Ninebot One E+ Pedal Mods with Inmotion V5F+ characteristics

Rehab1

Let me begin by saying I love both my NB 1E+ and the Inmotion V5F+. Each one has it's own characteristics in regards to agility, smoothness, speed and distance.

The pedal height of the NB1 has always been an issue for me especially after riding the V5F+. When I attempted to turn in sharp circles the NB1 pedals would always hit the ground. Not so with the V5F+. So I began investigating on how difficult it would be to change the NB1 pedal heights and angulations to mimic the V5F+ configuration. As I found out , it is not difficult at all. Below are some photos of the modification. 

The NB1 is now able to perform shape turns like the V5F+ without hitting the pedals on the ground and my stability is enhanced. IMG_3614gif.gif

IMG_3601gif.gif

IMG_3602gif.gif

IMG_3613gif.jpg

IMG_3615.gif

Not a bad idea! I guess it might be easier to try to ride on one leg as well? I am not able to, I feel my foot slides off the footplate if I try.:-)

@rolauk @Scullyi road more last night on the modified NB1 and I never would have thought adding a 10 degree inclination to the pedal angle would have such a positive effect. I was always focusing on my foot position and slippage before the mods. Now as I weave in and out of cones and do shape turns my feet stay planted. I am sure the Inmotion engineers spent a great deal of time deciding on the pedal angle of the V5F+. Going from 5 degrees to 15 degrees on the NB 1 did not affect my balance one bit. It is now nice not to worry about dragging my pedals anymore.

You can always experiment to see if you like modification by using a simple wooden shim in place of the metal strip. I would just use some double faced taped to hold it in place and the go out and ride.

Great job on the mod, Rehab!  Looks very solid.  What's the comfort like on longer runs?  I might be concerned that the increased inward slope might place extra pressure on the outer aspect of the feet resulting in increased strain as it's not a natural position to stand on inclined planes.

@HunkaHunkaBurningLove Sorry buddy I am out of reputations. I owe you one. I love it. It is the same angle as the V5F+ and their engineer's knees are just fine.Oh course if you have some mal-alignment of your knees it might be an issue like if your bowlegged. I did have to take off my protective padding as the NB1 has a  wider body than the V5F+. . Just try it temporarily. 

Go to home depot or lumber yard and pick up some wooden shims used for installing doors and such. Cut off the shim so the thick end it approximately .080 in thickness.Don't touch the thin tapered ends of the shims as you want it as thin as possible. You can use some double faced tape to temporarily secure it to the top of pedal stop. Don't even roughen up the pedal stop at this point. You can play around with the angle by simply moving the shin in towards the NB body or away from it. You might try just adding 5 degrees. I did not try it with the factory foot treads as I now use the gripper tape. You would like the tape as well. I am never going back. To slippery.

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I now use the gripper tape. You would like the tape as well.

Do you have a link to the gripper tape you use? My IPS191 came with grip tape installed, and I like it very much. It substantially reduces the amount that my feet shift around when going over bumps. I've been interested in applying grip tape to my IPS121 pedals, but I haven't shopped for it yet.

38 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Do you have a link to the gripper tape you use? My IPS191 came with grip tape installed, and I like it very much. It substantially reduces the amount that my feet shift around when going over bumps. I've been interested in applying grip tape to my IPS121 pedals, but I haven't shopped for it yet.

My IPS191 came with grip tape - but it was very thin / cheap and it started coming off soon after the letters...

So I shot down to the local skateboard shop and got a (skateboard sized) sheet for ~US$10 . I should get about 5-6 "refreshes" of that one sheet, and this stuff is so industrial that should last me a few years. 

My first ride after applying it, I felt like my feet were glued in place! 

After reading your post, I wanted to test higher pedal inclination. I simply used epoxy paste similar to THIS ONE (many brands produce this kind of paste). A very thin layer is sufficient. You have to thoroughly clean the aluminum support with alcohol then lay a thin layer of epoxy paste. You spray silicon grease on the pedal (to avoid it from being bond to the epoxy paste) then you lower it and press on it until you reach the inclination you want. For my part 10°.

Result is more control but the ankles are aching a little bit until you find a new position for your feet.

@MaxLinux Sorry for the late reply! Here is the tape I used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A2CVT1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@Gil Perfect..you experimented...Awesome! It is not for everyone. You do have to get used to mounting the new inclined pedals a bit as they are higher. I missed the pedal on my first attempt dragging it up with my foot into the stowed position. I immediately looked around to make sure no one was watching:huh:

@rolauk Cheap experiment...try it. You can easily remove the shim. Start out with just a few degrees.

Archived