My RE-learning is coming along... I guess (new day 3 update 11.15.16)

Greg Spalding

4 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

You are of course correct

Just went out for 40 more minutes and made no more progress just like everyone figures

It is human nature to believe you can succeed instantaneously and depressing when you cannot

But if it were easy, there wouldn't be a feeling of achievement when you (inevitably) succeed!

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Scully said:

One of my turning points when learning was learning to 'turn' into the fall, once you master that - you can go for miles without falling.

Give it a bit of a twist to the hips.

That aside, post us a video, perhaps we can give more tips ((and have a little chuckle))

Of course I always had to do that on my motorcycle and I know that it becomes second nature after a while

Training three hours this morning in forty 40 minutes this afternoon was a mistake because now all I am is exhausted

@Marty Backe just went out there and after a couple of hours started riding around his neighborhood because that's just the way some people do it but of course it won't be the way I do what I guess I'll just have to get over that.... 

At one point my wife was holding my finger as I was riding around and then I would let go and could ride 20 or 30 feet. The funny thing is I thought she looked like one of those dog handlers from the Westminster dog show... Running me around the ring to show in front of the judges. Odd that she wasn't amused when I told her :P

I'll have her take a video tomorrow and then I can officially get my medal.... For the man with the most posts and the least skill (I'd also like a sash in shit brown... :pooping:)

59 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Go in a straight line, and fast. You can stay upright better at high speed. Even with a rubber floor, constant falling can be discouraging. See if you can find somewhere that has a long rail. When you feel you are losing balance, grab the rail. I used a balcony in my apartment building, so I had a rail on one side and a wall on the other, and a short distance to reach out and save myself when I began to fall. Later, when I "graduated" from the balcony, I found a building that had a nice long rail in the parking lot to continue my practicing.

I appreciate the advice. At one point I was going pretty fast and I only fell once but the wheel took plenty of tumbles... Just when I had it my body reminded me I didn't and the wheel when into a terrible "death wobble" and then it was done

Once again, thank you

58 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I also wonder whether the rubberised floor might be making it harder to turn the wheel (higher friction coefficient and all)... 

It actually is rubberized but a very hard floor because it's a basketball arena for younger children

At one point I went out on the softball field and it has very fine hard-packed grass and had the same response though the training/underpowered wheel was straining a bit more

42 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

So Greg........I'm going MASSIVELY off-topic here and I mean absolutely no offence if you are one but...........what's the deal with Scientology in your town? I know Clearwater is meant to be the 'spiritual home' of it and in the newspapers where I live (London) there are often stories about your town being 'taken over' by it. Any truth there or is this just tabloid B.S.?

(Again, I know off-topic but as soon as I saw the word 'Clearwater' I HAD to ask ?)

You can start a whole other thread on that if you want

3 miles north of my home is the center of Scientology in the world

Thousands of people there all the time

It's the reason why there is no downtown development is no one wants to be there because they don't every single building and pay no taxes

I have nothing against any group of people including them but that is just the truth

On the other hand every single famous Scientologist you know has a house in my town within 2 miles of where I'm sitting... You name 'em, they're here

I've been in this town for 25 years and they predated me

I leave them alone and they leave me alone and probably a lot of them do come to my practice.

One funny story: as rumor has it that gentlemen ran for mayor in the mid-1970s, long before I moved here and used as his platform the promise that if he were elected he'd kick the Scientologists out of town... Of course, he won.... And the next day, after in his acceptance speech he reiterated what he was going to do... There was a picture of him in the local paper having sex with nine women and I think three horses and a bunny rabbit... 

he left town and was never seen again

Therefore, They are welcome in this town as long as they want to be here.... As far as I am concerned

40 minutes ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

@Greg Spalding I thought you said you had ridden a friend's Ninebot for about 10-20 miles.  That's quite a distance so I think we all thought you had your uni-legs already.  That does explain the purchase of the learning generic wheel.  <_<

This video helped me a lot when I was learning.

I did

That was a year ago

How the hell I have forgotten is beyond me

Was it the 350 miles on my miniPRO (I'm sure not)

Is it that I have a lack of coordination since birth and probably never should have been able to ride it in the first place (:rolleyes:probably)

I'm going to watch that video right now and I greatly appreciate your help

The truth is it's only been one day but of course I had the usual "it's never going to happen depression setting in", to be quite honest

I will go again tomorrow only because I have use of that area with the rubberized floor for only one more day even though I know I'll be too exhausted but maybe I will spend one hour there twice and see what I can do

Again, thank you

15 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

But if it were easy, there wouldn't be a feeling of achievement when you (inevitably) succeed!

Amen to that, my brother

I will keep at it, of course

Otherwise I will have to send all of you tickets to come to my house where i will prepare a hearty meal with some wonderful beverages and then raffle off my wheels :laughbounce2:

1 minute ago, Greg Spalding said:

Otherwise I will have to send all of you tickets to come to my house where i will prepare a hearty meal with some wonderful beverages and then raffle off my wheels :laughbounce2:

FYI - Fat Unicyclists don't fly coach. 

1 hour ago, Greg Spalding said:

You can start a whole other thread on that if you want

3 miles north of my home is the center of Scientology in the world

Thousands of people there all the time

It's the reason why there is no downtown development is no one wants to be there because they don't every single building and pay no taxes

I have nothing against any group of people including them but that is just the truth

On the other hand every single famous Scientologist you know has a house in my town within 2 miles of where I'm sitting... You name 'em, they're here

I've been in this town for 25 years and they predated me

I leave them alone and they leave me alone and probably a lot of them do come to my practice.

One funny story: as rumor has it that gentlemen ran for mayor in the mid-1970s, long before I moved here and used as his platform the promise that if he were elected he'd kick the Scientologists out of town... Of course, he won.... And the next day, after in his acceptance speech he reiterated what he was going to do... There was a picture of him in the local paper having sex with nine women and I think three horses and a bunny rabbit... 

he left town and was never seen again

Therefore, They are welcome in this town as long as they want to be here.... As far as I am concerned

Fascinating!

Yeah The Alex Gibney documentary "Going Clear" (not sure if you've seen it) was simultaneously terrifying, hilarious, and bizarre and Clearwater is mentioned more than once. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Amazing they've managed to secure that tax-exempt status given that it's the only 'religion' in the world that charges for 'knowledge.'

5 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

Fascinating!

Yeah The Alex Gibney documentary "Going Clear" (not sure if you've seen it) was simultaneously terrifying, hilarious, and bizarre and Clearwater is mentioned more than once. I recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it.

Amazing they've managed to secure that tax-exempt status given that it's the only 'religion' in the world that charges for 'knowledge.'

I've never understood tax exempt status for any church. I just don't understand since this country was founded on the tenet of separation church and state

After a recent election in this country is well documented that Scientologist cause a hell of a lot less problems this country than a lot of other religions... None of them deserve tax-exempt status. Thousands of acres in every city in America without any kind input into the tax rolls. I'll just never understand it. Again, I'm sure that is far too controversial for this forum... As well it should be

Clearwater, what a good name for the home of Scientology.  Have you noticed that some of Tom Cruise's movies seem to reference being clear, or awakening in some way?  Like Edge of Tomorrow, where he relives the same day over and over, learning more and more each day, until he becomes "clear"

53 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

I never, for a moment, thought you did :cheers:

If you are still struggling at the end of the month, let me know and I will come over and hold your hand while you get back on your feet (so to speak).

I'll need to borrow a wheel (dibs on the MSuper) and a bed, but I can bring my own lunch if that helps?

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Clearwater, what a good name for the home of Scientology.  Have you noticed that some of Tom Cruise's movies seem to reference being clear, or awakening in some way?  Like Edge of Tomorrow, where he relives the same day over and over, learning more and more each day, until he becomes "clear"

Wasn't that called Groundhog Day?

18 minutes ago, Greg Spalding said:

I've never understood tax exempt status for any church. I just don't understand since this country was founded on the tenet of separation church and state

After a recent election in this country is well documented that Scientologist cause a hell of a lot less problems this country than a lot of other religions... None of them deserve tax-exempt status. Thousands of acres in every city in America without any kind input into the tax rolls. I'll just never understand it. Again, I'm sure that is far too controversial for this forum... As well it should be

Ok cool well I'm glad it doesn't affect your day-to-day lifestyle. That documentary and also some videos on youtube give a shall we say, 'unflattering' look on what it can sometimes be like in and around Scientology-centric areas of the world.

Thanks again ? ?

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Such a dichotomy in my mind about that guy... So many the movies he is made I loved.... But what a piece of garbage with a horrible way he has treated his wives in the ridiculous jumping up And down on the couch he once did about Demi Moore after she admitted she had depression... In an attempt to help other people.... And Tom Cruise that dumbass made fun of anyone who would take medication for depression... What a piece of shit

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

If you are still struggling at the end of the month, let me know and I will come over and hold your hand while you get back on your feet (so to speak).

I'll need to borrow a wheel (dibs on the MSuper) and a bed, but I can bring my own lunch if that helps?

Sounds like a great idea to me

We are in

To be fair, I don't think the Mini Pro helped. 
I tried my wifes the other week - and went flying, I have no idea how she rides it at full speed without falling off. It feels so unstable to me. 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

To be fair, I don't think the Mini Pro helped. 
I tried my wifes the other week - and went flying, I have no idea how she rides it at full speed without falling off. It feels so unstable to me. 

it's odd

i'm always at full speed

it always seem out of control.... small wheels/2 of them (goes crazy on uneven surfaces)

never bothers me

who knows why

Day 2 update:

I rode for only an hour this morning because I'm still somewhat tired since yesterday...

But I believe I did have a bit of a first "AHA" moment when my body just automatically allowed me to write much further lawmaking incremental adjustments left and right of the wheel to keep me in the straight line. Had trouble controlling my speed because I didn't ride the MCM 4 which did not fall as much but did get out of control once as I came off in stayed upright for too long of a period of time and stopped when the LEFT pedal hit a pole... Now I hear something rattling around inside but the wheel is working fine. I have no idea what that means and I don't want to know but I know that the wheel is far smoother than the one for training and this is the reason why my MSUPER v3 sits in the corner and waits its turn.

I appreciate all the encouragement and again the MCM 4 is working fine and I'm not sure what to do about that rattling. 

For now, nothing

Perhaps you guys might have a notion

Greg, since it's all fresh in my mind, unlike these seasoned pros.  Hers my 2c From one newbie to a re-newbie.  Just keep practising.

this is what I did. All days approximate, not always contiguous.  Now bear in mind, at each stage I was not sure I would make it to the next stage.  I had to put in a lot of hours,  no quick study for me.  Have over 120KM now.

day 1. In the (rented ) house back and forth 5 feet holding onto sideboard. Very unsteady.  Realised this was going to take some work.

day 2. Outdoor basket ball court surrounded by waist high fence.  Glide alone fence line gradually going further without assistance.   All in straightish line, no real attempt at turning.  Max glide 30M

day 3 drive way, of out of use stadium, with railing on each side.  No real attempt at turning. Max glide 60m

day 4 stadium again. Followed curve of drive all the way to Main Street.  Max glide 100M

left France arrived Spain.  looking for new training venue.  100M down road found 100m x 100m closed off car park.  

Day 5, 6. Used pay machines to get on wheel.  More wide gentle turns.  Many falls, full pads and tether as usual. 

Day 7, 8, 9,10 Castelldefel promenade, 40 feet wide, est 3 to 4 KM long, concentrated on going in a straight line only. Get off and use lamp post to get back on at either end or after an off.  Just trying to get comfortable with riding and staying on. Nothing else.

day 11. Back to car park to practice turns, slow, wide, unsteady, mostly right only, lefts wouldn't come. Starting to pull off some proper, unassisted mounts. Mostly bad some good

day 12, 13 .... Back to promenade. No more straight lines. Everything is a turn, wide turns, shallow turns fast turns slow turns.  180s 360s 720s figure eights, lots of figure eights.  Breakthrough moment, started doing sharp short slalom turns at very low speed. Practiced turning by bending legs, by thinking about keeping legs straight and swivelling my feet, by swivelling my hips, by swivelling my knees,  by rotating torso into direction of turn, by any combination of the above.  Found that each turn is a little bit of all of them, ratio depends on the situation  and what my body remembered todo first.  Found I could now roll in a straight line at walking speed for a long way.  Couldn't do that before.  Learned wide carving slalom turns with both calves against pads as per @Tilmann advice.

its been a long road, to get here. Still a long way to go.  Today there must have been 1,000, people walking, riding, skating, cycling, jogging, and scootering up and down the promenade.  Kids, dogs, old people (anyone older than my 54 is an old person) 3 days ago I couldn't have gone there.  Today, I'm slicing through them like a pro (safely and with consideration, of course), and any stumbles were safety contained by my tether.  I suspect it will be a long road for you too. But we all know you will get there Put in the hours, forget that you once could do this a bit.  It might be messing with your head.  Soon, real soon, you'll be calving your own promenade full of people. I promise. Work work, work.

8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Greg, since it's all fresh in my mind, unlike these seasoned pros.  Hers my 2c From one newbie to a re-newbie.  Just keep practising.

this is what I did. All days approximate, not always contiguous.  Now bear in mind, at each stage I was not sure I would make it to the next stage.  I had to put in a lot of hours,  no quick study for me.  Have over 120KM now.

day 1. In the (rented ) house back and forth 5 feet holding onto sideboard. Very unsteady.  Realised this was going to take some work.

day 2. Outdoor basket ball court surrounded by waist high fence.  Glide alone fence line gradually going further without assistance.   All in straightish line, no real attempt at turning.  Max glide 30M

day 3 drive way, of out of use stadium, with railing on each side.  No real attempt at turning. Max glide 60m

day 4 stadium again. Followed curve of drive all the way to Main Street.  Max glide 100M

left France arrived Spain.  looking for new training venue.  100M down road found 100m x 100m closed off car park.  

Day 5, 6. Used pay machines to get on wheel.  More wide gentle turns.  Many falls, full pads and tether as usual. 

Day 7, 8, 9,10 Castelldefel promenade, 40 feet wide, est 3 to 4 KM long, concentrated on going in a straight line only. Get off and use lamp post to get back on at either end or after an off.  Just trying to get comfortable with riding and staying on. Nothing else.

day 11. Back to car park to practice turns, slow, wide, unsteady, mostly right only, lefts wouldn't come. Starting to pull off some proper, unassisted mounts. Mostly bad some good

day 12, 13 .... Back to promenade. No more straight lines. Everything is a turn, wide turns, shallow turns fast turns slow turns.  180s 360s 720s figure eights, lots of figure eights.  Breakthrough moment, started doing sharp short slalom turns at very low speed. Practiced turning by bending legs, by thinking about keeping legs straight and swivelling my feet, by swivelling my hips, by swivelling my knees,  by rotating torso into direction of turn, by any combination of the above.  Found that each turn is a little bit of all of them, ratio depends on the situation  and what my body remembered todo first.  Found I could now roll in a straight line at walking speed for a long way.  Couldn't do that before.  Learned wide carving slalom turns with both calves against pads as per @Tilmann advice.

its been a long road, to get here. Still a long way to go.  Today there must have been 1,000, people walking, riding, skating, cycling, jogging, and scootering up and down the promenade.  Kids, dogs, old people (anyone older than my 54 is an old person) 3 days ago I couldn't have gone there.  Today, I'm slicing through them like a pro (safely and with consideration, of course), and any stumbles were safety contained by my tether.  I suspect it will be a long road for you too. But we all know you will get there Put in the hours, forget that you once could do this a bit.  It might be messing with your head.  Soon, real soon, you'll be calving your own promenade full of people. I promise. Work work, work.

Thank you so much for your advice and for taking all that time to put all of that on paper

Interesting that you are using the tether because of course most people don't because I was training on a rubberized basketball court and a local school during off hours the wheel does bounce around a lot once it falls and I have not used the tether. Maybe I should have because now there is something loose inside my MCM after it got away from me earlier during my training. I have no idea why there is a noise but it is working fine and I was using it as my training wheel.

Putting in the time is what I must do I am going to go back out for an hour more later and I will practice an hour or two each of the next three days when I am off of workBut I cannot use that rubberized basketball court anymore because the school be open and the children will be there.

I must find another venue

I will get there and I imagine the time it takes me Will be very equivalent to what you have experienced as you eloquently said above... As opposed to others who have learned more quickly. Of course, there are many who have taken even longer and I might be one of those. Eventually, I will get there and I am looking forward to that

Thank you so much, for everything

Greg

That court was doing you no good anyway. You need a long space to ride, so that you don't have to fall or get off every 20m and don't have to worry about turning. The more time you spend with that wheel rolling between your legs the quicker it will feel comfortable and natural. Getting on and off is tiring.  Once it feels natural to roll a long way, you can start thinking about turning.  Just add a little bit at a time.

To tether or not to tether.  Your call. Outside, your wheel will take some knocks if you let it ricochet all over the place.  My wheel has gone nuts only 2 or 6 times? , not bad for over 100 offs (est). Don't worry about looking like a dork, It will be your nickel if you shoot your wheel into the side of Ferrari, or into a crowd of kiddies, not the people who you're worried about impressing.  You don't know them and they don't know you, and you're doing stuff they can't even dream of, so who gives a flip.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That court was doing you no good anyway. You need a long space to ride, so that you don't have to fall or get off every 20m and don't have to worry about turning. The more time you spend with that wheel rolling between your legs the quicker it will feel comfortable and natural. Getting on and off is tiring.  Once it feels natural to roll a long way, you can start thinking about turning.  Just add a little bit at a time.

To tether or not to tether.  Your call. Outside, your wheel will take some knocks if you let it ricochet all over the place.  My wheel has gone nuts only 2 or 6 times? , not bad for over 100 offs (est). Don't worry about looking like a dork, It will be your nickel if you shoot your wheel into the side of Ferrari, or into a crowd of kiddies, not the people who you're worried about impressing.  You don't know them and they don't know you, and you're doing stuff they can't even dream of, so who gives a flip.

You are very wise

I was getting ready to get the car and go back over to that court again but I guess it makes no sense and I don't know other places where there are places to hold on to be quite honest with you. There I was holding onto the chain-link fence that was 10 feet tall surrounding the entire rubberized court. I can go out into the street in front of my house but there's nothing to hold onto. I must come up with an idea of where to go next which I've been thinking about all day since leaving the court

The court is great, IF you haven't found another place yet.  If you can roll 30 or 40 feet you don't need a fence if you have lamp posts, municipal trash cans, street signs, garden walls, gate posts, anything taller than about 3 feet with a clear run to get you rolling up to speed.  Jump off? Fine, walk to the next assistance point or back to the last.  My 100 by 100 parking lot had 3 payment centres to launch from, and that was it.  But I made it work. You can too. Look at your town with a fresh set of eyes.  Training sites are everywhere, hiding in plain sight ??

Might want to open the wheel up to see what is rattling.  A loose screw bouncing around could land in a bad spot, and with 67.2 V at some spots it could be trouble. It could just be a loose cable wih a connector hitting the side.  If Jane Mo can do it with those long fingernails you can do it too!

Archived