been a while since you rolled, but you remember what you need to do (which is good).

It sounds to me that perhaps you might just be expecting a little too much a little too soon? Which I can understand would be frustrating (and make you tense).

Remember though that you already know you can do this. You just need to relax, and wait for your "aha" moment.

That knowing is probably the best and worst part... It is good because you don't need to go through the, "I'll never be able to do this" phase. But the flip side is that you are pressuring yourself to "hurry up and get on with it."

You need to not stress about getting this done in 5 days. Just stick with it until it happens! Remember that everyone here has been through this too - and the time lines are different for every one of us.

And of course, old dogs do take time to (re)learn new tricks!   :D

29 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So, as I'm reading it... It's been a while since you rolled, but you remember what you need to do (which is good).

It sounds to me that perhaps you might just be expecting a little too much a little too soon? Which I can understand would be frustrating (and make you tense).

Remember though that you already know you can do this. You just need to relax, and wait for your "aha" moment.

That knowing is probably the best and worst part... It is good because you don't need to go through the, "I'll never be able to do this" phase. But the flip side is that you are pressuring yourself to "hurry up and get on with it."

You need to not stress about getting this done in 5 days. Just stick with it until it happens! Remember that everyone here has been through this too - and the time lines are different for every one of us.

And of course, old dogs do take time to (re)learn new tricks!   :D

wow...

it is like you are COMPLETELY INSIDE MY HEAD

thank you....

where do i deposit the money for that excellent mind reading?

i'm dead serious....

SPOT ON, sir

thank you

1 hour ago, Jose Otal said:

Look for a quiet area and that can support the hand for a long time to avoid falls and to have more concentration in his muscular memory, the fear of the fall interrupts that process, in the penultimate video of Dufisthenics is seen as a young man learns to mount in 30 Minutes and I think that because I could support his hand on a fence and be able to concentrate more on the sensations of the wheel, when I learned to go back, it was like starting again, but you get, have a good time, greg

more great suggestions

thank you so much

i really appreciate it

Put a marker 10 feet farther away than you can go. When you want to jump off, try to reach the marker anyway before you dismount. Do not train to much each day. Maybe 20-30 minutes. Stop while you still want to try som more. Don't think to much. Just have fun :D

37 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

it is like you are COMPLETELY INSIDE MY HEAD

Well it was down to your head or @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's...

But his was dark and scary place that I didn't want to go!  :shock2:

And yours is just so roomy, with a lot of natural light - I just love the minimalist decor that you've gone with...   ;)

23 minutes ago, Frode said:

Put a marker 10 feet farther away than you can go. When you want to jump off, try to reach the marker anyway before you dismount. Do not train to much each day. Maybe 20-30 minutes. Stop while you still want to try som more. Don't think to much. Just have fun :D

I like this method a lot...

One of my turning points when learning was learning to 'turn' into the fall, once you master that - you can go for miles without falling.

Give it a bit of a twist to the hips.

That aside, post us a video, perhaps we can give more tips ((and have a little chuckle))

Go in a straight line, and fast. You can stay upright better at high speed. Even with a rubber floor, constant falling can be discouraging. See if you can find somewhere that has a long rail. When you feel you are losing balance, grab the rail. I used a balcony in my apartment building, so I had a rail on one side and a wall on the other, and a short distance to reach out and save myself when I began to fall. Later, when I "graduated" from the balcony, I found a building that had a nice long rail in the parking lot to continue my practicing.

7 minutes ago, Scully said:

One of my turning points when learning was learning to 'turn' into the fall, once you master that - you can go for miles without falling.

That was a major learning point for me too. Think of how you turn the front wheel of a bicycle to stay balanced.

3 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

I'm on the west coast of Florida.... In Clearwater, just west of Tampa

I'll go out for another hour to this evening into hours, twice tomorrow

Either I'll be riding..... Or, in traction :shock2:

So Greg........I'm going MASSIVELY off-topic here and I mean absolutely no offence if you are one but...........what's the deal with Scientology in your town? I know Clearwater is meant to be the 'spiritual home' of it and in the newspapers where I live (London) there are often stories about your town being 'taken over' by it. Any truth there or is this just tabloid B.S.?

(Again, I know off-topic but as soon as I saw the word 'Clearwater' I HAD to ask ?)

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well it was down to your head or @Hunka Hunka Burning Love's...

But his was dark and scary place that I didn't want to go!  :shock2:

And yours is just so roomy, with a lot of natural light - I just love the minimalist decor that you've gone with...   ;)

Heeeey :furious: I heard that!  Plus it's not all that dark in there.  I upgraded to new LED lighting in my mind palace!  :w00t2:

@Greg Spalding I thought you said you had ridden a friend's Ninebot for about 10-20 miles.  That's quite a distance so I think we all thought you had your uni-legs already.  That does explain the purchase of the learning generic wheel.  <_<

This video helped me a lot when I was learning.

2 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Heeeey :furious: I heard that!  Plus it's not all that dark in there.  I upgraded to new LED lighting in my mind palace!  :w00t2:

Hey don't get me wrong (and stop using that farting emoticon) - I didn't mean it in a bad way, more a Batman-dark way. 

And the LED lighting is good... I like the way it spells out, "Hunka Hunka Burning Love - Sex God!"

Ooh Batman-dark.  :wub:  Now that's a shade of grey that I can live with!  Yes I've been doing some fall mental clean up.  Dusting out the cobwebs, oiling the squeeky gears, feeding the hamster on the thought wheel... :innocent1:  It's good to empty the trash too as it just fills up over time.  And let me tell you, it's very trashy in there!  Watch where ya step!  :whistling:

2 hours ago, Frode said:

You are of course correct

Just went out for 40 more minutes and made no more progress just like everyone figures

It is human nature to believe you can succeed instantaneously and depressing when you cannot

Archived