My RE-learning is coming along... I guess (new day 3 update 11.15.16)

Greg Spalding

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Might want to open the wheel up to see what is rattling.  A loose screw bouncing around could land in a bad spot, and with 67.2 V at some spots it could be trouble. It could just be a loose cable wih a connector hitting the side.  If Jane Mo can do it with those long fingernails you can do it too!

You're giving me chest pain just thinking about doing that

That wasn't meant to be a joke... But I do appreciate your suggestion and that video link

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have you got a bridge local for learning? 
We have a nice quiet footbridge over a river which seems to work well.

Added bonus... if you fall over the railing, it's a nice soft landing (but maybe a little damp).

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have you got a bridge local for learning? 
We have a nice quiet footbridge over a river which seems to work well.

there is a bridge over the intracoastal at quite an incline but that might work

18 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Added bonus... if you fall over the railing, it's a nice soft landing (but maybe a little damp).

and above 120 feet of falling... :shock2:

3 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Might be time for some sublingual nitroglycerin spray a la Dr. @Snurre.  :whistling:

Should you be adding drug dealer pharmacist to your list of credentials?

On 11/13/2016 at 1:16 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If you are still struggling at the end of the month, let me know and I will come over and hold your hand while you get back on your feet (so to speak).

Wow! That is truly a generous offer given that New Zealand isn't exactly next door to Clearwater. I was otherwise going to suggest @Greg Spalding that you ask if you can visit Duf outside Naples or Jason in Miami. Not really next door either but not impossibly far. I think you would very quickly get appropriate advice from someone seeing you ride in person. When it comes to advice written blindly, not all advice applies to all people. 

8 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

Might be time for some sublingual nitroglycerin spray a la Dr. @Snurre.  :whistling:

Like for the Norwegian ski team I would recommend some Clostebol lip cream that yields a nice steroid gloss (improves kissing up) and a large dose of asthma medicine in case you encounter thin air up around the 2000's.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Snurre said:

Wow! That is truly a generous offer given that New Zealand isn't exactly next door to Clearwater. I was otherwise going to suggest @Greg Spalding that you ask if you can visit Duf outside Naples or Jason in Miami. Not really next door either but not impossibly far. I think you would very quickly get appropriate advice from someone seeing you ride in person. When it comes to advice written blindly, not all advice applies to all people. 

Like for the Norwegian ski team I would recommend some Clostebol lip cream that yields a nice steroid gloss (improves kissing up) and a large dose of asthma medicine in case you encounter thin air up around the 2000's.:thumbup:

you are very correct. 

i should travel down to naples to see @Duf but i think he's mad at me because i commented on his last FAMILY video about his girlfriend's daughter and her boyfriend NOT having ANY protection on while LEARNING how to ride on his VIDEO... :rolleyes:

I DO need a "COACH" who can continue to encourage me, in person. not everyone does, i suppose but i would like one

i wish a lot of folks lived closer.... they could train me for 3 days... i'd pay them whatever they wanted.... AND buy them a new wheel for their efforts

.... i'm NOT kidding

8 hours ago, Greg Spalding said:

you are very correct. 

i should travel down to naples to see @Duf but i think he's mad at me because i commented on his last FAMILY video about his girlfriend's daughter and her boyfriend NOT having ANY protection on while LEARNING how to ride on his VIDEO... :rolleyes:

I DO need a "COACH" who can continue to encourage me, in person. not everyone does, i suppose but i would like one

i wish a lot of folks lived closer.... they could train me for 3 days... i'd pay them whatever they wanted.... AND buy them a new wheel for their efforts

.... i'm NOT kidding

Haha I'm not mad at you Greg.  I saw your comment but didn't have a chance to get back on here.  I do agree that the kids need to be wearing safety gear especially when on the EUC.  I don't have full sets of spare safety gear but at a minimum I think they should have a helmet and wrist guards.  They are both very young and feel invincible just like I did at that age.  Hell I even have a hard time convincing Cindy to put the stuff on.

Just now, Duf said:

Haha I'm not mad at you Greg.  I saw your comment but didn't have a chance to get back on here.  I do agree that the kids need to be wearing safety gear especially when on the EUC.  I don't have full sets of spare safety gear but at a minimum I think they should have a helmet and wrist guards.  They are both very young and feel invincible just like I did at that age.  Hell I even have a hard time convincing Cindy to put the stuff on.

appreciate the message. i need someone to ENCOURAGE me

@Marty Backe, like you... did it by himself. for some reason didn't feel well today so DAY 3 was put on hold until tomorrow

i wish i had been with you and your family yesterday (IF i had bee invited, of course.... :D) and i'll bet just the encouragement of the 4 of you would have helped a great deal.

of course.... my basketball playing SUCKS even on my feet:P

So have you put in much time on the 200 dollar wheel?  Who cares if you crash it?  Mine has taken a bunch of tumbles and is still rolling along, slowly.   I have found with Cindy, Daniel, and Katie trying out the training wheel while rolling along a fence was a big help for all three of them.  What is your exact struggle you are currently having?  Balance? Turning? Mounting/dismounting?

25 minutes ago, Duf said:

So have you put in much time on the 200 dollar wheel?  Who cares if you crash it?  Mine has taken a bunch of tumbles and is still rolling along, slowly.   I have found with Cindy, Daniel, and Katie trying out the training wheel while rolling along a fence was a big help for all three of them.  What is your exact struggle you are currently having?  Balance? Turning? Mounting/dismounting?

6 hours on the GotWay MCM 4... about 2 hours on the $224.00 wheel/so much harder to ride/twitchy, etc... AS YOU KNOW... because you have one, too

mounting/dismounting fine... CONVINCING myself i won't fall over when riding straight (a mental block, i guess).

keep going too fast and just get out of control.... need to CALM DOWN and RIDE MORE SLOWLY so i can put my foot down whenever i need to

cannot START from a stop except when holding on to a pole or fence (which i guess is natural at this point)

couldn't ride today.... feeling a bit OFF/dizzy (NOT BECAUSE OF THE TRAINING)/i really don't know why

will go out again in the morning.... off until thursday... need to GET THIS DONE... THAT mentality isn't helping me..... i know

appreciate your help

11 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

couldn't ride today.... feeling a bit OFF/dizzy (NOT BECAUSE OF THE TRAINING)/i really don't know why

Physicians make for the worst patients.  :rolleyes:  How's the blood pressure, sugar levels?  My preliminary diagnosis is psychogenic vertigo.  Are you tired, dizzy, craving salt?  Might be low aldosterone.  My Google MD degree seems to come up with a myriad of possibilities. :smartass:   I'd recommend a full blood work-up, MRI, CT scan, pap smear, :pooping: sample, and ECG analysis before I can make my next Benz payment...er... tell you further about your condition.

Regarding the riding, maybe post up some videos so we can analyse your technique, offer helpful suggestions, and look at some more wild fashion choices.  :innocent1:

Greg.

Like yourself, I'm a motorcyclist. 

I was also a really good skier and in-line skater many years ago. 

To me, riding an EUC is a lot like riding a skateboard.  Imagine putting one foot (toes forward) on a skateboard, having your leg slightly bent, and just standing without moving.

Can you do that?  Now, imagine, still standing on a skateboard, but rolling slowly forward.  (Your other leg is dangling in the air.)  What's your balance like?  You're just standing right?  You don't want to lean your torso forwards or backwards because the skateboard will shoot out from underneath you right?  It's a static point of balance.

Riding the wheel is sort of the same way.  Imagine your standing, and about to sit down on a park bench that is behind you.  What do you do?  You bend your knees slightly, but keep your hips under your head, and maybe put your hands out in front of you to counter balance.

To me, that first 3" of squat, is what it's like to balance on the EUC.  Imagine if you had a separate skateboard under each foot and you were rolling slowly down a slight grade.  That's the feel of an EUC.  Have you ever down hill skied?  Just standing, knees slightly bent, and slowly gliding forward.  That's what riding an EUC felt like to me what I first learned.

Try this:  Hold onto a railing, or the top of a wall next to a walkway, and get standing on the EUC.  Your toes will be just hanging off the front of the pedals.  Your knees will be slightly bent (barely 10 degrees) Not just balance.  Try to keep the wheel completely still. Then ever so slightly, tip your toes down and the wheel will go forward.  Then bring it to a stop.  Now do the same thing, but go back wards.  Three feet forward, then three feet backwards while using a wall or something for balance.

Once you find the balance point for forwards and back and can stop, then it's a bit of a leaf of faith.  Remember when you first learned to ride a bicycle?  Going 1 - mph is very difficult.  The wheel will stabilize at about walking speed.  Get on the wheel, find the correct foot placement and get your balance point.  Then dip your toes and go froward.  Look ahead of you about 30 feet away, and stay balanced.  Once moving, the wheel will stabilize.  Anything under 5 mph, and it's not going to feel right.

I hope this helps.

Q~

5 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You can do all that or just get one of these... you're in Florida right?  Should be easy to snag one from some old folks home down there...  Pop a couple of chair castor wheels on the back, and you'll be rolling in style in no time!

walker-wheel-600x650.jpg

Ha!  Actually, I was going to suggest that Greg "borrows" a shopping cart and hold on to that until he finds his balance point.

Q~

23 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

You can do all that or just get one of these... you're in Florida right?  Should be easy to snag one from some old folks home down there...  Pop a couple of chair castor wheels on the back, and you'll be rolling in style in no time!

walker-wheel-600x650.jpg

That's a really cool idea. I wonder if it would indeed work to help train yourself. If it does, then that's a brilliant suggestion.

I was actually kidding as I think with the front wheels the walker might steer in a straight direction while the wheel might want to go another so it might not help that much!  ;)   But I guess you could just lift it up... Four steerable wheels would likely be better?  :mellow:

It might assist with maybe getting that initial balance and slowly going straight... ?  One thing for sure - it would look hilarious if we could see a video of it in action.  B)

Paging @Rehab1  paging @Rehab1.... consultation required in the geriatric EUC learning centre.... 

I wonder if this would work with two steerable wheels in front:

ML-G07811%20Guardian%205in%20Swivel%20Fr

43 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

That's a really cool idea. I wonder if it would indeed work to help train yourself. If it does, then that's a brilliant suggestion.

That's actually how I learned. the space where i could my cycle was limited so I had to use a walker. 

Physicians make for the worst patients.  :rolleyes:  How's the blood pressure, sugar levels?  My preliminary diagnosis is psychogenic vertigo.  Are you tired, dizzy, craving salt?  Might be low aldosterone.  My Google MD degree seems to come up with a myriad of possibilities. :smartass:   I'd recommend a full blood work-up, MRI, CT scan, pap smear, :pooping: sample, and ECG analysis before I can make my next Benz payment...er... tell you further about your condition.

Regarding the riding, maybe post up some videos so we can analyse your technique, offer helpful suggestions, and look at some more wild fashion choices.  :innocent1:

My favorite post of the day

You are hysterical... Thanks for giving me a great smile

1 hour ago, Questor said:

Greg.

Like yourself, I'm a motorcyclist. 

I was also a really good skier and in-line skater many years ago. 

To me, riding an EUC is a lot like riding a skateboard.  Imagine putting one foot (toes forward) on a skateboard, having your leg slightly bent, and just standing without moving.

Can you do that?  Now, imagine, still standing on a skateboard, but rolling slowly forward.  (Your other leg is dangling in the air.)  What's your balance like?  You're just standing right?  You don't want to lean your torso forwards or backwards because the skateboard will shoot out from underneath you right?  It's a static point of balance.

Riding the wheel is sort of the same way.  Imagine your standing, and about to sit down on a park bench that is behind you.  What do you do?  You bend your knees slightly, but keep your hips under your head, and maybe put your hands out in front of you to counter balance.

To me, that first 3" of squat, is what it's like to balance on the EUC.  Imagine if you had a separate skateboard under each foot and you were rolling slowly down a slight grade.  That's the feel of an EUC.  Have you ever down hill skied?  Just standing, knees slightly bent, and slowly gliding forward.  That's what riding an EUC felt like to me what I first learned.

Try this:  Hold onto a railing, or the top of a wall next to a walkway, and get standing on the EUC.  Your toes will be just hanging off the front of the pedals.  Your knees will be slightly bent (barely 10 degrees) Not just balance.  Try to keep the wheel completely still. Then ever so slightly, tip your toes down and the wheel will go forward.  Then bring it to a stop.  Now do the same thing, but go back wards.  Three feet forward, then three feet backwards while using a wall or something for balance.

Once you find the balance point for forwards and back and can stop, then it's a bit of a leaf of faith.  Remember when you first learned to ride a bicycle?  Going 1 - mph is very difficult.  The wheel will stabilize at about walking speed.  Get on the wheel, find the correct foot placement and get your balance point.  Then dip your toes and go froward.  Look ahead of you about 30 feet away, and stay balanced.  Once moving, the wheel will stabilize.  Anything under 5 mph, and it's not going to feel right.

I hope this helps.

Q~

I appreciate your great advice

I am going through the forward and backwards

I have been in that rubberized pen the size of the basketball court that was lent to me over the weekend I have been able to ride 30 or more feet without any problem on my MCM 4 which is taking a bit of a beating though I had a completely padded... I will move back to the training wheel now.

The problem is I gave the key back to that particular establishment and I cannot think of a place in this town in which lived for 25 years that has a long walkway with a railing next to it... It is all mind over matter now and I have encouraged many kids to learn how to ride bikes over the years and I know what is that leap of faith that I asked them to have when they were on two wheels

I have never downhill skied

But I do have many skateboards and long boards

I find myself going out in riding 10 or 15 feet and then somehow my brain says holy crap you cannot do this and then I fall off... A phenomenon I'm sure it is common to most people and their learning stage

The wheel does stabilize and I have been able to have the tiny fasciculations I'm turning the wheel left and right did keep it balanced but I suppose I do look down more than I look at head which is ridiculous because you are always going to go where you look including right into the ground in front of you.

I will find that railing I will continue my training is I am off the next two days

I just have to make that leap of faith and believe

I am charging up my training meal again and it continues to be all padded up and I'm going to leave my GotWays alone until I can ride better to protect my investment

Of course the training wheel is far more difficult to ride because it is not smooth and it is very twitchy the wood has the same 14 inch tire that is on my MCM 4.

I just need to get out there and put the hours in and all of a sudden those "AHA" moments will continue to occur as each of you have experienced

I just have to believe they will happen for me

I greatly appreciate your encouragement, more than you know... As well as all of your fantastic advice which I will take to heart and put into action

Thank you

As a side note, I'm so happy I found this wonderful gathering of like-minded folks who are willing to help each other because that means more to me than anything in the world

walker-wheel-600x650.jpg

My almost 87-year-old father has three I should just go borrow one of his :laughbounce2:

58 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It sure would be a sight rolling around town with one of those in front of me

Now that's a video which would get watched a lot :D

14 minutes ago, swvision said:

That's actually how I learned. the space where i could my cycle was limited so I had to use a walker. 

That is fascinating

Archived