Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Phones Banned on Flights! Update: Now the Note 2 Catches Fire

Rehab1

After several fire incidents in recent weeks, it looks as if Samsung is going to settle the debate about air transport of lithium-ion batteries as cargo all by themselves. Cargo carriers, including Air Canada Cargo and Finnair Cargo, are now joining passenger carriers in banning Samsung’s Galaxy Note 7 smartphone, due to the device’s lithium-ion battery’s propensity to burst into flames.

Australian carrier Qantas, its budget unit Jetstar and Virgin Australia first banned the device from passenger flights beginning Sept. 8, and dozens of other carriers around the world subsequently followed suit. However, now cargo divisions are getting in on the act. Finnair issued an embargo on the device on Sept. 12, including, “new shipments to distributors and possible return shipments from customers.”

The following day, Air Canada Cargo posted a notice that, “As a result of the recent global recall of all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 devices, due to issues with its lithium battery, Air Canada Cargo will not accept these items for transport until further notice,” with the exception of  “shipments of Note 7 devices originating directly from the manufacturer out of Korea and Vietnam, which will be accepted for transport.”

This latest crisis adds to a growing movement in the aviation industry to regulate lithium-ion batteries aboard cargo flights.

Back in April, the United Nations aviation regulator ICAO banned lithium-ion batteries in stand-alone bellyhold shipments on passenger aircraft. Last month, The International Air Transport Association (IATA) warned that a lack of regulation and enforcement in the lithium-ion battery supply chain poses serious security threats.

IATA has viewed the lithium battery issue as a quality control problem and advocates stricter rules and enforcement against a few “bad apple” shippers rather than across-the-board bans. The organization has also warned that unless the entire battery supply chain is regulated and monitored, further incidents are inevitable.

After reading this story I now realize that EUC's large Lithium Ion batteries will never be allowed on flights?

image.jpeg

Flying back from England to New Zealand earlier this week announcements made...

For the first two flights (on Lufthansa) they did the normal  no transmitting functions, et cetera and then went on to say that Galaxy Note 7 devices must remain powered off for the entire flight and were not allowed to be charged at all.

Air New Zealand didn't make any special mention (or either the international or domestic legs). I am spending next week in Auckland (without my wheel - again) so will see if it is mentioned, either flying up on Monday or back on Friday.

@The Fat Unicyclist My lord you travel a lot! If I can ask, what is your occupation that keeps you away so often? Glad you made it back safe after your last leg of the flight! How did it feel getting back on your wheel? I thought about your long travels and missing your wheel and the issues  @KingSong69 has had in his attempts to  transport his EUC. Now I have became a hound for any news relating to  Lipo batteries exploding and ongoing research for a solution.  

Renting EUCs appears to be the only option at the moment. Unfortunately no one offers that opportunity. Interestingly you can rent an airplane if your licensed and certified in the particular make and model  offered. 

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Proud of you!! Great piece!  You do watch the news between Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad?? BBC always has great, in depth coverage of current events!...Fair and Balanced! Oops, Fox News intro.

Just an actual example of how it runs with batterie vehicles...Casey Neistat got rid of his Boosted Board by Emirates ;-)

look at 11:50 till end :-)

also this is an good example how those "airline regulations" are handled:

he took it with him from Amerika to Australia on Emirates...no problem!

On the way back (also Emirates) it was a "No Go"

On 9/18/2016 at 10:58 AM, KingSong69 said:

Just an actual example of how it runs with batterie vehicles...Casey Neistat got rid of his Boosted Board by Emirates ;-)

I'm somewhat a believer in Technological Determinism, in that particular technologies will eventually dominate (Electric Unicycles) because of their intrinsic merits over competing platforms. eSkateboards, & such like, might have a temporary niche, but as these Riders enviously look on at the vastly superior capabilities of a Wheel (5-10x the range, superior maneuverability, greater power, smallest footprint, go-practically-anywhere versatility) which adrenaline junkie can resist the inevitable pull of THE Wheel?

On a related note, phone makers are now getting in on the 'partial charge' act. We've been offering this capability on some of our high-end Wheel for the past six months.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-temporary-fix-note-7-problem-ota-update-limit-charge-60-716163/
Samsung is currently working on an OTA update for the Galaxy Note 7 that would permanently limit the capacity of the battery to 60%. In other words, following the update, devices will stop charging when reaching 60% of their battery capacity. Presumably, this will keep the battery’s energy density at a safe level and prevent the short-circuit phenomenon that Samsung pinpointed as the culprit for the wave of Note 7 fires and explosions.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/16/09/01/166245/sony-to-boost-smartphone-batteries-because-people-arent-replacing-phones

Sony mobile's senior product marketing manager, said; "We've started learning your charging cycles so that our new Xperia X smartphones only complete charging to 100% when they estimate you're about to start using them, so that the damage caused by maintaining a battery at 100% is negated. This is important, a battery that's usually kept at a charge between 20% and 80% of its capacity is much healthier -- it's going to the extremes that wears it out at a faster rate. This is important, a battery that's usually kept at a charge between 20% and 80% of its capacity is much healthier - it's going to the extremes that wears it out at a faster rate. 

15 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Not much sympathy for Neistat and his belove'd BoostedBoard. Day before he received our 14C he ran into some pedestrians on his Board, then in the opening sequence of the day he received the KS Wheel, he's taking a cab because it's out of juice! The guy gives it away, without even opening up the box, to some feckless youth who happens to be in the workshop at the time. 

I'm somewhat a believer in Technological Determinism, in that particular technologies will eventually dominate (Electric Unicycles) because of their intrinsic merits over competing platforms. eSkateboards, & such like, might have a temporary niche, but as these Riders enviously look on at the vastly superior capabilities of a Wheel (5-10x the range, superior maneuverability, greater power, smallest footprint, go-practically-anywhere versatility) which adrenaline junkie can resist the inevitable pull of THE Wheel?

I also did not like what he done with the 14c!

seams his first experiences got him away from testing EUC's further...and that will not change unless someone is driving and taking over when he is driving boosted at 20mph :-) so that he sees the real capabilties of EUC's!

But didn't you also say he generated some sells when your company was mentioned in this video?

Also: this was just an example of how it goes on airports with electric vehicles...

On 9/18/2016 at 3:16 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Flying back from England to New Zealand earlier this week announcements made...

For the first two flights (on Lufthansa) they did the normal  no transmitting functions, et cetera and then went on to say that Galaxy Note 7 devices must remain powered off for the entire flight and were not allowed to be charged at all.

Air New Zealand didn't make any special mention (or either the international or domestic legs). I am spending next week in Auckland (without my wheel - again) so will see if it is mentioned, either flying up on Monday or back on Friday.

And indeed Air New Zealand now has an advisory from either the US FAA or the IATA (can't remember which) advising that Galaxy Note 7 devices must remain off and cannot be charged during the flight...

17 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist My lord you travel a lot! If I can ask, what is your occupation that keeps you away so often? Glad you made it back safe after your last leg of the flight! How did it feel getting back on your wheel?

Yeah, I suppose I do spend a bit of time in planes - I used to think it was bad that the bar staff in the NZ airport lounges new my drink order, but coming back from Vancouver to Auckland the steward recognised me from previous trips, which was almost embarrassing - I did get good service though.

So I am an IT Architect (or "Software Engineer" in American), and in a very obscure area. I work a lot with software integration for high-speed digital printing and mail-processing hardware. As an example, one of the more recent printers we installed prints @ 25 pages per second - and my scope for that piece of work included ensuring that the data was able to be supplied fast enough to prevent the printer from being starved of input... So very obscure, but I get to play with some cool toys (that printer is 35m long) and travel a bit.

As for getting back on my wheel - it didn't happen... I was only home for six days before leaving again, and pretty much the whole time was a solid Wellington storm. And a solid storm in Wellington combines the wind with the rain, so that it falls more horizontal than vertically. So what with the flooding and trees falling, I thought I might just wait.

So when I do get home it will have been four whole pedestrian weeks... :(

2 minutes ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Darn I could have sworn he was an international male gigolo.  Oh well there goes my theory down the drain... :rolleyes:

Everyone needs a cover story...

19 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So I am an IT Architect (or "Software Engineer" in American),

I like that term IT Architect! Sounds much more impressive! MG...35m long printer. Please send a photo of this beast!

19 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

So when I do get home it will have been four whole pedestrian weeks... :(

OMG...4 weeks without riding. That stinks! Your somatosensory inputs will be a but rusty. Safe travels!

8 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I like that term IT Architect! Sounds much more impressive! MG...35m long printer. Please send a photo of this beast!

OMG...4 weeks without riding. That stinks! Your somatosensory inputs will be a but rusty. Safe travels!

Now a photo of that I can do... Perhaps even a crappy video - as it is much cooler when it is running.

And yes my tomato-sensors are shot (whatever they are)!

On 9/20/2016 at 11:58 AM, Rehab1 said:

MG...35m long printer. Please send a photo of this beast!

Okay, so please accept my apologies for the really crappy video (I really must order that Yi 4K action camera)...But here is a walk-past of one of my work toys...

http://www.ccv.adobe.com/v1/player/4HGAyEadnIh/embed

The footnotes for anyone geeky enough to want to watch this...

• The roll of paper at the beginning starts off around 12km (7 miles) long
  • It moves at 122m (400 feet) per minute.
  • The boxes after the main printer bit add perforations, slit the paper to width and cut it to the finished (A4 size)
  • Output is about 25 pages per second

And for the uber geeks amongst you...

• We have 144 RIP servers to ensure enough processing power to maintain full speed
  • The connection to the printer consists of over 100 fibre optic pairs
  • This is an inkjet printer, and if we turned everything on, it would jet a little over half a billion drops of ink every second

But despite all of that, it is still a little less exciting than my EUC!

1 minute ago, KingSong69 said:

This here:

As i started the thread here

He crash landed and broke his samsung, still doesn't use an EUC, but he does know how to use one.. maybe cause he has something to do with boosted board as he is their consultant 

53 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Okay, so please accept my apologies for the really crappy video (I really must order that Yi 4K action camera)...But here is a walk-past of one of my work toys...

http://www.ccv.adobe.com/v1/player/4HGAyEadnIh/embed

No apologizes necessary! OMG...just look at the size and complexity of that printer! Now at least I have a partial idea of the scope of your career. Thanks for sharing!

7 minutes ago, OliverH said:

No. My question was more in general ;) Why do this people get a fan crowd for doing things no one needs to know? Wasted bits and bytes.

...and lot's o time viewing these, i know i'm throwing away 10 minutes of my life each day 

On 21/09/2016 at 10:39 PM, Rehab1 said:

OMG...just look at the size and complexity of that printer! Now at least I have a partial idea of the scope of your career. Thanks for sharing!

And here's the latest toy that I'm working on - we had to run it up today (with the covers open) for a demonstration, so I took the opportunity to grab a few seconds of video for you all...

http://www.ccv.adobe.com/v1/player/QtQifyQQz9F/embed

If you ever find that you need to sort through 45000 mail items and you only have an hour to do it, then this is the way to do it! 

Archived